4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

12 minutes ago, JodiLou said:

Day four was awful. My final day at work this week was difficult and tomorrow is my birthday. I just wanted to come home and have a glass of wine and eat some pizza. It definitely has been the worst day for cravings. And even though I I'm full and ate a good quality Whole30 dinner I still feel like I could eat a large popcorn and a large pizza and wash it down with a bunch of Sour Patch Kids and a big old glass of wine. That might be a little extreme but right now it really all sounds amazing. Clearly it is very difficult to break habits like end of the week celebrations.:huh: I have gone to bed to keep myself away from the food and I'm laying here watching TV and reading everyone's posts from today. Always reassuring to know that I am not alone.

Happy Birthday!! We’re trying to find new things or alternate things to try to break habits. Seems like the first 4 days were centered around food creating new meals and reading food labels. This weekend instead of relaxing with a couple drinks we’ll be meal prepping and getting out of the house. Stay strong it will only get better. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned an important lesson today.  It was my first softball practice of the season and I hadn't eaten nearly enough at dinner.  I got lightheaded and winded and had my butt thoroughly kicked.  

I came home and had what was essentially a 4th meal and am now feeling better.  But I'm going to have to make a point of carefully eating enough before softball or I'm toast.

11 hours ago, dnewc said:

I can't believe we are already on day 5! Well done everyone!

Feeling great food and sleepwise, but I had a pretty lackluster run this morning... 

@Dave K - I also lost about a half mile and my heart rate was up. I think I am a little dehydrated and I need to remember to drink more water throughout the day.

Yes, ending day 5 here. Ditto-- well done everybody!

It's not "hard" but it's not easy either.

Working full time at a fast-paced stressful job, plus sports, plus all the extra life stuff -- trying to do all of that, just as well as before, but now running on No Sugar and no junk simple carbs = pretty dang tired by the end of the day.

It's not hard but it is a challenge. And again, the best Whole30 rule is no sugar at all in any foods ever. It is an addictive unhealthy "food" substance, and none is easier than a little, a little more, a little more, etc. 

My only real issue right now is pretty crappy sleep. I already had trouble getting enough sleep on my regular diet, but I think the sugar withdrawal is messing with my sleep even more. That probably contributes to my fatigue, and crankiness :-). But I'm hopeful that it will improve in time, along with my athletic performance, hopefully! 

Cheers and good luck to all!

I had a really hard day 5.  Even though this is my 5th time doing this I still have issues with the withdrawal.  I always feel great at day 30 (or 27) but somehow the bad foods(for me) slowly sneak back into my diet.  I started the whole30 the first time for exhaustion, headaches, digestion issues, crankiness...  I actually took a sick day yesterday, I had a really bad headache that started Wednesday and my daughter had me up 4 times that night. So yesterday I was completely done.  I actually feel a lot better today.  Maybe that nap I took did the trick.  I will say that while napping I had a weird dream about food.  I dreamt that I was sneak eating card board, but it turned into pretzels and corn chips!  And I felt guilty for eating it!

I will be going out with some friends this weekend.  We are notorious for drinking lots of tasty drinks but I will be drinking seltzer water with lime instead. 

Day 5 is here for me everyone! Yayyy! Still with it! Day 4 was a challenge in that I was sooooo tired! A friend who is an exercise instructor and nutritionist, and most importantly had successfully done Whole30, said she felt that way too around day 4. She suggested I do what she did, and go buy a good quality B100 Complex. I did and took one yesterday and today. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but I feel better, more energized in that I can sit up!! Lol.

Today and tomorrow I have a big challenge. SUGGESTIONS ARE WEKCOME! I go to a two day conference, driving home at night time. I bought Epic Bars, RxBars, Fruit, Veggies, and Almonds to take in baggies. I dunno. Could be tough and I know I’ll be tired from this! Help!

Hope you all are hanging in there if not doing great! Happy Birthday @Dave K! May it be a good one and may you have a fantastic day as compared to yesterday’s difficult one!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers! I love hearing how you all are doing! The support is magnificent! xo Dianne

33 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Day 5 is here for me everyone! Yayyy! Still with it! Day 4 was a challenge in that I was sooooo tired! A friend who is an exercise instructor and nutritionist, and most importantly had successfully done Whole30, said she felt that way too around day 4. She suggested I do what she did, and go buy a good quality B100 Complex. I did and took one yesterday and today. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but I feel better, more energized in that I can sit up!! Lol.

Today and tomorrow I have a big challenge. SUGGESTIONS ARE WEKCOME! I go to a two day conference, driving home at night time. I bought Epic Bars, RxBars, Fruit, Veggies, and Almonds to take in baggies. I dunno. Could be tough and I know I’ll be tired from this! Help!

Hope you all are hanging in there if not doing great! Happy Birthday @Dave K! May it be a good one and may you have a fantastic day as compared to yesterday’s difficult one!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers! I love hearing how you all are doing! The support is magnificent! xo Dianne

Thank you for the wishes@Hope4Overcomers, but I was wishing a Happy Birthday to @JodiLou, :) .

Great advice from your exercise instructor/nutritionist, I take a multi-vitamin daily but will keep the B100 Complex in mind. Today is a little better as well, with regards to being tired, starting to feel a little bit more energetic.

Away for a two day conference... yikes.. could be tough. We were supposed to be on the road on Tuesday, Day 2, and made plans to bring a chicken breast and salad with us to keep from having to find something on the road. Dining out it might be simpler to finding a place for a protein, potato, salad? With water / lemon to drink. Might be good to bring with your own ghee and/or dressing. I like oil and vinegar, or just plain vinegar, my wife would need a dressing. Treat yourself to a nice steak restaurant? But you would still have to watch out for the butter.

Your snack ideas are good, but I saw where one person wrote about bringing hard boiled eggs to baseball game, which i thought might be a good idea on the days we are going for a hike. 

The book, I believe, has a section on dining out. I just didn't get to it yet.

Good Luck!!

I woke up absolutely ravenous.  I had been eating till I was full, but looking back, it was probably half of what I need to eat.  So I made a big breakfast of 4 scrambled eggs, a complaint chicken sausage and banana.  

Its Day 5 and I'm starving and irritated at everything.   So for the next few days I'm going to focus on getting more out of my meals.

@hope4Overcomers (am I doing this right???) I second the hard boiled eggs. Do you have a cooler?

AND. To everyone - please try Melissa's Chicken Hash as it was really delicious!! I modified it by taking out the walnuts (my daughter is allergic), using a little less red pepper, and substituting apple juice for the apple cider. It was very easy but I did get shredded sweet potato all over the counter and stove.

https://whole30.com/2017/04/melissas-chicken-hash/

6 minutes ago, bigmamabird said:

Its Day 5 and I'm starving and irritated at everything.   So for the next few days I'm going to focus on getting more out of my meals.

I hope you have a better day!! Even if you are still irritated, you shouldn't be starving!

I am also afraid of eating too much - I live a sedentary life these days and it's hard to judge how much I need and how much I want.

Hello, all – I hope you are having a good time with this journey.

Still 100% on Whole 30, and very comfortable in my success. Feeling better during the day and sleeping well. I do need more sleep now to feel rested. My usual night is 7 hours, but I will increase it to 8 hours a night from now on – it’s a lovely gift.

Speaking of gifts, I’ve added a twist to my Whole 30 – Four Day Wins (idea courtesy of life coach and author Martha Beck). For every four days I am 100% on this eating plan, I get a present. Since I've mastered the first 4 days I will buy myself a sweet little house plant. After the second 4 days (ending on Monday) the prize will probably be some stencils for my bullet journal. These presents aren’t expensive, they’re just a physical trophy for my good behavior. There’s a lot of psychological reasons for doing this – check out the book “The Four Day Win” – but . . . yay, presents! I haven’t decided what the next prize will be after that. Maybe something for the shade garden, or an inexpensive watch band, or a new embroidery kit, or more colored pencils. Something inexpensive to make me smile, and to mark my progress.

@mirjam.have you tried Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea? It's the bomb! And it's an herbal tea, so no caffeine to worry about -- perfect for afternoons and evenings when you want a little something great.

Good Luck to everyone. Make plans to power through your weekend. Eat Well!

10 minutes ago, LizaQ said:

@hope4Overcomers (am I doing this right???) I second the hard boiled eggs. Do you have a cooler?

AND. To everyone - please try Melissa's Chicken Hash as it was really delicious!! I modified it by taking out the walnuts (my daughter is allergic), using a little less red pepper, and substituting apple juice for the apple cider. It was very easy but I did get shredded sweet potato all over the counter and stove.

https://whole30.com/2017/04/melissas-chicken-hash/

(doing it right) - almost-  type @ then the start of the name, then select name from the box when it shows up @LizaQ

Thank you for the chicken hash recipe, printed it out. We are always looking for chicken ideas.

If anyone is on Instagram, definitely follow “whole30recipes.”

I made a 5 Pepper Chili last night that was amazing. Hearty, delicious, filling, and I barely missed the beans or cheese I normally put in my chili. 

Having it for lunch again today!! And possibly dinner... It’s that good... 

**Just a side note, if you make it - the recipe instructions omitted adding salt and pepper as well as liquid of some sort... I added about 6 cups of bone broth. Essential for deliciousness** 

38 minutes ago, Dave K said:

(doing it right) - almost-  type @ then the start of the name, then select name from t

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Thank you for the wishes@Hope4Overcomers, but I was wishing a Happy Birthday to @JodiLou, :) .

Great advice from your exercise instructor/nutritionist, I take a multi-vitamin daily but will keep the B100 Complex in mind. Today is a little better as well, with regards to being tired, starting to feel a little bit more energetic.

Away for a two day conference... yikes.. could be tough. We were supposed to be on the road on Tuesday, Day 2, and made plans to bring a chicken breast and salad with us to keep from having to find something on the road. Dining out it might be simpler to finding a place for a protein, potato, salad? With water / lemon to drink. Might be good to bring with your own ghee and/or dressing. I like oil and vinegar, or just plain vinegar, my wife would need a dressing. Treat yourself to a nice steak restaurant? But you would still have to watch out for the butter.

Your snack ideas are good, but I saw where one person wrote about bringing hard boiled eggs to baseball game, which i thought might be a good idea on the days we are going for a hike. 

The book, I believe, has a section on dining out. I just didn't get to it yet.

Good Luck!!

he box when it shows up @LizaQ

Thank you for the chicken hash recipe, printed it out. We are always looking for chicken ideas.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, @Dave K! And have a Happy Birthday @JodiLou!:rolleyes:

Happy Friday everyone!

Breakfast was quite deficient. I had no veggies. Late morning, lack of preparation.

So guess what 'Do It!' will be doing this weekend. Yes indeedy... I need HASH in my life.

Did enjoy coconut milk in my coffee again this morning. I have milk here and at home.

Now I need to arrange the rest of my Whole that way. @Hope4Overcomers...I know that you are determined to be Whole this entire weekend. Sounds like you have all necessary armor to go into battle. 

I am confident that you will choose to succeed!!! ;) 

Yesterday was interesting. I was hungry all day AND I felt really bloated. I woke up and felt better. I didn't feel the bloat and I feel like my hunger was more in check.

NSV - One of my goals for this round is to get in more veggies. I made asparagus for the first time and it was really good. Extra bonus is at my 6 & 8 year old liked it also. It's always a win when I they like anything new, lol.

Weekend are a struggle since I'm out of my routine. So my plan is to cook a bunch today so all I have to do it mix and match and heat up.

Hey guys! Day 5 and I just got all of these notifications. I did start on 4/2, although it wasn’t the best day because I was sick. I decided to keep to my commitment though and I made it! I had a dilemma yesterday when the lunches I prepared were left out by accident. I ended up having to purchase a compliant lunch on my break, but I had Lara bars at my desk just in case I couldn’t find anything. Hope you are all doing well! 

Also, there is a tomato basil turkey meatloaf recipe on Pinterest that was SO GOOD and was super simple to make. I had it for dinner and made 3 work lunches with the leftovers. I had it with green beans and half a sweet potato :) 

39 minutes ago, deviin22 said:

Hey guys! Day 5 and I just got all of these notifications. I did start on 4/2, although it wasn’t the best day because I was sick. I decided to keep to my commitment though and I made it! I had a dilemma yesterday when the lunches I prepared were left out by accident. I ended up having to purchase a compliant lunch on my break, but I had Lara bars at my desk just in case I couldn’t find anything. Hope you are all doing well! 

EXCELLENT!!! Each successful quest strengthens us for the next! You rock!!!

Sorry. Couldn't clear editor. Weird.

I am reading Day by Day.

I am a classic case this time around. Just emotionally jumped in with not enough prep. This will be rectified this weekend.

Just ate the salad I wanted for lunch. Did a bit of olives walnuts and olive oil...a third of required amounts to give variety and flavor. Chicken, carrots, lovely jalapeno vinegar, tomato and onion, shredded carrots. Yup. I'm good.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Can you take something a little more substantial to eat for lunch? Leftovers packed up in the morning should be fine until lunch time -- if you're a little nervous about it being at room temp, do you have a small cooler or insulated lunch box you can use? 

If you google Whole30 forum conference, you should find past discussions of this as well. 

2 hours ago, deviin22 said:

Hi @deviin22... Thank you for starting the Post! :) 

@Hope4Overcomers Those are good snack options, but you can also pack compliant meals! If you have access to a microwave, that's even better, but either way, cold chicken over salad lasts well, and is good anywhere.  Food should stay good out of the fridge for a couple hours, but you can always put a frozen water bottle in with it to keep it chilled and give you a frosty drink in the afternoon. Good luck! The right attitude will get you 90% of the way there.

I survived the week barely. Eating whole30 approved has reduced my stress because I know what I can eat and I know that I have options. A couple days ago I got out my food processor and whirred up a sweet potato (a huge one) and an onion, which I've been using as a base for my evening meals. Tonight I had sweet potato, onion and zucchini cooked in ghee and topped with 5 fried eggs. Yes, I can hold 5 eggs in my hand, which is a serving! The two previous nights I mixed in some ground beef and a ton of arugula, which was also delicious.

I'm running out of veggies. Today I cut open a bag of frozen brussels sprouts, threw then in a container and took them to work with me for lunch. Sure I got a couple snarky comments about the scent of brussels, but I work in a good office, and no one really minds. I've been eating a roast that I made on Tuesday for the past couple days and noticed some stomach discomfort. I made this same roast last week, but didn't have any dried diced garlic or onions on hand, and I didn't have this discomfort. I have cut all garlic salt and garlic powder out of my diet (years ago) because I noticed it made me feel the same way, but I've never noticed problems with fresh garlic. Apparently the dried diced garlic (which I bought because I expected it to have fewer preservatives / additives) has the same effect and will have to be used less. Maybe the problem is that I just use too much?

I woke up today and noticed that my stomach looked very flat, but I'm now feeling very bloated and gross. I guess that's Day 5 for you!

Keep on keepin' on! We're getting there!

6 hours ago, deviin22 said:

Thank you for starting this starting thread @deviin22 I've enjoyed the camaraderie and support from all the folks who joined. I started on Easter Sunday April 1, so I'm on day 6 now and feeling pretty good. Sorry you started off sick, but glad you are feeling better again and back sharing all your great tips. Cheers! 

Archived