4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

1 hour ago, mirjam. said:

Hello, 
day 3 started with my measurements  that I couldn't take before starting because I was traveling. I compared them to those I took a year ago before starting low-carb. I lost a few centimeteres on my belly, hips and waist and from March 2017 to July 2017 4 kg, but I'm almost at the initial weight. This is so frustrating! So I skipped breakfast.  Intermittent fasting was working well for me, especially when I had to stop all my cardio due to a foot injury. I am slowly starting to work-out again, but won't be running any time soon.
Is anybody else coming to W30 from a low-carb (Gary Taubes, Tim Noakes, New Aktins, Wheat Belly) approach? I have a hard time letting high-carb veggies (potatoes) and fruit back onto my plate. How are you managing?

At least the sun is out, so I'll do some yoga outside. That should cheer me up. 

I was doing a low-carb/keto before this round of Whole30. I'm trying to keep the carbs at dinner just a few times a week. I'm more interested in getting in more veggies without having to limit myself to only 30g of carbs. I don't want a lot of fruit because I can abuse them to satisfy my sweet tooth and I don't want to do that. I'm going to only do sweet potatoes at dinner a few times a week. I personally do well with less carbs but I'm doing this round of W30 more to force myself to stop getting foods that my body doesn't like (dairy/eggs) what are staples of keto and low carb protocols.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everybody! I missed you all yesterday! Didn’t have time to be on the internet at all! Yesterday was my first official big planning and shopping day for Whole30. Worked it before with items I had at home already that were Whole30 approved. So it was a big busy day!

Monday (Day1) I felt pretty sick from overindulging in the wrong foods on Easter. Day 2, yesterday, I felt much better, but did notice I felt a little cranky. Mostly, it’s all been good. Just takes me more time, planning, prepping...but hey, I’m in the learning stage.

i went to Trader Joe’s yesterday which was mostly great. I did double check and read labels even of Whole30 recommendation items by their site, and found several were non compliant. They probably were good before some Whole30 rules changed. I’m glad I allowed lots of extra time for label scrutiny. They were out of some other things, but mostly it was a very good experience with better prices than Health Food Stores. If you’ve not checked out Thrive, for specialty items at least, you are missing out. Great prices and introductory deals, great service, good selection, quality products. They even have a great app.

i have another busy day today but I’m going to try to catch up up on each and every one of your posts as I can. I so appreciate you all! 

Be encouraged, everyone! We’ve got this!!  xo Dianne

Welcome to Day 3... Or as my wife called Whole27. Yep countdown.... Nothing fancy last night for dinner. We were supposed to be traveling so we had planned a big salad to take along. The plans fell through, but we went with the chicken breast and salad anyway. We had cooked up the chicken breast the previous evening. Yesterday I spent part of my lunch checking out Whole Foods (we don't have a Trader Joe's nearby) searching for ingredients to make Ranch Dressing. I found some Coconut Milk and also an Whole30 approved Caesar dressing. Grabbed both, the plan is to try my luck with the Coconut milk over the weekend.

This morning was a little tough, struggled a bit towards the end on the treadmill (3 miles), but according to the timeline for Day 3-4, it's on the normal side. I'm sure the cold, damp winter like weather didn't help.

Found some recipe's for the cod to try for this evening, still not sure which direction we're going. Pasted the links below.

Good luck with Day 3 everybody!!!

http://realsimplegood.com/tomato-basil-cod-with-asparagus/

https://paleoleap.com/seared-cod-fresh-herb-sauce/

13 hours ago, JodiLou said:

Done with day 2 successfully.  Realizing that this weekend (my birthday weekend) will be spent looking at recipes and new ideas  Having always been a bit fussy I tend to like what I like and not branch out much.  I do love meats and most vegetables and fruit so just revamping how to cook with them and approved additions will be good for me as I love to cook.

Questions:

How is everyone feeling?

Anyone else using the Day by Day Journal? Today said feeling tired and headache was normal. I definitely am not feeling super and feel like work is dragging . Not necessarily feeling hungry though.

Store bought ghee? I live in Mt. So my resources are limited but after reading about multiple attempts resulting in failure Im thinking I dont want to waste the money on Organic butter just to ruin it if I can buy it.  Anyone else use store bought?

Hope everyone's two days have been good.:rolleyes:

Hi @JodiLou, Thank you for the reminder on the day to day Journal. I started it today (day 3), with a quick fill in for the first two days. No headache's, just a bit tired this morning. Good Luck!

On 3/23/2018 at 4:33 PM, Hope4Overcomers said:

Yay TamMarie! So this won’t be your first time?? 

This will be my 5th whole 30.  I started this last April.  My husband and I did April, July, October (didn't make it through the month).  And we just did January.  I am amazed at the changed in my body and mind since I found this program!

Day 3 and I'm doing okay.  I cooked up a big skillet hash for dinner and it was tasty and filling.  Lunch was leftover soup from last night's dinner.  

My boys had some Sprite this afternoon and WOW did I want some!  It was soooooooo tempting.  But I resisted and day 3 is in the bag.

Successful day three. Yesterday’s horribly ugly mood is long gone and I’m feeling much better. 

I finally got around to making the white chicken chili recipe tonight. It’s in the crockpot right now and my kitchen will smell heavenly by breakfast time. 

Also, stopped by Trader Joe’s this evening and picked up some frozen cauliflower rice. Grabbed an extra jar of ghee so I won’t run out, plus some lovely frozen cod for a later date.  I didn’t stay long, though. Way too many goodies in that store.

Good luck to everyone! Eat Well! 

Day 3 went well for me! I did feel a little hungry throughout the day but I woke up earlier and with more energy than the first 2 days so that’s huge for me. 

I may feel hungry because I’m starting the day off with coffee and coffee usually makes me shaky. I’m not sure. So tomorrow I won’t drink any and see what happens!

Hi folks! So glad to see all y'all here fighting the good fight -- for health, slaying the sugar dragon, etc. -- and encouraging with tips and support. Thank you! Day 4 for me and I'm definitely missing the quick energy from all the simple carbs I was running on, so feeling fatigued and cranky again today. Slaying the sugar dragon is scary and annoyingly difficult, but I think the beauty of Whole30 is the clear-cut hard line rules: no sugar, no junk carbs. Easier to have none at all than a little, followed by a daylong struggle to resist, then a frustrating downward spiral to the bottom of the cookie jar. Day 4: I'm tired but hoping my body will catch up soon and start burning fat for fuel, so I can get back to *enjoying* my early morning runs.  Hang in there everybody and keep it up!

Got through day 3. Had much more of a headache today than yesterday. I did go to the store though and bought some ingredients and made meatballs and marinara over sauteed zucchini for dinner. Was really good and I felt like I was eating a real meal versus meat and vegetables. I also made a whole 30 compliant batch of pork sausage breakfast patties in hopes that it will improve my breakfast experiences so that I am not forcing myself to eat and flushing it down with water. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. Going into the KATT days now hoping my family and friends still love me when they're done.;)

9 hours ago, suzannes said:

Hi folks! So glad to see all y'all here fighting the good fight -- for health, slaying the sugar dragon, etc. -- and encouraging with tips and support. Thank you! Day 4 for me and I'm definitely missing the quick energy from all the simple carbs I was running on, so feeling fatigued and cranky again today. Slaying the sugar dragon is scary and annoyingly difficult, but I think the beauty of Whole30 is the clear-cut hard line rules: no sugar, no junk carbs. Easier to have none at all than a little, followed by a daylong struggle to resist, then a frustrating downward spiral to the bottom of the cookie jar. Day 4: I'm tired but hoping my body will catch up soon and start burning fat for fuel, so I can get back to *enjoying* my early morning runs.  Hang in there everybody and keep it up!

Day 3 was also a struggle for me with regards to running. It felt like I hit a wall last night, but still managed to finish the Tempo run on the Treadmill. It was at a much lower speed and I lost about 1/2 mile in distance. Looking forward to burning fat for fuel. :) 

Super grumpy over here on the morning of Day 4... It seems “Kill All the Things” is fairly accurate... It doesn’t help that the baby is not sleeping well = I’m not sleeping well!! And I woke up with a terrible headache. But everyone says it gets better, right?? Already I’ve learned that mixed nuts are a food with no brakes for me, so best to not even have those around. I’m really missing sugar in my coffee and Diet Coke at lunch - so that’s a pretty clear sign I need to be rid of those. Being prepared with every meal has been a huge help in resisting temptation. As well as knowing all the money I’ve spent on food prep this week - yikes!!! No way am I throwing anything out!! And not going to the grocery store hungry!! I’ve never been big on breakfast, so I’m still trying to force that down when I’m much more tempted to just leave in the morning without it. I’m already thinking about Days 10-11 - “the hardest days” - and will be planning some meals I’m more excited about during those days, to hopefully keep the momentum going. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. Virtual high fives to everyone ;) 

Starting Day 3 and a little sluggish this AM.   Cravings are somewhat under control, but moody.  Hoping that the day gets better.  I'm afraid that if I close my eyes, that I may never get up.  Drinking lots of water with lemon which is helping!  Good day to all of you.....

I can't believe we are already on day 5! Well done everyone!

Feeling great food and sleepwise, but I had a pretty lackluster run this morning... 

@Dave K - I also lost about a half mile and my heart rate was up. I think I am a little dehydrated and I need to remember to drink more water throughout the day.

Whole30, day 4 almost done. This is not as difficult as I thought, but as I mentioned I've been mostly low carb for a year now, so the main thing I'm leaving out is cheese, my favorite snack and salad ingredient. 
Last night I had an egg and spinach frittata with smoked salmon and tonight zucchini noodles with bolognese meat sauce. My kryptonite still is almond butter (at least it's homemade) and almonds, macadamias and pecans. 
My issues seems to be that I eat too much of everything, even if it's low-carb, too much protein, cheese, too many nuts. So portion control and getting a feeling for how much is enough is going to be a big focus. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences

Mirjam

1 hour ago, dnewc said:

I can't believe we are already on day 5! Well done everyone!

Feeling great food and sleepwise, but I had a pretty lackluster run this morning... 

@Dave K - I also lost about a half mile and my heart rate was up. I think I am a little dehydrated and I need to remember to drink more water throughout the day.

Thank you for the sanity check @dnewc, my wife struggled on the elliptical as well, but she thought it was because she was dealing with a head cold. I think we found the culprit. :) Good luck!

Finishing up day 4, and learning new things about myself, which is always exciting and terrible. Exciting, because I like self improvement, but terrible because then I have to do something about it! Today I realized that I eat emotionally in the afternoon at work when I've been busy all day, I'm a little stressed, and I know I'm going to be working late. Around 330 or 400 PM, boom, the craving hits. Really what it is, I think, is my brain telling me it's tired and ready to go home. Not sure what to do about this, though, since going home isn't an option, and I don't want to just sub in tea or coffee. Seems like that's replacing a bad habit with a slightly less bad habit, but I'm not really changing the habit...  Not really noticing any bad symptoms except for slow and hard workouts @Dave K and @dnewc. I had a sprint workout on Wednesday where I struggled for the whole second half to jog out the sprint sessions because my legs were just... so... TIRED. I decided to take my rest day today, because I haven't been able to sleep much (not helping), and I have a lift scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to my workout and Friday!

3 hours ago, mirjam. said:

My issues seems to be that I eat too much of everything, even if it's low-carb, too much protein, cheese, too many nuts. So portion control and getting a feeling for how much is enough is going to be a big focus. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

@mirjam.I do the same thing! Portion control is huge for me and always has been. I have a quote in my food log for this week: "If you're over weight, it's because you overeat." I've been trying to eat mindfully, but it's easy to just shovel it in and not even realize how much I've eaten. This week I'm trying to leave at least two bites of every dish at every meal. It's hard, because my parents always made us eat what we served ourselves, but it's helping me slow down and think a bit more!

@humanitysurveyif you're hungry, eat a snack! Just don't fall into the trap I do with emotional instead of hunger eating. I purposely take less delicious snacks to work with me because I'm very likely to snack in the afternoon if I have cashews or a larabar or something nutty or fruity, but I'm less likely to eat an egg and celery.

Second day 2 for me this month.  :wacko:  I have had an unfortunate situation prove to actually be an advantage this time around.  The body remembers BAD.  I can't eat well for a month, trail off slowly then lose my mind.  Unfortunately, this bad behavior has caused me to have high blood pressure and diabetes.  one decimal on the side of sugar.

SUGAR!!!!  AAAAAAAAARRRRRRG!  Such a beast.  

However, the positive side is I have been forced to eat better, so when I started this Whole, there was no hangover - the first second day or the second...uh...second day.  :D  Life is about to be really good.  This month REALLY IS the first month of the rest of my life.  I get off of the train early and walk to 2 miles to my job, and I walk home from the train station instead of being picked up...since daylight came back:  March 12th.  The goal is to keep it up until daylight goes away again in November.   I am on my way W30ers!!!  Let's do this!!!

For lunch and dinner today I halved these huge chicken breasts my husband found me last night, did a bit of salt, egged them and dipped them in coconut flour.  Baked them up.  They were a bit dry... ( I usually put yellow mustard on them,  then dip in the coconut flour and bake in the air fryer.  Yuuuuuummmm).  It was okay...just put mustard on top.  :)  Had that along with cubed potatoes sautéed along with diced onion and green pepper (bell).  I'm full...it was good...we're doing the thing...it's a happy night!  

I will plan to have a chicken salad tomorrow.  Like someone mentioned, a meal is a meal.  I love that.  Fuel is fuel...no labels!

I've read through some of the previous thread...this is a mighty encouraging group!!  How heartwarming!!!  Peace to you all this evening!  Eat well!

Day four was awful. My final day at work this week was difficult and tomorrow is my birthday. I just wanted to come home and have a glass of wine and eat some pizza. It definitely has been the worst day for cravings. And even though I I'm full and ate a good quality Whole30 dinner I still feel like I could eat a large popcorn and a large pizza and wash it down with a bunch of Sour Patch Kids and a big old glass of wine. That might be a little extreme but right now it really all sounds amazing. Clearly it is very difficult to break habits like end of the week celebrations.:huh: I have gone to bed to keep myself away from the food and I'm laying here watching TV and reading everyone's posts from today. Always reassuring to know that I am not alone.

You are so NOT alone.  It never ceases to amaze me the grip that something that is MOSTLY supposed to supply us with fuel has on us.  It is sooooo psychological.  if I'm full, why do I want PIZZA???  Granted, food is pleasurable.  But yea, the pleasure knob is turned all the way up.  No worries.  All that you feel is quite normal, and will get better.  WE are the animate objects.  Food does what WE TELL IT TO DO!  ;)  If you have not looked at the timeline, I would suggest that you do.  Quite spot on, and absolutely entertaining!!  Up from HERE!!  B)

Archived