How often can I eat fat/fruit?

gurleen16

I am trying to stick with eating only three (relatively large) meals a day that mostly consist of protein, veggies, and fat. But if I am hungry for a snack, is it okay if I eat a handful of nuts or coconut chia seed pudding? Should I eat fruits or nuts/fat as a snack? 

• Moderators

If you're hungry between meals (and not just looking to 'snack' out of habit or boredom) then the recommendation is to eat protein and fat so a hardboiled egg and guacamole for instance.  Fruit and nuts should not be eaten on their own as 'snacks' as they do nothing for your blood sugar regulation, are often hard to stop once started and won't keep you full very long.

Coconut Chia Seed Pudding is strongly frowned on.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, lwolford said:

Why is chia pudding frowned upon?! I had some this morning for breakfast with berries and tea...  OH NO!

Because it's getting dangerously close to pudding/yogurt that many people came to Whole30 used to eating for breakfast. Plus it's made with a large number of seeds which are recommended to be limited. We also see people using it as their sole item during breakfast which doesn't match the recommended meal template as it does not include protein or vegetables, just a huge fat load and often some fruit.

There are better choices which will get folks closer to their intended goals. 

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, lwolford said:

Why is chia pudding frowned upon?! I had some this morning for breakfast with berries and tea...  OH NO!

The main thing is that we would encourage everyone to make all their meals look like the meal template with protein, fat, and lots of veggies. That's going to get you the best results in your Whole30. Also, chia pudding tends to be sweet, like many typical breakfast foods people would eat pre-Whole30, and one of the things Whole30 wants you to do is completely change the way you think about food. If you keep having something sweet for breakfast, it's easy to finish whole30 and go right back to eating muffins or pancakes, because you haven't really changed how you think about breakfast foods.

Archived