Starting on 3.19.2018 Is Anyone else?

Lexdemedici

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JanineCammarata that fish & veggie dinner looks fantastic! I love fish, but am kind of intimidated when it comes to cooking it. I eat a lot of canned salmon and sardines, but I will try cooking some greasy fish next week - thanks for the inspiration!

Just finished day 4 here. I’ve been eating somewhat repetitively, but I don’t mind I love leftovers because they save so much time!

Breakfast: 2 prosciutto egg cups

Lunch: same as yesterday: chicken drumsticks with homemade mayo, salad, avocado 

Snack: kombucha

Dinner: same as yesterday, LOL! Leftover beef curry. I put it over raw spinach and had lots of fresh basil and cilantro. Yum!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Annika said:

Um, that would be FRESH fish, not greasy fish (thanks, autocorrect). Why can’t I find the edit button? :huh:

You have a little while to edit a post -- about 15 minutes, I think -- and then it is no longer editable.

Hello!

Is anyone having headaches as a likely symptom of withdrawals? I've had  a fairly difficult time focusing today because of it and was wondering if any of you all  have found  a solution/remedy? (or do you think it is something that will diminish as the month goes on?) 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Viki A. said:

Hello!

Is anyone having headaches as a likely symptom of withdrawals? I've had  a fairly difficult time focusing today because of it and was wondering if any of you all  have found  a solution/remedy? (or do you think it is something that will diminish as the month goes on?) 

Headaches in the first few days are not uncommon, especially if this is a big change, and especially if you're having less caffeine than usual which happens for a lot of people. They will probably go away in a few days, but in the meantime, be sure you're eating plenty of food (you can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/), salt your food enough so that it tastes good, and drink lots of water (aim for 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz of water). 

5 minutes ago, Viki A. said:

Hello!

Headaches are a pretty common symptom of the "carb flu" which is so named because you can get flu like symptoms from an electrolyte imbalance. Basically, carbs require your body to hold onto water for use, and when you substantially lower your carb intake your body flushes all that water out, and with it a lot of electrolytes. 

I'vedone the ketogenic diet before, and most people get the carb flu at least the first couple days until your body adjusts / adapts. There are a couple ways to minimize it:

1. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. You're likely a little dehydrated.

2. Drinking broth (or eating broth based soup) of any kind will help add more electrolytes into your diet and can help. The best kind is bone broth because it'll have more potassium and magnesium than chicken or beef stock.

3. You can use supplements, and if you go this route you want to focus on potassium and magnesium. Be warned that magnesium is a natural laxative! I'm usually ok with 200 mg, but much over that can have some adverse effects.

4. Adding fancier salts (Himalayan sea salt being in vogue right now) will help with trace minerals, too. Plus, your diet may be really low in actual sodium depending on what you're eating and where you're coming from!

5. Make sure you're eating enough fat! Low energy because you're not eating enough will only add onto your carb flu symptoms and make you feel worse!

I hope some or all of these help! I personally had the best result with drinking water and adding some extra salt and supplements, but not all supplements are compliant, and you'll hopefully be through the worst of it by the time you figure out the best way to supplement for your body.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/

1 hour ago, JanineCammarata said:

@Annika I used flounder. It was very easy and fast. My trouble today and will be tomorrow is having meeting all day. Hard to plan around that. Plus my husband is doing it with me and he's starving. Any ideas for snacks?

I almost always keep a couple hard boiled eggs on hand at home or at work for a snack. The protein and fat works well for me. I also keep cashews, pistachios, almonds and some Epic jerky bites or bars around the office, just in case. Nuts aren't the best option, but I can get them at the mini mart at work, they last pretty well and they're better than Snickers :)

You should also look at his meals, and try increasing his food. If he's eating one portion of protein at each meal, make it one and a half or two. Add some more healthy fats. It takes trial and error to figure out how much you or he needs to eat to fuel your body.

I've been exhausted the last couple days. Getting a decent amount of sleep (7.5-8 hours) that I normally feel fine with, but I've almost fallen asleep in several meetings, and I long to spend my lunch hour napping in my car. Not sure if it's whole 30 related or just due to the really high levels of stress I'm dealing with at work right now. Or I guess it could be the tail end of the jet lag!

Yay day 5! Looking forward to a great weekend!

Sierra

I had about 10 hours of sleep last night and I'm still exhausted! Tried working out and feel low energy. This morning I ate, but don't think I got enough calories. Eggs with spinach using coconut oil, nitrate free turkey bacon, melon and blueberry salad. 

Hoping next week I will feel a bit better. I marked my calendar for the end date and reintroductions just to give me motivation!

Two days in a row of successes. Friday my boss called an impromptu office "wine and cheese party" to say goodbye to a coworker who's leaving next week. I sat there for two hours (!) and didn't feel tempted to join in the wine or cheese. I had some black olives left over from lunch that I munched on along with my water bottle.

Tonight I braved eating out! I live in Italy, and rarely are menus available ahead of time. Additionally, I don't speak Italian well enough to ask tons of questions, and the chefs are much less amenable to lots of changes. They consider changes to their food unacceptable because they don't want to put their "stamp of approval" on something they don't think is top quality. So I was nervous. We met a at a bar, and I stuck with fizzy water and lemon. They we went to get sushi for dinner. I wasn't sure what had soy in it as far as seaweed salad, etc, so I just stuck with plain sashimi. It was just salmon and tuna, nothing added, so nowhere for those sneaky ingredients to hide!

How's everyone else doing?

Sierra

I felt really good today. I'm not sure if I'm eating too much. I don't usually eat as much protein as I have. I only eat fish and eggs, but it's still a lot at every meal. My husband is always hungry, so I'm giving him a bit more per meal. 

I haven't had cravings, but still get a headache after working out. I feel good about what I've been eating and will keep going!

Things have been going great! I’ve had good energy, good moods, good sleep, and cravings have been very manageable. One exciting moment: I have a self-imposed ban on almond butter (unless it’s an ingredient in something else) because it’s such a food-with-no-brakes for me. I was making a sauce with almond butter for dinner tomorrow, and decided it would be ok to lick the spoon. Whoa - it was AMAZING, felt like hitting a crack pipe. Huge rush of dopamine, I guess? Anyway, I licked the spoon clean, but did not get another bite from the almond butter jar. Normally I would have a few bites, so I call that a win!

Had a compliant Easter, but have to say I am not feeling well. I have no energy and my joints ache. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I really don't feel a difference in my body and have stuck to the plan. 

One thing I need to do is get my meals planned this week, work on the portions and stick with the formula.

Also my lips have been incredibly dry, cracked, and itchy!

Anyone else feeling this way?

I’m new to this conversation but have been doing Whole 30 since March 22. It’s gone well and I’m still compliant, but I’m in a slump. Feeling more sleepy than I should be for getting pretty good sleep and suddenly missing sugar treats more than I did previously. In terms of “hardest days” I’m about where the book says I should be, but I’m hoping it passes soon. No aching joints but no big changes in how my body feels either. 

@Ellenelle I have only a week and a half left and am finally feeling better. I drink Rooibos tea to help with the sugar cravings. It's amazing. Being a vegetarian, I had to add some hummus and beans back into my diet. I was not feeling well at all. Finally noticing a difference in my body and energy. Stick with it!

Hi - I started Whole30 on 3/19 and although I suffered a bit of "carb flu" at the beginning I'm actually pretty impressed with the results so far.  I stay pretty active at the gym and doing yoga - and about four months ago developed a pain in my hip that I just assumed was a pulled ligament.  I've seriously been in pain doing certain yoga poses for four months - and three days ago the pain disappeared!!!!  How is this possible?  I'm blown away thinking it could possibly have been food issues all along that were causing me to keep from healing properly.

Excited to reap other benefits over the next two weeks, but if the only thing that comes out of this is getting rid of that chronic pain it was TOTALLY worth giving up my Starbucks lattes and passing on the cheese plate for a month!

@JanineCammarata Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm still going. Hit day 16 yesterday and suddenly felt back on track again, just as the book predicted. I also revised my eating a bit. I had started using nuts plus fruit as a sort of snack crutch, and it was beginning to feel like a craving. From reading some other threads in the forum I learned to increase the protein in my meals so that I wouldn't get snack hungry. I started putting that into practice yesterday and was pleased with the results.

@mebl1970 Fantastic news about the hip pain! I've had slight pain in my left hip for many years, which I've concluded is probably arthritis, but I'm curious to see if it improves with Whole 30. It doesn't affect my ability to do yoga, and I think the yoga helps it. So does a supplement called astaxanthin.

I am also jumping on this thread. I started on 3/18. It's going fairly well but it's getting harder now. I'm struggling at the end of dinner to stop eating and "close the kitchen." I welcome any suggestions. 

Archived