Sign in to follow this  
LindsayO

Starchy Carbs Necessary?

Hello,

I know I am not eating enough as I am either always hungry or fatigued. Definitely no tiger blood here.

https://whole30.com/2017/05/tiger-blood-help/

This article sums it up perfectly for me. I am also pre-diabetic, and starchy carbs and fruit usually make me feel horrible (foggy brained, irritable, blood sugar spike). Starchy carbs make me feel like crap but then eating on the lower carb spectrum also makes me feel like crap.

Is it possible to do a whole30 without starchy carbs?

Happy to post a typical day of eating, and if it is possible to do a whole30 without starchy carbs, I suspect I need to focus on getting more low starch veg and fat.

Thanks!

It is totally possible to do Whole30 without carbs if you choose not to eat them.

We normally recommend a minimum of one fist size of starchy per day but of course that might not work for everyone.

If you can post your intake we can take a look. Normally lack of carbs is going to make you feel crappy, yes, but it's so individual. Are you eating tonnes of them? 

You would need to go high on fat if you are going to go low on starch, just so you know.

I suspect a lot of tough love is going to follow as I am not following some guidelines....

Wake up at 6:00 and have a cup of black coffee, make breakfast to take with me to work.

M1 at 8:30-3 eggs, 4 slices of complaint bacon, half an avocado if it's ripe!

M2 at noon-2 cups of spinach on top of salmon patty, 1 tbs olive oil and vinegar

M3 at 6:00-8 oz steak with 2 cups of steamed broccoli with some olive oil on top.

Now, I was eating a ton of roasted veg (Brussels sprouts) with a generous amount of olive oil (after it's roasted) and I actually became addicted as it was sooooo good! I was having heaps of it with every meal, then I got a yeast overgrowth/infection and wondered if there was a correlation to the increase in Brussels sprouts. Or it could have been nuts as I went overboard on nuts recently so added nuts to my "no" list.

Pretty sure I need to try adding more veg and fat, and eat an hour within waking :) 

Ya, you're not so far off. If your meals are getting you 4-5 hours between and your sleep, energy, mood is all OK, you're probably doing alright. No tough love, just love. :) 

Your last line is correct: Pretty sure I need to try adding more veg and fat, and eat an hour within waking

Thank you so much!

I am literally doing everything in my power to not fall asleep at my desk today...

I can increase the veg and fat, but will the eating within an hour of waking really help with energy? Guess it's a hard habit to break, but if that is where some of the magic happens with energy, I'm all for it!

12 minutes ago, LindsayO said:

Thank you so much!

I am literally doing everything in my power to not fall asleep at my desk today...

I can increase the veg and fat, but will the eating within an hour of waking really help with energy? Guess it's a hard habit to break, but if that is where some of the magic happens with energy, I'm all for it!

Ya, honestly, it's the hormone rebalancing that is the magic and that is helped in huge part by eating within an hour of waking. Hormones are the chemical messengers for everything in our bodies and often they are wacky. Do you find yourself getting a second wind in the evening after being super tired mid-day? 

As a matter of fact, yes, I do! I'm super tired in the morning when waking up, then my coffee helps....then after lunch I totally hit a wall and can't keep my eyes open, until I get home in the evening. Then when I get home from work I'm not as tired.

Ha! I love it when I'm right. (j/k)

OK, so what's more than likely happening is that your cortisol is out of whack. It should be highest in the morning and then slowly decrease all day towards bed time. When it's messed up you probably have trouble getting out of bed, mid-day energy crashes, second winds in the evening and maybe a hard time going to bed or falling asleep.

THE MAIN WAY to rebalance that is to eat a full template meal within an hour of waking and work on sleep hygiene (ie, no blue light w/in a couple hours of bed, no evening eating).  Getting your cortisol back in order really will be where you start to experience "magic" because all the other hormone messengers will also fall in line as you go.