Hearts of Palm

****So I'm going to be doing my second Whole30. I think a big part of my success in staying on track the first time around was trying to incorporate a lot of variety in my food, both finding new ways to fix things, as well as trying new-to-me food items. It was really pretty fun. I'm already planning the same this time around, so I thought it might be helpful to share some of my ideas and discoveries. I guess this forum will be the best place for me to post. Please let me know if these are helpful to you :)********

Hearts of Palm:

I think this is an underrated veggie! I first had it in a salad last year some time at a restaurant, and enjoyed the unique addition to the salad. I found several varieties easily at Whole Foods, both canned and bottled. Haven't looked anywhere else yet. Last night I chopped some up in a veggie salad at dinner, but as I put the rest in the fridge I wondered what else might be good to do with them. A quick google search gave me three new ideas:

--putting them in a charcuterie plate alongside things like olives, and W30-comp prosciutto, etc.

--grilling them (you could use this recipe as a template - use ghee instead of butter, and skip the cheddar - http://www.paleo-project.com/twofaced-hearts-of-palm/)

--pureed in a dip (http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/2012/06/twofaced-heart-of-palm.html) I would skip the pork rinds and dip celery, carrot sticks, cucumber spears

I'm going to probably try the dip today. I'll try to report back with a review :)

How bout it? Do you use hearts of palm? Do you have any unique ideas for it? Please share!!

Thanks, Tom!!! I might have to try that, too!!

BTW, I made the dip yesterday, and it was very, very good!! It had a definite hummus-like consistency and even taste (although still different). If you enjoy hummus, you'd probably like this. I will definitely be making this again.

In a skillet, I combine olive oil, garlic, a squeeze of lemon, a couple of sun-dried tomatoes, a few leaves of baby spinach, and a handful of sliced hearts of palm. Simmer to blend flavors, maybe add capers. Terrific as a simmer sauce for chicken or fish, or as a topping on baked or broiled chicken or fish.

Archived