Whole 30 starting 5/26

befabdaily

Well, I've had the cherry, cocoa, apple, and carrot cake ones, as well as a cashew one and a coconut one. I like the ones with a tangy fruit flavor or the bitter cocoa in them the best. The ones that are just sweet/doughy (only dates and nuts) are very bland. Many of the flavors are Whole30 approved, with caveats. Just be sure that you don't get the ones with the chocolate chips, or the peanut flavors.

As the mods will tell you, don't rely too heavily on them. I've mostly eaten them a few times when I was in a situation where I got super-hungry and had no break for food just then. The days that I have relied on them for calories I've felt like I was more prone to random munching, and it left me feeling a little hungrier overall.

Yesterday was Day 16. I went to a dance workshop in the morning, and also got in a 2.5 mile walk and some foam rolling of my "shoulder thing".

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with olives (Trader Joe's has these amazing green olives now and I am addicted), small avocado, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: bone broth, sardines, 1 oz macadamia nuts, peach, artichoke, coffee with coconut milk

Dinner: ground beef patty, oven roasted eggplant slices, marinara, 1/2 c. cantaloupe

I had to use a puff of albuterol and a puff of Flovent last night. Taking Claritin -- obviously the flowering trees don't go away when you start eating Paleo and they are out and proud right now.

Forgot to write down what I ate yesterday, but it was compliant -- it was just a day of not-great choices (not enough fat in my lunch, too much fruit in the afternoon, ending with a Primal Pac for dinner because I was just feeling strangely unhungry yet nibbly).

I started today off right: 2 eggs, a small avocado, a grapefruit. Goal for the day: eat three regular meals at regular times, even if they're small.

I made it through the day with:

Lunch: chicken, pepper and zucchini green curry, handful of olives, a whole bunch of blackberries, coconut milk,

Dinner: pulled pork, sliced red peppers, more blackberries (om nom nom anthocyanins)

Exercise was teaching a 1.5 hour belly dance class.

It's already Day 19 -- I kind of can't believe that, because it means my summer is shooting by way too fast. Exercise was 2.5 mile walk and 97 (incline) pushups. I started this thing from WEAK -- the heavy weight I'm lifting is ME.

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, eggs scrambled with olives and spinach, avocado. Small handful of blackberries.

Lunch: Pulled pork, snap peas, peach + blueberries with coconut milk

Post-work snack: 2 tbsp almond butter

Dinner: egg-lemon soup with chopped chicken, huge fresh tomato

In my days of making this soup with rice or orzo, I'd have scarfed down a couple of big mugs of it for sure. Tonight I can barely eat half of what I made.

It's really simple:

2 eggs

juice of 2 lemons. Mix eggs and lemons, and let stand, stirring occasionally. You don't want globs of undissolved eggwhite because those make chunks in the soup

heat:

2 cups chicken bone broth

finely diced or shredded chicken breast (about one serving)

a bit of shredded fresh mint

a bit of finely grated onion would not be amiss, if you didn't use vegetables in the making of your bone broth

Once the broth is hot, gently whisk about a cup of it into the egg mixture. Then add the egg mixture to the pot, and whisk thoroughly. It will thicken and get a slightly custardy texture.

You could shred some spinach and add it to this.

Today was a good day (easy to say around a belly full of hot, freshly roasted chicken).

Breakfast: coffee and coconut milk, omelet with apricots. Should have had some veggies but I was running late.

Lunch: pulled pork, leftover egg-lemon soup, green olives, blackberries with coconut cream

Dinner: Roasted chicken leg and part of a breast, chicken liver(!), artichoke, steamed broccoli, peach

Lunch did not have enough vegetable matter and made me feel a little queasy. Lesson learned. I ate plenty of broccoli with dinner.

I grew up eating innards. So when I saw that my Trader Joe's organic chicken had a liver-pak inside, I grabbed the liver, rolled it in some almond meal, and fried it up. Saturday I'm going to score some beef liver from the grassfed beef people, because I've always loved it, and I bet grassfed beef liver is mighty tasty.

Today's day 21! This morning I walked 2.5 miles, and worked on my pull-up progression.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with spinach and olives, sliced tomato, blueberries with coconut cream

Lunch: chicken breast, 1/2 sweet potato, sliced radishes

Snack: chicken breast, peach, coconut cream

Dinner: red curry langostinos with red and yellow peppers, a few blackberries

Day 22. Victory: I can taste it. And it tastes like Paleo mayo made with macadamia nut oil.

Exercise: one very intense Zumba class, 1.5 mile walk. Moved a lot today due to Farmer's Market-ing and household chores.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with green olives. Avocado. Blueberries with coconut cream. Coffee with coconut cream.

PWO: I seriously made an effort to be all super-w30-techie and have a little hunk of chicken breast after that Zumba class.

Lunch: More chicken breast. Sliced tomato. About 1 cup of cherries.

Snack: mini Lara Bar, 2 tbsp coconut butter. I bought some Artisana to see what the big deal was, and had to taste it of course. It reminds me of an Indian dessert called burfi, which is made of coconut.

Dinner: bone broth, chicken breast, brussels sprouts. Homemade mayo for dipping.

I am having a really hard time believing that I'm not going to blow up to the size of Gilbert Grape's momma, eating this way.

Day 23. Middle-aged lady WOD: 3 x 25 short bridges, 4 x 10 straight bridges, 3 miles of walking in two sessions.

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, avocado, 1/2 sweet potato, about 1/2 cup of cherries, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: red curry langostinos with peppers, over zucchini "noodles". Blackberries with coconut milk.

Snack: 2 spoons of Artisana coconut butter. Maybe 3. That stuff is crack. Handful of cashews. (I think lunch was too small).

Dinner: ground beef patty, brussels sprouts, roasted eggplant with tomato sauce. Homemade macadamia oil mayo for dipping. Peach.

I was very proud that my homemade mayo stayed emulsified overnight. It was definitely tasty on the burger and brussels sprouts.

I forgot to mention something else that I did today. I reorganized my kitchen, getting rid of a whole lot of things. I did not do a full pantry/fridge cleanout before I started the Whole30, because I don't really have problems with cravings and temptation (witness the full bottle of maple syrup that's in my fridge that I have barely thought about since starting) and I didn't want to waste things that I might use later.

The thing is, in a lot of cases, I am never going to use those things later. I have been a pantry completist and food clutterer (even though my hoard is all neatly contained in cupboards). I have nine types of flour and ten types of stored beans and grains and, it's not like I was using them most of the time before I started this. I just HAD them, by some collecting impulse to live up to an image of what a pantry is supposed to have in it. I was actually eating rice and meat and veggies and fruit, supplemented with semi-prepared convenience foods (like ravioli or pre-made salads from Trader Joe's or god knows what else) and my "cooking ingredients" for the idealized future time when I would bake like a 50s homemaker (or something) were just slowly and invisibly going to waste anyway. What if I just didn't bother to have all that stuff around? I threw out things that were expired, some of which traveled with me from Virginia when I moved seven years ago.

The corner of my kitchen counter nearest the stove, which previously had a bunch of containers filled with grain products and sugars and other non-useful stuff, now looks like this:

tumblr_m5rq5pMgMM1qc81eqo1_500.jpg

There is way more to this that just the food. All of a sudden I was tackling this invisible clutter that I hadn't been properly making decisions about for years.

Day 24: In the stretch! Exercise was 2.5 mile walk, 4 x 20 knee tucks, 4 x 10 flat knee raises, and a ballet for bellydancers class.

• Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs, small avocado, 1/2 sweet potato, blueberries
  • Lunch: chicken breast, homemade mayo, sliced tomatoes, sliced red peppers
  • Snack: mini Larabar
  • Dinner: small handful olives, closed hand of macadamias, roasted chicken, about 2 cups steamed broccoli, homemade mayo, peach
  • Oh, and a couple of spoons of Artisana coconut butter. I can immediately see this stuff filling a cheese-shaped hole in my life, and a sugar-shaped hole in my life. It's the only thing I've eaten the whole month through that made me feel crave-y. I am going to try to leave it alone until my official 30 is over.

I can't believe it's Day 26 already. I've fallen off the logging a bit but I haven't fallen off the eating -- yesterday was all compliant, just crazy because I didn't get home until 9 after teaching belly dance. Today I got up, walked my usual 2.5 mile morning meditation, and then practiced headstand and shoulder stand (5 minutes each). Tonight I'll go to Zumba.

Today's food so far:

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, short ribs straight from the crockpot, 1/4 of a baby watermelon, sliced tomatoes

Lunch: fried chicken liver, freshly roasted chicken breast, sliced red pepper, blackberries, a few pistachios

I feel very front-loaded with meat and will probably go for a lighter dinner.

Day 27: exercise was (morning) 2.5 mile walk, 4 x 30 jackknife squats, 4 x 40 standing calf raises, 3 min in headstand and 3 min in shoulderstand. Then in the evening one of my favorite Zumba instructors was having a free class to introduce a new location, so I went to that. It MAY have been a mistake to do all those squats in the morning and think I could do a Zumba class at night, but it was fun.

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with olives and spinach, avocado, sweet potato, cherries, coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: short rib, sweet potato, blueberries and coconut cream

Pre-zumba snack: some of that evil delicious coconut butter

Dinner: chicken, avocado, more blueberries and coconut cream

I'm so close to the end of this now and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I could continue it right up until I leave for my July travels when I definitely will be off-roading, for a Whole37. I could buy some of my favorite cheese this weekend and see what happens when I eat it. I don't really feel any strong compulsions to "cheat" with anything in particular, and in fact, when I think about some of my favorite treats (salted caramel brownie anyone) I feel the anti-desire, like I know the reality will not quite live up to expectations. Even before Whole30, I had been getting less and less interested in desserts.

While I'm visiting my family I know I'll eat non-Paleo stuff, because my parents are quite old and one of the few remaining things we can do together when I visit is go out for nice meals at old favorite places. I have to admit I'm kind of looking forward to the hwe dup bop at my favorite Korean restaurant back at home!

Day 29: Workout so far has been zumba and walking the farmers market.

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with plums

Pre Zumba: a couple of bites of chicken breast, some olives

Post Zumba: a couple more bites of chicken breast, fresh figs (you have to eat figs on fig purchase day) with walnuts and coconut milk

Mid-afternoon lunch: green curry seafood with lots of spinach, handful of cherries

Dinner: almond-crusted grassfed beef liver, zucchinoodles with oven roasted tomato sauce, more fresh figs

Archived