THIS time is different

ah28

Hi there,

I'm officially making a Whole30 log after stalking a bunch of others and realizing this could be the key to success.

I am not new to this way of eating, I have followed varying degrees of "paleo" with (way too frequent) slip ups for about a year. Unfortunately, every time I start to see progress I revert back to old habits or binge on such a large amount of nuts (my nemesis) my stomach hurts for days. When I start these binges, it can take almost a week or two to get back to a schedule of healthy eating. The amount of guilt I feel after these episodes is debilitating. This pattern, coupled with the stress of completing college and moving to a new city across the country has led me on the path of weight gain and general dissatisfaction with myself.

Well that was a depressing paragraph.

On to the next one. I am committing to this Whole30 starting today (technically day 0).

1. I will update this log daily with my food intake

2. I will NOT EAT any nuts or nut butters for the full 30 days (as they are a trigger food and I don't tolerate them well).

3. I will stick to my running/crossfit regime but be sure to take one day off per week for complete rest

4. I will practice deep breathing techniques when I feel my stress levels elevating

5. When the going gets tough, I will remember this (from whole9life):

You never, ever, ever HAVE to eat anything you don't want to eat. You're all big boys and girls. Toughen up. Learn to say no (or make your Mom proud and say, “No, thank youâ€). Learn to stick up for yourself. Just because it's your sister's birthday, or your best friend's wedding, or your company picnic does not mean you have to eat anything. It's always a choice, and we would hope that you stopped succumbing to peer pressure in 7th grade.

Thanks for your support.

Ali

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good quote to refer to! It's so true. And, great on identifying your food triggers and personalizing your Whole30 to respect your needs!

I've been the back and forth paleo for a long time until recently, but I think when you're ready to cross over and be all the way, you'll cross over. Like a very wise person once told me, failure isn't truly failure until you quit.

Happy eating!

DAY ONE

breakfast: green tea with coconut oil, 1 egg, spinach and smoked salmon scramble

snack: mushrooms, sliced turkey meat, smoked salmon

lunch: can crabmeat, 1/2 avocado

dinner: tuna burger, 1/2 avocado, spinach, grapes, bite of banana

I guess turkey meat wasn't the highest quality choice but other than that, I think it was a good day. I was never starving and felt good about my choices. I'm a nanny so it can be hard when I am surrounded by "kid food" all the time. Anyway, I SURVIVED DAY ONE!!!!

Alright, already had a slip up on day 2. It went something like this:

breakfast: can of crabmeat, 1/2 avocado, 2 strawberries and green tea with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil

lunch: turkey slices with mustard, 1/2 avocado, spinach and one egg white, bite of apple and cantaloupe

snack: frozen grapes, mixed nuts

dinner: buffalo burger, almonds, and a spoonful of vanilla almond butter

All was great until I was at whole foods and there were samples for cashews!!! It's only the second day and I couldn't stop myself from the cashews! After that, I continued to eat almonds and pecans just because I could. I have no idea why all self control goes out the window when nuts are around...does anyone else have this problem?? The almond butter I ate had sugar in it so we're going to have to start back at day one. I just finished a 10 day work stint (I'm a nanny and have to work for long stretches when the parents are away) so it will definitely help to be more in control of my food choices when I'm at home.

Aaawww, I feel ya on the nuts! It's a frustrating trigger, because if you have nuts around you're likely to overeat, but without them around you might make even worse choices and accept the cookie being offered! At least that's the dilemma I find myself in.

I think you've done the right thing going back to day 1, but I also think you're doing amazingly well for someone who works long hours surrounded by kiddy foods.

Thanks, Ellie Bellie! I don't know if nuts will always be a trigger or if I'll eventually figure out how to deal with them.

Here is DAY ONE of my second (and hopefully final) attempt:

breakfast: 1/2 leftover buffalo burger, 1/4 avocado

snack: 1/2 apple, a couple bites of grilled salmon and grilled chicken

lunch: shrimp + avocado salad with cumin (really good!) and asparagus sautéed in coconut oil

dinner: balsamic mustard chicken and asparagus from lunch

Felt good about the choices today. No nuts anywhere to be found!

Even if you slip up, just start the next day and take it one day at a time. When you feel tempted to eat something non paleo, just think about the reasons you're doing a whole30 and hopefully those reasons will stop you from cheating :) Good luck!

Thanks, Shaunna! I made it through day two!

breakfast: balsamic mustard chicken, 1/2 apple

snack: turkey slices, 2 strawberries, bite of leftover chicken

lunch: 1/2 avocado, shrimp, mixed greens, olive oil

snack: mixed veggies (peppers, cukes, mushrooms),

dinner: grilled chicken, tomato slices, spinach, olive oil

snack: grapes, turkey slices

I felt like I ate a lot today (maybe too much?). I was feeling a little snacky but tried to listen to my body and give it some quality food. I navigated some tricky food choices at work (chicken parmesean on the dinner menu!) and stuck to my guns.

DAY THREE

breakfast: fried egg in coconut oil with asparagus

snack: 1/3 sweet potato, turkey slices

lunch: canned salmon with 1/4 avocado, 1 HB egg, mixed greens

snack: red bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, grapes

dinner: canned salmon with 1/4 avocado, mixed greens, 1/2 sweet potato in coconut oil

What is the general concensus on eating sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables? Is it strictly for post-workout and not recommended for weight-loss? Is it better than eating fruit?

DAY FOUR

B: green tea with coconut oil

L: canned chicken with 1/2 avocado, big mixed greens salad with asparagus, balsamic vinegar

S: hard boiled egg, mixed berries, grapes

D: steak and spinach salad with balsamic

S: more mixed berries, slice of turkey

Definitely over-did it on the fruit. Once I start with that stuff I can't stop! I'm boarding a flight home to

visit my family so this weekend will be a true test of my determination. Ahhh

DAY FIVE

B/L: big huge salad with tons of veggies and chicken/avocado with olive oil and balsamic vinagrette, small piece of salmon

S: chicken sausage, blueberries (a bunch)

D: grilled steak with mushroom/cauliflower "rice" and roasted Brussels sprouts with coconut oil, even more blueberries

I was quite proud of myself for surviving two flights and a 4 hour layover without eating tempting airport snacks (even passed up jetblue's free chips!). I normally pack nuts for when I travel so that was an adjustment.

After I make it through my first successful week, I am going to focus more on limiting fruit intake. My primary focus has been to stay whole30 at all costs (even if that means grabbing fruit instead of chocolate) but I already notice I feel better on days when I eat less fruit.

DAY SIX

B- salmon, asparagus in coconut oil, fried egg

L- snacked on some leftover steak and leftover salmon around lunchtime

S: bites of grilled chicken

D- turkey burger with carmelized onions, mixed greens, couple more bites of chicken

Definitely heavy on the protein today!!

DAY SEVEN

B: HB egg, asparagus in coconut oil, guacamole

L/D: cookout: TONS of grilled chicken, TONS of guacamole, tomato, lettuce, and then TONS of fruit salad

Alright, I have some very mixed feelings about today. I am happy with myself for staying compliant through this weekend even though I have technically been on vacation and visiting home across the country. That was hard. And i did it. Phew. But I am also feeling pretty deprived. I went to a family cookout and did all the things I was supposed to do: I made all the grilled chicken and guacamole so it would be approved and I would definitely have an option, I ate fruit salad instead of the lemon squares and chocolate dessert, I drank water with lemon instead of drinking wine, etc. I should be feeling like money now, right?? Instead I feel like I missed out and even though I am incredibly full (it's safe to say I ate far too much of those foods), I just want something very bad for me.

Does anyone else feel a little resentful after gatherings like this? I guess I'm also a little disappointed that I ate so much fruit salad. I would have rather had those chocolate covered pretzels :(

YEEEES!!! I've been having those same feelings... 3 graduation parties, my 11yr. anniversary, and a huge church social... I have been 100% compliant but felt a little socially dis functional at the same time...it has really shown me how much of our social life revolves around food...

Yes! Not on the Whole30, but I remember going for dinner at my boyf's mum's house when I was on the sugar detox. I had to opt out of the dessert, but ate SO MANY grapes and bits of cheese that I felt like a piggy anyway - and a resentful one at that!

That said, you will feel better in the long run! It was my boyf's birthday, shortly after the detox, and his chocolate cake that totally derailed everything I'd worked hard for. I'm now working on my inner 'holier than thou' thoughts to get me through foodie gatherings.

DAY SEVEN

B: HB egg, asparagus in coconut oil, guacamole

L/D: cookout: TONS of grilled chicken, TONS of guacamole, tomato, lettuce, and then TONS of fruit salad

Alright, I have some very mixed feelings about today. I am happy with myself for staying compliant through this weekend even though I have technically been on vacation and visiting home across the country. That was hard. And i did it. Phew. But I am also feeling pretty deprived. I went to a family cookout and did all the things I was supposed to do: I made all the grilled chicken and guacamole so it would be approved and I would definitely have an option, I ate fruit salad instead of the lemon squares and chocolate dessert, I drank water with lemon instead of drinking wine, etc. I should be feeling like money now, right?? Instead I feel like I missed out and even though I am incredibly full (it's safe to say I ate far too much of those foods), I just want something very bad for me.

Does anyone else feel a little resentful after gatherings like this? I guess I'm also a little disappointed that I ate so much fruit salad. I would have rather had those chocolate covered pretzels :(

Ali I understand what you mean. But to be honest, once you take a bite of any of that junk, you would feel miserable. Then all those 7 days are gone, back to day 1. It's not worth it. You're on your way!

Thanks everyone! I held strong last night and woke up much happier about it. I must say, though, that I woke up still full. Obviously ate too much of the "approved" foods to make up for my deprived feeling.

Shaunna, you're totally right. It's easier to forget that even a taste of that food will make me feel like crap (physically and emotionally) than I would have thought. The reminder is greatly appreciated.

DAY EIGHT

L: big ass salad with avocado, chicken, tons of veggies, hb egg, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

D: salmon with guacamole, cauliflour rice, mixed greens salad with red pepper

Missed breakfast because I wanted to go for a long run. Lunch just turned into my post workout feast. I was traveling today so I packed my salmon dinner and thankfully it made it through security or I would have cried! And by cry I mean sprint to the nearest food stand and stuff myself with junk!

Archived