Help with symptoms at the end of Whole30’

Hello fellow Whole30 followers. I am nearing the end of my first 30 days and the program has been very successful. I experienced the expected carb withdrawal symptoms early on but then felt fine. Five days ago I developed a headache. I am not given to headaches, haven’t had one in maybe 10 years. Sometimes it’s stronger than others but sometimes so bad it makes my eye droop and gives me blurred vision. I have always lived with low blood pressure but I stopped and checked it yesterday, 103/63, low but not unusual. I went and had a head/neck massage, wonderful but still had the headache. 

Remember, I have been doing this program successfully for 27 days so I’m eating the right things, enough of them and drinking my water. I need to add that I have also recently developed muscle weekness, especially in my legs.

I want to successfully go through the reintroduction period and continue to enjoy the new eating habits we’ve developed. I am not interested in ditching what I’ve accomplished but the headaches are effecting my work and quality of life. Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated.  

• Moderators

Are you salting your food? I don't know about the blurred vision, but low salt could cause headaches or muscle weakness.

For water, are you getting at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight (so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz)? 

If you're eating plenty of food, easily able to go 4-5 hours between meals, and you're salting your food and drinking plenty of water, you might want to check in with your doctor to rule out anything non-food-related. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer me Shannon. With the years of hypotension I’ve allowed myself to become a bit overindulgent with the salt shaker. 

The water might be an issue. I have really tried to bump up my water, knowing that it could be an issue but according to your formula I need 10 glasses or 5 bottles! Yeah, I’m not doing that, but I’ll really try. 

Thanks again. 

Archived