Help with early mornings

Hi,

I tried to do Whole 30 this past summer and did OK. I will be honest and say that I didn't follow it 100% and when the 30 days were over (even though I told myself I would just add a couple things back.....) so was any semblence of the whold 30 program. I now want to try again but my situation is a bit different and it deals with time constraints. Here is the issue:

I get up at 3:50am and am out the door to exercise by 4:25am. I get back between 6 and 6:10am and need to shower, dress, pack lunches for my kids (food already made) and make sure we have all our stuff together and get out the door by 6:40am. I don't really like to eat cold meat and sweet potatoes and am driving so cutting and eating a meal is kind of difficult. I have been using a nutrition shake because I can drink it while driving and it allows me to get out of the house on time.

Now, I realize planning is the key but how do I could and eat in the amount of time that I have? I am a preschool teacher so after I drop my kids off, my initial work time is spent getting ready for the kids and greating them as they come in so cooking when I get to work isn't an option either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely do the make-ahead egg muffins thing. There are recipes everywhere, but basically you mix eggs with other W30 goodies such as chopped meats and veggies + the spices of your choice, and bake in muffin tins until set. I think these even freeze well. So make up a batch on the weekends, and grab a couple on the way out the door in a baggie or little container. You could totally eat these with one hand.

Start retraining yourself....why do you have to eat cold meat and veg? Are you unable to heat the food at home? Completely ditch whatever the shake is you are drinking, It's not nutritious, it's not compliant and it's against the spirit of the W30.

Pre make a meal for you (ditch the word breakfast, it has limiting connotations), pre cut everything the night before so all you have to do is heat and eat. The premade egg muffin things are a good idea too

You make time for what is important, if eating breakfast is important to you you'll make time and find a way if not, you'll make excuses.

Start retraining yourself....why do you have to eat cold meat and veg? Are you unable to heat the food at home? Completely ditch whatever the shake is you are drinking, It's not nutritious, it's not compliant and it's against the spirit of the W30.

Pre make a meal for you (ditch the word breakfast, it has limiting connotations), pre cut everything the night before so all you have to do is heat and eat. The premade egg muffin things are a good idea too

You make time for what is important, if eating breakfast is important to you you'll make time and find a way if not, you'll make excuses.

I realize Whole 30 is all about the tough love thing and I'm good with that but maybe a bit harsh on the response. I'm not against having non-breakfast food in the morning it is more a eating in the car while driving my kids to school. There is no way of getting around that aspect of my life - my kids must go to school and I must take them. I am doing my best to find ways around this blip and to not make excuses: exercising is important to me so I make sure I exercise at 4:30 in the morning before my family wakes up; being a part of my children's school day is important so I make sure I can take them and pick them up; teaching young children is important to me so I teach and yes trying to feed my body is important to me and I am trying my best to find a way around this issue. Come the summer, this is not an issue but during the school months it is something I need to deal with. So with all due respect please don't try to tell me that I am not trying to find a way.

I will be trying some of the suggestions here and again I thank you for your input. Mjam, if I have mis-interpreted what you wrote I do apologize but I do take all of these aspects of my life very seriously and try to be a good example for not only my kids but the kids I teach as well.

I make simple pan frittatas which take about 10 minutes to make -- maybe you could do this in the evening a couple times a week, as it reheats very well, and you could eat it with your hands pretty easily I suppose... Sauté red onions, spinach and any other veggie on hand, dump in 4-5 eggs lightly beaten, flip it over when cooked nearly thru (or pop the pan in the oven to get the top cooked). I cut it in half, and leave half in the fridge for my son (he wakes after I've left for work), and he tops his with cheese and nukes it for a quick breakfast before he leaves for school. I usually top mine with half an avocado. Or how about egg or tuna salad rolled up in lettuce leaves? You could add in slivered almonds, curry powder, raisins, celery, onions, and you could have it with slices of cucumber instead of wrapped in lettuce. Leftover dinner is good, if there's a way you can make it easy enough to eat on the go. I know you said you don't like cold meat, but my Whole Foods has deli roast beef which only has olive oil, salt and pepper, and it is delicious - a handful of that with some finger veggies (grape tomatoes, snap peas, sliced cucumber, etc) and a handful of olives, yummy. Sounds like for you the key is to put it together the night before. Good luck!

jaxrwild, you are to be commended for taking on so much in your life with your workout, family and work. I hope you'll remember that the limitations of on-line postings cause them to come across a little harsher than intended, sometimes. This is, by far, the most supportive, encouraging community I've been involved in, with truly knowledgeable members and a very hands-on moderation team.

I will tell you something that I learned a long time ago, before I ever became involved with on-line communities or anything like this: results equal results. If you are feeling that someone is telling you that you're making excuses, simply look at the posting that you made and ask yourself if it's possible that they could have come to that conclusion based on what you wrote.

Everyone has challenges, it's sometimes tempting to "weigh" them against each other, but we all have something in common: we want to be healthier and feel better!

No one here is out to criticize anyone else, we are all on our own journey, seeking companionship, support and advice to be more successful.

jaxrwild, you are to be commended for taking on so much in your life with your workout, family and work. I hope you'll remember that the limitations of on-line postings cause them to come across a little harsher than intended, sometimes. This is, by far, the most supportive, encouraging community I've been involved in, with truly knowledgeable members and a very hands-on moderation team.

I will tell you something that I learned a long time ago, before I ever became involved with on-line communities or anything like this: results equal results. If you are feeling that someone is telling you that you're making excuses, simply look at the posting that you made and ask yourself if it's possible that they could have come to that conclusion based on what you wrote.

Everyone has challenges, it's sometimes tempting to "weigh" them against each other, but we all have something in common: we want to be healthier and feel better!

No one here is out to criticize anyone else, we are all on our own journey, seeking companionship, support and advice to be more successful.

Thanks Goddesslynne - thanks for your response. I do understand the limitations of these types of boards which is why I posted the appology at the end. I fully understood that I could have been misreading the intent. I have come to realize that one of my biggest "issues" was trying to hit the "ideal" or "perfection". You read so much information and so many posts and you get completely overwhelmed. So often it is emphasized that we should take our time eating, enjoy the experience and not shove food into our faces - be a mindful eater. That is so not my life in the morining and I think I was trying to find ways to achieve that when it just isn't possible at this time. I tried the egg muffins and i think they are going to be perfect for my current situation. Thanks again for your encouragement and I look forward to spending more time here!

Have you ever tried high intensity interval training? It's a great workout you can do at your home in about 15-20 minutes. I've found it to be a huge time saver in the morning!

Flynn, thanks for your suggestion! I am a distance runner and about 4-5 days a week I meet with a group of runners to get our miles in. I love the group time and it is definitely safer for all of us. I have to admit that I also love HIIT training and do it in conjunction with some of my other cross-training workouts. Thanks again.

jazrwild - I struggle with the same thing, I am up at 4 and either exercise or not, depending on the day, but I'm out the door by 5:15 either way and am then in the car. Eating within an hour of waking is very challenging, as is trying to eat something nutritious and on plan. I also have a perfectionist side and struggle with that as well. My kids are grown now, but I raised 3 of them on my own while working 2 jobs. I feel your pain, I truly do.

I would look at some of the suggestions here and see if any of them work for you. I don't know you or your situation, but I can tell you what worked for me. And by worked I mean stretched me a little beyond my comfort zone but in the end gave me good results. I prepped and then attempted to shove *something* in my mouth that was compliant as early in the day as I could. For me, I saw the benefit of eating soon after waking, although I still eat a small amount. So I kept doing it.

This morning I didn't do my spin session, but I did eat a sardine, an egg, and a few blackberries within an hour-ish of waking. I dump sardines for the week in a container at the beginning of the week and then literally stick my fork in it and grab one and stick it in my mouth each morning. I peel an egg the night before and put it in a small container with some berries or carrots or something similar. I don't care for egg muffins. there is no sitting down, no candlelight, no savoring. And for as long as I have the life I have, there won't be any. So I strive to do it the best that I can.

You'll find what works for your life and also fuels your body effectively, just give something a try as a starting point.

Good luck!

I like to have a batch of hard-boiled eggs on hand, which are easy to eat in the car even. Also if you can find some sugar-free sausage (I know Trader Joe's has one kind that I buy), you can pop it into the microwave and voila! It's amazing that you're making this commitment, and you just need to find the ways that make it work for you!

I find the best car meals for me are small non-sticky things I can grab easily and eat with my fingers. Soooo carrot and celery sticks, grape tomatoes, cucumber discs, and dryish pieces of sliced chicken or steak packed in a flat container on the passenger seat and resting on a towel to stop it sliding -makes it easy to grab pieces out of.

Archived