Coming to the end of Whole30...still bloated and gassy

RAB

I'm coming to the end of Whole30. Overall, I feel lighter and I know I'm slimmed down by the way my clothes are feeling. Unfortunately, I'm still very bloated, which was one of the main issues I was targeting with this program. I've always been active and ate pretty clean. But, I have Hashimotos and these past few years I've been feeling worse and have put on some weight. My bloating has also gotten pretty bad. So, I was hoping to see some positive changes related to that with the Whole30. Do most people with bloating issues see success in these first 30 days? And during my reintroduction period, what other symptoms should I look for besides bloating and gas? I don't really have issues with headaches or ache. Thank you!

• Administrators

Sorry you're still feeling bloated. It could be that you're eating commonly problematic foods even though they are compliant. Raw veggies, lettuces, brassica (cauli, brocoli), onions etc are all bloat-causers. Nuts, nut butters and nut milks too.

If you want to see if we can help mitigate the bloating, post a few typical days of food and let's see if anything stands out.

Hi Ladyshanny,

Thanks for the note. Yes, I've heard there are certain foods that can cause bloating/gas. But, I haven't watched that too closely. I guess I was hoping eliminating the grains and gluten would take care of the bloating/gas :-) Here's what my typical meals looks like:

Breakfast: eggs with onion, jalapeno, mushroom, // turkey bacon // sweet potato or white potatoes.  This has been my breakfast 98% of the time I've been on Whole30. I've definitely never eaten this meany eggs in life!!

Lunch/Dinner: chicken or ground turkey patties // salad (kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage), pistachios, orange-lemon vinegarette // sweet potatoes. I'd guess I'm eating raw veggies (salads) at least every other day.

** If I need a snack, it's typically a small apple with almond butter.

Tomorrow is my last day on the Whole30. I'm just wondering if I should go a few days (or another week) and eliminate some of the potentially gassy foods BEFORE starting my reintroduction. I also read on another forum that eggs can cause bloating. I know for a fact I'm eating those every single day. So, I wonder how I'd feel w/out although I can't think about what I'd replace them with. My go-to breakfast was a plant based protein shake w/ greens. I will most likely add that back in or reintroduce it and see if there are any issues.

Thanks!

RAB

16 hours ago, RAB said:

Hi Ladyshanny,

Thanks for the note. Yes, I've heard there are certain foods that can cause bloating/gas. But, I haven't watched that too closely. I guess I was hoping eliminating the grains and gluten would take care of the bloating/gas :-) Here's what my typical meals looks like:

Breakfast: eggs with onion, jalapeno, mushroom, // turkey bacon // sweet potato or white potatoes.  This has been my breakfast 98% of the time I've been on Whole30. I've definitely never eaten this meany eggs in life!!

Lunch/Dinner: chicken or ground turkey patties // salad (kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage), pistachios, orange-lemon vinegarette // sweet potatoes. I'd guess I'm eating raw veggies (salads) at least every other day.

** If I need a snack, it's typically a small apple with almond butter.

Tomorrow is my last day on the Whole30. I'm just wondering if I should go a few days (or another week) and eliminate some of the potentially gassy foods BEFORE starting my reintroduction. I also read on another forum that eggs can cause bloating. I know for a fact I'm eating those every single day. So, I wonder how I'd feel w/out although I can't think about what I'd replace them with. My go-to breakfast was a plant based protein shake w/ greens. I will most likely add that back in or reintroduce it and see if there are any issues.

Thanks!

RAB

Hey @RAB

If this is a very typical day for you then it's understandable that you might have some bloating as the items I've highlighted in purple would all be considered medium to high FODMAP foods, which when eaten in volume (or in combinations in one meal, or a few times throughout the day) can cause serious bloating & gas. You could add pretty much all nuts/nut butters to that list along with avocado & garlic for starters.... You could try cutting back on the high FODMAP veg & subbing with low FODMAP (eg. zuchinni, parsnips, white potato, eggplant, garlic infused oils, bok choi, spinach etc) and see how you go. I suspect the bloating will subside...

Hope this helps :-)

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, eatclean_4life said:

I have the same issue. With the FODMAP info it feels like what's left to eat?!? So frustrating for me.

Sorry you're feeling frustrated, that definitely makes it harder. If you can dig in and clear your system, you may eventually find that it's a tolerance thing. So maybe you can have some of something but not every day or every meal and not in conjunction with another item. It's clearing it all up that is the hard work. Sorry!

2 minutes ago, eatclean_4life said:

I have the same issue. With the FODMAP info it feels like what's left to eat?!? So frustrating for me.

I feel your pain. Hontesly. I ate low FODMAP for about six months and kept a log of my reintroductions on here, although it's a bit rambly...

Take a look at the infographic about half way down >this article< and eat from the green section only for a week, then try adding back some of the amber to increase your food choices.... if you're feeling adventurous try out some of the red and see how you go.

I'm back eating pretty much everything these days, although I seldom eat fruit/nuts, and keep an eye on my 'load'

Hope this helps!

Archived