Ideas for 12 hour shift days???

AnnaH

Hello - 

I started nursing school with a Whole30 and I'd like to finish nursing school with a Whole30. Why? My first one was to ensure my head was clear of all fog while I was learning all of this amazing information. This one? My sugar dragon reared its ugly head, and my bad habit of using sugary treats as a coping mechanism has crept back in. Not cool. 

I am aiming for an April 2nd start date, and will average 4 - 12 hour shifts each week (one day as a CNA, three days as a Student RN). In my previous life, I worked 5-8's and managing the dinner timing was much easier. Right now I do not get home until 8 and have to immediately shower the hospital off of me, which has me eating dinner closer to 8:30 and then crawling in bed at 9. This is NOT ideal, because eating this late makes it hard to eat breakfast within the first hour of waking the following day, and by hard I mean I can't. And by can't, I mean my gag reflex engages, and I struggled to even choke down 1/2 my breakfast, and then I am starving by mid-morning. Currently, on days I work I am up at 5am, and eat closer to 6:30/6:45 once I get to work.  This seems to work, as I sip on coffee with the Vital Proteins Collagen Powder during my drive to work. This usually carries me pretty far into the morning. So while it's not within the first hour, it seems to work. But, I digress, back to dinner... I have attempted doing the Mason Jar salads for dinner, as they don't give me that same overly full can't eat in the am feeling. BUT my problem is that eating too many salads actually makes me feel like I am on a diet, and that makes me crabby. 

Here is my go to Mason Jar Salad (adjusting for Whole30 obviously) https://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/01/10/greek-chicken-mason-jar-salad/

But I just don't want 16 of my 30 dinners to be this salad! So to all of you Whole30 alums and long shift workers, do you have any ideas? 

Thanks! 

Crock pot so you have a hot meal waiting for you when you get home, plus leftovers to bring for lunch the next day.  If you have one that switched to "warm" after a set amount of time, that will help the stuff from getting cooked to death.

Hi, 

I'm working 12 hour shifts and just started my whole 30. I'm struggling the same way you are. Atleast you get to eat breakfast, I don't get to it untill 1000 which I know is so bad. As far as dinner, i started packing 2 lunches for work so I have my lunch and then dinner at work but there have been days when I came home and was hungry again so i in turn had 4 meals/day. 

Kirkor - thanks for the suggestion of the slow cooker. I will be 100% honest, I am not looking to cook anything on the days I work. Due to the shift hours, travel, and a quick shower I barely have enough time to honor my goal of 8 hours of sleep. Anyone who has done a Whole30 knows extra dirty dishes are a must and I try to avoid them on long days - its just not worth the trade off of less sleep. I guess I was hoping more for suggestions on meals that people like that they found not to be overly heavy, are full of nutrients, and can be made ahead of time. 

Dj_tasha - I like the suggestion of bringing your meal with you. I might have to give that a while and hope I can sneak away long enough to eat dinner. 

If your question has to do with meal prep ideas and nothing particularly to do with the 12 hour schedule, have you googled something like whole 30 meal prep?

Lots of people pick out recipes they like, make them when they have time, and portion them out for the week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, AnnaH said:

Hello - 

I started nursing school with a Whole30 and I'd like to finish nursing school with a Whole30. Why? My first one was to ensure my head was clear of all fog while I was learning all of this amazing information. This one? My sugar dragon reared its ugly head, and my bad habit of using sugary treats as a coping mechanism has crept back in. Not cool. 

I am aiming for an April 2nd start date, and will average 4 - 12 hour shifts each week (one day as a CNA, three days as a Student RN). In my previous life, I worked 5-8's and managing the dinner timing was much easier. Right now I do not get home until 8 and have to immediately shower the hospital off of me, which has me eating dinner closer to 8:30 and then crawling in bed at 9. This is NOT ideal, because eating this late makes it hard to eat breakfast within the first hour of waking the following day, and by hard I mean I can't. And by can't, I mean my gag reflex engages, and I struggled to even choke down 1/2 my breakfast, and then I am starving by mid-morning. Currently, on days I work I am up at 5am, and eat closer to 6:30/6:45 once I get to work.  This seems to work, as I sip on coffee with the Vital Proteins Collagen Powder during my drive to work. This usually carries me pretty far into the morning. So while it's not within the first hour, it seems to work. But, I digress, back to dinner... I have attempted doing the Mason Jar salads for dinner, as they don't give me that same overly full can't eat in the am feeling. BUT my problem is that eating too many salads actually makes me feel like I am on a diet, and that makes me crabby. 

Here is my go to Mason Jar Salad (adjusting for Whole30 obviously) https://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/01/10/greek-chicken-mason-jar-salad/

But I just don't want 16 of my 30 dinners to be this salad! So to all of you Whole30 alums and long shift workers, do you have any ideas? 

Thanks! 

I work 12 hour shifts too, and I FINALLY found a system that works for me.  Hopefully it will work for you as well...  Just to make this easier, lets say I have Friday-Sunday off.  On Friday night, I will make a LARGE dinner, large enough for 4+ left over servings (depending on if you're just feeding yourself or family).  Saturday and Sunday I do the same.  Also on Sunday, I will throw things together in a crock-pot that I will take out of the fridge on Monday morning, and just push Start.  On one of my days off (Usually Saturday, to spread things out), I make a massive breakfast casserole of some kind, that will give me enough servings to get me through the week.  I found that they heat up very well!  So I'm really only cooking 3 dinners and 1 big breakfast casserole, plus chucking stuff into a crock-pot.  Some people do all their prep in one day, but that overwhelms me.  I found that this broke things up nicely.  Its not hard to make bigger portions of the same meal.  Through out the week, I will circulate my leftovers like so:

Monday Morning: Breakfast casserole leftovers
Monday Lunch: Leftovers from Friday's dinner
Monday Dinner: Crock-pot

Tuesday Morning: Breakfast casserole leftovers
Tuesday Lunch: Leftovers from Saturday's dinner
Tuesday Dinner: Leftovers from Sunday's dinner

Wednesday Morning: Breakfast casserole leftovers
Wednesday Lunch: Leftovers from Monday's crock-pot
Wednesday Dinner: Leftovers from Friday's dinner

Thursday Morning: Breakfast casserole leftovers
Thursday Lunch: Leftovers from Saturday's dinner
Thursday Dinner: Leftovers from Sunday's dinner

And over my days off, I will finish up any extra leftovers, and make whatever I feel like for breakfast.

Archived