Am I on the right track?

sfruss13

I'm finishing up Day 6, although I fear I may have to start over...my husband threw out the sausage package and I forgot to check if it had any sugar in it. UGH I'm going to be so pissed if it did!

I know Day 6 is still a weird in-between period, and I'm definitely still having some energy and digestive issues. But I just want to make sure my meals look right. I'm trying to follow the template, but I'm a pretty active person and am afraid I'm going too easy on the carbs.

My meal for tomorrow (a day I plan to run at least 3 miles) looks like this:

Breakfast - a pumpkin-apple breakfast bake (made with eggs and coconut milk) and walnuts on top; 1 cup cucumber slices

Lunch - curry (made with tomato sauce and coconut milk) with chicken thighs and potatoes on cauliflower rice

Snack - tuna and 1.5 cups mixed veggies; 1 banana

Dinner - sauteed chicken breasts in balsamic vinegar; roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes

If anyone has a few minutes to give some feedback, I'd be eternally grateful. I've got friends saying that I'm going too light on the carbs, but I'm trying to follow the template.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sfruss13 said:

I'm finishing up Day 6, although I fear I may have to start over...my husband threw out the sausage package and I forgot to check if it had any sugar in it. UGH I'm going to be so pissed if it did!

I know Day 6 is still a weird in-between period, and I'm definitely still having some energy and digestive issues. But I just want to make sure my meals look right. I'm trying to follow the template, but I'm a pretty active person and am afraid I'm going too easy on the carbs.

My meal for tomorrow (a day I plan to run at least 3 miles) looks like this:

Breakfast - a pumpkin-apple breakfast bake (made with eggs and coconut milk) and walnuts on top; 1 cup cucumber slices

Lunch - curry (made with tomato sauce and coconut milk) with chicken thighs and potatoes on cauliflower rice

Snack - tuna and 1.5 cups mixed veggies; 1 banana

Dinner - sauteed chicken breasts in balsamic vinegar; roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes

If anyone has a few minutes to give some feedback, I'd be eternally grateful. I've got friends saying that I'm going too light on the carbs, but I'm trying to follow the template.

Your breakfast is not recommended.  That's a very fruit/carb heavy 'breakfast' item that doesn't quite follow the template.  Steer away from sweet breakfast foods and eat protein, veggies and fat... Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people, that's 3-4.  Plate FULL of veggies - if you're doing starchy carbs (pumpkin) then you're looking for a fist sized serving which if you scooped as such would not have the appropriate protein (see where these things get a bit iffy?).

If you were eating a more suitable breakfast you likely wouldnt need the snack.

Your dinner doesn't list any fat (add a plated fat to every meal).

As far as carbs, I'm not sure what your friends are getting at because you have starchy carbs at every meal.  The recommendaiton is a fist sized serving to start and then up if you're very active, breastfeeding, pregnant, a person with mild mood disorders etc... 

Do you do pre or post workout?

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your breakfast is not recommended.  That's a very fruit/carb heavy 'breakfast' item that doesn't quite follow the template.  Steer away from sweet breakfast foods and eat protein, veggies and fat... Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people, that's 3-4.  Plate FULL of veggies - if you're doing starchy carbs (pumpkin) then you're looking for a fist sized serving which if you scooped as such would not have the appropriate protein (see where these things get a bit iffy?).

If you were eating a more suitable breakfast you likely wouldnt need the snack.

Your dinner doesn't list any fat (add a plated fat to every meal).

As far as carbs, I'm not sure what your friends are getting at because you have starchy carbs at every meal.  The recommendaiton is a fist sized serving to start and then up if you're very active, breastfeeding, pregnant, a person with mild mood disorders etc... 

Do you do pre or post workout?

Thanks for the tips. Breakfast is a tough one for me because I'm usually on the go in the mornings, but it makes sense to reduce the sweet breakfast foods.

I added the snack pre-workout because when I went for a run the other day I nearly fell on my face I was so hungry (and I thought I had eaten a pretty good meal for lunch). I'm also trying to make sure I literally eat enough food -- I am not trying for weight loss (and in fact cannot afford to lose any weight) but am instead doing Whole30 to try to find any food intolerances that make my colitis worse.

I'll definitely add some fat to my dinner too...maybe some olives and obviously the oil that everything is cooked in.

Archived