Scratchy throat and coconut milk

I’ve been having a scratchy, sometimes itchy, throat on and off since starting my Whole30. (I’m on day 26.)  I’m starting to wonder if it is being caused by the coconut milk/ oil/aminos. Anyone else notice after using coconut products?  

• Moderators

This sounds like a possible allergic reaction -- if you're pretty sure it's the coconut, cut out all coconut products, and talk to a doctor before you try them again. People can develop allergies to items even as adults, and allergic reactions can start off relatively mild, but get worse with no warning that they're going to get worse. It might be something else other than an allergic reaction, but it's not really worth risking it without getting a doctor's okay first, in my opinion.

I had egg cups that had coconut milk in them this morning with no problem but that was cooked. I’ll definitely watch over the weekend and see if goes away without using the coconut oil or coconut cream in coffee. 

I have had an itchy throat for food allergies and sensitivities. SO uncomfortable! Other than coconut, have you had other foods new to you or in greater quantity? I could eat some avocado, maybe 1/4, but if I eat it two or more days in a row I get itchy. 

for me, cooking most foods to which I’m sensitive (most things with seeds) and buying organic for those items in particular has helped greatly. Cooking denatures whatever I’m reacting to in apples, peaches, nectarines, etc.  

It took a long time to narrow down my issues so if it isn’t coconut I would suggest logging meals carefully to see what else it could be. Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I get a scratchy throat from coconut oil! Years ago my doctor told me to take some therapeutically for my eczema. One day I took too much accidentally and got sick. Since then, coconut oil (especially raw) would immediately give me a scratchy throat. Interestingly, coconut butter doesn't (so I switched to this and it totally cleared my eczema). And often, I can get away with drinking coconut milk and it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it does. I think it's probably a sensitivity, but I've wondered if it could also be a candida reaction (not sure if it would happen that fast) since it is so strongly anti-fungal/bacterial/etc.

Archived