Starting March 12th, 2018. Looking for buddies!

hellohollye

Hi there!

I'm going to be starting at Whole30 on Monday March 12th. I've tried a few times (about 4 years ago) and never made it through a full 30 days. I could really use some support, buddies, a team, etc. Is anyone else interested in starting on that date and staying in touch?

I have gained about 20 pounds in the last 8 months and am really ready to let that weight go. I'm excited to get back on track and feeling good in my body.

Thank you!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the date I'm thinking about doing it too!  

I'm intimidated, and I will be the only one in the household doing it, but I think I can make it happen.  It will be harder at dinner time, because I'm not usually the one cooking.  I'll have to keep my stuff separate. I'm not too worried about having the "other foods" in the house, as I'm already mostly avoiding many of the foods others eat, but it's the little thing (the steak spices? do they have have sugar in them? does the ham?)  

Today, I tried coffee without milk (I'm getting prepared...)  and used coconut beverage instead.  It's compliant, but it all got chunky in the coffee!  I wonder if actual coconut milk would do.  No store nearby has nut-based coffee creamers, only soy. I'll try a few more things over the weekend... or give up coffee.

12 hours ago, NalaPlus3 said:

but it's the little thing (the steak spices? do they have have sugar in them? does the ham?)  

... or give up coffee.

Most steak spices have sugar in them.  ALL ham has sugar - or at least every time I have checked ham, and I've checked it a lot, it has added sugar.  Try drinking coffee black!  It still tastes like coffee, or perhaps even moreso :) 

7 hours ago, Lady Bratface said:

We are starting on March 12 too.  Spending the weekend brewing up broth and tomato products! :D Yumyumyum! 

We got this. It's going to be so easy! 

Back in the mid 80's I had a girlfriend that nicknamed me bratface....

11 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Most steak spices have sugar in them.  ALL ham has sugar - or at least every time I have checked ham, and I've checked it a lot, it has added sugar.  Try drinking coffee black!  It still tastes like coffee, or perhaps even moreso :) 

Back in the mid 80's I had a girlfriend that nicknamed me bratface....

Ah-oh!  Another Brat in the forum?  We might start flipping tables! ;) 

I am giving up diet Pepsi and it is a B*******!!  I was a sixpack+ a day drinker and today is day 5 without a drop and no sugar as I pre-adjust to the whole 30.  I've found that green tea is an awesome replacement. No need for sweeteners and it tastes better than just lemon water *barf* or water-water *meh*.   No...I'm not going to drink anything bubbly because with my luck, it will just trigger me.  Make sure you put some sort of caffeine in your system if you're going to knock out coffee, don't punish yourself that way. 

Hi all, I started my whole 30 on Friday but close enough to March 12th as I'll be really early on to it. I started Friday as my husband is out of town and I thought it would be easier with him not here over the weekend... and then he'll be forced to join me :-) when he gets back!  I've already completely cleaned out the pantry and tomorrow will do the fridge/freezer.

Tonight I plan to make red coconut curry with chicken and veggies. I am already getting excited about the food! This weekend so far I've made a frittata for the week and shredded veggies for a hash I make for breakfast that keeps me full until lunch.

This is my 3rd Whole 30. The first, amazing! The second, so-so. I struggled and didn't feel like I got many victories out of it. Perhaps it was my attitude :-) This time it's more about kick starting a more true paleo lifestyle for longer term brain, gut and overall health lifestyle.  Yep, want to lose some weight too but figure if I re-work my eating habits and feel better it will come in time.

Two things on coffee (it's a food group for me so I don't mess around). Cold Brew - I make cold brew which is less acidic and easier on the tummy if you drink it without a creamer. Second, nutpods or make almond milk with half the water. I do both - nutpods a little expensive but delicious which is why I tend to make almond milk.

I have recently begun drinking roasted dandelion tea which has a similar flavor to coffee and no caffeine - I drink it as an afternoon or evening small snack.

Looking forward to the adventure!

2 hours ago, Lady Bratface said:

I am giving up diet Pepsi and it is a B*******!!  I was a sixpack+ a day drinker and today is day 5 without a drop and no sugar as I pre-adjust to the whole 30.  I've found that green tea is an awesome replacement. No need for sweeteners and it tastes better than just lemon water *barf* or water-water *meh*.   No...I'm not going to drink anything bubbly because with my luck, it will just trigger me.  Make sure you put some sort of caffeine in your system if you're going to knock out coffee, don't punish yourself that way. 

Oh, indeed.  Maybe I'll switch to Earl Grey tea.

I would love to join you . I just started today . I need to get use to the prepping and planning 

Also  everting else in between . I don’t about this pantry clean out though !!

my kids will have a mental breakdown 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kiji said:

I don’t about this pantry clean out though !!

my kids will have a mental breakdown 

People who live with other, non-Whole30 people don't usually do a full clean out -- definitely don't suddenly take your kids' favorites away if they're not joining you in this. Some people put their own foods in a special place -- reserve a shelf or box in the pantry and a spot in the fridge and freezer that you only put Whole30 compliant stuff in so you know what's yours, or alternately, put the non-Whole30 stuff in one spot and ask them to keep their stuff there, where you don't see it or have to dig through it to get to your stuff. I guess it depends on which you have more of, what will work better for you.

12 hours ago, Lady Bratface said:

Ah-oh!  Another Brat in the forum?  We might start flipping tables! ;) 

You pick the table, I start flipping! That cracked me up :lol: 

I gave up my Diet Dr Pepper habit back in June, it wasn't as voluminous as yours but it was pretty serious.  It took awhile, maybe 3 months before I didn't miss it too badly.  I've learned to like certain La Croix (compliant) sparkling mineral water flavors, but that took a few months more.  Their "curate" flavors - I like the blackberry-cucumber and cherry-lime the best - are pretty good.  

I’m starting tomorrow as well! It’s my first time, and I’m a bit intimidated as I am the only one in my household, so I just have to trust myself and say to my fiancé and friends! Easter isn’t too far away, so that will be the real test! Let’s do this!

Hello All!

I am starting today, so I think I will hop into your group too. I have completed Whole30 Jan 2017, almost made it this past start date Feb 12th, but had a cookie attack because I didn't plan. KEY: PLAN, PLAN & PLAN.

I have made several changes over the last few years, and many now. I mostly have cut out dairy, Holidays some, but then my stomach gets upset, so best to stay away from it...

@Jim4884 I also tried black, sometimes I can, sometimes not.  

@NalaPlus3 I mostly will add Almond Milk, Cashew Milk or Coconut Milk (drinking milk). This adds flavor, but not overwhelming!

Happy Preparing!

Lanette

9 hours ago, Kiji said:

Ok starting to prep my veggies ,roasted veggies are roasting away in the oven , clarified butter ready to go !!

59C13438-DE27-4F90-9B56-4125B62A434B.jpeg

22 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

People who live with other, non-Whole30 people don't usually do a full clean out -- definitely don't suddenly take your kids' favorites away if they're not joining you in this. Some people put their own foods in a special place -- reserve a shelf or box in the pantry and a spot in the fridge and freezer that you only put Whole30 compliant stuff in so you know what's yours, or alternately, put the non-Whole30 stuff in one spot and ask them to keep their stuff there, where you don't see it or have to dig through it to get to your stuff. I guess it depends on which you have more of, what will work better for you.

Thanks Shannon, I set aside space for myself and left the kiddies stash alone 

7 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

I am starting today, the 11th, but I need buddies too. I've tried to start 3 times, but have a new outlook and resolve. I'm doing this for more than just a diet, but a new start and consciousness to choices in life in general.

Good luck Adam, 4th round will be a charm .

21 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

You pick the table, I start flipping! That cracked me up :lol: 

I gave up my Diet Dr Pepper habit back in June, it wasn't as voluminous as yours but it was pretty serious.  It took awhile, maybe 3 months before I didn't miss it too badly.  I've learned to like certain La Croix (compliant) sparkling mineral water flavors, but that took a few months more.  Their "curate" flavors - I like the blackberry-cucumber and cherry-lime the best - are pretty good.  

*points to the table with ALL that pretty prep work* GO! 

9 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

I am starting today, the 11th, but I need buddies too. I've tried to start 3 times, but have a new outlook and resolve. I'm doing this for more than just a diet, but a new start and consciousness to choices in life in general.

This time is the right time.  You've got this! :) 

I'm starting too!! I started a round last fall. I did good for a week, but then my mom ended up in the hospital - combination of the stress, being a newbie and not always knowing what's compliant and not, and a LOT of needing to eat out while staying with her just got me off track and not able to continue. It has been a whirlwind since then - lots more hospital stays for mom, stress for me, Holidays, and ultimately my mom passing away in January have all sabotaged my plan for doing the Whole30. My grief and stress is still at an all time high, so I'm not sure if this is necessarily the best time for me to start - but if I wait for a "good" time to start, I never will!!

Confession - I'm not 100% ready to start tomorrow. My Sunday plan was to sit down, make lists, do the shopping, and prepare. However my sister and her family decided to come over and help with some things in my new house, to which I couldn't say no. So I am starting "tomorrow" (really today at this point, it's almost 4 am) regardless - because if I don't start on the Monday that I had planned in my head, I will just keep making up excuses!!! 

I work nights too, so that throws a whole new level of difficulty in. Even though I don't technically have a plan for this week, my plan for Monday is to sleep for work, get up early, work out, then do a little bit of grocery shopping - enough of the basics to get me through until Wednesday. Then Wednesday I will be able to sit down and actually plan more for the rest of the week. Eggs, chicken, and veggies will be my friend for the next 2 days! 

I'm not even sure how to plan out meals and shopping lists and everything for an entire week - I've always been an eat whatever you want, whenever you want, mostly eat out type of person. (I've got the extra 40+ pounds to prove it!) But I want to - NEED to - change that. For me. For my health. So I can feel better. I need to feel better right now. 

I can't wait to get to know you guys, and help each other through the next 30 days! (I will need a lot of help ... ha) 

(Phew, sorry for being so wordy - I just started typing and a lot poured out!)

Day #1 down for me. I did my usual run (between 8-10 miles). I was pretty sluggish and it's from my sugar/junk food habits. I know the Whole30 and clean eating will get me to where I want to be energy and fuel wise. 

I hope everyone starting day 1 on the 12th have a great one! I'll come check in!

Adam

And we are ON!  

Spinach and eggs for breakfast, with some full fat coconut milk in the coffee.

@Sunshine2020 I found the coconut beverage made all little chunks in the coffee.  It looked too much like when you put spoiled milk (even though it clearly wasn't) that I'm not doing that again!  Maybe nut beverage doesn't do that.

I'm tempted to try the nutpods, if I can find them locally. From amazon, it's almost 10$, plus another 10$ for shipping! (Canada does have a few disadvantages). 

Day 7 sugar-free. 

Day 1 full whole-30. 

Slowcooker breakfast. Eggs, Steak, Potatoes with coconut milk mixed in. Salsa on the side.  Texture is mushy but it's alright. I'll go with it.  Tea (Sea Magic). Also: So much food. Seriously. 

Lunch will be Meatball soup with squash, carrots, potatoes, lamb/beef meatballs/egg meatballs. (I didn't think about my fat source thinking the meatballs would be enough, but I probably should have brought a half an avocado too.  We'll see)

Archived