4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finishing up on day 6 and I am starting to feel a little more confident.  Have gone through the headaches and being tired.  Less bloated and looking forward to the energy hopefully starting soon.  Went shopping on Saturday (a two hour adventure - don't think my husband will ever go grocery shopping with me again!)  Very eye opening experience as to that sugar (or some form of it) is in like EVERYTHING......I am much more prepared with meal planning for the week.  Made the beef brisket (pg. 214 - Whole30 book) today in the slow cooker.  Smelled awesome and tasted just as good.  Threw some carrots in along with the onion to have more veggies.

Anyone have their favorite "go to" recipe in the Whole30 book?  Do you make any substitutions to add to the recipe or to give it more flavor?

Wishing everyone a good week - we can do this. 

Oh my goodness, you guys!  Zoodles!!!

Last week I was lax on getting my vegetables so that's what I'm focusing on this week.  I made some butternut squash zoodles with meatballs and pasta sauce, it was delicious!  It wasn't Pasta Carbonera or anything, but it was a very tasty, fun way to get some veggies into my meal.  I am going to spiralize all the vegetables!

Hi everyone, I just discovered this thread. I'm newbie and just started the whole30 on 04/02. Eighth day today and so far so good. The only thing I really miss is my coffee with half and half. :( I have been using Nutpods but it is not the same, looking forward to my creamy coffee again. Had some headaches, light head, but yesterday my mood went to the roof. I just was so mad at my husband and kids for nothing. Then I read that it is the hormones kicking in. Anyways, looking forward to exchange experiences here. 

• Administrators
Just now, ale-maia said:

Hi everyone, I just discovered this thread. I'm newbie and just started the whole30 on 04/02. Eighth day today and so far so good. The only thing I really miss is my coffee with half and half. :( I have been using Nutpods but it is not the same, looking forward to my creamy coffee again. Had some headaches, light head, but yesterday my mood went to the roof. I just was so mad at my husband and kids for nothing. Then I read that it is the hormones kicking in. Anyways, looking forward to exchange experiences here. 

Might be fun for you to have a read of the Whole30 Timeline. :) You'll feel better soon, just keep going! 

16 hours ago, IcanIwill30 said:

Finishing up on day 6 and I am starting to feel a little more confident.  Have gone through the headaches and being tired.  Less bloated and looking forward to the energy hopefully starting soon.  Went shopping on Saturday (a two hour adventure - don't think my husband will ever go grocery shopping with me again!)  Very eye opening experience as to that sugar (or some form of it) is in like EVERYTHING......I am much more prepared with meal planning for the week.  Made the beef brisket (pg. 214 - Whole30 book) today in the slow cooker.  Smelled awesome and tasted just as good.  Threw some carrots in along with the onion to have more veggies.

Anyone have their favorite "go to" recipe in the Whole30 book?  Do you make any substitutions to add to the recipe or to give it more flavor?

Wishing everyone a good week - we can do this. 

Our favorite from the book so far has to be the Stuffed Peppers. We made them again yesterday for this week. Substitutions included; spinach for kale, zucchini and yellow squash for the butternut squash, dice tomatoes instead of the paste, and added cauliflower rice to the meat / vegetables after they were cooked. We noticed this time that most of our substitutions were noted in the book with the recipe. 

We made it through the first Weekend!! Hooray!! Nice going everybody. 

Our big plan for Saturday was to stay out of the house most of the day, with grocery shopping later in the afternoon. Grocery shopping went a lot quicker this time, less ingredient reading. 

Sunday meal prepping for the week took up most of the afternoon. Meals include: Sheppard pie, stuffed peppers, chicken and salad. Also made guacamole, chicken salad, clarified some butter, baked some bacon and had a failed at a attempt of making mayo. (some other meals won't require any prep)

Energy for exercising came back on Sunday, not as wore out as I was through the week.

Overall we came through the weekend feeling pretty good, looking forward to week 2!!

14 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Our favorite from the book so far has to be the Stuffed Peppers. We made them again yesterday for this week. Substitutions included; spinach for kale, zucchini and yellow squash for the butternut squash, dice tomatoes instead of the paste, and added cauliflower rice to the meat / vegetables after they were cooked. We noticed this time that most of our substitutions were noted in the book with the recipe. 

Thanks @DaveK. for you quick response.  I hear that the stuffed peppers is fantastic.  Will have to give it a try!

Howdy all! Yup...dreams...wicked! Cheese and various sweet treats!!! Never been so happy to awaken and find it unreal!

Had an outing yesterday at a steakhouse. Ended up with plain salmon, plain baked potato and lettuce with a few pieces of tomato for a salad. I watched my fellow dining group partake of grains, dairy and added sugar, thinking to myself 'mm mm mm...they will wonder later why they don't feel as good as I do RIGHT NOW'. 

Went up the stairs to our home with no pain in the knees last night.

Bread from the basket??? No...I'm good... B)

One week down, 3 to go, y'all!!!  My first week wasn't so bad, but last night, I wanted wine & crackers SO Badly!  My husband & I are retired educators who just sent our baby off to college last fall - so also empty-nesters.  Our evenings are usually spent watching Netflix or PBS.  We love British mysteries, dramas, & comedies.  And of course they feature people drinking beer or wine in every other scene!  I used to pour myself a glass to sip along as we watched.  But now I have cinnamon tea.  Still not adjusting well to that change.  It's just a habit that I savor and miss.

On the up-side, I made THE most delicious dish today for lunch:  Eggroll-in-a-bowl:  https://unboundwellness.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

Hope I'm allowed to share the recipe.  I highly recommend it!  I used ground turkey because I couldn't find ground pork, but it was wonderful.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, tutormom said:

On the up-side, I made THE most delicious dish today for lunch:  Eggroll-in-a-bowl:  https://unboundwellness.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

Hope I'm allowed to share the recipe.  I highly recommend it!  I used ground turkey because I couldn't find ground pork, but it was wonderful.  Enjoy!

This sound delicious...but my daughter is allergic to coconut. But share lots of recipes please - I love to get ideas!

7 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

Last week I was lax on getting my vegetables so that's what I'm focusing on this week.  I made some butternut squash zoodles with meatballs and pasta sauce, it was delicious!  It wasn't Pasta Carbonera or anything, but it was a very tasty, fun way to get some veggies into my meal.  I am going to spiralize all the vegetables!

I'm focusing on vegetables also this week. I didn't do such a good job today. Don't get me wrong. I ate veggies today but I need more. Maybe I'll do a big salad for dinner.

First week went well. I had cravings but nothing too bad. Yesterday I was just really tired. I kept falling to sleep while watching tv. Today seems to be better. I find that after meals 1 & 2, I'm not really that hungry for meal 3. Almost like I'm good with just a snack. I ate at 10:30am, 3:30pm and it's 7pm and I still haven't eaten meal 3 yet.

Hi There Everybody!

Day 8 and I’m doing great! I made it through my conference and was not sick the next day from eating the wrong foods and resulting side effects and inflammation! This is major for me! I even was up and about doing chores the majority if the next day and exercised! Obviously my energy is increasing and my sickness is decreasing!

I have been extra hungry today between meals and still have some cravings. Not super bad but enough that I notice. My planning last week paid off in that I have the supplies I really need and meals I can plan and prepare for. I’d like to go through my recipes and find some new ideas for my next expedition. I have a new Instant Pot too, that my best friend sent me. I’m anxious to find recipes that appeal to me and try it out.

My experienced Whole30 friend who suggested I get a good quality B100 Complex must have been right because my energy has improved ever since.

How is everyone else doing! I love hearing about you and getting suggestions, picking up on your ideas and successes!

Be encouraged!

Dianne

8 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

I'm right there with you @bigmamabird My new favorite Whole30 dinner: Spiralized Zucchini Turkey Bolognese. Holy Smokes this is delicious! I've been missing pasta and wow does this hit the spot. So good. and even better than flour pasta in my opinion. I added a few handfuls of spinach and arugula for extra veggie goodness and sauteed the noodles in a bit of coconut oil. Spiralized Zucchini Turkey Bolognese where have you been all my life?! Well I'm off to the races now with zoodle pasta everything.  https://inspiralized.com/turkey-bolognese-with-zucchini-noodles/   

So, winding down day 9 here, and still going pretty strong I think.

However, if my tired body could start burning fat for fuel soon, that would be great, thanks. Sleep has been pretty crappy and I think it's partly due to my body and brain missing all those sweet sweet junk carbs I was eating before, and my system hasn't adjusted yet. When I get my energy back up I'll know I've turned the corner carb vs fat burning. That will be a happy day. 

Hope all y'all are still doing great on your Whole30 too. I love having this forum for tips, support and accountability. It helps a lot. 

On 4/8/2018 at 12:08 PM, Cjcheck said:

I started on April 1 and could use an accountability partner 

Hey @Cjcheck and welcome aboard! I think by jumping onto this forum you've just gained a bunch of accountability (and support!) partners. I also started on April 1 Easter Sunday. So today is Day 9 for both of us.  The forum and many of the threads are super helpful. Whenever I have a question, I search the website and forums and nearly always find the info I need. Lots of great tips here too from folks who have done 1 or more Whole30s. Three cheers for your Whole30 journey!

8 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Howdy all! Yup...dreams...wicked! Cheese and various sweet treats!!! Never been so happy to awaken and find it unreal!

Had an outing yesterday at a steakhouse. Ended up with plain salmon, plain baked potato and lettuce with a few pieces of tomato for a salad. I watched my fellow dining group partake of grains, dairy and added sugar, thinking to myself 'mm mm mm...they will wonder later why they don't feel as good as I do RIGHT NOW'. 

Went up the stairs to our home with no pain in the knees last night.

Bread from the basket??? No...I'm good... B)

Well done (no pun intended)! Seriously, eating out on Whole30 with non-Whole30 folks is challenging. You did awesome. I have a similar challenge coming up later this week. 

Okay, I’m awake hungry again. 2:00 am.  I hate that feeling, trying to ignore it. Water. I’ll drink water. How are others getting through hunger spells? I’m making sure my meals are complete and large enough. Favorite snacks for when you absolutely must????

xo Dianne

2 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Okay, I’m awake hungry again. 2:00 am.  I hate that feeling, trying to ignore it. Water. I’ll drink water. How are others getting through hunger spells? I’m making sure my meals are complete and large enough. Favorite snacks for when you absolutely must????

xo Dianne

Snacks are tough @Hope4Overcomers, my go to is nuts. Walnut and pistachio. But I’m trying to limit due to fat content, especially with avocado in the diet. 

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Snacks are tough @Hope4Overcomers, my go to is nuts. Walnut and pistachio. But I’m trying to limit due to fat content, especially with avocado in the diet. 

Thanks @Dave K! Even if I’d did have avocado yesterday, I should have gone for a few nuts! Nuts! LOL! Thanks again for your suggestion and reply! Dianne

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

On day 9 today.  First week wasn't too bad, just mild headache and missing my cream in my coffee and plain greek yogurt for breakfast!  But this week headaches everyday on and off and worse in the evening and morning.  Also, my knee and hip joints started to ache.    Any ideas?

12 hours ago, suzannes said:

Hey @Cjcheck and welcome aboard! I think by jumping onto this forum you've just gained a bunch of accountability (and support!) partners. I also started on April 1 Easter Sunday. So today is Day 9 for both of us.  The forum and many of the threads are super helpful. Whenever I have a question, I search the website and forums and nearly always find the info I need. Lots of great tips here too from folks who have done 1 or more Whole30s. Three cheers for your Whole30 journey!

Welcome @Cjcheck! Lots of accountability partners here! We are so glad you’ve joined us! This is a very positive and responsive group! Again, welcome! How is it going for you so far?? xo Dianne

Archived