Reintroducing Sugar

Le24

I completed the program and have started to reintroduce food as advised.  I was a little apprehensive because I was feeling pretty good at the end of the 30 days.  I don't have a sweet tooth and sugar has never been a big thing for me so I thought I'd start with sugar.  I had one tbs of pure maple syrup with breakfast on Saturday and shortly after had a terrible headache.  I was at an event for dinner where dessert was served and opted to try it since it was "sugar" day.  I had two bites of a berry crumble and two bites each of something chocolatey and a cheesecake type concoction.  Even before whole30 I don't usually eat dessert so this was a lot of sugar for me. The rest of the meal was compliant and I had no alcohol.  Saturday night my headache was so bad I couldn't sleep, I had to take ibuprofen.  It is now Sunday night and I still have a headache.  My meals today have been compliant.  Questions: 1) I planned to have a glass of wine with dinner Monday night; if I still have this headache, should I hold off reintroducing another food/drink until it's gone?  2) I know everyone is different but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and when did this headache go away?

Thank you for your help.

• Moderators

If you still have a headache, it makes sense not to reintroduce anything else, so that you know if the wine causes its own headache or not.

Headaches from sugar are not unheard of, but since it's not something I've experienced, I'm not sure on how long it would take for it to go away. I would point out that even though you may not have had much of them, those desserts would've had grains and dairy and maybe other non-Whole30 ingredients, which might have added to the headache as well. 

For now, drink lots of water, eat healthy meals, and don't reintroduce anything else until you're feeling better -- you're supposed to wait at least two days between reintroductions anyway, so if you did sugar Saturday, it would be Tuesday before you'd do your next reintroduction.

Archived