AlvMcF Whole 30 Journal

AlyMcF

Starting tomorrow! Have cleared away the things I can't eat and restocked my shelves and fridge with new exciting foods. I made some hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot, and prechopped some peppers and mushrooms for an omelette type breakfast. I've also made purple salsa, though I am not exactly sure how I will eat it without my standard corn chips. Maybe on lettuce?

Purple salsa consists of: Chopped purple cabbage, chopped red onion, juice from a lime, chopped fresh tomato, chopped jalapeno and some black pepper and sea salt.

• Moderators

Your purple salsa would probably be good in your omelette. Or mix it with some mayo and top your hard boiled eggs with it. Make some taco meat or carnitas and make taco salads, or tacos using lettuce wraps or thinly sliced jicama instead of tortillas and use the salsa as a topping for them. Lots of options, really -- stop classifying it as a dip, and think of it as extra flavor for your favorite foods.

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Your purple salsa would probably be good in your omelette. Or mix it with some mayo and top your hard boiled eggs with it. Make some taco meat or carnitas and make taco salads, or tacos using lettuce wraps or thinly sliced jicama instead of tortillas and use the salsa as a topping for them. Lots of options, really -- stop classifying it as a dip, and think of it as extra flavor for your favorite foods.

Yeah I think mixing it with some ground beef would be especially good. Thanks for the tip!

March 1 (Day 1)

7:30am Eggs, bacon, peppers, mushrooms, parsley, ghee, olive oil

black tea

[Amazingly unhungry this morning, usually I'm snacking by 10am]

11:45am strawberries and pistaschios

12;30pm lettuce, spinach and purple salsa

[was full after eating this but was hungry again an hour later. realized I hadn't had much fat or protein for lunch]

2pm celery with almond buetter

4:40pm Potato Salad (potatoes, fennel, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, hard boiled eggs and seasonings)

7pm "sweet and spicy" tea

8:15pm purple salsa, ground beef, cashews

[So far so good]

March 2 (Day 2)

7:15am Potato Salad leftover, bacon, avocado, black tea

11am apple and raw almonds

12:30pm [husband ate my lunch so I ended up eating mostly the same thing as my breakfast :blink:] Potato Salad, avocado, Chomps beef stick

1pm instant coffee

3:15pm La Croix

5:30pm crispy kale with olive oil

6pm mushrooms with coconut aminos, garlic and onion powder

Chicken Marbella (recipe on this Forum some where): chicken, garlic, oregano, olive+avocado oils, dates, capers, green olives

8pm mint and lemon water

[Feeling pretty good. A little bit more headachy than usual, but that's not unusual for this time of month. I had a blood draw at the Dr today and they couldn't get enough blood out of me. Guess I must be a bit dehydrated.

March 3 (Day 3)

8:30am Chicken Marbella and cauliflower leftovers, black tea

12pm coffee

1pm lettuce, spinach, sweet potatoes, broccoli, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, blueberries, hard boiled eggs, lemon pepper, cucumbers, leftover mushrooms

2pm La Croix

2:15pm resteeped tea

4pm apple, sunflower seed raw crackers (containing sesame, lime, tomato powder, coconut aminos, garlic powder) and cashew spread (cashews, parsley, garlic and salt)

6:20pm alkaline water

6:45pm stir fried lotus root (lotus root, coconut aminos, spring onions, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil, coconut oil, avocado, oil, Korean chile

Potato salad leftovers

7:30pm Sweet n Spice tea, crampbark

[Still feeling good. I figure if I hit the wall it will probably be in a couple of days because that's when it happened to me when I quite gluten years ago]

March 4 (Day 4)

8am leftover broccoli, sweet potato, with lettuce, spinach, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, lemon juice

black tea

11am cauliflower, leftover chicken marbella

Advil

[period started today. very tired. odd eating times because I was at the movies and then at a birthday party and had to eat in between]

3:15pm Meatballs w/tomato sauce ( beef, egg, almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, tomatos, onion) Firefly caraway kraut, lettuce, spinach

5pm some reishi mushroom/green tea

5:30pm snack seaweed with olive oil. pumpkin seeds, cranberries,  almonds, walnuts

7pm leftover lotus root, hard boil eggs

March 5(Day 5)

[Still some residual tired today, but suddenly feel like I can take on new projects]

7:15am apple, small peppers stuffed with leftover cashew spread, egg cooked in ghee, black tea

[wasn't hungry all morning!]

12:30pm sweet potato in olive oil and lemon juice over lettuce and cucumbers, meatballs with tomato sauce, cauliflower

2pm coffee

3:30pm orange, cashew spread on sunflower seed crackers

5pm air fried shittake mushrooms and celery with garlic, onion powder, coconut aminos [pre dinner snack]

6:45pm Buffalo Chicken Chowder (chicken, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, Frank hot sauce, chicken bone broth, coconut milk, parsley), cashews

sweet n spicy tea

9pm blueberries, raw almonds [not sure why I got hungry so late, but I think it's because I couldn't eat very much of the dinner because it was very spicy]

On 1/3/2018 at 6:34 AM, AlyMcF said:

Starting tomorrow! Have cleared away the things I can't eat and restocked my shelves and fridge with new exciting foods. I made some hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot, and prechopped some peppers and mushrooms for an omelette type breakfast. I've also made purple salsa, though I am not exactly sure how I will eat it without my standard corn chips. Maybe on lettuce?

Purple salsa consists of: Chopped purple cabbage, chopped red onion, juice from a lime, chopped fresh tomato, chopped jalapeno and some black pepper and sea salt.

HI! I´m really interested in purple salsa. I don´t know if you put all ingredients raw. Do you have any picture?

Thanks a lot!

On 3/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, ShannonM816 said:

I made some salsa the other day (though not purple...how interesting!) for carnitas later in the week, and ended up putting it on some lettuce with avocado and a sliced up chicken thigh tossed around - quite lovely and felt enough like mexican to make me happy.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:47 PM, AlyMcF said:

March 4 (Day 4)

8am leftover broccoli, sweet potato, with lettuce, spinach, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, lemon juice

black tea

11am cauliflower, leftover chicken marbella

Advil

[period started today. very tired. odd eating times because I was at the movies and then at a birthday party and had to eat in between]

3:15pm Meatballs w/tomato sauce ( beef, egg, almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, tomatos, onion) Firefly caraway kraut, lettuce, spinach

5pm some reishi mushroom/green tea

5:30pm snack seaweed with olive oil. pumpkin seeds, cranberries,  almonds, walnuts

7pm leftover lotus root, hard boil eggs

I found the firefly kraut also - I have the emerald city and the red one - have only tried the emerald city so far but yummy.  You are doing a much better job actually logging your food on here!  I have an excel spreadsheet instead but I admire your posts.

9 hours ago, crlt said:

HI! I´m really interested in purple salsa. I don´t know if you put all ingredients raw. Do you have any picture?

Thanks a lot!

I will try to take a picture next time I make it, probably in a couple of days. Yes all the ingredients are raw. I was inspired by a salsa served by Las Espuelas restaurant in Mountlake Terrace, WA. 

Ingredients

Several cups of red/purple cabbage, chopped finely

8 Plum tomatoes (or whatever tomatoes you like), diced into small pieces

½ red onion, diced

1 jalapeño pepper, diced

1-2 limes worth of juice

1 t. salt

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients

2. Chill for a few hours

1 hour ago, EllieHH said:

I found the firefly kraut also - I have the emerald city and the red one - have only tried the emerald city so far but yummy.  You are doing a much better job actually logging your food on here!  I have an excel spreadsheet instead but I admire your posts.

Aw thanks!

March 6 (Day 6)

7am Wellness Formula (supplement...feel like I'm getting a cold), celery with almond butter, an orange, leftover meatballs, black tea

11am apples, berry Rx bar (yuck!)

12:45pm leftover buffalo chicken soup. snack seaweed with olive oil

4pm walnuts, pumpkin seeds, apple (oops I didn't even realized until I typed this up I had two apples today, lol)

5:45pm lettuce, leftover mushrooms, Asian Citrus Brussels Sprouts Slaw (from Ready or Not, Nom Nom Paleo): (Brussels sprouts, coconut oil, ghee, ginger, shallot, orange juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar. coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil cashews, sesame seeds)

7:40pm 1 date to eat with a pill (Nabumatone, an anti-inflammatory I just started taking again due to newly diagnosed plantar fasciitis)

March 7 (day 7)

Wow it's been a week already!

7am eggs cooked in olive oil, spinach, caraway kraut, black tea

11am date/hazelnut/cacao rounds from Trader Joe's, Runa tea

12:30pm lettuce and leftover brussels sprout slaw, Wellness Formula, black current oil, lysine [cold sore coming on]

2:30pm Chomps snack meat stick

3pm smoothie w/banana, blueberries, almond milk, almond butter (yeah I know smoothies are frowned upon but I've been kinda dehydrated and had all these blueberries)

seaweed with olive oil

5:30pm sweet potatoes with chicken, and pesto (cashews, garlic, basil, spinach, lemon, olive oil, nutritional yeast)

mushrooms cooked in ghee and parsley

7:30pm leftover buffalo chicken broth with cauliflower

I know I eat at a lot of scattered times, but part of that is needing to eat with a pill, and life chaos. 

March 8 (Day 8)

7am sweet potatoes, chicken and pesto leftovers

Wellness formula, black tea

11:45am dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice) and almonds

12:30pm celery with cashew spread leftover, Grancestors brand Whole30 compliant frozen meal . Colorado Hash [Once again, the family ate all my food so I'm left with something from the freezer. On the bright side, I'm glad they like my cooking and are eating healthy!]

1pm coffee

3:30pm pumpkin seeds and walnuts

5:15pm purple salsa with ground beef, plus watercress soup (watercress, potato, onion, chicken bone broth, ghee)

7pm tumeric tea

7:45pm apple [to go with the evening pill]

[Feeling pretty good, I think the hangover from starting the diet is gone]

March 9 (Day 9)

7am carrot, celery with almond butter, egg in avocado oil, black tea

12:30pm watercress soup leftover

lysine, Wellness Formula

Kiwi, sunflower seed crackers and leftover pesto

3:30pm tangerine, date/hazelnut/cacao disk

4:30pm mint with lemon water

5pm Instant pot steamed salmon with olive oil, lemon

Stir fried veg with ghee: carrots, red bell pepper, yellow squash, and paleo lemon pepper rub

7:20pm ground beef with purple salsa

chai (almond milk, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, star anise, rooibos, clove)

[Energy! Lots of it. But having some trouble with constipation and dehydration.]

14 hours ago, crlt said:

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that I´m on my way to the market for buying the ingredients for purple sauce recipe.

I´m so excited!!

Finally got a picture to show you! This one doesn't have any jalapeños in it.

IMG_4493.jpg

March 11 (Day 11)

7am leftover salmon and veg

8:15am veggie hash with eggs (mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, red onion, paprika, Cuban spice, ghee, avocado oil)

11:30am Americano

1pm almonds and cranberries

2pm kabocha squash soup, carrots, kiwi

4pm purple salsa with riced cauliflower, cashews

6pm turkey, bell pepper, avocado oil, onion, garlic, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, basil

7:30pm sweet n spicy tea

[odd day because I was meeting some one for coffee at lunch time and so kind skipped lunch until later]

March 12 (Day 12)

7am leftover eggs and hash, apple

10am coffee, date/hazelnut/cacao and almonds

12:30pm leftover turkey, peppers and tomatoes

1:30pm mint and lemon water

2:45pm sweet n spicy tea, Chomps meat stick, seaweed

6:15pm radicchio with chicken sausage, fennel, apple, mayo, dates, walnuts and apple cider vinegar (this is basically the recipe from pg 13 of the Whole 30 Fast and Easy cookbook, with some modifications. It's really good! I used dates instead of apricots and sausage instead of pork.

7:45pm dates and almonds

March 13 (Day 13)

One of these days soon I hope to have a day when I'm not rushing from place to place. This was not that day, nor is day 14! Which is why I neglected posting for a day.

7am leftover eggs and hash, black tea

11:30AM date/hazelnut/cacao disk [Have you seen these at Trader Joe's? They only have three ingredients. It's a nice little snack]

12:30pm leftover radicchio, sausage, fennel etc, oolong tea

4:30pm [I'm not hungry but I have to go to a class from 5-9pm so I'm going to make myself eat] leftover turkey, peppers and tomatoes

9pm almond milk with chia seeds and banana

March 14 (day 14)

7am a bite of leftover eggs and hash, raw fennel, carrot, celery w/almond butter [again I am not hungry but am making myself eat something so I can go to work]

Yunnan Gold tea

10:30am-12:30pm crazy day of work and then rushing to a 12:45pm PT appt so I snacked on pistachios, raw fennel, seaweed, sausage and date/hazelnut/cacao disk instead of having a proper lunch

2pm Crio bru with almond milk

4pm air fried radicchio with fig balsamic vinegar, air fried mushrooms with green olives and garlic. [I'm really winging it now!]

4:45pm halibut with olive oil, [was supposed to have that citrus glaze from the cookbook but I burnt the heck out of it]

parsnips, carrots, yellow squash in avocado oil

resteeped Yunnan Gold tea

Archived