Day 13

skigirl4Life

I have cheated by getting on the scale the past few days. Very depressing. :( Despite working very hard to maintain 100% Compliance I have found only about 2 lb weight loss. I have about 60 more lbs to go too.

I am still very committed considering my Boyfriend lost 19lbs and has blood sugar measurements with out Diabetes Meds that is completely off the charts!. I do have way more energy and I have noticed very early on in the process that I am thinking clearer than I have in a long time.

The past few days have been difficult. Tired of Salads and struggling with finding recipes for the food I have on hand.

One thing that is important about this process is NOT to listen or internalize non-Whole30 advice. Its hard bc those little voices in my head are saying things like "Your eating too much food" (even tho I am probably eating too little), "Stop eating so much meat", "Stop eating fruit and potatoes" etc.

The big reason why I am doing Whole30 is so I feel more confident and look better in my business suits so I can move my career forward. I have a big job interview today and I know I will have to still squeeze into my ugly frumpy work clothes even after eating healthy consistently for 2 week so that's not very encouraging either.

My plan is to try to keep walking everyday and to drink alot more water.

• Moderators

It's a 30 day plan for a reason. Many, many people spend the first three weeks or so feeling like they're not losing, maybe even gaining, only to get to the very end to be surprised to see they have lost weight. This is a big part of why we ask you to put the scale away for the entire 30 days. Weight loss is not linear -- if you weighed yourself every hour on the hour, it could vary throughout the day, and definitely can vary from day to day.

You don't have to eat salads, you don't need recipes. Do you have some compliant seasonings on hand that you like? Use them to season whatever meats and vegetables you like. 

Try doing chicken breasts this way (you don't have to trim the extra fat, and where it says use a non-stick spray, you may need to use oil instead, as many sprays have soy in them): https://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2015/05/brined-and-baked-chicken-breasts.html -- and if you don't feel like doing them in the oven, brine them like that and then do them on the grill. Brining will make them amazingly moist, and that particular brine should be ingredients you have or could easily get, but if not, the most important thing is the salt and the water. Any other flavor is just extra.

Make burger patties, put them on sweet potato (https://thenourishinghome.com/2016/02/how-to-make-sweet-potato-buns/) or portabello mushroom (https://www.livestrong.com/article/544269-how-to-cook-mushrooms-as-hamburger-buns/) "buns" with mustard, mayo, tomato, onions, and pickles (or whatever you like on your burger -- use guac instead of mayo if you like). Make some fries like this: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/baked-french-fries-paleo-whole30/ to go with them.

Make a stir-fry with whatever vegetables you have on hand, and whatever leftover meat you have. Roast all the veggies! Seriously, they're all better roasted -- it brings out a natural sweetness to them, and makes the edges crispy.  I love roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder, or with curry powder, or with Old Bay seasoning. 

What foods do you have on hand that you aren't sure what to do with? Someone's bound to have a favorite way to fix them.

8 hours ago, skigirl4Life said:

I am still very committed considering my Boyfriend lost 19lbs and has blood sugar measurements with out Diabetes Meds that is completely off the charts!. I do have way more energy and I have noticed very early on in the process that I am thinking clearer than I have in a long time.

The past few days have been difficult. Tired of Salads and struggling with finding recipes for the food I have on hand.

The big reason why I am doing Whole30 is so I feel more confident and look better in my business suits so I can move my career forward. I have a big job interview today and I know I will have to still squeeze into my ugly frumpy work clothes even after eating healthy consistently for 2 week so that's not very encouraging either

I’m no expert, but I feel you. Don’t compare your journey to your boyfriend’s- men seem to always shed the pounds more quickly!

as Shannon said above, it’s 30 days for a reason...your body may be still resetting itself! Also, when I’ve gained weight it hasn’t been “put on 30 lbs in 30 days” - it’s more gradual - so why wouldn’t losing weight work the same? 

Are you trying to find recipes to combine all your food items? Lately I’ve been just making foods to fit the template, maybe not the same cooking method for it all, but I use the same seasoning so it “goes” together. I’m giving up the ghost of having perfectly instagrammable meals at all times.

the other thing that’s helped is that I purchased a lot of different food options. So if chicken doesn’t do it for you tonight, you have a backup ready to go that’s still compliant.

don’t give up! 

Hi, skigirl - hang in there.  I am not a big recipe person either, so I did sort of what sweetcee recommended and just bought a ridiculous amount of various proteins, broke them into meal-sized ziplock (two thighs, for instance, which may also give me leftovers for the next day's something) and put them all in the freezer.  At night I just pull something out and work with it the next day.  I also buy a bunch of vegetables and just grab something - plus if I do make a recipe (like chicken meatballs) I doubled it and froze a bunch of them for later grabbing.  It let me do all my planning at once vs. having to really be smart about it throughout.

Now I'll grant you, I've eaten some weird combinations of stuff to get my veggie/protein/fruit combo  - but I don't care.   I also recommend making that frittata thing - I ate breakfast on that sucker for a week (not every day).  I just cut it into wedges and layered them in a tupperware with wax paper in between.  I'm also a big fan of throwing a bunch of random stuff in a skillet and tossing some whisked eggs in there and calling it a thing.  

Stocking up a little may make you feel like you have more options.  Salads are boring to me (I don't know why...), so I have only had them a few times - as you say, it's all a matter of telling those little voices that they can just take a break for a month while you do something new to see how it goes.  I do feel like I'm eating more than I did before - but for 30 days I'm going to have faith and see what happens.  

I know if I can do this then you can - and bury that scale for a few more weeks, it's not your friend.  And by the way, people are going to ultimately hire you for your brain, not your body.  Go get 'em.

Hugs.

Archived