4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

A couple of days ago I made a jar of pickled onions. Wow! so easy and soooooo good! Here's a recipe https://whatgreatgrandmaate.com/easiest-quick-pickled-onions/  I just used some salt instead of coconut aminos but that sounds really good too.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting back to the gym... I used to be really committed, but I haven't lifted regularly in over a year. Has anybody come back from a looong slump that can give me some advice on how to get over this mental block? Thanks!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I can’t believe how many responses this post got, I didn’t get any the last time I did W30! You are all so great for supporting eachother. 

For anyone still getting used to this, just know that it will get easier and you sort of start to ENJOY prepping your food and trying new recipes.

Some essentials for me are: 

hardboiled eggs- I do 6 at a time so I always have them on hand for a quick breakfast. The easiest way to make them is to boil for 1 minute and then cover for 12-15 minutes. They come out perfect every time! 

frozen veggies - just discovered frozen riced veggies made by green giant! I like them because I don’t have to worry about them going bad if I don’t use them right away and they are ready in 5-6 minutes.

Lara Bars/RX Bars- I try to use these for emergencies only. I keep them in my purse, my desk at work, and at home. 

Chicken/turkey meatballs- there are so many different recipes on Pinterest for these. I end up making a double batch and freeze the extras so I have them available. 

Fruit- I only have fruit once per day, usually with breakfast. However, if I’m hungry after lunch and dying to snack on some chocolate or office cake- I find that handful of blueberries or an apple with almond butter and cinnamon cures that. 

Chicken sausage- always read the ingredients, but these are awesome to have for a quick  dinner. They cook in 10-12 minutes and are a good alternative to cookout food like hot dogs or meat that was marinated in non compliant ingredients. 

Seltzer water & tea- make sure you check the labels though! Some teas have soy in them or sweetners.

products I have in my fridge and pantry are: tessamaes dressing, compliant mustard, primal kitchen mayo, tomato paste, compliant chicken or vegetable broth, coconut milk, almond flour, coconut oil, olive oil, coconut aminos, and ghee.

Another huge inspiration for me is following Whole30 people on Instagram. I am a huge fan of NoCrumbsLeft and a few other bloggers. They are always posting great tips. 

We’ve got a few stages to go through, but remember that making the decision to do this was huge. I hope everyone makes it through and gets to feel that awesome Tiger blood! If you mess up, start again! No judgement :) 

Day 5 - the end of the work week!!! Woohoo!!! Congrats to all we made it!! :) It was tough, but just took a lot of planning.

I ran the gauntlet at work. Left over Easter desserts, about 5 pies and cookies, on Monday, Doughnuts on Wednesday and still warm cherry cheese cake on Friday. Great week to start I would have gained about 10 pounds!!! Coffee and avoiding the kitchen helped.

Biggest take away was plan, plan, plan. A lot of extra time spent running to the grocery stores at lunch or on the way home to pick up extra items.

Weekend fun... meal planning and taxes. :) 

Enjoy your weekend everybody!!! 

I'm brand new here and also on my first Whole30 journey.  I started April 2.  Was looking for some support & encouragement, and it looks like maybe I've found it here!  Felt crummy this morning and was contemplating being a quitter, but I think I'll stick with it and follow along with you all. =)

My main goal is to get high cholesterol under control without medication.  I'm 59, relatively fit, not overweight, and I follow a "good" diet, but I know I need to do much better.  My cholesterol has been creeping up since my late 40's.  Last time it was 399.  Don't faint!  I'm not worried about it.  HDL & Tris are both fine; it's just the LDL out of whack, and I don't tolerate statins, so I won't go that route.  I really believe that reducing (eliminating on whole 30) sugars & grains will make a difference.  Haven't been able to force myself to do that before.

I hope you all are feeling well today!  Less than a month to go!!! ;-)

I'm now on Day 4 and gearing up for a good day. I went food shopping with my husband first thing this morning and found that our favorite (but 20m away so only once a week) store carries the Primal Kitchen Dressings I like. And the better meat - free range, pasture raised etc. - was definitely cheaper than at the stores near us. The ground beef was $7.50 per pound vs the $10. per pound at our local stores. Sweet!

But it's made my breakfast super late. Waiting to get into the kitchen (my husband's putting away the groceries and my son is getting ready for soccer so there's no room for me yet!) and EAT!

13 hours ago, dnewc said:

A couple of days ago I made a jar of pickled onions. Wow! so easy and soooooo good! Here's a recipe https://whatgreatgrandmaate.com/easiest-quick-pickled-onions/  I just used some salt instead of coconut aminos but that sounds really good too.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting back to the gym... I used to be really committed, but I haven't lifted regularly in over a year. Has anybody come back from a looong slump that can give me some advice on how to get over this mental block? Thanks!

Hi @dnewc your question about getting back in to lifting resonated with me. I came back to lifting after a while off of mostly running and biking. It was hard for me to not feel intimidated or overwhelmed starting over again in the gym. Luckily I stumbled upon a super online trainer, Nia Shanks, and her resource-rich website Lift Like a Girl: https://www.niashanks.com/start/. Nia has a ton of free  articles, guides, weight lifting templates, great instructional videos (learned so much about better form there) and more, all focused exclusively on women. Most importantly, focused on helping us be strong women. Nia inspired me to go heavier and harder, but smarter. She also focuses on good overall physical and emotional health, especially on healthy relationships with food. I can't recommend her her highly enough.  When I have specific questions or concerns about my training, I go to her searchable website and often find the answers I'm seeking. Other times, I just shoot her a quick email and she replies straight away with helpful guidance.  Good luck with getting back into strength training and three cheers for your Whole30 journey too. 

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Day 5 - the end of the work week!!! Woohoo!!! Congrats to all we made it!! :) It was tough, but just took a lot of planning.

I ran the gauntlet at work. Left over Easter desserts, about 5 pies and cookies, on Monday, Doughnuts on Wednesday and still warm cherry cheese cake on Friday. Great week to start I would have gained about 10 pounds!!! Coffee and avoiding the kitchen helped.

Biggest take away was plan, plan, plan. A lot of extra time spent running to the grocery stores at lunch or on the way home to pick up extra items.

Congrats @Dave K and family on a successful 5 days! Totally get the temptation gauntlet at work, so many treats offered and avoided. This first week too, during sugar/simple carb withdrawals, it was a little sad passing up all those cheerful treats, You're right though, planning and meal prep is key -- to feel good and to avoid the not-so-good convenient extras. Your weekend sounds like mine: taxes and meal prep. Oh, and trying to stay upright and moving. Since I've now transitioned from the ordinary no-sugar fatigue and into why do my arms feel so heavy and can I go back to bed now? Ha ha but please let the fat burning come soon! Cheers to you and best wishes for a fun successful weekend for all.

Hey thank you @deviin22 for all the great tips and advice! I think your experience and enthusiasm is probably why some of us jumped onto your April starting post. I'm looking to support and feel support from new folks like myself and to learn from folks like you who can share tips, tools and what to expect. So, thank you for being awesome. And cheers for your Whole30! 

4 hours ago, Dave K said:

Yes yes!!! There are meetings and all day depositions...and just overall generous souls that bring in coffee cakes, cookies and muffins...'just to get through the day'. I would sample and seconds EVERYTHING most times, but SOMETHING from the land of inflammation regularly. I'd lost my way...and compromised my health.

Excited about my trip to groceries today. Plan plan plan!!! Whole whole whole!!!

16 hours ago, dnewc said:

The mirror this morning moved me.  :( Because of new streamlined eating prior to whole and the amazing 5th day meltdown, I see loss, and accentuated lack of form. :blink:

Mmmmmmmm... hand weights today, and to the gym MONDAY for full fledge head on totally reemerged head to toe weight training. 

Katie Lobliner's videos gave me GREAT results...a nice routine to hit all muscle groups in the week. And yup. Heavier is better...as long as it's done smartly...

3 hours ago, tutormom said:

I'm brand new here and also on my first Whole30 journey.  I started April 2.  Was looking for some support & encouragement, and it looks like maybe I've found it here!  Felt crummy this morning and was contemplating being a quitter, but I think I'll stick with it and follow along with you all. =)

My main goal is to get high cholesterol under control without medication.  I'm 59, relatively fit, not overweight, and I follow a "good" diet, but I know I need to do much better.  My cholesterol has been creeping up since my late 40's.  Last time it was 399.  Don't faint!  I'm not worried about it.  HDL & Tris are both fine; it's just the LDL out of whack, and I don't tolerate statins, so I won't go that route.  I really believe that reducing (eliminating on whole 30) sugars & grains will make a difference.  Haven't been able to force myself to do that before.

It WILL!!! You cannot finish a 30 and not see improvements in SOMETHING. I have three other people doing it. Reading the book really convinces... @Hope4Overcomers is usually really quick to welcome everyone...I think she's doing her job thing this weekend if I remember correctly. Hope all is going well for her... This thread is sooo encouraging. You are in good company.

Welcome!!!! Well done on not quitting!!! Let's Dooooo it!!! B)

Today was super hard. My friend invited me to the movies. The only compliant snack they had there were some cashews and almonds. I was starving because It was lunch time. Luckily, I had anticipated this and brought orange slices and come cucumber slices. I also brought my orange vanilla seltzer. Popcorn is one of my favorite foods, so I knew I’d be tempted. I made it through - although I wish I remembered to bring my Lara bar in because I was hungry!

6 hours ago, tutormom said:

I hope this works for you! The testimonials are great to read if you need inspiration to stay on track. Just give yourself 30 days and see what happens! :) 

19 minutes ago, deviin22 said:

Today was super hard. My friend invited me to the movies. The only compliant snack they had there were some cashews and almonds. I was starving because It was lunch time. Luckily, I had anticipated this and brought orange slices and come cucumber slices. I also brought my orange vanilla seltzer. Popcorn is one of my favorite foods, so I knew I’d be tempted. I made it through - although I wish I remembered to bring my Lara bar in because I was hungry!

Oh man... Movie popcorn is like my kryptonite!! I actually turned down a friend going to the movies because I just didn’t trust myself!!  I made it through a huge home show this afternoon... I swear every single booth had candy or cookies. I didn’t touch a thing.  Shoo. 

3 minutes ago, bigmamabird said:

I had a dream that I polished off half a can of Pringles before I realized I shouldn't be.  I was so angry at myself ..... then I woke up and felt better.  My brain has officially started messing with me!

Omg! The horror! 

The dreams are crazy. This is only Day 5 for me and I've dreamed that I accidentally ate cookies and something with soy twice. Last night it was honey-mustard sauce. I didn't think this would happen until I was into this a few weeks and really feeling deprived.

So long as it is only in my dreams, I am ok!

9 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

I had a dream that I polished off half a can of Pringles before I realized I shouldn't be.  I was so angry at myself ..... then I woke up and felt better.  My brain has officially started messing with me!

Haha I've had dreams about Diet Coke and rice. Funny thing is that I didn't eat either more than occasionally before I started. The dream about diet coke was so convincing that I woke up and started planning how I was going to restart... ;)

This weekend I've been focusing on "getting my life in order" as I say. I cleaned on Saturday (including wiping down all my shelves and washing the floors). I live in a city with bad air quality, so things get pretty gritty and dirty regardless of what I do. I also don't have AC, so with the spring and summer coming the windows are open, which adds to the mess.

Today I'm doing meal prep. This week we're working 14 hour days Mon-Sat, so I have to have food ready to pack and eat.  I'm turning into somewhat of a Mel Joulwan fangirl. I bought her cookbooks and am planning on making Meat and Spinach Muffins for breakfast and a variety of dishes for lunch/dinner:

1. Best Chicken Ever ()

2. Garlic Lime Shrimp

3. Bora Bora Fireballs

4. Pork Char Siu and Fried Cauliflower Rice

I'm about to put the meats in to marinade and then head to my local store for the produce I didn't buy yesterday. Busy day ending with Church and an Italian lesson. Best of luck on week 2, all!

-S

I'm still hanging in here, my normal routine days are not so bad, I have been craving cheese and raisin brand cereal though.

Friday a dear co-worker retired and they had her luncheon at the absolute worse place on the planet for a Whole30!  I ate a salad before I went to the luncheon so that I could be strong.  I thought I was ordering within program: a salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, grilled rainbow trout and a double order of veggies because all of the sides were horrid. Everything was covered in oily butter. I picked at the fish mainly and then packed it up and brought it home to my 20 year old son who will eat anything.  It actually made him sick! Ugh.  In hind site, I'm not sure if I violated the Whole30 because I didn't think to ask them to steam the veggies and not to use butter. I read the Dining Out Guide AFTER this debacle trip. <sigh>  I wasn't prepared.  I'm willing to add another 5 days to my 30 due to this error.  I'm not in danger of any crazy dining out experiences over the next 2 months or so.   

I used to hate cooking, now I am happy to be cooking. 

13 hours ago, deviin22 said:

Omg! The horror! 

I spoke too soon. I had a dream last night that I ate a granola bar and when I was half way through realized that it had dairy AND sugar in it. I woke up really thinking that I had broken the rules and was debating on whether or not to restart. 

Hello! My husband and I just started......today! My daughter and son in law were here over Easter and had just completed the program. After some encouragement from them, I purchased “It Starts with Food” and the “Fast and Easy” cookbook. I spent a few days reading (studying) the book and then started building some pantry staples to prepare for today. I’m super nervous! I have had a very unhealthy relationship with sugar my whole life :huh: 

I’ve tried searching threw the forums to see if I can find an answer to my question. I am not having any luck. I hope it is okay to ask here. If not, can someone kindly direct me to the right place?

I joined Thrive during the Whole30 promotion of $60 off the first 3 orders ($20 increments). There was 2 pages of Whole30 compliant items. I carefully chose items that I was unable to find at my local grocery store. One of the items was Napa Valley Grand Reserve Balsamic Vinegar. I just noticed that on the bottle it does say “contains sulfites, no caramel coloring or added sugar”. I’m confused. I know that sulfites are a no. Which is why I am so confused as to why it would have been listed in the Whole30 approved section. Maybe this brand is okay, since it claims its natural. It does not state “natural sulfites” on the bottle. I hope I’m not making this more complicated than I should. I’m kinda known to be too much of an over thinker. Lol

Thank you for any help! Again, I’m sorry if I should have asked this somewhere else. 

DC15C0BC-9BB1-480A-9B33-762B2206F5D2.jpeg

9857605C-8DDA-4D3D-9792-FC9C9EBD0440.png

• Moderators

Hi, @30Rookie -- all balsamic vinegar contains sulfites, any wine-based vinegar will because it's part of the wine-making process. As long as it's only the naturally occurring ones, it's fine for Whole30, you just can't have any with added sulfites. Some cheaper vinegar will have added ones, and those will be on the ingredient list. 

Archived