4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

Bought more sweet potato, but fixed zucchini, yellow squash and Bell pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar...21 seasonings salute for flavor, alongside a chicken breast. Was good. I'm satisfied.

Tomorrow, 20, starts the countdown. But I will not be blasting off (half a pizza)...I will launch into my new life of eating. It will be official.

Exciting times now, and ahead! Goodnight Compliant Crew!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, suzannes said:

Happy Saturday  @Hope4Overcomers and all our fellow April Whole30 folks! 

Thoughts on another round of Whole30, since I'm heading in to the "final" 4th week here: 

Surprising myself... I am already planning to do another round of Whole30 in May, focusing on getting completely off of caffeine, going to 100% decaf coffee ('cause I like coffee) and herbal tea. I have cut back from my past coffee consumption (fighting chronic depression and long-time insomnia -- yeah, I know it's a vicious self-defeating cycle: coffee --> sleeplessness --> coffee... repeat). I chose not to cut out caffeine on this 1st Whole30 so wouldn't have to fight sugar AND caffeine withdrawal, a steep effort.

Also, my fire-breathing sugar dragon is still roaring and has certainly not been slain. Whole30 has helped tremendously, and as promised has helped me reset my eating and how I think about food and health. I have truly surprised myself that I've avoided sugar for 21 days already, I never thought I could do that! But the sugar-junk carb cravings are still there. I have successfully resisted during Whole30, but I want to be able to do more than just resist , I want to stop thinking about sugar-junk carbs all the time: I want food freedom. I think I should not consume any added sugar-junk-sweets for a long long time if ever, because they are so addictive and nearly impossible to control, at least for me. I want to make sure that sugary foods and junk carbs are extremely rare in my diet moving forward. So I think that another round or more of Whole30 will be helpful. 

Interested in y'all's thoughts on reintro and/or continuing Whole30 after April. 

I’m with ya again @suzannes! My Fire Breathing Sugar Dragon is still alive and roaming about. I too have resisted but the cravings and thoughts are not gone. I do feel sooo much better without it. My Dianne’s version of Whole30 before I fully jump in again may very well not contain sugar. And as we’ve learned, sugar is in just about all pre-made or processed foods. So it’s a tricky one. A girl can’t be too careful!

I’m sorry to say I turned to caffeinated tea to help me avoid the sugar. Not a smart swap. Now I too have that to conquer next time around.

Can’t wait to hear what the rest of this crazy go do it April Group has to say!

Whole30 has been very, very, good to me! :D

Be encouraged y’all! xo Dianne

Caffeine & Sugar...so powerful, so hard to resist! I. Must. Overcome.

Speaking of overcoming (ha ha see what I did there?) @Hope4Overcomers it sounds like you have a great attitude and a good plan moving forward post-Whole30. I agree completely that special treats should be happily enjoyed, if you want to and choose to, when your loved ones visit and at the wedding celebration. You will have all the Whole30 skills and experiences to guide your choices during and after the treats holiday. 

Doing another round of Whole30 versus keeping pretty darn close to Whole30 in the weeks and months to come, especially forgoing all sugar and junk triggering carbs and caffeine is a good option to consider too. This would be "riding my own bike" into the future pretty much on the Whole30 path forever, but not as strict. 

Happy Sunday and 3rd week everyone! 

As promised, here are a few of my favorite recipes.  If you are getting bored with your options, check Pinterest for Whole30 and also just google whole30 recipes. There is SO much out there!  Really, I think you could go a whole year making something different every day!

https://unboundwellness.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

https://www.mysuburbankitchen.com/paleo-chicken-zucchini-fritters/#simple-recipe

http://www.louisianabrideblog.com/2015/07/breakfast-pumpkin-custard.html

On 4/21/2018 at 1:23 PM, suzannes said:

Hey April Whole30-ers! Hope y'all are having a great weekend and a super 3rd week. Day 21 here for me. Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks, really flown by. It's been really nice to have this forum to turn to for all my questions and doubts (of which there were and still are many).

I hope everyone is doing well, staying strong and seeing/feeling positive health improvements. I definitely am, though they are subtle.

My top three benefits of Whole30:

• Food Taste Better! Seriously, without all that taste-dulling junk food/sugar, fruits and veg taste sweeter, with deeper flavor. 
  • I'm eating happily guilt-free for the first time in my adult life, everything I'm eating is good for me, nourishing, satisfying...and not fattening -- my clothes are looser. 
  • Discovering new delicious recipes and feeling pride in making all my meals from scratch -- granted I'm still making my meals in Sunday prep marathons, but even that is fun. 

What benefits and "non-scale-victories" are you awesome Whole30-ers feeling/seeing in your lives over the last 3 weeks?

Hi @suzannes great list, my top three benefits are very similar.

- Better understanding of the hidden sugars and how to look for them in food.

- Leaning how to plan and prepare delicious new recipes, we to have been having Sunday prep marathons, which makes for better choices throughout the week.

- Now that I'm over the lack of sugar drain, I feel more energized. I feel like I've accomplished a lot more over these past two weekends. 

Day 22, almost there. Feeling good to make it to the finish line. :) 

Yes. Eager to walk to train stops from my job in the morning now.

Not tempted by the huge package of Oreo's that have appeared on top of the fridge

Woke up, finally, with a TIGER this morning

No knee pain on the 40 steps from station to street

Fearlessly, politely ask for modifications or bring my own food and drink

Ready to defeat my ailments for GOOD with proper nurishment

I look to the future with renewed determination and strength...

I am cheered on by you all.

Thank you... :wub:

23rd day in counting down. Sugar craving is killing me today. Like a few of you, I will be following whole30 but not as strict. I love cooking and I love my gluten free options like bread and pancakes. I will definitely make the pumpkin custard @tutormom . I couldn't resist so I weighted myself this morning :( . Not as great as I expected (only 5 lbs), but at least I can see changes in my body. I don't think I dropped a size, but I can see that I have a waist now, which is great :).  

What is the first thing you going to introduce? I'm thinking about cream for my coffee and cheese. 

Happy 4th weekend everyone! 

Woo Hoo! Day 23! But it really doesn’t even matter any more because I’m going to carry the majority of this Whole30 Lifestyle right on into the future! Inflamation down. Feeling pretty great! Some Tiger Blood roaring around here and there. But as I said, Woo Hoo. Day 23!!

How are the rest of my all time favorite April’ers doing??? Can’t wait to hear from y’all !! Have a great Tuesday!! :D 

As always, be very, very, encouraged! xo Dianne

On 4/18/2018 at 6:15 AM, Let's Dooooo It! said:

not awaking sniffing every morning

My last whole 30 it took the full 30 days to get to this point... so I didn't get to enjoy breathing freely for very long. haha. This time I'll just keep eating compliantly as long as I can.

But I'm still here, catching up on everybody's posts. I've been visiting family and having family visiting. I usually stop by Whole Foods and buy some supplies before I get to my parents' house, but it's usually quick and compliant and not very interesting. Pretty bored with the same old - time to get back to some prep and cooking! 

Glad everybody's doing so well! Final week!

4 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Woo Hoo! Day 23! But it really doesn’t even matter any more because I’m going to carry the majority of this Whole30 Lifestyle right on into the future! Inflamation down. Feeling pretty great! Some Tiger Blood roaring around here and there. But as I said, Woo Hoo. Day 23!!

How are the rest of my all time favorite April’ers doing??? Can’t wait to hear from y’all !! Have a great Tuesday!! :D 

As always, be very, very, encouraged! xo Dianne

Hi @Hope4Overcomers, glad your feeling great!! Amazing the difference a week makes. Feeling pretty great myself, especially over the past couple days. Energy is back and I find myself not craving anything. I had it slightly on the easy side compared to my wife, she’s looking forward to some cream in her coffee. I think I bought my last nut pod this afternoon. :) (I drink coffee black)

Our Plan moving forward is to do a variation of the W30 plan with keeping sugar to a minimum. We have a bunch of trips planned over the next couple months where it will be tough to be 100% compliant. Depending how the summer goes a recharge may be required in September. :) 

We’ve come a long way! Almost there!

Pancake house

Steak house

Some function or gathering

These are the moments I may or may not partake of 'the trilogy of inflammation'. My wedding anniversary is this weekend. Personally, I no longer see that day as a 'no holds barred' day.

I cringe as I recall some past years, when we PURPOSELY bought everything horrid to consume during that weekend...and I'm not even including wine or other liquors...

Food and occasions...such a trick bag. It's about my man...not a plethora of palatable pleasures...that render me useless the next few days.

This has been an awesome journey.

I am WHOLE...

I really don't feel that tiger blood they talk about. Don't think I've lost a lot of weight either BUT I've avoided eggs and dairy. Most importantly I've been consistent and that was the biggest reason I'm doing the W30. I already have a plan for day 31. I don't think I can go back to Keto with all of the eggs and dairy. So I'm going to adjust W30 every 30 days and just work with that. I'm not in a rush. I just need to find what works for me.

• Moderators

@humanitysurvey  (and anyone else not really feeling the tiger blood) -- remember that it's not always amazing energizer bunny energy. Sometimes it's just a steady mood, not getting stressed or angry over little things like traffic or something a family member says. Or it might be that you look around and realize that even though you don't feel like you're super energetic, you got the dishes washed, and food prepped for the next day, and laundry done, where before you'd have done maybe one of those things, and then sat on the couch for the rest of the evening until it was time for bed. It can be different for everyone, and non-food stuff can affect it to -- so people with chronic medical conditions, or who are currently under more stress than usual, or who have young children that keep them from getting enough sleep, will not have the same experience as someone who is mostly healthy and can prioritize 8 hours of sleep a night and doesn't have a stressful job or family issues to deal with.  Hopefully you've experienced some kind of improvement in either mood or energy, but if not, it might still happen. Just try not to miss any improvements you might have by focusing on what you haven't seen happen.

As far as weight, during my first Whole30 I was convinced I was not losing, and maybe even gaining, right up until the very end, and then got on the scale and lost seven or eight pounds. Sometimes that's how it works. I don't know if I really wasn't losing or if it just felt that way, but just relax and see what happens at the end of the month. 

I'm on Day 22 and planning my reintroduction. I made a list of the things I really miss, like cheese and rice, and the things that I want to know about asap because they are in everything, like soy and corn, and now I'm deciding in what order I want to bring things back. I love to plan so I am having fun - it's like a puzzle!

I am day 23 and already looking at day 31. I already know that grains give me knee issues, as does soy, too much sugar gives me a migraine (duh...), And pasta puts me in a coma...from PREVIOUS wholes...

The closer I get, the more convinced that I will just stay away from these things.

Insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Enough. Come on. Taste buds rule no more...

I was literally typing this morning rolling into the stop I get off to walk. Thanks for being here to reach out to. I hit send, grabbed my stuff and literally jumped off the train.

I really want to get some good walking in on the countdown... since we're all fat burning machines now!!!

Five days to go!  Or maybe 6.  I will have blood work next Tues or Wed, and I can't wait to see the results. I do hope it's good news.

After a very good week, when I was feeling like I could do this forever, I'm having a bit of a hard time tonight.  Everything in my facebook feed is FOOD! I really want a brownie!  I'm also ready to relax with a glass of wine.  Guess I'll have to settle for "whine" instead. ;-)

On the bright side, I have discovered so many tasty & filling recipes that don't involve grains, sugar, or dairy!  I am fairly certain that this Whole30 adventure will change the choices I make for a long time.  And I know I'll be better for having done this.

Just PLEASE post lots of encouragement for the next few days!  We've made it this far ~ we can DO this! Right?!?

@tutormom, please.

You've had this, you had this, you got this. B)

It's the brain. As has been said, some of us (I have my hand raised) may have spent YEARS eating the way we "DID" before the whole. We have accomplished the unbelievable in a few weeks... believable only because we're LIVING it.

Advertising companies spend crazy money for seconds of advertising... because they know that pics WORK. See a hamburger...WANT a hamburger.

Hey... drastic times (last days of whole) may call for drastic measures...

Only YOU can prevent forest fires. ;)

HEY!!!????!!!

YOU GOT THIS.

LET'S DOOOOO THIS!!!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, tutormom said:

After a very good week, when I was feeling like I could do this forever, I'm having a bit of a hard time tonight.  Everything in my facebook feed is FOOD! I really want a brownie!  I'm also ready to relax with a glass of wine.  Guess I'll have to settle for "whine" instead. ;-)

There's a thing called extinction burst -- it's your body's last-ditch effort to get you to eat all the things. The second question in this Dear Melissa post talks about it some:  https://whole30.com/2013/07/dear-melissa-cooking-for-two-and-day-ten-tantrums/ -- it talks about it happening around day 10, but it can happen any time. You're also at about the point when food boredom kicks in for a lot of people (see the timeline: https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/) so that may be contributing to this too. And those Facebook posts of the different food pictures and videos don't help either. 

Hang in there, you're so close to the finish line right now -- you can do it!

Archived