Keurig

PaleoMama

I have Googled my toosh off since getting the Keurig from "Santa". I cannot locate ingredient information on the K cup contents. I.e. natural vs artificial flavours. I mean some are clearly obvious I am not going to touch something called "crème brule" clearly it is going to contain "junk" I don't want. Are any of the flavoured options acceptable? Has anyone been able to find info? I was excited to find out the Kcups and water contact parts are BPA free but now I want to learn more about what is in these cups! I know the easiest thing to do if I don't know is just to avoid, but if I can have them I would like to :wacko:

Do they not do plain coffee varieties? any flavoured coffee is going to be dodgy imo.

there website seems to have some info - this is for the vue packs though...but gives you an idea!

http://www.keurig.com/coffee/chai-latte-vue-cafe-escapes

SUGAR, CREAMER (HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, GLUCOSE SYRUP, SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, SILICON DIOXIDE), NONFAT DRY MILK, INSTANT TEA, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, SUCRALOSE.

CONTAINS: MILK

I would steer clear of the "flavoured" coffee and stick with just plain old boring coffee. Flavoured is code for chemicals created to taste like the real thing. I have added real vanilla or 85% pure chocolate shavings to coffee for flavouring. You could probably try crushed blueberries or orange zest too.

I have the k-cup insert and just grind up my own beans - at least for the next month anyway - so I know that my cup of joe isn't sabotaging my day before it even starts.

If the idea of unflavoured coffee is too unappealing maybe try a herbal tea instead, there are some fabulous teas out there with everything from lemon to peppermint to valerian in it. They taste amazing and don't need to be artificially 'bumped" to be palatable.

I have the k-cup insert and just grind up my own beans - at least for the next month anyway - so I know that my cup of joe isn't sabotaging my day before it even starts.

Excellent idea But I shall miss my Jamaica Me Crazy ^_^

I can tell you after working in a coffee shop that any pre-flavored coffee is a no-no for whole 30 because of the process to get it in the coffee. chemicals are involved the majority of the time to get them in there. So unless it's coffee with other ingredients in it to make it flavored (aka cinnamon, ground vanilla bean, etc), then you're out of luck.

If you insist on having flavored coffee, I'd suggest getting some extracts and an eye dropper. Extracts (as long as they don't have preservatives) are allowed on whole30, and the eye dropper would let you add just enough for your cup. I'd also recommend darker or bolder coffees to do this with because the added flavor will not be as overpowering.

I can tell you after working in a coffee shop that any pre-flavored coffee is a no-no for whole 30 because of the process to get it in the coffee. chemicals are involved the majority of the time to get them in there. So unless it's coffee with other ingredients in it to make it flavored (aka cinnamon, ground vanilla bean, etc), then you're out of luck.

If you insist on having flavored coffee, I'd suggest getting some extracts and an eye dropper. Extracts (as long as they don't have preservatives) are allowed on whole30, and the eye dropper would let you add just enough for your cup. I'd also recommend darker or bolder coffees to do this with because the added flavor will not be as overpowering.

Awesome insider tip ;) Thanks!

I got a keurig as a wedding present, and while I absolutely love it, I never use k-cups. I bought one of the refillable cups ( like this one), mostly because I'm too cheap to pay for k-cups all the time, but it's better for the environment since you aren't throwing things out every day, and you also get to put any kind of coffee you want in there.

I use the ekobrew filters, you can get them from Amazon...or if you're lucky like I was- I got mine on Groupon, it was like $11 for 3 of them :) I like them better than the "my K-cup) because you don't have to remove the insert in the Keurig...although, they take a little longer for the water to come through and can make a bit of a mess if you're not careful because there is more than just one tiny hole where the water leaks through. Anyway, I sprinkle cinamon, nutmeg, ginger....whatever, in my coffee for a bit of flavor and it's not bad. If you can find a good vanilla powder or extract that is compliant, that would be good too.

Archived