Starting March 12th, 2018. Looking for buddies!

hellohollye

@NalaPlus3: if you do Amazon, nutpods are available. I've ordered before when I couldn't find it locally. Expensive but tasty in coffee! Recently I've seen them pop up though in stores. My local Haggen had them on sale for $2.99 so I bought 5 :-)

Day 4 for me. So far, so good. Slept well last night and have really good energy today. I am so glad I did a lot of cooking over the weekend to make the week easy. Frittata for breakfast with avocado and half of an apple.  Today will be my first big day of exercising (I am a figure skater) and I am curious to see if I will feel full enough after a good skate.

To prep over the weekend I watched the documentary, "The Magic Pill" and started reading, "Real Food, Fake Food." Like others I am viewing this as more of a kick-start to longer term health focused eating. I also started my veggie garden with lettuce, kale, arugula and spring herbs planted. With the amount of lettuce I am about to eat (big salad is my favorite lunch) I'll need the 36 plants that went in.

@sjlogghe The book helps when starting out. As does the website - lots of good shopping lists and quick and easy ideas to get going. Eggs, chicken, veggies are a good start!

Happy Monday all

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just beginning my Whole30 adventure. Good luck to everyone else starting out today!

I am the type who, if I try and plan things out, I will procrastinate until I am dead. So I just jumped in.

I made 5 portioned out meals last night, can eat for lunch or dinner. But I am nervous that I will not have enough options available and that I will crack.

Not only am I following Whole30, but I am also trying to cleanse my body of other possibly inflammatory foods after a recent diagnosis. Those foods include citrus, tomato, and coffee/caffeine. Currently sitting at my work desk with a gnarly headache, and feeling so worried that I already feel like I want to give up. My eating habits have been terrible for the last 2 years, and I find solace in crappy food; a phenomenon I am sure you're all able to empathize with. My will power is surely buried under a roll of belly fat.

I want to feel how my body was designed to feel, before it's too late. Any support is appreciated, I am pretty much doing this alone. 

8 hours ago, NalaPlus3 said:

I'm tempted to try the nutpods, if I can find them locally. From amazon, it's almost 10$, plus another 10$ for shipping! (Canada does have a few disadvantages). 

I've seen nutpods at the health food stores. Yeah, they are about $3 for 11 oz. (same price as gold!?!)

1 hour ago, AriSaysShesTired said:

Currently sitting at my work desk with a gnarly headache, and feeling so worried that I already feel like I want to give up. My eating habits have been terrible for the last 2 years, and I find solace in crappy food; a phenomenon I am sure you're all able to empathize with. My will power is surely buried under a roll of belly fat.

I want to feel how my body was designed to feel, before it's too late. Any support is appreciated, I am pretty much doing this alone. 

You are not alone. This is time to re-invent yourself and follow through on what you started. All we can do is take it one day at a time. If you don't follow through than you'll never know what you're capable of. I quit drinking and nicotine 2 years ago but have held on to a sugar habit since then. I know what it's like. We have to break this cycle, see what we are capable, treat our bodies right, CHANGE OUR MINDS!!!

I think it's all about having some prepped meals when you don't feel like cooking. Find a joy in cooking. Find a joy in being different than the "American diet" that is getting us all sick.

LET'S REINVENT OURSELVES!

Adam

8 hours ago, Lady Bratface said:

Day 7 sugar-free. 

Day 1 full whole-30. 

Slowcooker breakfast. Eggs, Steak, Potatoes with coconut milk mixed in. Salsa on the side.  Texture is mushy but it's alright. I'll go with it.  Tea (Sea Magic). Also: So much food. Seriously. 

Lunch will be Meatball soup with squash, carrots, potatoes, lamb/beef meatballs/egg meatballs. (I didn't think about my fat source thinking the meatballs would be enough, but I probably should have brought a half an avocado too.  We'll see)

Do you know where I find week 2 menu plan ?

5 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

You are not alone. This is time to re-invent yourself and follow through on what you started. All we can do is take it one day at a time. If you don't follow through than you'll never know what you're capable of. I quit drinking and nicotine 2 years ago but have held on to a sugar habit since then. I know what it's like. We have to break this cycle, see what we are capable, treat our bodies right, CHANGE OUR MINDS!!!

I think it's all about having some prepped meals when you don't feel like cooking. Find a joy in cooking. Find a joy in being different than the "American diet" that is getting us all sick.

LET'S REINVENT OURSELVES!

Adam

Hi Adam , 

I am with you buddy , it’s difficult for me as well but I prep my food the night before . My trigger point is the drive home so I wrote a list of all my triggers and gave myself an answer on how to react to it . 

So I drank my lemon water and within 3 minutes the cravings went away 

I  did the same thing when making dinner for the kids today .

Just try to get through each meal at a time 

16 minutes ago, Kiji said:

Do you know where I find week 2 menu plan ?

Hi Adam , 

I am with you buddy , it’s difficult for me as well but I prep my food the night before . My trigger point is the drive home so I wrote a list of all my triggers and gave myself an answer on how to react to it . 

So I drank my lemon water and within 3 minutes the cravings went away 

I  did the same thing when making dinner for the kids today .

Just try to get through each meal at a time 

14 hours ago, sjlogghe said:

I'm starting too!! I started a round last fall. I did good for a week, but then my mom ended up in the hospital - combination of the stress, being a newbie and not always knowing what's compliant and not, and a LOT of needing to eat out while staying with her just got me off track and not able to continue. It has been a whirlwind since then - lots more hospital stays for mom, stress for me, Holidays, and ultimately my mom passing away in January have all sabotaged my plan for doing the Whole30. My grief and stress is still at an all time high, so I'm not sure if this is necessarily the best time for me to start - but if I wait for a "good" time to start, I never will!!

Confession - I'm not 100% ready to start tomorrow. My Sunday plan was to sit down, make lists, do the shopping, and prepare. However my sister and her family decided to come over and help with some things in my new house, to which I couldn't say no. So I am starting "tomorrow" (really today at this point, it's almost 4 am) regardless - because if I don't start on the Monday that I had planned in my head, I will just keep making up excuses!!! 

I work nights too, so that throws a whole new level of difficulty in. Even though I don't technically have a plan for this week, my plan for Monday is to sleep for work, get up early, work out, then do a little bit of grocery shopping - enough of the basics to get me through until Wednesday. Then Wednesday I will be able to sit down and actually plan more for the rest of the week. Eggs, chicken, and veggies will be my friend for the next 2 days! 

I'm not even sure how to plan out meals and shopping lists and everything for an entire week - I've always been an eat whatever you want, whenever you want, mostly eat out type of person. (I've got the extra 40+ pounds to prove it!) But I want to - NEED to - change that. For me. For my health. So I can feel better. I need to feel better right now. 

I can't wait to get to know you guys, and help each other through the next 30 days! (I will need a lot of help ... ha) 

(Phew, sorry for being so wordy - I just started typing and a lot poured out!)

Welcome to the group !! I am looking ti shed 40 as well 

Day 1 basically complete, yay!  I had a meeting This evening with lots delicious treats available.... thanksfully there were also compliant nuts there too! I did well today overall, but I am a snacker and need to learn to get this under control. It does seem a bit daunting undoing all the bad habits I’ve developed over the years! 

Also, any good ideas on quick and easy lunches for the work week? I had a salad today and I like salads, but I think I will get tired of those quick. Thanks for any and all suggestions! 

Hello! I just started today too—might I join you?

have Hashimotos, an autoimmune thyroid disease, and I’ve heard that Whole30 can really help identify food sources that cause flare-ups. It might even help me lose a few lbs!

The challenges for me:  I’m a pescatarian, which makes things a wee bit harder, but doable.

My husband and son are not doing this.

The hardest thing to give up is my glass or two of wine at night! 

___

Today went well I think: two poached eggs with sautéed kale and zucchini and avocado for breakfast; leftover roasted potatoes and broccoli tossed in lemon tahini dressing over greens for lunch (with an apple, a date, a dried apricot, and about 10 hazelnuts); bass with roasted cauliflower and a baked sweet potato (and more tahini) for dinner. And I went to the gym at the time I normally sit down for that (first) glass of wine. 

Oh, and lots of LaCroix! 

Day 2:

I woke up feeling energized, but those levels plummeted the second I got in my car to drive to work. My habits have been so bad for so long, ie picking up McDonalds on my way to or from work (sometimes both) 4 days a week. I feel exhausted and unfocused.

I struggle with an inflammatory bladder disease, which requires other limitations outside Whole30. I also smoke(d) cigarettes, and am cutting those out too. Perhaps I am making things harder than they ought to be.

So far I have decided to eliminate coffee/caffeine, tomatoes, citrus, acidic foods and anything effervescent.

SO please... what can I eat?!?! :'-(

@AriSaysShesTired You just gotta start small and take care of yourself. Plenty of amazing vegetables and fruits and healthy proteins to eat. Make a big crockpot of soup and keep serving size freezer bags (bpa free) in the freezer. Helps you when you're ready to pounce! Just take it out and heat it up in a pot and add some avocado! So many options, just have to do a little research and things will start changing in a positive way quickly! Day 2 and 3 you're sort of in detox mode so just keep going to gain freedom from the past!

Adam

Hi everyone! Today is actually my first day of the Whole30 but close enough! For most of the past 12 years, I have had a very healthy diet but that has changed for me drastically in the past year due to stress of work, grad school, volunteering, and of course: social situations with drinks and greasy foods. I really want to cut those things out and get back to the delicious foods that make me feel energized. 

Day 1 so far so good: 2 scrambled eggs with green onions and avocado with a pear on the side. black coffee. Lunch will be a tuna lettuce wrap and Asian slaw.

I'm looking forward to this journey with everyone:) 

6 hours ago, AriSaysShesTired said:

Day 2:

I woke up feeling energized, but those levels plummeted the second I got in my car to drive to work. My habits have been so bad for so long, ie picking up McDonalds on my way to or from work (sometimes both) 4 days a week. I feel exhausted and unfocused.

I struggle with an inflammatory bladder disease, which requires other limitations outside Whole30. I also smoke(d) cigarettes, and am cutting those out too. Perhaps I am making things harder than they ought to be.

So far I have decided to eliminate coffee/caffeine, tomatoes, citrus, acidic foods and anything effervescent.

SO please... what can I eat?!?! :'-

Hi everyone! I wish I saw this post over the weekend, so I could have joined your journey yesterday, but that's ok! Tomorrow, March 13, will be my start date. I am super exciting to join everyone on their Whole30 journey. I successfully completed my FIRST Whole30 a year ago on March 12, so it feels really great to start my second journey exactly a year apart! A little background on how it went last year...I lost 9 pounds, had great non-scale victories such as clearer skin, less bloating, stronger nails, and overall boost in confidence. The hardest part was the reintroduction phase, so that is something I will be working harder on this time around. I can't wait to hear about your daily victories and join this awesome community again!!

30 DAYS HERE WE GO!

Day 2! I dodged donuts at work, my husbands snacks at lunch and more of his non compliant foods at supper (phew!). Felt pretty sluggish this afternoon but am better now after supper. Glad I have all of you to help support me through this... it’s awesome knowing there are so many of us going through this together!! 

On to day 3.  Yesterday, I went to the gym, (also trying to do c25k) and that didn't go so well.  I wasn't able to complete the second 3 minute run interval.  Oh well, I still walked and ran.  The strength part went better than last time, at least.

It was also "attack of the squirrels".  Focus level is REALLY LOW.  Still, I made it!

One of the hardest things is to remember not to lick my fingers when I'm packing lunch for the kids, who aren't doing the whole30, like when I wipe a little bit of yogourt.

Last night was deconstructed sweet potato bun burgers. Once everything was ready, I just didn't see the point of building the burger, and just used a fork.

I am on day #6 now. Feeling pretty good other than really bloated which is weird but maybe detox. i am feeling pretty good overall. Eating is fine - my husband made Indian curry cod last night and it was delicious. We ate it over cauli rice vs regular rice and if I would not have undercooked it :-) it would have just as good as rice. I was kind of in weird "why bother" mood and almost had a piece of chocolate thinking Paleo is good enough... which is true - but not yet. I am glad I held out.

So far pros: sleeping like a log, energy is pretty good, eating is fairly easy (my weekend prep is still sustaining me)

Challenges: was dizzy/vertigo a bit on Monday which was a bummer, still getting hungry between meals but know that will pass, not noticing any changes in how my clothes fit. 

Need to drink more water for sure, I am terrible about this in general.

@AriSaysShesTired  saw you are giving up caffeine - wow you are brave. Might I suggest dandelion tea? The roasted root variety  has a really nice flavor similar to coffee. I drink it all the time including making a chai tea that I drink with home made almond milk. It's tasty! Also, do you have a Trader Joe's by you? They have a jalapeno hot sauce that is compliant. I have been known to shake a few drops on a half of an avocado in a pinch. That plus small baggies of almonds and sliced apples. I also always have shredded mixed veggies (zucc, onion, sweet pot, carrot, whatever I have) in my fridge for a quick hash.

@Alexd8 - our photos are similar :-) I am a repeater too... I only lost 5.8lbs last time so was super disappointed, went to Amsterdam and ate dutch pancakes the day after I finished. As you can imagine things unraveled fast. This time I hope to shift to paleo when done. I don't expect to lose much until after the Whole 30 as that is what happened for me after Whole 30#1. Anyway, here we go!

12 hours ago, alexd8 said:

Hi everyone! I wish I saw this post over the weekend, so I could have joined your journey yesterday, but that's ok! Tomorrow, March 13, will be my start date. I am super exciting to join everyone on their Whole30 journey. I successfully completed my FIRST Whole30 a year ago on March 12, so it feels really great to start my second journey exactly a year apart! A little bckground on how it went last year...I lost 9 pounds, had great non-scale victories such as clearer skin, less bloating, stronger nails, and overall boost in confidence. The hardest part was the reintroduction phase, so that is something I will be working harder on this time around. I can't wait to hear about your daily victories and join this awesome community again!!

30 DAYS HERE WE GO!

12 hours ago, alexd8 said:

Hi everyone! I wish I saw this post over the weekend, so I could have joined your journey yesterday, but that's ok! Tomorrow, March 13, will be my start date. I am super exciting to join everyone on their Whole30 journey. I successfully completed my FIRST Whole30 a year ago on March 12, so it feels really great to start my second journey exactly a year apart! A little background on how it went last year...I lost 9 pounds, had great non-scale victories such as clearer skin, less bloating, stronger nails, and overall boost in confidence. The hardest part was the reintroduction phase, so that is something I will be working harder on this time around. I can't wait to hear about your daily victories and join this awesome community again!!

30 DAYS HERE WE GO

@EatingSun your post gave me hope! I'm on day 2 and lacking any energy as well as feeling aggravated in general. I didn't think the first few days would be so bad since I didn't think I ate much sugar but I have been proved wrong! Haha. Maybe my energy will pick up towards day 6 like you:) Also, indian curry cod sounds delicious! I may plan that for next week!!

I started my Whole 30 on Monday, March 12th. The first 2 days have been great. But I need to figure out a way to get enough protein. I am Indian - Vegetarian, So I dont eat meat, fish or eggs. 

Monday:

- Workout: Crossfit at 6:30am, Pre-Workout: Any Suggestions? All I ate was a banana ... Post Workout: Sweet Potatoes and Almond Milk

- Breakfast: Chia Seed Pudding: https://vitamin-sunshine.com/chia-breakfast-pudding-whole30/

- Lunch: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-pav-bhaji-a-fastfood-recipe-from-mumbai/ (Without the bread, butter and beans)

- Dinner: Cauliflower, Potatoes and Lettuce curry

Tuesday: 

- Workout: Crossfit at 6:30am , Pre-Workout: Any Suggestions? All I ate was a banana ... Post Workout: Sweet Potatoes and Almond Milk.

- Breakfast: Chia Seed Pudding: https://vitamin-sunshine.com/chia-breakfast-pudding-whole30/

- Lunch: Cauliflower, Potatoes and Lettuce curry

- Dinner: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-pav-bhaji-a-fastfood-recipe-from-mumbai/ (Without the bread, butter and beans)

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, aps5842 said:

I started my Whole 30 on Monday, March 12th. The first 2 days have been great. But I need to figure out a way to get enough protein. I am Indian - Vegetarian, So I dont eat meat, fish or eggs. 

Monday:

- Workout: Crossfit at 6:30am, Pre-Workout: Any Suggestions? All I ate was a banana ... Post Workout: Sweet Potatoes and Almond Milk

- Breakfast: Chia Seed Pudding: https://vitamin-sunshine.com/chia-breakfast-pudding-whole30/

- Lunch: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-pav-bhaji-a-fastfood-recipe-from-mumbai/ (Without the bread, butter and beans)

- Dinner: Cauliflower, Potatoes and Lettuce curry

Tuesday: 

- Workout: Crossfit at 6:30am , Pre-Workout: Any Suggestions? All I ate was a banana ... Post Workout: Sweet Potatoes and Almond Milk.

- Breakfast: Chia Seed Pudding: https://vitamin-sunshine.com/chia-breakfast-pudding-whole30/

- Lunch: Cauliflower, Potatoes and Lettuce curry

- Dinner: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-pav-bhaji-a-fastfood-recipe-from-mumbai/ (Without the bread, butter and beans)

Have you seen this article?

https://whole30.com/2017/06/veg-whole30/

• Moderators
On 3/13/2018 at 8:56 AM, AriSaysShesTired said:

Day 2:

SO please... what can I eat?!?! :'-(

It sounds like you can still eat any kind of meat, most vegetables, many fruits, herbal teas, and water. You might look at the guidelines for the AIP protocol and see if they line up with what you're doing, if so, you can google Whole30 AIP recipes for recipe ideas:  https://www.thepaleomom.com/start-here/the-autoimmune-protocol/ 

Dammit dammit dammit!!!

I just made myself this stir fry with plenty of vegetables, shrimps, coconut aminos, and a dash of rice vinegar.  Rice vinegar is allowed; I made sure first.

MY rice vinegar has dextrose in it. 

I guess I now have a nice meal ready to eat in 28 days. ARG!

Boiled eggs, potato, and some raw veg it is for me.

@EatingSun Those mini teacups are the best ;-) So nice to hear I'm not alone in the struggle of the reintroduction phase! I'm going to look into Paleo and see if that's something I can do once the Whole30 is over, thanks for the tip! Also, congrats on day 6!! 

& congrats to everyone who are continuing to conquer each day!!

I'm on Day 1 today (I accidentally wrote in my previous post that I was starting tomorrow 3/13, when tomorrow was actually 3/14)! The best day is Day 1 when you feel on top of the world, but honestly I'm exciting for this journey and to defeat each challenge day by day and make myself a healthier, stronger person!!

Can't wait to hear about everyone's day today!

Archived