I am about to embark on my 1st 30-day journey and I am so excited! I have always known the health benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar--but ew, right? Anyway, one day I was shopping in the specialty food section at Marshall's and found a bottle of pineapple infused "drinking vinegar", and thought, okkk! So I bought it and let me tell y'all! --IT WAS DELICIOUS! BUT--contains sugar :(

I am looking into making  my own, but ALL the recipes call for sugar. Anyone have any ideas for something to take away the sharp acidity of the vinegar? :)

Have you tried Kombucha.  Some think it tastes like vinegar, too.  You could add ACV to your salad and your salad could have some berries or other fruit mixed in with the greens. Drinking fruit juices is not recommended even though a small amount of fruit juice is allowed for recipes.  You can save these fruit drinks for post W30.

• Moderators

You don't have to add the sugar -- you can just do fruit and vinegar and end up with infused vinegar, or something more like a shrub, which is meant to be mixed with other liquids, not something you drink straight. You'd add a splash to your water or to some sparkling water. This recipe talks about using it in salad dressings and marinades, but ought to work work for this as well: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/08/22/Home-made-Fruit-Vinegar-sugar-free  (Obviously, don't add the optional stevia.) Most of the recommendations I've seen for using apple cider vinegar suggest about a teaspoon to a tablespoon per day -- you should easily be able to get that much in your water without adding any sweetener. 

If you were doing it simply for the flavor of something to add to water, you could play with different vinegars as well, and get different flavors from that -- a champagne vinegar will have a very different flavor from a balsamic, and acv is totally different than either of those. I don't know how the health benefits compare between different vinegars, though.

OH hahha DUH! ok, so I usually do this on Monday's and blame that day, but today is Sunday, and ummm......ummm...hmm. ?.. ok silly me! Must be this God awful at-home bleached hair I just did! LOL! ACV! I knew that! I am so into researching this today, I'm thinking it was sum magic potion! LOL! THANKS!! ;)

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

You don't have to add the sugar -- you can just do fruit and vinegar and end up with infused vinegar, or something more like a shrub, which is meant to be mixed with other liquids, not something you drink straight. You'd add a splash to your water or to some sparkling water. This recipe talks about using it in salad dressings and marinades, but ought to work work for this as well: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/08/22/Home-made-Fruit-Vinegar-sugar-free  (Obviously, don't add the optional stevia.) Most of the recommendations I've seen for using apple cider vinegar suggest about a teaspoon to a tablespoon per day -- you should easily be able to get that much in your water without adding any sweetener. 

If you were doing it simply for the flavor of something to add to water, you could play with different vinegars as well, and get different flavors from that -- a champagne vinegar will have a very different flavor from a balsamic, and acv is totally different than either of those. I don't know how the health benefits compare between different vinegars, though.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, alliemcpherson said:

OH, and Shannon--have you ever heard of, or used Braggs ACV? Supposed to help everything!  here: http://www.naturallivingideas.com/drinking-apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

I use it -- I'm not 100% convinced it's the magical stuff they claim, but it's the acv I usually buy and use for salad dressings, I occasionally put a splash of it in water to drink (I actually like the flavor, and it doesn't upset my stomach -- I have friends who think it's weird that I like it, and others who say it just doesn't agree with them and gives them heartburn or other digestive issues).  I've made quick pickles with it (just slice whatever vegetables you like, cover in a vinegar and salt mix, and add spices if you want, let sit in the fridge for at least a few minutes, up to a few weeks). It's definitely useful. 

Archived