Whole30 Cooking Without Using the Oven

FitBitzJourney

I love cooking my Whole30 meals for the week and rely on the oven since it's quicker when I want to cook vegetables in bulk. However, once summer hits I don't want to have to rely on the oven so much. Running the AC just so I can cook and not heat up the house is ridiculous. I have cooked my veggies on the stove top, but it takes FOREVER. 

Any tips for anyone who has cooked their veggies in bulk without the oven? My husband loves zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash, but said that cooking them in the Instant Pot made them come out with an aftertaste that wasn't pleasant. 

Hello and thank you for the reply! I do have a grill and I always buy fresh, precut vegetables from the grocery stores. It's been nice roasting them in a sheet pan in the oven because it requires very little monitoring on my part.

I'm probably overthinking this because of the way we split up our meal prep for the week. My husband cooks all the protein (chicken, beef, pork, etc) on the grill right now as it is. I am then responsible for all the veggies. We won't really have room on the grill to do all of it without it being a huge time waster if that makes sense. 

Do you just eat your fresh veggies raw during the summer? 

I'll see what grab-n-go ideas I find out there. That's a great idea! I realize there's still cooking involved, but I was hoping someone had some tricks for how not to be slaving away in front of a grill/stove/oven for their meal preps. Always looking to streamline the process! :) 

Maybe I'll just be eating a lot of gazpacho this summer. Haha!

21 hours ago, FitBitzJourney said:

Do you just eat your fresh veggies raw during the summer? - 

Yeah, and there are so many variations - you can make gazpacho and other cold soups, for instance.

As far as the grill goes, roasting half a cauliflower head is super delicious (and space-saving). Some raw veggies (broccoli etc) can be tougher on your system than others, you just gotta try. Grilled romaine hearts are awesome too.

@MeadowLily - I think the question was about just oven, not cooking overall? Could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what you mean by cooking "in bulk." I hate cooking, personally, and always try to minimize it. Zucchini I usually pan-fry with dill and ghee, adding enough water to keep it from burning. Butternut squash (all squash, actually) I usually just slice down the middle and then sideways a few times to create 6-8 big chunks, then I steam them in a big pot for 45 minutes. We actually don't even have an oven, as our kitchen is tiny and we didn't want to sacrifice the cabinet space. We've managed!

I don't cook in bulk, but I'm a big fan of the microwave.  

For winter squashes, I cut them in half, remove the seeds, and microwave.  A large butternut can take up to 15-25 minutes (I do it in 5 minute increments to start, check, and add another 5 minutes, or 3, or 1 depending on how close to done it is).  A small acorn is going to take much less, and I usually do it it 3 minute bursts.

Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, I wash and cut in smallish pieces (about 1cm) and put in a silicone steamer with some water (1/2 cup, give or take, for 2-5 servings of vegetable). Cover.  Microwave for 3 minutes, and let it rest for about 5 minutes. I tend to just forget it there while I get the rest ready.

Season once it's cooked.

(Here's an example of the steamers, large: https://www.starfrit.com/en/silicone-steamer  and small: https://www.starfrit.com/en/silicone-steamer-3 . )

On 3/31/2018 at 7:06 PM, LI'el said:

I'm not sure what you mean by cooking "in bulk." 

I should have clarified! I mean we meal prep each week and buy a ton of the same veggies and cook it all on Sundays. I like your idea of steaming them though. My husband eats a TON of zucchini so this would be easy to do it this way. 

Archived