My husband and I went on the whole 30 as well as our daughter and husband. Getting off of it and attempting to get some normal foods is causing awful problems for me. I slowly started gluten with a couple bread cubes and that seemed to be fine. After a week or so I decided to test it and ate 1/2 piece of pizza. I started going potty that afternoon and night but no pain. I awoke and begin having bad cramps and went potty a ton.  No I am worried I can't go back to eating gluten. I also tried a corn tortilla and the next day my stomach hurt all day. Is there a way to slowly build up again so I can eat foods with these ingredients in them? It's so hard to go to a restaurant and not be able to eat anything. Please advise!

• Administrators

So it was cheeseless pizza? With no other ingredients like soy or sulphites (in the meats)? Your second gluten test likely included dairy and maybe soy, sulphites and sugar.

To answer your question, sure, you can definitely go back to eating those foods. Just keep eating them, ride out the discomfort and eventually your gut will build a new mucosal lining for protection and you should be right back where you started. (during Whole30 this thick mucosal lining sloughs off because it's not longer needed to protect the gut from things it finds irritating)  With all the most respect for you and your decisions, I guess my question would be, why did you do the Whole30 if at the end you want to "build up" to eat foods that are irritating to your body?

Archived