EllieH W30 Log

EllieHH

Evening zero...hubby out of town...watching Downton Abbey reruns on Amazon Prime (S1E3 - the Turk is dead...) in front of the fire with trusty labrador girl and having a final glass of champagne (no, I didn't go nuts on my pre w30d1 night :)).   Lunch is packed and breakfast is queued up - (first dinner is dining out but I have downloaded the menu and picked my meal and will have clarified butter in my purse :)) - so here goes!

p.s. got a last minute request to facilitate a high stakes retreat on Monday and Tuesday.  That will be days 5 and 6 for me which looks like "kill all the things" and "I just want a nap" - which doesn't bode well for my facilitation success.  Wish me (and my victims) luck!

Midday day two - doing good so far.  I did feel a little shaky/jittery this morning and had a very weird dream about mini pretzels (which I don't even like) and accidentally eating them and spitting them out and wondering if I had to start over!  I also weighed myself last night because I forgot to do it before I started, but I am not going to call that a slip even though it was at the end of day one and technically after the start.

Day one dinner was at a restaurant, so I was nervous about that but checked the menu and planned my approach and though I did have to send back a salad that had unannounced cheese and croutons, but it was all okay.  I did come with clarified butter in my purse!  

This morning's breakfast was complaint bacon (thank you applewood farms for organic no sugar bacon at my local market) chopped and roasted with brussles sprouts  - DELISH - my favorite thing so far.  And, I made the w30 mayonnaise today which was super fun.  Now I know what that tiny hole in my food processor's pusher is for!  

So it's day 6!  I didn't kill anyone on 4 or 5 and don't seem to be feeling tired and cranky, so it's going pretty well so far.  Today I seem to be hungry, however, and am having to fight a craving or two - otherwise it's been relatively easy so far though I feel like I've never cooked so much in my life!  But, that part has also been distracting so I'm actually glad for it.  Let's see...I've had 3 food dreams!  After the mini-pretzels one it's been tortilla chips and a mini-snickers of all things.  Hmmmm.  That's about it - made some buffalo sauce today and will grill wings so that's kind of exciting.  Have to make the ranch dressing to go with it.  Anyway, that's where things are on day 6.

End of day 8!  It feels like longer and shorter at the same time.  I am doing well and feeling fine.  Next week my husband isn't traveling so I have to be a little more cognizant of what I have planned for dinner so he doesn't have to eat anything too weird with me :) .   For instance, I ended up having deviled eggs and organic kraut and applesauce for lunch today.   Rather weird I will agree.  I also had the first thing I didn't really like...not a huge cauliflower mash fan.  Oh well.  Can't love everything so I will just move on.  

I did have a passing chocolate yearning today - writing it is just bringing it back! - but I made some herbal tea, dammit, so there.  Not going to let that derail me!  It does make me happy that I can ignore certain foods entirely.  I didn't realize how easily I was giving into "having a taste for something" without even a thought.  Good to learn.  

Day 10 - a little weak and jittery this morning.  I think it's because I had grapes first thing and maybe the sugar in them?  Anyway, I'm thru lunch now (magnificent salad of mixed greens, leftover salmon, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, capers and cilantro lime mayo dressing.  Delish.  

It's already day 14.   My gut bacteria seems to be in the process of some adjustments, but overall I still feel really good and am not having much trouble staying on track, which is pleasantly surprising.  As Melissa says, it's all in the prep and I've done a lot of that I guess.   We went to the grocery store on Sunday and I realized that about 80% of the store I am not shopping in, which I found FASCINATING.  

So...day 16 comes to a close.  Doing fine - I don't feel crazy amazing but I feel good.  I am sleeping really well which is nice - my non-medical theory is that having less sugar coursing through my veins helps me sleep.  I have noticed I'm pretty sensitive to sugar - I ate two little mandarins this morning instead of one and I was jittery almost instantly.  Makes me actually nervous for re-introduction.   

Yesterday I ran a meeting and there was pizza for lunch - I sat next to it for 4 hours.  It smelled fantastic, but I ate my lunch that I brought and even brought home slices for my husband and lived to tell (I did make him put it in the outside fridge!).  That was tough.   But I couldn't imagine possibly eating any of it and wrecking this thing.  Go me.

It IS cool to start thinking about reintroduction - and you are right about why.  It is shocking that I'm not all wild about going back to "regular" eating - it makes me happy that all this actually appears to be working on my brain as it is supposed to!  Forgot to buy eggs though on yesterday's grocery run #w30emergency ;)

Finally made the famous Chicken Hash.  Really didn't think I'd love it but - WOW.  In love.  And my husband loved it too.  I'm making it tomorrow again with some tweaking - I will let you know how it goes and if I recommend what we are trying!  It IS even good cold the next day - and makes sooooo fast and easy.   I will eat this forever.

It's day 21!  Here's what we are having for dinner tonight - make your own salad.  I think I chop in my sleep at this point.  Had some odd constipation over the past several days but it all let loose this morning so I was glad but it made me feel kind of terrible for a couple of hours.  Think I can trace it back to too much baked potato a few nights ago, maybe.  All is well otherwise - onward!

IMG_3701.jpg

10 hours ago, EllieHH said:

It's day 21!  Here's what we are having for dinner tonight - make your own salad.  I think I chop in my sleep at this point.  Had some odd constipation over the past several days but it all let loose this morning so I was glad but it made me feel kind of terrible for a couple of hours.  Think I can trace it back to too much baked potato a few nights ago, maybe.  All is well otherwise - onward!

IMG_3701.jpg

Oooh that looks yummy! So colorful.

New theory on stomach issues - I started taking my OTC allergy medicine (stuff here is finally blooming) without even thinking about it a few days ago...it just didn't click that "hello..." that might affect me (yes, the book says so and I just forgot as I don't think of myself as a medicine taker!  Anyway, I quit taking it so we will see.  I read the ingredients and it's all sorts of stuff with "ose" in the name, which feels like sugar whether it is or not. :)  Yummy lettuce wraps tonight from the recipe on this site....try them if you have not!

Can't believe it's day 22 already...yay me.  Other than a little stomach stuff, feeling good and sleeping pretty well, which is a big deal in my world.   Starting to want to get the scale out (which of course I will not and I'm already talking myself off that ledge) but it's fun to be this close to the "end".  As I think about re-introduction, I'm really interested to see how that goes.

I do have a question though if any official people read this - is the order in the book of what to introduce when on purpose, or could I choose the elements to introduce in what order (yes, I realize I CAN do whatever, but...) - I just wondered if there was some science around legumes first, etc. or if it doesn't really matter in what order as long as one follows the cadence?  Any thoughts welcome.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, EllieHH said:

Finally made the famous Chicken Hash.  Really didn't think I'd love it but - WOW.  In love.  And my husband loved it too.  I'm making it tomorrow again with some tweaking - I will let you know how it goes and if I recommend what we are trying!  It IS even good cold the next day - and makes sooooo fast and easy.   I will eat this forever.

Update - the tweaks we made really didn't improve it (added some shredded carrots, pork instead of chicken (since we had it), golden raisins (them I will keep...though it probably makes it too much fruit...will do that post day 31).  So, there you go.  The original still stands!

Just saw a blog about sweet potato toast - literally slicing 1/4" slices and putting them in the toaster (twice) vs. cooking them in the oven for 40 min.  Hello, LUNCH.  This has made me soooo weird - but happy!

15 hours ago, EllieHH said:

I do have a question though if any official people read this - is the order in the book of what to introduce when on purpose, or could I choose the elements to introduce in what order (yes, I realize I CAN do whatever, but...) - I just wondered if there was some science around legumes first, etc. or if it doesn't really matter in what order as long as one follows the cadence?  Any thoughts welcome.

never mind!  I found all I needed in the reintroduction forum!

I may have to try the sweet potato toast! I don’t have a toaster but I’m sure there’s a workaround. I just branched out to plantains for the first time this w30 (allergy issues in the past, yuck) but I love how many w30 ideas there are!

Wow...day 26.   Yesterday while coming home from the grocery store, I saw two people jogging down the road.  I said to them (out loud in my car) "Whole30 is SO much easier than what you are doing!"  No offense to exercise, which I need to get back to doing soon (have not done anything "really sweaty" this whole time) but exercise IS sweaty, and I have really long hair, which means exercise always = washing hair = whole big thing = not as easy as W30.  That said, I know it only "starts with food" - so I will be adding in the occasional cardio (we have an elliptical at home) someday soon.

I felt really skinny this morning.  Bra hooking on new hooks, pants very loose.  I just had a full dinner (carnitas, gauc, salsa, lettuces...mmmmm) so I don't feel it so much right now, but I can definitely tell a difference in my body, which is fun.  My husband and I were talking yesterday about post W30 and it is so interesting how I'm not all "I can't wait to eat X again" - it's really no big deal at this point which is lovely.  #foodfreedom

I did end up eating an Rx bar for "lunch" today because of weird schedules - not a good idea for me.  Too crash-y afterwards.

53 minutes ago, EllieHH said:

Wow...day 26.   Yesterday while coming home from the grocery store, I saw two people jogging down the road.  I said to them (out loud in my car) "Whole30 is SO much easier than what you are doing!"  No offense to exercise, which I need to get back to doing soon (have not done anything "really sweaty" this whole time) but exercise IS sweaty, and I have really long hair, which means exercise always = washing hair = whole big thing = not as easy as W30.  That said, I know it only "starts with food" - so I will be adding in the occasional cardio (we have an elliptical at home) someday soon.

I felt really skinny this morning.  Bra hooking on new hooks, pants very loose.  I just had a full dinner (carnitas, gauc, salsa, lettuces...mmmmm) so I don't feel it so much right now, but I can definitely tell a difference in my body, which is fun.  My husband and I were talking yesterday about post W30 and it is so interesting how I'm not all "I can't wait to eat X again" - it's really no big deal at this point which is lovely.  #foodfreedom

I did end up eating an Rx bar for "lunch" today because of weird schedules - not a good idea for me.  Too crash-y afterwards.

I wish I had an elliptical at home! I wish I had room for one! Yeah I've been sidelined with this plantar fasciitis and haven't exercised much either. Today I parked in the wrong lot and walked 5 blocks uphill in a hurry and was so out of breath.

Day 28 down.  Today was hard for some reason.  I was in the car a bunch and am home alone (hubby traveling) and a little bit idle, so maybe that's why my brain keeps saying "dessert" to me.  I also had to get up at 4:30 to be at an early meeting, so am tired.  I already had fruit so it's looking like some herbal tea and then I'll be fine.  But my brain is also starting to allow itself to see the non w30 stuff that is in our house (I have blocked it out of my mind this whole time - did not do the "clean out") so I have to get that back under control or I can see myself grabbing it in the weeks to come.  I guess at the start of this I didn't realize how semi-permanent it would become...but I can't go back to the way we were eating before.

Here's a w30 observation:  the # of commercials on TV about off-plan food is RIDICULOUS.  I never consciously noticed it before, but it is an absolute assault. No wonder we think we should be eating that junk - it is constantly pitched at us.  Yes, I should just turn the darn thing off entirely, but my next life improvement (I'm doing w30 and posture correction simultaneously) will be adding back in exercise - I will deal with less TV some other day!

Tomorrow night I'm going to opening night of the Mariners (baseball) with my girlfriends (yep, got the food figured out) and I am really looking forward to some relaxation and fun - all I have done is work for a really long time, it seems.   So, yay for girlfriends and mental breaks.  And brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic.

18 hours ago, EllieHH said:

Here's a w30 observation:  the # of commercials on TV about off-plan food is RIDICULOUS.  I never consciously noticed it before, but it is an absolute assault. No wonder we think we should be eating that junk - it is constantly pitched at us.  Yes, I should just turn the darn thing off entirely, but my next life improvement (I'm doing w30 and posture correction simultaneously) will be adding back in exercise - I will deal with less TV some other day!

Tomorrow night I'm going to opening night of the Mariners (baseball) with my girlfriends (yep, got the food figured out) 

I agree @EllieHH! I’ve been saying that I need to invent a filter that blocks dessert recipes from my social media. I don’t feel so strongly now, but in that first week the cupcakes and cakes were everywhere!! 

I hope you have fun- I love baseball :) My social events this month have felt really affirming- both for sanity, and for a nice “I can do this!” boost. 

58 minutes ago, AlyMcF said:

I saw lots of people in Mariners shirts today. What did you eat at the game? I try to go to a game once a year and usually end up with sushi. Is there any Whole 30 compliant stuff there this year?

Sadness...the sweet friend who was supposed to buy our tickets figured it would not be hard to get them since it is a Thursday, and literally tried to buy them this morning.  Love her, but seriously?  Opening day?  Anyway, we didn't end up going so I'm bummed.  That said, one of the friends who was going with me has done a w30 and said that the Hempler sausages (sans bun, of course) are compliant, but I was looking at them at the store the other day and there's definitely sugar in there so I'm guessing they aren't really - but I cannot attest because I am sitting on my floor at home.  But, the good news is that my husband is back from being out of town (he has traveled a ton this month) so we are having dinner together, which is nice.  

Archived