deviin22

4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Okay, fellow Whole30’ers can’t discern any Tiger Blood in me on Day 16. I’m unusually tired and I admit it, this morning I’m craving sweets, well at least fruit (probably more accurate). I reread the Time Line and sure enough Tiger Blood was supposed to have kicked in at, oh, let’s say midnight last night, to be exact! I’m just not feelin’ it. I also read though that Tiger Blood was different for different people, largely depending on where your health and habits were prior to this journey.

i just feel tired, blah, and like I want something sweet right now (as I said though, fruit appeals the most, as I don’t want to feel as sick as I used to prior to Whole30.

Is that Tiger Blood for me? Less sick and craving fruit (which I’ve had some, but yikes, want more!) vs craving doughnuts? 

What are all of your thoughts and experience? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sending out lots of love! xo Dianne

 

Hey there @Hope4Overcomers I feel ya there. Really glad you posted this today, as I was feeling a bit down at my own downness today. 

I'm Day 17 and not feeling tigerish at all. I feel very healthy and pretty good energy, but my sleep has been terrible for several days in a row and that's probably why the tiger is still hiding. Today felt more like day 7 than 17, dragging and cranky. Sweets/junk carbs  or extra fruit are extra appealing today for sure, as usual when I'm very low on sleep.  

As you wisely noted already, the Whole30 timeline is a general view of what a lot of folks have or might experience during the 30 days, but it's definitely not dialed in to each uniquely wonderful person on the Whole30. 

I think you are doing just great, you are eating to plan, being flexible while staying committed, learning as you go, paying attention to your feelings and progress, and just generally being very positive overall. So, tiger blood or no tiger blood, you should be proud of all your 16 days and feel confident for the next 14. You got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, suzannes said:

Hey there @Hope4Overcomers I feel ya there. Really glad you posted this today, as I was feeling a bit down at my own downness today. 

I'm Day 17 and not feeling tigerish at all. I feel very healthy and pretty good energy, but my sleep has been terrible for several days in a row and that's probably why the tiger is still hiding. Today felt more like day 7 than 17, dragging and cranky. Sweets/junk carbs  or extra fruit are extra appealing today for sure, as usual when I'm very low on sleep.  

As you wisely noted already, the Whole30 timeline is a general view of what a lot of folks have or might experience during the 30 days, but it's definitely not dialed in to each uniquely wonderful person on the Whole30. 

I think you are doing just great, you are eating to plan, being flexible while staying committed, learning as you go, paying attention to your feelings and progress, and just generally being very positive overall. So, tiger blood or no tiger blood, you should be proud of all your 16 days and feel confident for the next 14. You got this!

I don't know what the weather is like for all of you, but I wonder if I am bummed because it feels like December instead of April. Got energy back...but definitely no tiger.

Where is he???

That being said, we are fabulous.

Keeping it Whole people...we are keeping it Whole...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely bummed here! I was out tonight in my winter coat, sweater, scarf, gloves. Waiting for the bus was awful!

2 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I don't know what the weather is like for all of you, but I wonder if I am bummed because it feels like December instead of April. Got energy back...but definitely no tiger.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those not feeling the Tiger Blood yet, don't despair!  First, it can mean different things for different people and often it's not 'peel me off the ceiling energy' but rather 'wow, I feel really stable or good or positive or bright'.

Second, at this point some times people think they've got the template memorized and as they've been progressing, a little fat gets left off here, some starchy carbs forgotten there, too little protein because that one time you forgot to take something out of the freezer etc... Loop back to the meal template and make sure you're eating to match the template.  If you're eating between meals, have it be protein and fat, not fruit, nuts, nut butters, dried fruit or other 'snacky' type items.

Make sure you're salting your food and drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight every day and then be patient... many of us have not been kind to our bodies over the years and while 30 days can seem like an eternity, it's not altogether that long and none of you are AT 30 days yet so keep down the path and have faith that you're nourishing your bodies and treating yourselves with respect and dignity and everything else will follow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello short timers!! Day 16 at a end, slowly starting the decent. Tigerish? Starting to.. We did a 2 hour hike on Saturday followed by restocking the refrigerator. Sunday was cooking, cleaning, cleaning the fish tank, followed by 4 hours of overtime. I was Full of energy, my wife still feeling sluggish. Monday was a good day, run in the morning followed by a 12 hour work day. Seems like every project I’m working on is due. My head feels a little clearer keeping track. 

Great night at the trainers, she mentioned she’s Started drinking Hint, flavored water. I checked it’s Whole 30 compliant. I don’t miss the sugar, but craving something with a little taste besides lemon water and black coffee, the plan is to pick some up tomorrow. 

Many thanks for the mayo recipes, i’ll be trying them soon. Busy week with traveling, the plan is to bring my meals with me. 

Nice going everbody!! Over halfway!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple meals from Sunday.

Cocoa Chilli, recipe from Mel Joulwan. My daughter and I loved it, my wife isn’t a fan of Chilli. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

The pepper recipe from the book, with some modifications. 

Becoming a big fan of the rice cauliflower, seems to become a staple in the morning, sautéd with some oil, with two eggs scrambled in. 

764CBCB8-BAB9-49AD-BC7E-369282FDCA90.jpeg

DAB385D9-1317-4A07-B6A1-5C5FBC08E239.jpeg

E26A278F-0DFE-47F3-942A-7428549F9E13.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SugarcubeOD, you're right in my case. It is laid out in a specific way, and skimping only hurts the body. I convince myself that it won't make a difference...it apparently does!

I ate all protein yesterday morning, template worthy rest of the day. Woke up tired. Yup. Having to force myself to eat all the meals...but I'm not skipping on meals...just this or that, here and there...just enough to compromise my energy.

 Yes...need to tighten up...

Thank you for moderating... :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16. NSV's are NUMEROUS:

Knees don't hurt, no migraines, attitude better, clarity at work, clothes fitting better, rings fit again, not awaking sniffing every morning, not as winded at the top of the stairs, not tempted at all by the plethora of choices newly available at the job every other day, making husband purchase his own junk food and am not longing for it, tired last couple days, but STILL waking up before the alarm. Life is looking good!

Hope everyone is humming along...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Day 16. NSV's are NUMEROUS:

Knees don't hurt, no migraines, attitude better, clarity at work, clothes fitting better, rings fit again, not awaking sniffing every morning, not as winded at the top of the stairs, not tempted at all by the plethora of choices newly available at the job every other day, making husband purchase his own junk food and am not longing for it, tired last couple days, but STILL waking up before the alarm. Life is looking good!

Hope everyone is humming along...

@Let's Dooooo It! that's GREAT to hear!! Day 17 for me. I'm feeling about the same as you! Clothes are a little loose and I'm able to push myself while exercising instead of just trying to make it to the end. It's nice to be on the other side. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Tiger Blood for me... And I was feeling pretty bummed about it... But @SugarcubeOD reminded us - while I've been 100% compliant, I haven't reeaaaalllllly been taking care of business - the last couple of days have seen some snacking in between meals and not nearly enough water drinking. I was starting to get a bit discouraged, but I'm recommitting to the meal template and upping my water game.

NSV#1 - On Day 2, I ate an RX bar and thought it was pretty good. Yesterday, I had one (running late for dinner and was SO hungry), and I thought it was disgusting! It tasted syrupy sweet, and I couldn't even finish it. Also, before Whole30, I had a Spindrift. I thought it was sour and flat and kind of gross. Yesterday, I tried another, and I thought it was delicious! I have no doubt that if I tasted a Diet Coke right now, I would be disgusted at the chemical-y taste. So, taste buds are starting to recognize and love "real" foods! Yay!

NSV#2 - My skin is glowing! And so smooth. Yay!

We're over halfway there, friends.

One more thing - I'm still enjoying eggs for breakfast, but I'm having a hard time getting the vegetables on my plate in the mornings. Any QUICK tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kiralyn D said:

No Tiger Blood for me... And I was feeling pretty bummed about it... But @SugarcubeOD reminded us - while I've been 100% compliant, I haven't reeaaaalllllly been taking care of business - the last couple of days have seen some snacking in between meals and not nearly enough water drinking. I was starting to get a bit discouraged, but I'm recommitting to the meal template and upping my water game.

NSV#1 - On Day 2, I ate an RX bar and thought it was pretty good. Yesterday, I had one (running late for dinner and was SO hungry), and I thought it was disgusting! It tasted syrupy sweet, and I couldn't even finish it. Also, before Whole30, I had a Spindrift. I thought it was sour and flat and kind of gross. Yesterday, I tried another, and I thought it was delicious! I have no doubt that if I tasted a Diet Coke right now, I would be disgusted at the chemical-y taste. So, taste buds are starting to recognize and love "real" foods! Yay!

NSV#2 - My skin is glowing! And so smooth. Yay!

We're over halfway there, friends.

One more thing - I'm still enjoying eggs for breakfast, but I'm having a hard time getting the vegetables on my plate in the mornings. Any QUICK tips?

No reason to be bummed @Kiralyn D, I'm sure it will come in time. Plus as you mentioned so many other benefits. My wife feels about the same as you, I think it's time to revisit the meal template.

I've been going back and forth on getting my veggies in the morning. Some days I slice up a different assortment of zucchini, tomatoes, onions, spinach, peppers, mushrooms. (Depends on the mood, or whats in the frig.) A little bit of olive oil in the pan, veggies then fold in the eggs. Last couple days a little oil, cauliflower rice, cook until  golden, then fold in the eggs. I'll probable put a little spinach in with the cauliflower tomorrow. We do have a bag of cauliflower / broccoli rice that i tried one morning, wasn't bad, something strange about eating broccoli in the morning. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey There, I’m ready to go another round but, but, but...major wedding May 19th, Rehersal Dinner all of that. Plus my son will be flying cross country to be at the events and staying with me at my house. Does it make sense to my fellow sojourners to wait a month, eat as Whole30 like as I can, then pick it up again? Your thoughts too, please @SugarcubeOD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, @Dave K. I guess that's part of the problem - I haven't found any veggies that aren't just weird for me to eat so early in the morning (and don't require a lot of time)... I'll try folding some in with the eggs tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Hey There, I’m ready to go another round but, but, but...major wedding May 19th, Rehersal Dinner all of that. Plus my son will be flying cross country to be at the events and staying with me at my house. Does it make sense to my fellow sojourners to wait a month, eat as Whole30 like as I can, then pick it up again? Your thoughts too, please @SugarcubeOD?

Our plan (halfway through) is to try to incorporate what we've learned into our daily routines, but bringing back some of the restricted foods in moderation.  I had success so far staying away from sweets and would like to continue staying away from baked goods. A goal would be to continue to limit all the "hidden" sugars we discovered by reading the labels and continuing to try some of the new recipes we discovered. A drink (or two) was enjoyed on the weekend prior to starting and i can see that happening relaxing on the deck in the summer. But I can also see skipping a weekend here or there. :) 

The Mediterranean Diet, or maybe a variation/combination of, is something that we were looking as one possible path moving forward.

I can see myself doing Whole30 again, maybe after the summer. :) (But who knows how things may change after 2 more weeks.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been very quiet on here for a few days but I’m still going strong and on Day 17! I’m feeling great! My bloat is gone, I have more energy and strength during workouts and my family and friends can already tell a difference in me.

i still don’t have the Tiger Blood but my diet wasn’t the best before starting this so I’ll have to be patient.

im finding a new love for food and cooking. I’m discovering that food is fuel not a punishment or reward.

you only get one life and one body to live it in, so I have to nourish it the best I can! I love that everyone is doing well! Keep it up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave K said:

No reason to be bummed @Kiralyn D, I'm sure it will come in time. Plus as you mentioned so many other benefits. My wife feels about the same as you, I think it's time to revisit the meal template.

I've been going back and forth on getting my veggies in the morning. Some days I slice up a different assortment of zucchini, tomatoes, onions, spinach, peppers, mushrooms. (Depends on the mood, or whats in the frig.) A little bit of olive oil in the pan, veggies then fold in the eggs. Last couple days a little oil, cauliflower rice, cook until  golden, then fold in the eggs. I'll probable put a little spinach in with the cauliflower tomorrow. We do have a bag of cauliflower / broccoli rice that i tried one morning, wasn't bad, something strange about eating broccoli in the morning. :) 

I finally found a veg breakfast I like: leftover stir-fried cauliflower rice made with extra veggies and coconut oil, leftover steamed arugula/spinach, plus an extra couple eggs or some leftover roasted turkey. I've found this very easy to eat in the morning. Pre-workout at 4:30 am is most challenging, but I'm managing to get almond butter and hard boiled egg. I've come a long way since April 1 food-wise. @SugarcubeOD is right to remind us all to go back again and again to the Whole30 meal template and drink plenty of water. So helpful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suzannes said:

I finally found a veg breakfast I like: leftover stir-fried cauliflower rice made with extra veggies and coconut oil, leftover steamed arugula/spinach, plus an extra couple eggs or some leftover roasted turkey. I've found this very easy to eat in the morning. Pre-workout at 4:30 am is most challenging, but I'm managing to get almond butter and hard boiled egg. I've come a long way since April 1 food-wise. @SugarcubeOD is right to remind us all to go back again and again to the Whole30 meal template and drink plenty of water. So helpful! 

@suzannes your stir-fried cauliflower rice recipe looks delicious! Something new for the weekend! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Hey There, I’m ready to go another round but, but, but...major wedding May 19th, Rehersal Dinner all of that. Plus my son will be flying cross country to be at the events and staying with me at my house. Does it make sense to my fellow sojourners to wait a month, eat as Whole30 like as I can, then pick it up again? Your thoughts too, please @SugarcubeOD?

By the way, my BIGGY reason for wanting to ride Whole30 longer is antinflamatory reasons. No Tiger Blood but perhaps not a sick. Yeah, feeling better than before! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is he coming? And are you going to reintroduce? (Of course you are)

Possibly...extend to the point that allows you to finish reintroduction right before the visit and festivities, eat however you feel is beneficial for you during the festivities and visit (yup... leaving that open...we all have to determine if a food/occasion is 'worth it' and move on, no regrets in decision) then pick whole up right after?

None of us can say what's what...

Only YOU can prevent forest fires... ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I started 5 days ago. No slips and beginning to see some good things happening. But here are a few things I don’t understand. I only sleep two hours then wake.usually to go to bathroom. Had to take a sleeping side to dleep

more than 2 hours as hard to function. 

I also get hiccups randomly—in am for a few minutes, sometimes I’m just sitting  and I get it.  

I love bullet coffee. FINAlly can drink black coffee. 

Min also still very tired. When will this change?

bootsie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Hey There, I’m ready to go another round but, but, but...major wedding May 19th, Rehersal Dinner all of that. Plus my son will be flying cross country to be at the events and staying with me at my house. Does it make sense to my fellow sojourners to wait a month, eat as Whole30 like as I can, then pick it up again? Your thoughts too, please @SugarcubeOD?

This entirely depends on how you want to manage the events and your son visiting.  If there are things that you and your son share (like say... a love of carrot cake and you always eat it when he visits) then you're going to want to do the reintroductions before cake day so that you know if it's going to be worth it to you.  It is not recommended to continue on the program until the day of the event you think you may not be able (or want) to stay compliant to because if say... dairy was a problem for you and you didn't know and ate a bunch on the event day, that's going to be really terrible for you.

My recommendation would be to do the reintros of those things that you think you might be eating and start to figure out what your food freedom is going to look like.  For some people that's very similar to Whole30 but they don't quiz waiters about cooking oil and sugar in ketchup is okay - that's going to help continue to bring inflammation down in your body by staying close to the plan but it's your own WholeDianne with your own rules.

Does that help at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bootsie1947 said:

Hi I started 5 days ago. No slips and beginning to see some good things happening. But here are a few things I don’t understand. I only sleep two hours then wake.usually to go to bathroom. Had to take a sleeping side to dleep

more than 2 hours as hard to function. 

I also get hiccups randomly—in am for a few minutes, sometimes I’m just sitting  and I get it.  

I love bullet coffee. FINAlly can drink black coffee. 

Min also still very tired. When will this change?

bootsie

About 8 days in, my train crew were laughing at me because I had mad hiccups...like I drank hard liquor before getting on the train. Didn't relate it to Whole since we are urged not to pin every symptom on the whole. Now I'm curious. Checking previous forums now...

Sleep changes are different for some...but the timeline is amazingly accurate. Have you checked it out?

It'll improve...hang in there. We're rooting for you.

Day 16 coming to an end...stay whole Forumers...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bootsie1947 said:

Hi I started 5 days ago. No slips and beginning to see some good things happening. But here are a few things I don’t understand. I only sleep two hours then wake.usually to go to bathroom. Had to take a sleeping side to dleep

more than 2 hours as hard to function. 

I also get hiccups randomly—in am for a few minutes, sometimes I’m just sitting  and I get it.  

I love bullet coffee. FINAlly can drink black coffee. 

Min also still very tired. When will this change?

bootsie

Hi @Bootsie1947 and welcome! You will probably see from other threads on this forum that sleep has been an issue more a number of folks beginning Whole30, me included. It looks like some point to the lower carbohydrates, so some suggest eating some of your starchy carb servings for dinner or a bit later. I have found this to be helpful too. But sleep issues are very challenging, complex and hard to fix easily. Just recommend going easy on yourself (& going easy on the full caffeine coffee too), follow the meal template, and hang in there. To me, the other benefits of Whole30 far outweigh the occasional sleep "hiccup" (sorry pun). Cheers on your Whole30!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up tired. You know what? I've let the weather stop me from walking the two miles from the train station to my job. Stopped getting off two stops early. I think the body is missing that flood of endorphins before starting the day...

Cold and/or snow or not... tomorrow... I'M WALKING...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now