Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deviin22

4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

Yup... association is the key, the focus... the only reason the food in a group of familiars happens.

Wonder what would happen if I invited a bunch of friends over and said oh by the way...there will be no food...and don't bring any. :blink:

So mind-blowing that food is incorporated into everything we do.

Long before Whole 30, I had an epiphany: you can go to a cinema, and view a movie. And that's it. No popcorn, Goobers, drinks big enough to take a bath in...it was liberating. Cheaper too. ;)

That is my long term goal: awareness. "Is this an occasion where I 'have' to eat?" 

Availability does NOT equal necessity...

Hello all...I have been pretty silent on here. I don't login as much as I should. How is everyone doing? This has been such a great experience so far on my end. I don't notice much in my body composition but my awareness to my unhealthy eating habits has sure come to light! I am loving making things from scratch and so far all the recipes I have made from the book are delicious! The one area I struggle with is on the go meal planning. I am pretty busy and lean on my food dehydrator and dry fruit a lot. Any suggestions of other alternatives?

3 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Yup... association is the key, the focus... the only reason the food in a group of familiars happens.

Wonder what would happen if I invited a bunch of friends over and said oh by the way...there will be no food...and don't bring any. :blink:

So mind-blowing that food is incorporated into everything we do.

Long before Whole 30, I had an epiphany: you can go to a cinema, and view a movie. And that's it. No popcorn, Goobers, drinks big enough to take a bath in...it was liberating. Cheaper too. ;)

That is my long term goal: awareness. "Is this an occasion where I 'have' to eat?" 

Availability does NOT equal necessity...

I love all of this!  Especially 'availability does not equal necessity'.  I was thinking about this yesterday when I watched one of our managers leave for the day.  He walked by a table that had cookies and donuts/donut holes on it since 730 that morning... stopped at the table, perused the detritus left from the day and then took a few donut holes and popped them into his mouth. All I could think was 'that is not someone eating for the joy of enjoying a good donut, that's someone eating because it's there'. I mean how good could a 9 hour donut hole even be???  

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I love all of this!  Especially 'availability does not equal necessity'.  I was thinking about this yesterday when I watched one of our managers leave for the day.  He walked by a table that had cookies and donuts/donut holes on it since 730 that morning... stopped at the table, perused the detritus left from the day and then took a few donut holes and popped them into his mouth. All I could think was 'that is not someone eating for the joy of enjoying a good donut, that's someone eating because it's there'. I mean how good could a 9 hour donut hole even be???  

Just got home from an impromptu girl's night movie marathon... but not so impromptu that bbq meatballs, chicken wings, cheeses, crackers and various choices of alcoholic beverages were not available.

I brought with me: bacon, salmon fillet cooked in the bacon fat, riced cauliflower with mustard in a bowl (don't knock it till ya try it :wub:), and my soda stream seltzer water with a splash of cranberry and cherry juice...just a splash, 100% juice, first try...liked it...yummmm. 

I enjoyed the girls and the movies...but most importantly...

I am whole.

Yes indeedy  @SugarcubeOD@Hope4Overcomersavailability does NOT equal necessity!!! B)

Let's rock n roll!!! Gnite all!!!

3 hours ago, Crystal78 said:

Hello all...I have been pretty silent on here. I don't login as much as I should. How is everyone doing? This has been such a great experience so far on my end. I don't notice much in my body composition but my awareness to my unhealthy eating habits has sure come to light! I am loving making things from scratch and so far all the recipes I have made from the book are delicious! The one area I struggle with is on the go meal planning. I am pretty busy and lean on my food dehydrator and dry fruit a lot. Any suggestions of other alternatives?

No way around it. Prep prep prep. Chicken breasts and sweet potato are my go to on the go...a whole pan of them, baggied for those mornings that the tiger was missing, and I opted to sleep a little too long, or the evenings when tiger didn't make it home and I could actually eat something...and compliant before falling into bed...yes confession on the sly here. Will be loading up tomorrow for next week. Good motivation for ME to make sure I handle MY business tomorrow.

Let's do this!!!

17 hours ago, dee1314 said:

@Dave K even though I’m not part of your group I’ve been reading some of your comments and it’s great that you all have great enthusiasm. Regarding your dressing issue of not having found one that’s Whole30 approved, try Primal Kitchen dressings or mayo.  Whole sisters have a recipe for Ranch dressing which is addictive as well as one for mayo. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

Hi @dee1314 and welcome! We did find the Primal Kitchen dressings and a approved mayo week one. We tried to make the mayo for our chicken salad and failed twice, couldn’t get it to whip. Blamed the equipment :) My wife used a combination of the primal Caesar and little bit of the store bought mayo (she’s not a fan of the mayo). It worked out great. 

It’s a great group! Love the enthusiasm of all! 

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Hi @dee1314 and welcome! We did find the Primal Kitchen dressings and a approved mayo week one. We tried to make the mayo for our chicken salad and failed twice, couldn’t get it to whip. Blamed the equipment :) My wife used a combination of the primal Caesar and little bit of the store bought mayo (she’s not a fan of the mayo). It worked out great. 

It’s a great group! Love the enthusiasm of all! 

I made mayo twice (yuuuummmmm) and I used the hand blender. Pour that oil in as slowly as you possibly can...it is true that you need the entire three minutes to pour...but I tell ya, when you get it right, you'll probably never buy it again. Haven't made any this run. Thanks for this!

1 hour ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I made mayo twice (yuuuummmmm) and I used the hand blender. Pour that oil in as slowly as you possibly can...it is true that you need the entire three minutes to pour...but I tell ya, when you get it right, you'll probably never buy it again. Haven't made any this run. Thanks for this!

Lucky you!! :) 

If I can bug you with a questions.. I brought all to room temperature, but couldn’t get the egg to whip. Did you include the little bit of oil at first with the egg, or did you start the egg then add oil? we tried blender, then hand mixer but we had oil in with the egg to start. 

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Lucky you!! :) 

If I can bug you with a questions.. I brought all to room temperature, but couldn’t get the egg to whip. Did you include the little bit of oil at first with the egg, or did you start the egg then add oil? we tried blender, then hand mixer but we had oil in with the egg to start. 

You can try the mason jar stick blender method - I've never had it not work.  Put everything in a pint mason jar, put the stick blender at the bottom of the jar and start it on its low setting.  When you see mayo start to form at the bottom of the jar, slowly pull up the stick blender until all the oil has been incorporated.  You might see a titch of oil at the sides of the jar but just stir it in with a spoon when you're done.  Takes in total from hitting the start button on the blender to end about... 20 sec.

I put the room temperature eggs, oil, mustard powder and salt in at the same time in the beginning.  Yes...in a mason jar with a stick blender as @SugarcubeOD mentioned...once it was thoroughly mixed, slowly poured in the oil, and it makes a different sound once you've hit gold...but don't get excited!!!  Keep that pour slow and  steady.  Preparing it in the mason jar is lovely.  Put the top on, store in the fridge.  No idea how long it lasts...never around long enough for me to find out!!!:D

Yup...going to the store shortly.  There will be MAYO on next week's menu!  How did I miss MAKING SOME for this whole???

Stay whole everyone!!  B)

13 minutes ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

slowly poured in the oil

If you're doing it in a mason jar with an immersion blender, you don't have to slowly pour the oil. Dump it all in the jar -- the egg, all the oil, the acid, the seasonings, all of it -- stick the immersion blender in all the way to the bottom, and blend. Like this:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/  Super, super fast and easy. 

Hello, day 14 almost over. After bragging to friends and family bit about my easy Whole30 I had terrible terrible bloating on Friday, probably because I ate some raw Kohlrabi (a kind of cabbage we eat a lot here in Germany). I was also really really hungry today despite having a big steak for dinner last night, a huge sweet potato  for lunch and ate all kinds of sausages as a snack in the afternoon. I hope next week will be better and I get back on track with my diet.
I've been low-carb for a long time and doing intermittent fasting as well and I'm starting to think that maybe my metabolism is really by confused now. But I'm also afraid of eating breakfast and adding carbs and fruit back in. Is anybody else experiencing similar problems?

2 hours ago, mirjam. said:

Hello, day 14 almost over. After bragging to friends and family bit about my easy Whole30 I had terrible terrible bloating on Friday, probably because I ate some raw Kohlrabi (a kind of cabbage we eat a lot here in Germany). I was also really really hungry today despite having a big steak for dinner last night, a huge sweet potato  for lunch and ate all kinds of sausages as a snack in the afternoon. I hope next week will be better and I get back on track with my diet.
I've been low-carb for a long time and doing intermittent fasting as well and I'm starting to think that maybe my metabolism is really by confused now. But I'm also afraid of eating breakfast and adding carbs and fruit back in. Is anybody else experiencing similar problems?

Raw cabbage will definitely contribute to bloating. Try cooking it next time, it seems less likely to bother people when it's cooked.

Sometimes when people have been restricting or dieting prior to doing Whole30, it does take a little longer to see results and feel good. You may feel like you're gaining weight even. It is kind of like your body is confused and isn't sure what to do. But if you stay consistent it will even out it in time. 

You don't have to add carbs back. If you feel good without them and you're eating plenty of vegetables, protein, and fat, you may not need them. We usually tell people to try starting with one fist-sized serving of a starchy vegetable each day and see how it goes. Fruit is completely optional -- if you want some, it's fine to have, but you definitely don't have to have any. 

Really concentrate on having meals that are big enough to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time. To do that, make sure your meals all match the meal template. It really is the best way to beat the snacking and cravings.  (You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

8 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

@Let's Dooooo It! I usually do the Whole Sisters mayo and you just dump the light olive oil, mustard, egg etc and blend with immersion blender and it comes out great. 

Happy Halfway team! (at least most folks here, I'm Day 15)

Ditto all the above: prep prep prep. Until or if I get to be a super fast whiz at this prep business, I pretty much have to count on devoting a least half my Sunday's to Whole30 meal prep for the week. It's totally worth it though, I've enjoyed it and learned a lot. I'm cooking way more food, and more interesting and healthy food than before, because I HAVE to. I can't fill my meals with quick easy junk carbs any more (astounded how much I did that before Whole30). I'm making everything from scratch now, and that takes some time. 

Speaking of prep: I need to say how I am ridiculously proud of myself for making homemade sunflower seed butter today. So easy and yummy. Couldn't find any compliant jars in my stores around here. And I'm glad I couldn't, since making it was fun and cheaper too. I feel like today I became "next level" Whole30. Like I said, I'm unduly proud. Next highest level I think would be if I ever make ghee :-)

Great job folks on your first two weeks and cheers to everyone for the next half! 

9 hours ago, nishgbsr said:

Starting today. Day 1:)

Welcome and congrats @nishgbsr on starting your Whole30. Cheers to you on your upcoming successes (and a few struggles too probably). Check through this thread from the beginning to see some good tips from experienced and smart folks here, and to see what others have been experiencing, enjoying and feeling challenged with. This is Day 15 for me and I'm doing pretty well, but the first week and a half were a bit tough thanks to low energy carb withdrawal. Hang in there, definitely follow the meal template, and look for all the great advice and info from the awesome forum moderators, you'll be happy you did.  You got this! 

Greetings fellow travelers of the Whole30 experience! Drum roll, please, successfully (almost) completed Day 14 and baked brownies for tomorrow’s potluck! Whoop Whoop, wasn’t even tempted (much) because I saw all the sugary gooey glop I put into my baking masterpiece (more than a slight exaggeration on the masterpiece part). I have them safely stowed away until tomorrow, where I will consume my Whole30 approved meal prior to going to the luncheon. All leftover brownies stay there or go home with those still stuck in the throes of brownie addiction.

May, I confess, Whole30 has not helped my long standing complex insomnia, but it has certainly changed how I react to it. Despite very little shut eye for days in a row, I had the ability to carry on a fully productive engaging day. I’m not sick for days on end from it. I’m tired as in no rest yet still energetic. Not hyper just alive and doing well. And after all, I must be one day closer to a restful night. Right? It didn’t incapacitate me the way Easter Dinner (prior to Whole30) in itself did. I call that a victory.

Getting far more adventurous in my meal planning, prep, and eating. I feel soooo much better. The inflammation must be minimized.

yes, I have my trials too, but I’ll take that anyday next to an average 24 hours in my life before.

Love, love, love hearing how old and newcomers alike are doing! Keep up the stellar job!

Be encouraged as you all encourage me.

xo Dianne

2 hours ago, suzannes said:

Happy Halfway team! (at least most folks here, I'm Day 15)

Ditto all the above: prep prep prep. Until or if I get to be a super fast whiz at this prep business, I pretty much have to count on devoting a least half my Sunday's to Whole30 meal prep for the week. It's totally worth it though, I've enjoyed it and learned a lot. I'm cooking way more food, and more interesting and healthy food than before, because I HAVE to. I can't fill my meals with quick easy junk carbs any more (astounded how much I did that before Whole30). I'm making everything from scratch now, and that takes some time. 

Speaking of prep: I need to say how I am ridiculously proud of myself for making homemade sunflower seed butter today. So easy and yummy. Couldn't find any compliant jars in my stores around here. And I'm glad I couldn't, since making it was fun and cheaper too. I feel like today I became "next level" Whole30. Like I said, I'm unduly proud. Next highest level I think would be if I ever make ghee :-)

Great job folks on your first two weeks and cheers to everyone for the next half! 

Yes yes!!!  Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of all meals that fit into one bowl.  Tonight, albacore tuna, MAAAAAAYOOOOOOOO... :D, riced cauliflower/sweet potato combo, trader joes 21 seasoning salute.  Yum!!!  Just finished last forkful.  It was good.  I'm satisfied.  Looked like coleslaw, tasted like tuna salad.  Yup...keeping THAT in rotation...

Congrats on 'the next level'!!! B)

2 hours ago, suzannes said:

Welcome and congrats @nishgbsr on starting your Whole30. Cheers to you on your upcoming successes (and a few struggles too probably). Check through this thread from the beginning to see some good tips from experienced and smart folks here, and to see what others have been experiencing, enjoying and feeling challenged with. This is Day 15 for me and I'm doing pretty well, but the first week and a half were a bit tough thanks to low energy carb withdrawal. Hang in there, definitely follow the meal template, and look for all the great advice and info from the awesome forum moderators, you'll be happy you did.  You got this! 

Yes you do @nishgbsr!!!  The timeline is CRAZY!!!  Check it often, usually dead on accurate regarding each day you are checking off!  It helps to know that those before you, as well as those after you, are all experiencing the same...sometimes out of sequence, but usually the entire gamut of reactions by the time day 30 arrives...that come with the  beauty of transformation.  DON'T QUIT!!!  Let's DOOOOO THIS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Greetings fellow travelers of the Whole30 experience! Drum roll, please, successfully (almost) completed Day 14 and baked brownies for tomorrow’s potluck! Whoop Whoop, wasn’t even tempted (much) because I saw all the sugary gooey glop I put into my baking masterpiece (more than a slight exaggeration on the masterpiece part). I have them safely stowed away until tomorrow, where I will consume my Whole30 approved meal prior to going to the luncheon. All leftover brownies stay there or go home with those still stuck in the throes of brownie addiction.

May, I confess, Whole30 has not helped my long standing complex insomnia, but it has certainly changed how I react to it. Despite very little shut eye for days in a row, I had the ability to carry on a fully productive engaging day. I’m not sick for days on end from it. I’m tired as in no rest yet still energetic. Not hyper just alive and doing well. And after all, I must be one day closer to a restful night. Right? It didn’t incapacitate me the way Easter Dinner (prior to Whole30) in itself did. I call that a victory.

Getting far more adventurous in my meal planning, prep, and eating. I feel soooo much better. The inflammation must be minimized.

yes, I have my trials too, but I’ll take that anyday next to an average 24 hours in my life before.

Love, love, love hearing how old and newcomers alike are doing! Keep up the stellar job!

Be encouraged as you all encourage me.

xo Dianne

Wooooohooooo!!!  Liberating, isn't it?  I know. 

I could open my own moving company before...then at some point I need a nap...then BOOM, I could LIFT the moving truck again.  Exhilarating highs and debilitating lows...tired but wired.  A mess.  But, for all of this to be happening definitely means we have changed the status quo.  Yaaaaaaaeeeee!!! 

I am CERTAIN that you will look at all of the sugarbombs and Noncompliant-riddled choices, moving along politely.  Already wondering if, tomorrow, I'm going to send it in all caps...WELL DONE!!!...or lower case, but lots of exclamation...well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...or a combo...well DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...  B)

I made it through the weekend!

Lots of situations that I would use as excuses to "treat myself" with something unhealthy.  My husband and I went out for dinner and a movie for his birthday.  I chose ahead of time what I was going to order and I stuck to it, despite the sinful looking skillet sized cookie and ice cream dessert on the menu.  I got my first tattoo and didn't feel the need to celebrate with a tasty treat afterwards.  We were housebound today due to an ice storm which normal would be an excuse for comfort food, but I remained on plan.

Overall, it was a great weekend.  I finished my first 14 days, it's all count down from here!