J.D.

Vegetarian Protein Deficiency

Hello,  Have been on Whole30 program since March 6th (had to restart when i realized I accidently had been eating something with sugar).  I'm a vegetarian who will not eat any animals or fish.  Eggs have been my main source of protein but I'm only getting 10% of what I need per medical guidelines.  I've googled and found conflicting advice whether tofu or yogurt is allowed.  Can someone pls. definitively confirm and/or give me alternatives?  I don't want to go off the program.  I've been doing really well and have never had a problem with cravings or temptations to eat non-compliant foods but have found myself getting more and more fatigued...  Thanks!

What we generally tell vegetarians is that if you can complete the Whole30 eating just eggs, not incorporating yogurt or tofu or other items that would normally be off-plan, we believe you'll get the best results, and then be able to do reintroductions to see how legumes or dairy affect you. Remember that a serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand -- for me that's 3-4 and I'm a 5'4" female with average sized hands. (Here's some previous discussion: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/

If you cannot get enough protein from eggs, you can decide to add other sources if you need to. Still follow the rest of the rules -- you still can't have sweetened yogurt, you still want everything else to be compliant.