bdk14

Starting March 19th! Newbie :) Any Buddies??

I feel really confident that I can do this, it's just a matter of getting everything planned out! Eeeeek! Any suggestions? I'm pretty excited!

Also, I'm a vegetarian, so if any fellow veggies would like to team up please let me know! :) 

I'm a first timer starting on Monday as well!  I'm here for all of it!  Gonna doing some fridge cleaning and grocery shopping and meal prepping today and tomorrow.  

I'm starting on Tuesday March 20th.  I'm nervous and excited.  I am turning 60 in June and want to be my very best going into this next decade.  I would like a buddy!  Sorry, I'm not vegetarian.

20 hours ago, Stacy Elizabeth said:

I'm starting on Tuesday March 20th.  I'm nervous and excited.  I am turning 60 in June and want to be my very best going into this next decade.  I would like a buddy!  Sorry, I'm not vegetarian.

20 hours ago, Stacy Elizabeth said:

Hi Stacey ....would love to be your buddy !!

I'm 56 this year and need to start to eat far better than I've have been doing recently so I'm giving the whole 30 ago.

Never done this before so like you excited and Nervous!! 

Im starting tomorrow have been sorting my cupboards out today going for my big shop in the morning !! 

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! I'm starting tomorrow as well. I grocery shopped yesterday and meal prepped today, so at least the first week is in the bag :)  I'm following Mel Joulwan's "food plan" this week (http://meljoulwan.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/) because I know that I don't like being told exactly what to eat when. I prefer choices!  I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm always interested in meat-free meals. I'd love to have a buddy!

Edited because I forgot my main point:  I'm sick and tired of not being in control of my eating! I'd like to be able to say no to unhealthy foods when I'm stressed, down, or angry.  My goal for this whole30 is to learn how my body responds to good healthy foods, and then figure out which foods are adding to my stress.

Edited by Roonster
Forgot one thing...

Hi Roonster

You so sound just like me !! I also have been not in control of my eating and just seem to be so good for a few days and then eat everything which is bad then I have all the guilt which is so not worth it in the first place !!

thankyou for the link taking a look now !

good luck for tomorrow ...we can do this !!!

Diane x

Starting the 19th and pretty nervous. I'm not a vegetarian, but I would love a buddy or buddies! Tried this twice before and didn't make it, but I never reached out to others for help and support along the way. Hoping we can all help each other out over the next 30 days!

Hello to all of you,

I am now starting on Wednesday 3/21, and tomorrow I will be getting some meals together for the first few days.  I am so nervous that I won't be able to do it, but I am turning 60 in June and refuse to do it with all this new extra 20 lbs.  So here we go.  I  will be interested to hear how all of you have done during your first few days.  I'm reading the Whole 30 Book now....

On 3/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, Di Di said:

Hi Stacey ....would love to be your buddy !!

I'm 56 this year and need to start to eat far better than I've have been doing recently so I'm giving the whole 30 ago.

Never done this before so like you excited and Nervous!! 

Im starting tomorrow have been sorting my cupboards out today going for my big shop in the morning !! 

Thanks, Di Di! Let me know how you are doing.

How's everyone doing? Day 1 went pretty smoothly for me. Having everything prepped is key! I am noticing that I feel a lot hungrier than normal, even though my meals seem huge!

Sierra

Day two done ✅ planing in certainly the key .

ive made the mayonnaise and tomato ketchup this morning and all good ....love tuna with mayo on my salad !! 

Breakfast is not good for me as I so love a smoothie, juice or oatmeal ...can see me getting fed up of eggs and eating leftover dinners ..

What are you guys having ??

Feeling fuller no cravings as yet ....little headache this afternoon but soon went any drinking more water.

Di Di x

Day 2 complete here! I think I ate more than yesterday, because I worked out in the morning and tried to get in a pre and post workout mini meal. I split my breakfast into two parts, but the more I read about eating to workout, the more I start to think it may be unnecessary as long as I get some protein in right after I workout.

4 hours ago, Di Di said:

Breakfast is not good for me as I so love a smoothie, juice or oatmeal ...can see me getting fed up of eggs and eating leftover dinners ..

What are you guys having ??

Di Di, eating leftover dinner is totally fine. I'm the opposite of you in that I've never really liked breakfast foods other than eggs, so this is easy for me. I've been eating zucchini soup and hard boiled eggs for breakfast (seperatly). I like the soup because it's warming like a hot beverage, but not super filling since I'm usually not very hungry at breakfast time.

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sweet-potato-apple-breakfast-bake-paleo-whole30/

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/apple-cinnamon-paleo-hot-cereal-whole30/

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/zucchini-sweet-potato-latkes-2/

http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2013/09/16/yam-celery-root-bacon-hash/

I found those recipes online after searching some breakfast options. There are tons of breakfast options, but I'd be cautious about trying to hard to replace your previous fruit / smoothie / hot cereal as it may be SWYPO for you. A lot of the recipes I read through also weren't compliant, so read read read!

Good luck!

Sierra

The last two days I've been exhausted! I've gotten over 8 hours of sleep both nights and still wake up feeling like I need a nap. I think it doesn't help that I'm sitting through a necessary but boring training program this week at work, so I notice how tired I am.

How is everyone else doing?

Two days in a row of successes. Friday my boss called an impromptu office "wine and cheese party" to say goodbye to a coworker who's leaving next week. I sat there for two hours (!) and didn't feel tempted to join in the wine or cheese. I had some black olives left over from lunch that I munched on along with my water bottle.

Tonight I braved eating out! I live in Italy, and rarely are menus available ahead of time. Additionally, I don't speak Italian well enough to ask tons of questions, and the chefs are much less amenable to lots of changes. They consider changes to their food unacceptable because they don't want to put their "stamp of approval" on something they don't think is top quality. So I was nervous. We met a at a bar, and I stuck with fizzy water and lemon. They we went to get sushi for dinner. I wasn't sure what had soy in it as far as seaweed salad, etc, so I just stuck with plain sashimi. It was just salmon and tuna, nothing added, so nowhere for those sneaky ingredients to hide!

How's everyone else doing?

Sierra

Hi Sierra, Di Di, and other New Kids!

Great job navigating those 2 parties, especially in Italy!!

I am on Day 5.  I have a bad knee and spent the day yesterday watching the March for Our Lives on TV and was so upset to hear these kids' stories.  As a former teacher I wanted to be able to march and couldn't.  There were so many sad and angry feelings to deal with yesterday!  I wanted a cigarette.  I wanted a glass (or bottle) of wine!  Anything to stop feeling so sad.  

But I got through the day, probably eating too many almonds and blueberries, but I did it.  It was very interesting to watch how I was trying to stuff down those feelings by putting things in my mouth.

I have to say that I am feeling good today and the Whole 30 book, which I got from the library, has been very helpful.  It's good to know that some of these feelings are normal and natural and will pass.

One of the most helpful foods has been the homemade mayo.  I don't normally eat mayo, but this is very good and can become avocado dressing very easily.  That creamy flavor helps to replace the melted cheese that I am missing.

I am definitely taking this day by day.  I have 20 lbs to lose before I turn 60 in June.  I am very motivated.  I remind myself it's only 30 days.  

The only difference that I can see is that maybe my face looks a little thinner!  I'll take it!

How is everyone else doing?

Best to all,

Stacy

If you started on the 19th, it's day ten! The Whole30 day by day book says that today and tomorrow are the most common days for people to quit. It's a shame because Melissa says we haven't even gotten to feel our best yet. So if you're struggling today or tomorrow, I'm here with you! Let's get through it so we can get to the life-changing part!

Love,

Laura

Hi Laura,

I started the 21st, so tomorrow will be day 8 for me.  I've had some ups and downs, but so far I'm doing it.  Can't wait to see what day 30 brings.  I was just reading more carefully through the testimonials and they are very inspiring.

I wish you good luck thru the next couple of days.  Let us know how you're faring!

Stacy

Hello all, happy Easter! I hope everyone is doing well :)

I'm doing and feeling well. In the past two weeks I've (finally!) come up with my goals for this process. And I'm glad I did, because this post is putting them to the test.

Today I ate non-compliantly. I refuse to call it a failure. Instead, I will say "life happens." I went to Easter dinner with my friend who is a Nigerian priest. He invited me to a Nigerian Easter celebration, and they offered me food which was delicious, and (unfortunately) non-compliant. The three things I know I ate were lentils (in a sauce served over casava or tarro root), peanut butter (a sauce on a kola nut, used to welcome guests) and wine.

What am I going to do? Well, since one of my main goals is to gain a better relationship with food, I am going to continue, because I decided before I went that I did not want to pass on this experience. However, I am going to extend my whole30 to a whole45 because I know that I need the 30 days in order to get the elimination effects.

I'll still be on this trip, and I hope all you all are as well. If you want all the juicy deets, you can read about it in my whole30 log linked in my signature.

Buona Pasqua!

Sierra