Guidance for a restaurant worker

I am starting the Whole30 this week but I have concerns about my lifestyle/work schedule. I work as a server in a fine dining restaurant- my hours are vampire-like. I go in between 1pm and 2pm, eat "lunch" with the rest of the staff at 3:30pm, then work nonstop until anywhere between 1am and 2:30am. One of the biggest problems/bad habits for me has been snacking on unhealthy things at 2am when I am done with work and before going to bed because I am so hungry. The restaurant is pretty intense and I don't have another opportunity to eat a real meal until we are totally totally done. 

I wanted to see if anyone else has a similar work schedule and if so, what their tips are for succeeding at the Whole30. Thanks! 

• Administrators

You don't get even a 10-minute break in the 12 hours you're at work? No bathroom, no smoke break, no quick breather? As hard as it may be, part of Whole30 is valuing our innate need for healthy, whole foods....or in your case our innate need to eat at regular intervals. I would bring something that you can stash in the kitchen (chopped burger patty, chopped chicken thighs, some baked yam fries, steamed brocoli) and take a couple minutes to eat as you swing through.

I would make absolutely sure that you pack a meal to have at 2am instead of gnoshing on the unhealthy stuff. 

You can also google "nom nom paleo graveyard shift" as she has an excellent article for folks working the vampire shifts!

Archived