Too much starchy veg?

Muse_of_Fire

As of today (Tuesday) I am currently on day 29, but I will continue my W30 through the weekend, because I had a couple days mid-program where I was eating added sugar in some dried fruit that I thought was compliant and realized later wasn't, and also because it will be easier for me to plan my reintroduction over a weekend and start reintroduction next Monday.

Throughout my program I've been trying hard to listen to my body and tweak/adjust as I go. Early on I was feeling dizzy so I upped my food intake; also I had *horrible* PMS -- I was so moody it was scaring me: paranoia, mood swings, completely irrational thoughts. I usually get a little moody and sensitive/depressed during that time but this was way different. I searched around on the forum and saw some suggestions for women to up their starchy veg in this case, so I started that. I will have to wait until my next period to see if it affects my PMS moods but I will say that as soon as I increased my starchy veg I felt generally better overall.

However now I am worried I have overdone it. In doing some other reading I am seeing that the recommendation is 1 fist-sized serving of starchy veg at ONE meal. I have been including one at *every* meal, plus my template-sized protein and fat, and the rest non-starchy veggies on my plate. Is this too much? Starchy veg is either potato, plantain, or sweet potato, depending on what my body feels like it wants, but those are my 3 choices for starch. I have been feeling much better generally since adding this back in but I worry it is too far "off-template" since the recommendation is only at one meal.

Starting to feel the worry of "what happens when I start reintroduction?" at this point in my program (i.e. will I lose all my progress?) and am worried that the starch is also a contributing factor in this. 

Thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Muse_of_Fire said:

As of today (Tuesday) I am currently on day 29, but I will continue my W30 through the weekend, because I had a couple days mid-program where I was eating added sugar in some dried fruit that I thought was compliant and realized later wasn't, and also because it will be easier for me to plan my reintroduction over a weekend and start reintroduction next Monday.

Throughout my program I've been trying hard to listen to my body and tweak/adjust as I go. Early on I was feeling dizzy so I upped my food intake; also I had *horrible* PMS -- I was so moody it was scaring me: paranoia, mood swings, completely irrational thoughts. I usually get a little moody and sensitive/depressed during that time but this was way different. I searched around on the forum and saw some suggestions for women to up their starchy veg in this case, so I started that. I will have to wait until my next period to see if it affects my PMS moods but I will say that as soon as I increased my starchy veg I felt generally better overall.

However now I am worried I have overdone it. In doing some other reading I am seeing that the recommendation is 1 fist-sized serving of starchy veg at ONE meal. I have been including one at *every* meal, plus my template-sized protein and fat, and the rest non-starchy veggies on my plate. Is this too much? Starchy veg is either potato, plantain, or sweet potato, depending on what my body feels like it wants, but those are my 3 choices for starch. I have been feeling much better generally since adding this back in but I worry it is too far "off-template" since the recommendation is only at one meal.

Starting to feel the worry of "what happens when I start reintroduction?" at this point in my program (i.e. will I lose all my progress?) and am worried that the starch is also a contributing factor in this. 

Thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

The one fist size per day is a starting point and the bare minimum that we recommend. We also say that people who exercise, people with depression or anxiety etc will likely need more. More is fine. Go with how you feel!

I wouldn't worry too much.  I have eaten Whole30 template style for over a year now and eat a portion of starchy veg at almost every meal.  I have thyroid issues and get moody and anxious VERY easily.  I decided early on that the way the extra starch made me feel (good) was worth the extra 5 pounds I might hang on to because of it :)  My primary ones are sweet potatoes, carrots and plantains.  I rotate in others as I get them: beets, parsnips, rutabaga, winter squash, etc.  I always have non-starchy veg on my plate too.  I try to limit my fruits (personal issue with sugar).

Thank you! I needed to read this.  I've been having a little starch (some sweet potato or purple potato at every meal - I probably don't have more than 2 fists a day if that) about twice a day, same reasons as OP - thinking it would help me feel better. I too have limited my fruit intake - my sweet tooth is my downfall - and want to make sure my sugar dragon is gone. Glad it is not going to put off progress if I have a little more starch or at more than one meal.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Beanette said:

I am a bit at lost at where to find how much of what to eat. I didn't know about the starchy vegetables and I think I might be missing on something. Anyone can help me in this? Thanks.

whole30-meal-planning.pdf T

The meal template is what we want you to base your meals on. Starchy veg is recommended to be at least a fist sized serving once a day and then more if you're particularly active, a woman on or near her period, someone with mild mood disorders.  In general terms, 1-2 palms of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies (subbing in a fist sized serving of starchy veg as you like) and then added plated fat as mentioned above.

17 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

whole30-meal-planning.pdf T

The meal template is what we want you to base your meals on. Starchy veg is recommended to be at least a fist sized serving once a day and then more if you're particularly active, a woman on or near her period, someone with mild mood disorders.  In general terms, 1-2 palms of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies (subbing in a fist sized serving of starchy veg as you like) and then added plated fat as mentioned above.

Thanks

Archived