Newbie on Day 14 - T2 diabetic

RodeyGal

Hi there,

My niece and sister-in-law have been doing Whole30 since January 2018. They have had such excellent results I just had to join them - and I am feeling great! We are all having fun following recipes and cooking together. :)  

I used to try to 'diet' to help my T2 diabetic numbers and lose a little weight but I would get a day or two into it and revert to junk trying to feed a need of which I was not aware... (I believe it was stress from caring for several terminally ill family members - and my job - and not taking any time for self-care.) With Whole30, I'm finding that there is just so much support, positive stories and resources, I can browse the website for info and stress is relieved and resolve is renewed!

I am having one reaction that un-nerved me a little and I thought I'd ask about it here. My eyes. I have worn glasses for the past several years for distance. On Whole30 day 8 I found I was watching TV without them - and since then I don't need to wear them while driving... I am actually astounded at how good my distance vision is... (still wearing readers, tho - just turned 50). Has anyone else noticed vision changes like this? I DO have an appointment with my eye doctor on Monday - just to be sure I have not gained bionic vision for any other reasons...

RodeyGal

• Administrators

Ya, you can have a quick google and you'll find other threads talking about improved vision including one which the woman's hubby is an opthamologist if I recall correctly. Basically inflammation is everywhere and if you are experiencing systemic inflammation it can affect the structures in your eyes. Remove inflammation and in some few cases, resolve some portion of vision issues. Fun!

OK, I had the relationship wrong and the exact explanation wrong (well done, Shanny!) but I knew I remembered there was something: 

• Moderators

I'd also say that one thing diabetes can affect is your vision. I'm not sure that's something that gets discussed much, but a friend of mine is diabetic and a visual artist, and one of the things that really finally inspired her to work on getting her blood sugar under control is that her eye doctor explained that the constant blood sugar highs cause pressure in the eye, and that while it can be corrected if taken care of early, if left untreated can cause permanent damage and even blindness. I don't remember the exact science of it, but I bet if you google diabetes and eyesight, or blood sugar and eyesight, you could find more about it.

Archived