4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

On 4/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, ale-maia said:

Hi everyone, I just discovered this thread. I'm newbie and just started the whole30 on 04/02. Eighth day today and so far so good. The only thing I really miss is my coffee with half and half. :( I have been using Nutpods but it is not the same, looking forward to my creamy coffee again. Had some headaches, light head, but yesterday my mood went to the roof. I just was so mad at my husband and kids for nothing. Then I read that it is the hormones kicking in. Anyways, looking forward to exchange experiences here. 

I had not even HEARD of nut pods until this thread. I have been delighted with plain ole coconut milk in my coffee, which I count as my morning fat.

Should I check it out?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sugar Dragon was mauling me good today!  I was stuck in the slooooooowest line at Wal-Mart, all the while surrounded by candies and cookies and chips.  Those checkout lines are a death trap.  I was so close to buying a candy bar but I stayed strong.

Then this afternoon I made two trays of cookies and two lasagnas for my sister-in-law who just had a baby.  I had cookie dough all over my fingers and had to repeat to myself "Don't lick them!  Don't lick them!"  

Day 9 and I’m doin fine! I’m feeling great. The headaches have gone, and I’m completely less bloated than I have ever been before. And my stomach problems I had have subsided. I did have a dream last night that my friend was trying to sabotage my Whole30 by making me eat things, but i kept saying no. So my subconscious is even in check! Haha

Hi There! Day 9 again. Once again I was able to exercise. Made up a delicious dinner that I think will keep me satisfied longer. I’m primarily a vegetarian by nature but tonight I cooked a skinless chicken breast on the stove. Added garlic, salt, pepper, some spices, cooked it in a little olive oil. Then steamed some spinach, cut up some red onion. And used Trader Joe’s Whole30 approved guacamole. So chicken, layered with spinach on top, red onion, and quacamole. I should have had cauliflower rice with it from Trader Joe’s but forgot about it. Had a small amount of program approved applesauce. It was delicious! Maybe I won’t wake up hungry at 2:00 am tomorrow morning!

Be encouraged!

Dianne

@suzannes Thanks for the tips about the Nia Shanks website. I am definitely going to check this out. So far so good (ish) with my gym visits. I did procrastinate and wait until Saturday to start but I did go. My plan is to lift 3 days with a bit of cardio cross-training alternating with running. We'll see how that goes. Also to get the fat burning igniting I am experimenting with a pre-run snack that is a "fat bomb". I use a compliant muesli with almond milk (made from coconut and almond flakes and other nuts and compliant dried fruit). I did it once before on Whole30 and it seemed to work well, but I forgot about it until this morning.

To all you spiralizers out there, where has this gadget been all my life? I made the ginger shrimp from the fast and easy cookbook and I swear my daughter picked out all the zucchini noodles! Last night I spiralized a giant sweet potato, tossed it in olive oil with salt and pepper and roasted it until it got a bit browned. It crisped up after I took it out of the oven.  So good!

Tonight I am going to try to concoct a scallion pancake to go with zoodles and the roasted chicken I got from Whole Foods. I figure eggs, a bit of mashed potato, a healthy amount of scallions and grated carrot?... worth a try.

Here's to day 9!

1 hour ago, dnewc said:

@suzannes Thanks for the tips about the Nia Shanks website. I am definitely going to check this out. So far so good (ish) with my gym visits. I did procrastinate and wait until Saturday to start but I did go. My plan is to lift 3 days with a bit of cardio cross-training alternating with running. We'll see how that goes. Also to get the fat burning igniting I am experimenting with a pre-run snack that is a "fat bomb". I use a compliant muesli with almond milk (made from coconut and almond flakes and other nuts and compliant dried fruit). I did it once before on Whole30 and it seemed to work well, but I forgot about it until this morning.

To all you spiralizers out there, where has this gadget been all my life? I made the ginger shrimp from the fast and easy cookbook and I swear my daughter picked out all the zucchini noodles! Last night I spiralized a giant sweet potato, tossed it in olive oil with salt and pepper and roasted it until it got a bit browned. It crisped up after I took it out of the oven.  So good!

Tonight I am going to try to concoct a scallion pancake to go with zoodles and the roasted chicken I got from Whole Foods. I figure eggs, a bit of mashed potato, a healthy amount of scallions and grated carrot?... worth a try.

Here's to day 9!

Oh yum! Sounds great @dnewc!!!

7 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I had not even HEARD of nut pods until this thread. I have been delighted with plain ole coconut milk in my coffee, which I count as my morning fat.

Should I check it out?

I’m learning to love NutPods... You just have to know going in that the flavored kinds are not going to taste like traditional flavored creamers. But if you are enjoying coconut milk, I’d just stick with that!!

2 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Oh yum! Sounds great @dnewc!!!

Spiralized zucchini noodles, sauteed in a bit of coconut or olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and basil with some spicy greens, are the perfect pasta for bolognese and just about any sauce. I <heart> them, a lot. 

Day 10 - 1/3 of the way there!!!    Nice going everybody!!!

My wife and I seemed to have settled into a routine making sure we make the right food choices. We think it will be important to still incorporate new meals to keep the variety, so still searching for different meals to plan.

My desire for sugar has passed and the tiredness seems to have gone away, energy seems to be coming back daily. I feel thinner and the belt moved over that 1/2 notch it was trying to reach, good sign!!! But still playing by the rules with the scale in the closet. 

Hope everybody has a good day!!!

11 hours ago, Kiralyn D said:

I’m learning to love NutPods... You just have to know going in that the flavored kinds are not going to taste like traditional flavored creamers. But if you are enjoying coconut milk, I’d just stick with that!!

My wife has adapted to the NutPods as well. (i drink it black) She said it lightens up the taste enough.

Day 10 - bought some SuperSeedz Sea salt Pumpkin Seeds the other day and they are SO GOOD! I mainly just sprinkle them on salads or have a spoonful with my breakfast. My most favorite "treat" is a sliced Koru apple with crunchy almond butter and cinnamon. It tastes so good, I forget that it's compliant! The bloat is starting to go, but that initial energy I felt took a dip the past couple of days. I know that it'll turn back up again probably by the end of this week. Hope everyone is doing well and please share any tips or hacks that you've learned to make Whole30 part of your daily routine! I am excited for dinner tonight because I am roasting a chicken with lemon, onion, garlic, and rosemary with baby red potatoes. Thinking maybe spinach or green beans to go with it, we'll see! :D

5 minutes ago, deviin22 said:

Day 10 - bought some SuperSeedz Sea salt Pumpkin Seeds the other day and they are SO GOOD! I mainly just sprinkle them on salads or have a spoonful with my breakfast. My most favorite "treat" is a sliced Koru apple with crunchy almond butter and cinnamon. It tastes so good, I forget that it's compliant! The bloat is starting to go, but that initial energy I felt took a dip the past couple of days. I know that it'll turn back up again probably by the end of this week. Hope everyone is doing well and please share any tips or hacks that you've learned to make Whole30 part of your daily routine! I am excited for dinner tonight because I am roasting a chicken with lemon, onion, garlic, and rosemary with baby red potatoes. Thinking maybe spinach or green beans to go with it, we'll see! :D

What a wonderful couple of treats and a great dinner plan. I’m going shopping today and will pick those items up! Thank you! @deviin22 a good quality B100 supplement (compliant) has totally helped my energy!! xo Dianne

Day 10 and going strong! Incorporating different foods and recipes. No longer hungry so much between meals and not hungry at night if I can’t sleep! My autoimmune conditions are starting to feel much better. Inflammation must be going down! :D We are all really doing this thing! Great job everybody!! :)

30 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Day 10 - 1/3 of the way there!!!    Nice going everybody!!!

My wife and I seemed to have settled into a routine making sure we make the right food choices. We think it will be important to still incorporate new meals to keep the variety, so still searching for different meals to plan.

My desire for sugar has passed and the tiredness seems to have gone away, energy seems to be coming back daily. I feel thinner and the belt moved over that 1/2 notch it was trying to reach, good sign!!! But still playing by the rules with the scale in the closet. 

Hope everybody has a good day!!!

Great job you two! You are a great team! And awesome as part of this team! Way to go! :) Be encouraged, Dianne

2 hours ago, deviin22 said:

@deviin22 Ditto on the energy up and down. I'm just hoping my energy rebounds again soon. The sugar withdrawal fatigue and crankiness has been pretty brutal since April 1, plus sleep has been bad too = not super happy. But I'm very proud of all the clean and healthy eating, feeling good, fighting the mighty evil sugar dragon, and forging ahead. Cheers to you and @Hope4Overcomers @dnewc @Dave K  all the other brave April Whole 30 adventurers here -- y'all are doing great and inspiring me daily!   :wub:

3 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Day 10 and going strong! Incorporating different foods and recipes. No longer hungry so much between meals and not hungry at night if I can’t sleep! My autoimmune conditions are starting to feel much better. Inflammation must be going down! :D We are all really doing this thing! Great job everybody!! :)

Different foods... a friend of mine is on the Paleo diet, she had suggested Chocolate Chilli , it is one of her favorites. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

I picked up some cocoa powder at lunch today to try over the weekend. My wife's a little nervous :) , I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

24 minutes ago, Kiralyn D said:

Pro Tip:

Primal Kitchesn’s Caesar Dressing is a game changer, y’all. It is SO good. Had it on a bed of mixed greens topped with red onion and grilled flank steak. This will be a repeat long after Whole30 is over. 

My wife love's it!! ... I prefer a little oil with vinegar, I don't want to use it on her. 

2 hours ago, Kiralyn D said:

Pro Tip:

Primal Kitchesn’s Caesar Dressing is a game changer, y’all. It is SO good. Had it on a bed of mixed greens topped with red onion and grilled flank steak. This will be a repeat long after Whole30 is over. 

YES, YES, YES!! So, so good!! It's my go-to dressing! I love it!

In general, I like Primal Kitchen dressings over Tessemae's dressings. They taste better and they use olive oil rather than sunflower oil (which is recommended to be limited). 

6 hours ago, Kiralyn D said:

Pro Tip:

Thanks for the recommendation! I love Primal Kitchen! Plus I love Caesar Dressing! I can’t lose! xo Dianne

ITA - that Caesar dressing is wonderful! I just finished a bottle with breakfast.

Yesterday I tried Tai Chi for the first time. What a workout! I haven't exercised beyond walking in a few years. I have RA and am often in pain but this sort of exercise is supposed to help. I hope it does.

And I tried a Lara Bar after the class (I did not prepare well for being out in the middle of the day and it was a crisis snack which tided me over till I got home and had chicken and guacamole) and it was SO SWEET! Oh my goodness. I got the Pecan Pie bar - dates, pecan, almonds. I would not buy these and keep them around just in case I had a craving. Dangerous.

These last few days have gone by so quickly, but I am 100% on plan and feeling great. I still haven’t made the Chicken Hash, though I did buy all the ingredients last weekend. Maybe I’ll do it tonight. (Note to self: COOK on the weekend like you plan to do – weeknights are for eating, not cooking)

Because I love rewards, I bought myself a beautiful pendant necklace that is designed for mindfulness and centering. It has already helped me recall that I have successfully completed a Whole 30, and that I am focused on completing this one, too. In the moment of food-choice, it helps me to be mindful and choose well.

In the last couple days, my mind has started to clear and I have become mentally sharper and more productive at work. This is such a relief – I was afraid I was slipping into a brain fog of old age where all the “youngsters” would outpace me and I’d just be pathetic and useless. But NO – it was the food I’ve been eating. Not sure if it was the sugar, the grains, or the additives but I feel like my old self again -- intelligent and perceptive. I can’t put into words how relieved I am about the return of my brain function. It’s the key to my self-esteem. (OMG – I never realized that until I just told you – how weird).

On a lighter note: got a great deal on an Instant Pot (the one I’ve been wanting was on sale yesterday at Amazon), and this will give me more choices for cooking. I need all the help I can get. Looking forward to playing with it over the weekend, so if anyone has a favorite Whole30 Instant Pot recipe, please post it.

@LizaQ-  honey, you are not supposed to drink a bottle of Caesar Dressing with your breakfast, even if it is W30 compliant. Just sayin'  ;)

Eat Well – Enjoy!

@Amy Rose I made this chicken and mushroom dish in my Instant Pot last night, and it was awesome. (I added some bone broth to turn it into a soup, but it would be equally good over cauliflower rice). Let me know if you can’t read the picture and I will type out instructions. 

I’m looking for more IP recipes, so if you or others come across some good ones, please share!! 

D32F9B06-20C6-4363-8E8C-DB1E9C7CD9A0.png

On 4/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, deviin22 said:

Yes on the energy dip. Woke up this morning drained like WHAAAAT HAAAPPENED???

Cranky as well...then read day 10 in day by day...I am blown away at the accuracy of the timeline...this too shall pass...

Archived