most important supplements?

brent83

I currently take 5000 IU of Vit. D daily (in the winter in Seattle), and usually cut back to every other day in the summer. Is that too much? Should I modify dosage based on seasons/weather like I'm doing?

Also, what is the most popular brand of fish oil out there and about how much should I take a day? Do I cut back on days I dont' eat fish or not have any at all?

I'm trying to be economical so I might just stick with these two supplements for the time being (I know many recommend probiotics, magnesium, digestive enzymes, etc). Would you consider Vit. D and fish oil the most important supplements the majority of people need?

thanks guys

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but those are the two supplements that I consider to be the most important. I also take 5000 of D3 and I use the fish oil that Whole 9 promote (Stronger Faster Healthier). I work out a lot so I also supplement with Magnesium otherwise I end up with muscle cramps. When I'm sick (very rare), I take Vit C and Zinc. I did a 2 month course of probiotics years ago when I first started out eating paleo, but now I just brew my own kombucha and eat sauerkraut :)

• Moderators

You are doing good with D3 and fish oil. And you are exactly right to take less D3 on days you get some time in the sun. Personally, I take 5000 IU on days I am inside and none on days I get some sun. My blood tests have shown that to be working for me. And you are right to skip fish oil when you are eating oily fish like salmon. In fact, if you don't eat bad foods, seed oils, etc., and eat a pound of salmon per week, you may be fine with no fish oil supplements. The Whole9 recommends the liquid fish oil from Stronger Faster Healthier. A sip a day should be enough.

For the Whole9 take on supplements, see these two articles...

http://whole9life.com/2010/08/whole9-supplement-evaluation-checklist/

http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/

Brent, my doc said most people that live North of San Francisco need vitamin D. I'm in Portland. My blood test showed I was very low. She said not to take it at all on days that I was in the sun for at least 20 minutes with short sleeves. A year later my numbers are perfect.

You are doing good with D3 and fish oil. And you are exactly right to take less D3 on days you get some time in the sun. Personally, I take 5000 IU on days I am inside and none on days I get some sun. My blood tests have shown that to be working for me. And you are right to skip fish oil when you are eating oily fish like salmon. In fact, if you don't eat bad foods, seed oils, etc., and eat a pound of salmon per week, you may be fine with no fish oil supplements. The Whole9 recommends the liquid fish oil from Stronger Faster Healthier. A sip a day should be enough.

For the Whole9 take on supplements, see these two articles...

http://whole9life.co...tion-checklist/

http://whole9life.co...ements-part-ii/

I assume you are referring to this specific fish oil:

http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/products/omega_3-oil/so3_super_omega-3_oil_10oz

Isn't that kind of pricey? If I take the recommended dosage from that page (1-2 tsp daily) I would go through a 10 oz. bottle in approx. 30 days (a little longer if I have fish approx. 2x/week)

Maybe $50/month though is the avg for a good kind? Trying to be somewhat economical so that is why I ask.

I might just buy it for a month and see. Are there really any tests I could take (my Vit. D levels are very low, which is why I go 5000IU/day in the winters and cloudy summers) to test if my omega-3 dosage is good?

Brent, my doc said most people that live North of San Francisco need vitamin D. I'm in Portland. My blood test showed I was very low. She said not to take it at all on days that I was in the sun for at least 20 minutes with short sleeves. A year later my numbers are perfect.

Yeah I was extremely low when I was checked a year ago. My doc had me on 10,000IU but only once a week!

Yeah I was extremely low when I was checked a year ago. My doc had me on 10,000IU but only once a week!

Some docs do it weekly, mine has me on 4,000IU/day. I'm so fair that I can't really get too much sun exposure, and I work indoors year-round.

D*Action is a resource for vitamin D testing if you can't get it done through your insurance. They also have a chart on the site that recommends different dosages depending on where you test and what you're shooting for.

Brent,

The Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil is pricey, but it's also very concentrated and the quality is very good (which is important when it comes to oil--you really don't want any rancid stuff). I tried the chocolate flavor and hated it. I love the lemon flavor. I never get any fishy burps or after taste.

Brent,

The Stronger Faster Healthier fish oil is pricey, but it's also very concentrated and the quality is very good (which is important when it comes to oil--you really don't want any rancid stuff). I tried the chocolate flavor and hated it. I love the lemon flavor. I never get any fishy burps or after taste.

good to know. thanks Lisa.

I currently take 5000 IU of Vit. D daily (in the winter in Seattle), and usually cut back to every other day in the summer. Is that too much? Should I modify dosage based on seasons/weather like I'm doing?

Also, what is the most popular brand of fish oil out there and about how much should I take a day? Do I cut back on days I dont' eat fish or not have any at all?

I'm trying to be economical so I might just stick with these two supplements for the time being (I know many recommend probiotics, magnesium, digestive enzymes, etc). Would you consider Vit. D and fish oil the most important supplements the majority of people need?

thanks guys

I would definitely consider Vitamin D3 an essential, if you do not spend much time in the sun. I read that your body makes around that with just 15 minutes of sun exposure. To know if I was getting too much D, I had my blood tested for VIT D 25OH. Kaiser states the acceptable range is 20-80 (whatever unit of measure). Last March test result showed 45. Since I had had an melanoma a year prior and read that Vit D can prevent cancer, I started taking 10,000/day. In July result showed 86 and my doc thought it was too high. So I dropped back to 5,000/day and in Dec my blood test showed 55. I recently read one doc claiming that he has never seen cancer in patients with VitD levels above 100, and 86 is far from being toxic. For me, I choose to be at the high end of VitD levels, so I have changed my intake to 5,000/day and 10,000 every other day. Mind you I'm not recommending what you should do. I am a study of one - me. Long story short, Yes. I think VitD3 is essential, along with all of the good foods recommended in ISWF. :)

2/9/13 - P.S. I don't have a source (darn) but I did read recently about a study of older folks, comparing taking Vit-D3 daily versus weekly. Those who took it daily gained more benefit. They got sick less than the group who took it only weekly!

A recent study (Sept 2012) on fish oil supplements looked at the results of 20 different previous clinical trials from various sources, involving 70,000 test subjects, and it was determined there was no significant link between deaths, sudden deaths, heart-related deaths, heart attacks, and strokes, in people who took fish oil supplements. I'm not a believer in fish oil supplements, but I am a believer in eating fish, and getting the Omega 3's in their natural form.

• 4 weeks later...

Further to my last post in which I was implying eating fish is superior to any fish oil supplementation, here's a systematic review that says fish consumption decreases cardiovascular risks, but fish oil supplements did not have a significant effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23112118

FYI: This study examines whether fish oil diminishes the incidents of cerebrovascular disease (i.e. stroke), not cardiovascular risks, like heart attacks.

My doctor prescribed fish oil for my autoimmune conditions. I buy Carlson's in the bottles because it is very high quality and the best bang for my buck. I take 2 TBS per day per my doctor's orders. Most folks do not need this much. Some folks can't handle drinking it. I have tried the lemon and the orange (flavors but not sugar at all - it tastes like they use essence). I like the lemon better. I would take their cod liver oil if I didn't have to take so much, because it also provides natural vitamin D. I order it from iherb.com because I know they keep it properly chilled.

• Moderators

The authors of The Perfect Health Diet 2nd edition (one of my favorite books) say not to take fish oil supplements. I was not absolutely convinced by their argument, but I do think eating fish is better than taking supplements. I showed being a little low on omega3s in my last blood test after I stopped taking supplements. I was not doing a good job of eating oily fish frequently. Now I am working to eat sardines, tuna, or salmon every other day and expect my next blood test will show me back in a good range.

@Tom, I never even knew that I liked sardines, until I read a blog by Melissa Joulwan where she suggested buying the boneless, skinless in pure olive oil. Oh my! I'd say it tastes like tuna, but it is much better than tuna! I found it at Trader Joe's, under their label for about $2.69 a can. It sure comes in handy.

I love my sardines with avocado and my homemade/fermented pink sauerkraut - yum!

Archived