4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

Hello Every!!

I'm not quite at the end, I'm going until May 15th because of a slip and I want to stay Whole30 while are doing a weight loss challenge at work. Whole30 has been an amazing experience for me! The number one benefit is that I cooked all except one meal for myself the entire month of April. That is a miracle. I spent way too much money, purchased new cookware, a spiralizer, an Instant Pot, dusted off my food processor. (I am determined to make the perfect beet chip. I doubled my grocery bill but I slashed my eating out bill. My son is addicted to breakfast egg muffins, I love them too, because it's hard for me to eat boiled eggs, I had to come up with a plan to eat eggs on the go.  I also joined Real Plans, game changer for me.  Whole30 stopped my crazy snacking at night. That was huge! 

The first thing I want to add back is some type of powdered protein because I workout a lot, and I need to be able to have fast protein when I'm on the run. I found out that Dr. Axe has a bone broth protein that is expensive, but it's a very healthy way to get protein. I also discovered adding beet powder to the protein as a fast way to add a healthy carb post workout. I could also roast beets and add them to a smoothie if I have more time.  

I plan to read some of the Whole30 books and do another Whole30 in the future. I felt a little rushed going into this Whole30.  I plan to stay Paleo-ish because I want to fight inflammation. I think it's the best option. The only thing I really want to add back is legumes, and a very limited amount of grains, very slowly. (Beans and rice will help my food budget! )  

Sorry I wasn't more active on the forum, but I was spending so much time in the kitchen, I am getting a little more efficient with my cooking now too!  I lost 10 lbs so far!! 

Great journey!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning @AtlantaJJ! I’ll be going along with you, with a bit of reintroduction during a family wedding wedding and my son’s visit from out of state, mid June-ish. I plan on going more vegetarian but I too fight inflamation, in fact I have two of those bone broth’s in my cupboard now! And I still have more meat left. I eat eggs daily too. 

It has been a real change for me to cook 3 meals a day too! I did purchase two salads with chicken, but other than that I cooked. Wow, a new and improved me!

ill see ya on the forum! Keep posting! Loved hearing from you!

Be encouraged! xo Dianne

WARNING! - take reintroduction Slow & Steady!  I made a big mistake today, and now I don't feel so good. =(

My women's Bible study just finished reading the book of Esther, so i decided to bring in some Purim-themed food to share.  I made Hamantaschen cookies ~ a thin crust of flour/sugar/butter/egg wrapped around a sugary filling (I made apricot).  So there's THREE of the re-intro foods: SUGAR, Dairy, and wheat.  I thought, "I'll just eat one, then pass out the rest."

Well, I found my "food with no brakes" today: Hamantaschen!  I've eaten at least 5 cookies; just couldn't stop, they were so yummy!  But now I totally regret it.  Too much too soon. My throat hurts, I have a headache, and I feel very flighty.  Something in there was NOT good for me!  I will now retreat back to Day 30 and start the end slowly, in the right order.  

On a POSITIVE note: my bloodwork is back (except the full lipid profile), and my CRP is only 0.4 ~ very low risk.  I've never had that test done before so I don't have numbers to compare, but as to inflammation in my system, it looks like I'm in good shape!  I think the Whole30 probably made a difference.  

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Senator said:

Day 29 and I am debating whether to go 40 or 45.

For what purpose? We normally recommend people do 30 and then work on reintroductions. Do you have any auto-immune health concerns that would warrant an extension before reintro? This happens from time to time and is recommended normally then that folks do 60 days.

15 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

For what purpose? We normally recommend people do 30 and then work on reintroductions. Do you have any auto-immune health concerns that would warrant an extension before reintro? This happens from time to time and is recommended normally then that folks do 60 days.

I am planning to longer because my eczema has cleared up about 90% since I started the Whole30. I am considering continuing until I can go to an allergist. I'm not sure that I am ready to start re-introduction. 

27 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I have a host of autoimmune diseases that have put me on Disability. Clearly inflation is the major issue. But I plan some reintroductions, on a limited basis and going towards my normal bend, which is vegetarian, so a modified Vegetarian Whole30 with eggs and some seafood.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Senator said:

Both to help the new habits stick and, candidly, to continue the weight loss (I'm down four belt hook positions).

Hi @Senator - not to mince words, but these are reasons we actually really don't recommend that folks extend. The reason is that the reintroduction is so important and the point of this is for you to find what works for you and to continue along your health and wellness (and weight loss) journey with a plan that is specifically tailored to you, by you. Maybe your "WholeSenator" plan is very very similar to Whole30 but we really encourage people to find that plan and start work on it. It might feel safer and more productive to stay here but the truth is that this is not "your" plan. You need to find what works for you and internalize your own rules. Come back to us every 6-8 months/once a year or so if needed to freshen up, but really, this is your game now! :) 

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, AtlantaJJ said:

I am planning to longer because my eczema has cleared up about 90% since I started the Whole30. I am considering continuing until I can go to an allergist. I'm not sure that I am ready to start re-introduction. 

I suffer from it as well (and am currently in a horrible flare up caused by.......mangos). For me, once I stop eating the offender, it will take 14-21 days for the injured skin to clear up. The sucky thing about eczema is that a reintroduction of the one thing for a day (eg, dairy, gluten etc) isn't probably going to flare it up. You can probably count on doing a much longer, slower intro to eventually find all your triggers. Mine are dairy and acidifying fruits like strawberries, mango, kiwi, tomato etc. But only when I over-consume.  One mango shared w/ my husband = good. A whole mango to myself every night for a week = v v bad.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

The reason is that the reintroduction is so important and the point of this is for you to find what works for you and to continue along your health and wellness (and weight loss) journey with a plan that is specifically tailored to you, by you. Maybe your "WholeSenator" plan is very very similar to Whole30 but we really encourage people to find that plan and start work on it. It might feel safer and more productive to stay here but the truth is that this is not "your" plan. You need to find what works for you and internalize your own rules. Come back to us every 6-8 months/once a year or so if needed to freshen up, but really, this is your game now! :) 

THANK YOU for this! I have been panicking over what happens after Day 30... It’s technically Day 32 for me, but I keep saying, just one more day. It DOES feel safer to stay here... But that’s not the point!! I just kept waiting for someone to tell me what to do... But I need to figure it out for myself and find my WholeKira. I mean I “knew” this, but reading this - it finally clicked. Sitting down to make my own reintroduction schedule now. 

All done!! I lost 7.2 pounds - a nice amount for 30 days. I'm reading up on the Paleo AIP (auto-immune protocol) and I will be transitioning to that from the W30 gradually. Eventually I will reintroduce things!

I can honestly say that even though some things are not better (skin) and some are worse (bathroom issues), I do have more energy and less pain. That is HUGE for me!!

46 minutes ago, LizaQ said:

All done!! I lost 7.2 pounds - a nice amount for 30 days. I'm reading up on the Paleo AIP (auto-immune protocol) and I will be transitioning to that from the W30 gradually. Eventually I will reintroduce things!

I can honestly say that even though some things are not better (skin) and some are worse (bathroom issues), I do have more energy and less pain. That is HUGE for me!!

Great job!

I decided to do a "Whole40."

My weigh in today revealed that I lost 20.8 pounds over the last 30 days.

I was shocked! I am going to push on to day 40 and make a decision from there.

Thank you all for the encouraging words over the past month.

1 hour ago, LizaQ said:

Lisa, I'm very interested in the AIP Paleo, I think you have to give up night shades on this one. I love tomato sauce!! :mellow:

Great job on the weight loss!!  

1 minute ago, AtlantaJJ said:

Lisa, I'm very interested in the AIP Paleo, I think you have to give up night shades on this one. I love tomato sauce!! :mellow:

Great job on the weight loss!!  

I have a post in the Reintroduction section where I'm talking about what to give up... but since I've decided not to do reintroduction now, I doubt I'l keep updating there. I plan to keep up with my W30 log post daily, if you want to follow what I'm eating/not eating, and my symptoms. It's very TMI and not that exciting but after a few more weeks I hope to see some improvement. I mean - how can I give up tomatoes and peppers, not to mention guacamole and onions without some tangible benefit to look forward to!

I'm researching at The Paleo Mom site and her book is on my Amazon list to get!

Archived