Applegate frustration

CoachJimmyJ

So frustrated with Applegate, went to Kroger expecting to find a plethora of compliant meat products and every one of their lunch meats including their salami contained sugar of some sort. I looked at what must have been 10 different packages of salami and every one had sugar or dextrose. It is so frustrating that these companies seem to think that if it’s organic cane sugar it somehow isn’t sugar, I call bs. Any suggestions that won’t break the bank would be appreciated.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, CoachJimmyJ said:

So frustrated with Applegate, went to Kroger expecting to find a plethora of compliant meat products and every one of their lunch meats including their salami contained sugar of some sort. I looked at what must have been 10 different packages of salami and every one had sugar or dextrose. It is so frustrating that these companies seem to think that if it’s organic cane sugar it somehow isn’t sugar, I call bs. Any suggestions that won’t break the bank would be appreciated.

Does Applegate actually say that they don't use sugar?  I know they have compliant products that don't have sugar but I don't think anyone is trying to BS anyone else by pretending that organic cane sugar isn't actual sugar.

Compliant deli meat is very hard to find depending on where you live (for instance in BC, I have zero options).  Sometimes rather than using all your time and energy to search for a convenience product, roasting a chicken or pork roast and then slicing thin can be a better option - and it usually doesn't break the bank to roast a chicken.

1 hour ago, CoachJimmyJ said:

"Meat products" tend to be processed and processed foods will very often be non-compliant. Applegate has a section on their website specifically listing their Whole30 compliant products. Checking out their website first probably would have saved you a lot of frustration. http://applegate.com/whole30approved

My further observations as a former sandwich junkie, turkey and roast beef are the easiest lunch meats to find Whole 30 compliant, and those are relatively rare - Trader Joes has two compliant turkeys and their own roast beef is clean.  Sprouts has some compliant turkey as well.  T Joes has a compliant prosciutto, but be careful, they have several versions of prosciutto most of which are not compliant.  

For your own peace of mind, the "rest of the world" is slowly catching on to healthy eating, but it is way behind.  Lowering your expectations in this regard will likely bring some comfort - I cannot tell you how many times I had to hold back a "OH COME ON!" reading an ingredient list on something that should NOT be so dang hard :) 

Archived