Day 24 and still SOOOO hungry

Hi, this is my first Whole30 and my first time putting myself out there on this forum for help. I’ve viewed a lot of other posts and comments, help and support, and finally decided to give in.

Basically I have been constantly hungry since day 1 and it is now day 24 with no change to my hunger levels. Today is particularly bad with some emotional baggage that I always used to feel creeping back in as well. Prior to starting the Whole30, I had a lot of hypoglycemic symptoms whenever I got hungry. Much to my great pleasure, those symptoms have vanished! I can now feel hungry without the side effects and ignore it. Yay!

But I am really tired of feeling hungry all the time, forcing myself to ignore it, and nervous about the “food desperation” sensation that returned today. As I write this, I feel like I want to cry because it is not M3 time yet and I REALLY JUST WANT TO EAT.  I even allowed myself a snack this afternoon to try and hold me over. (Homemade chicken salad with mayo, onions, and coconut flakes)

What am I don’t wrong? Why am I still hungry all the time? Why are my food emotions raging?

Typical day:

5:30am M1: 2 scrambled eggs; mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized onions, coconut milk, and clarified butter; cabbage, apple and onion casserole

11:30am M2: Chicken salad (shredded chicken, mayo, onion); kale; carrot; handful of olives. 

6:00pm M3: Chicken meatballs; asparagus; mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized onions, coconut milk, and clarified butter; basil pesto

Thanks in advance everyone!

PS. Melissa’s advice about writing out how you feel really helped… I feel a bit more in control after writing this. *deep breath*

• Moderators

Sorry you're feeling this way.  My suspicion is that you have not been eating enough.  The only meal you gave protein portions was M1 and two eggs are not enough.  When eggs are your sole source of protein, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping.  For most people that starts at 3-4. If you don't want to eat that many eggs, then add some protein (leftovers from the night before often works).

Are you consistently eating 1-2 palms of protein (your own palm's width x thickness x length), 2-3 cups of veggies and added fat? 

Do you work out?  If so, are you eating pre and post workout foods?  You may want to look at your meal timing as well.  We recommend making your meals last 4-5 hours.  It looks like you have six between M1 and 2 and 7 between m2 and 3.  If you have longer to go between meals than 4-5 hours, it's definitely okay to eat between meals, just make it a mini meal of protein and fat.

Thanks for the quick response. Protein wise, I have been making sure it is 1 palm's width, but I can try upping it to 2 palms. For the eggs, I thought since 2 scrambled eggs looked palm sized-ish it would be enough (small palms I guess). About a week ago I tried upping my fat intake since that was the most common solution I found on the forums, and that helped somewhat between M1 and M2. Still got hungry, but less intense. Getting to M3 has always been the hardest. I don't work out so that is why I have not been allowing myself snacks. I was also eating closer to 5 but my husband asked if we could push dinner back to later. Also, your remark about 2-3 cups of veggies is helpful. I do fill my plate, but we don't have standard sized plates, so I was always uncertain how much I should really be eating.

I was also scouring my food journal and noticed my worst days were around when I ate potatoes or sweet potatoes. Could I be hungry so much because I am still getting the carb/sugar crashes from those high carb veggies?

• Moderators

You could try moving the starchy carbs to your last meal of the day.  Some people find that helps with sleep and if they do create an issue for you, you'll be asleep ;)

Snacking as in 'hand to mouth mindless feeding' is discouraged but eating between meals if you have a long way to go or you're particularly hungry is totally fine, just again, make sure it's protein and fat like your chicken salad which was an excellent choice.  Also if you're a woman, the week leading up to your period and the week of your period you may experience increased hunger and you should definitely adjust your meals accordingly.  Some women here eat 4-5 meals or double the size of their standard meals in those weeks and that's totally normal.

Archived