…”some” fruit

peak

Have read and reread The Rules many times and while it says “…plenty of vegetables and some fruit…”  how much is too much fruit (if that is possible?)

I am only in my first week and perhaps it is easier to grab another banana, apple or orange clementine cutie at the office to offset any pangs… but I am upwards of 10 pieces or so a day which might also include a couple of prunes before retiring.   I am not noticing any extra,  (ahem),  digestive issues as that is still normal although occurring at different times compared to my regular constitutionals. 

I can see more of a balance of foods next week as I will buy some raw snack veggies… carrots, celery, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, etc. to add to my normal meal veggies consisting  primarily asparagus and Brussel sprouts.

Should I be concerned about too much fruit when W30 Rules clearly state “some” fruit?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Goal is -40lbs said:

Have read and reread The Rules many times and while it says “…plenty of vegetables and some fruit…”  how much is too much fruit (if that is possible?)

I am only in my first week and perhaps it is easier to grab another banana, apple or orange clementine cutie at the office to offset any pangs… but I am upwards of 10 pieces or so a day which might also include a couple of prunes before retiring.   I am not noticing any extra,  (ahem),  digestive issues as that is still normal although occurring at different times compared to my regular constitutionals. 

I can see more of a balance of foods next week as I will buy some raw snack veggies… carrots, celery, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, etc. to add to my normal meal veggies consisting  primarily asparagus and Brussel sprouts.

Should I be concerned about too much fruit when W30 Rules clearly state “some” fruit?

"Some" is recommended to be anywhere between 0 and 2 servings per day, fist sized approximately.  Sometimes we naturally eat more in summer and less in winter but I think 10 servings is on the extreme end regardless of the season.

If you are eating fruit between meals as a snack you are doing yourself a disservice. First it means that your meals are not large enough to get you 4-5 hours between. Second it means that you are just using temporary filler rather than something with staying power like protein fat combo. Third it means that you are repeatedly spiking your blood sugar and inhibiting blood sugar regulation and fat adaptation.

You'll get far more stable blood sugar and hormone regulation not to mention nutrients if you replace most of that fruit with vegetables and then make sure your meals are properly composed.

Thanks,  ...the " meals are not large enough" part makes sense, 

Prior to starting the W30 my normal daily fruit intake was perhaps 4 or 5 pieces for the maybe same reason   ....and due to the new regime I am reverting to fruit whereas it would have been a couple of cookies or a muffin or cupcake (there are always a bunch in the office that we share.)  Instead of unconsciously going to those I was deliberately grabbing a compliant alternative.

Perhaps I do need to increase my calorie intake.  I am 6'-3", 255+ lbs and am now consuming roughly around 1800-2000 calories which does not include the fruit.  I think I will make up a trail mix GORP with compliant ingredients to help offset any cravings.

Look at the meal template and try to build meals off that, don't think about calories:

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  (The fat portion can be confusing, Choose 1-2 fat sources per meal, not every fat at all meals.)

If you're snacking, your meals still aren't big enough.  Ideally you can go 4-5 hours between meals.  However, if you're genuinely hungry, like ladyshanny said above a "snack" would have protein and fat for staying power.  (I try to think of mini-meals instead of snacks.)  Nuts are also recommended as about a closed handful or so every other day at most.  (Nuts can be problematic digestive-wise, don't have a great omega fat profile, and are very easy to over eat especially in a "snacking" sense.)

Any GORP type thing would probably still be repeatedly spiking your blood sugar, as ladyshanny also said above.  I like olives and hard-boiled eggs or chicken as a mini-meal, personally.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Goal is -40lbs said:

GORP

The word gorp, a term for trail mix often used by hikers, is typically said to be an acronym for "good old raisins and peanuts"[8] or its common ingredients "granola, oats, raisins, peanuts." The Oxford English Dictionary cites a 1913 reference to the verb gorp, meaning "to eat greedily."

OK, ya, don't make or eat that as a replacement or stand in for real food. ;) Make your meals bigger, bring some protein + fat combos (HBE + guac or chicken thigh + mayo) until you figure out meal comp and your body adjusts to eating every 4-5 hours. Partly it's going to be habit if you've been grazing for a long time. Partly it's going to be blood sugar disregulation as well that will cause you to feel the need to eat. You may also go through "carb flu" if you have been using these fruits through your Whole30 from the beginning. Prepare to maybe feel kind of crappy while you work towards fat adaptation.

Good information!  thanks for the feedback.  I am learning so much this first week and appreciate the Forums for the comments so that I can make necessary adjustments.

Archived