4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2018 at 3:33 AM, Hope4Overcomers said:

Okay, I’m awake hungry again. 2:00 am.  I hate that feeling, trying to ignore it. Water. I’ll drink water. How are others getting through hunger spells? I’m making sure my meals are complete and large enough. Favorite snacks for when you absolutely must????

xo Dianne

I am on an avocado kick right now. Half. With sweet potato. Fish or chicken as the protein.  I wake up at night, but not hungry. Just because of, as I've read, hormone regulation. I agree. Eat. And are you having a snack before bed? (Dense Carby sweet potato...yum...) Just for a few nights...Would that carry you through the night? Just until everything balances out...

My Mom made birthday dinner for my husband.  Her amazingly delicious tacos and brownies with ice cream and hot fudge sauce.  I made a salad out of the taco fixings and was doing great .... till the hot fudge came out.  It smelled so divine!  And I had to help put dessert together for the kids so I had a vat of molten chocolate right there in my hands.  It was rough, but I did it!  There's no way I could have passed on it before Whole30.  I have so little self-control when I'm not on plan.  I feel completely helpless against my cravings.  But Whole30 is helping me learn strength.  I don't have to eat something just because there.

9 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Yes on the energy dip. Woke up this morning drained like WHAAAAT HAAAPPENED???

Cranky as well...then read day 10 in day by day...I am blown away at the accuracy of the timeline...this too shall pass...

@Let's Dooooo It! Yes, it is pretty funny how accurate the timeline is, at least energy-wise, for me. Up through about Day 11, I had been really dragging, slogging through my morning workouts. But lo and behold, Day 12 dawned today and I felt noticeably better, and my morning workout felt nearly normal again, hard but not ridiculously grueling. Hooray! Definitely have more energy today, and I'm very very glad. Hope your energy rebounds again soon too. Cheers!

8 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I am on an avocado kick right now. Half. With sweet potato. Fish or chicken as the protein.  I wake up at night, but not hungry. Just because of, as I've read, hormone regulation. I agree. Eat. And are you having a snack before bed? (Dense Carby sweet potato...yum...) Just for a few nights...Would that carry you through the night? Just until everything balances out...

Thank you for the excellent suggestion and ideas! You too , be encouraged! Dianne

8 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

My Mom made birthday dinner for my husband.  Her amazingly delicious tacos and brownies with ice cream and hot fudge sauce.  I made a salad out of the taco fixings and was doing great .... till the hot fudge came out.  It smelled so divine!  And I had to help put dessert together for the kids so I had a vat of molten chocolate right there in my hands.  It was rough, but I did it!  There's no way I could have passed on it before Whole30.  I have so little self-control when I'm not on plan.  I feel completely helpless against my cravings.  But Whole30 is helping me learn strength.  I don't have to eat something just because there.

YES YES YES

This is honestly my biggest goal. Proving to myself that I have the strength to choose what I eat and that I have control over what I eat (and how much!). I thought I was kind of nuts, but you said it perfectly. I’m so relieved to hear it from someone else. Thank you!! 

23 minutes ago, bigmamabird said:

I tried a Blueberry RXBar.  Blech!!!! 

One bite and I tossed the rest!  It had the weirdest chemically taste even though there isn't anything artificial in there.  And it got stuck all over my teeth.  A completely unpleasant experience all around!  

That's just how I felt about yesterday's Lara Bar, Cherry Pie flavor. Ewwwww. Lara says there are only 3 ingredients and one is unsweetened cherries, but that is NOT what it tastes like!  I like their other flavors, but this one was a bomb.

15 hours ago, suzannes said:

@Let's Dooooo It! Yes, it is pretty funny how accurate the timeline is, at least energy-wise, for me. Up through about Day 11, I had been really dragging, slogging through my morning workouts. But lo and behold, Day 12 dawned today and I felt noticeably better, and my morning workout felt nearly normal again, hard but not ridiculously grueling. Hooray! Definitely have more energy today, and I'm very very glad. Hope your energy rebounds again soon too. Cheers!

I KNOW!!! I am day 11...but so far, I COULD HELP LIFT HEAVY FURNITURE!

No...not available for moves today. :D

7 hours ago, Kiralyn D said:

YES YES YES

This is honestly my biggest goal. Proving to myself that I have the strength to choose what I eat and that I have control over what I eat (and how much!). I thought I was kind of nuts, but you said it perfectly. I’m so relieved to hear it from someone else. Thank you!! 

We are TOTALLY led by peer pressure sometimes. Diabetics (and other ailing ones) partaking of foods they KNOW they ought not, just to not make waves...to fit in... then suffer the consequences later. Insanity. You don't see the peer pressure until something like the Whole gives you...ahem...food freedom...

3 hours ago, LizaQ said:

NSV - I tried on a pair of jeans that were too tight two weeks ago and I couldn't wear them. Today they are still a little tight - but they button easily! Day 10 and rocking it!!!

YEEEEEESSSS... Friday is jeans day. Same. Wore button jeans that were a bit uncomfortable two weeks ago. Tried them on today...LOOSE...but not quite loose enough.

Next week...they will be ROCKED... correctly. B)

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

I tried a Blueberry RXBar.  Blech!!!! 

One bite and I tossed the rest!  It had the weirdest chemically taste even though there isn't anything artificial in there.  And it got stuck all over my teeth.  A completely unpleasant experience all around!  

I find RX bars disgustingly sticky in a way I cannot get over no matter how hungry I am... 

Well... successfully made it through TWO rounds of one of my chunks of kryptonite: pizza for lunch, and watching husband eat pizza for dinner.

I HAVE subsisted on pizza. I have made my OWN pizza out of desperation (tasted GREAT to me...)

Today I wanted to get a T-SHIRT made: NSV IN YOUR FACE!!! 

Was not tempted. Not even slightly...And when the realization hit me...I confess, there is an NSV dance... it's not pretty...:unsure: B)

57 minutes ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

Well... successfully made it through TWO rounds of one of my chunks of kryptonite: pizza for lunch, and watching husband eat pizza for dinner.

I HAVE subsisted on pizza. I have made my OWN pizza out of desperation (tasted GREAT to me...)

Today I wanted to get a T-SHIRT made: NSV IN YOUR FACE!!! 

Was not tempted. Not even slightly...And when the realization hit me...I confess, there is an NSV dance... it's not pretty...:unsure: B)

My husband ordered himself a pizza a few nights ago and I made him eat it in the basement. Alone. (It may have been during the “Kill All the Things” stage of the calendar...) 

1 hour ago, Kiralyn D said:

My husband ordered himself a pizza a few nights ago and I made him eat it in the basement.

My last whole 30 my husband made 3 batches of cookies (choc chip, oatmeal, and snickerdoodle), a pan of brownies and a layer cake with icing... just to have around and eat! Ugh... but I am getting pretty good at the will power thing :rolleyes:. So far this time it's just been a giant batch of brownies... but his birthday is Tuesday so there will be a cake.

I'm visiting my parents this weekend. They used to give me grief about Whole30 because they are really into feeding people but now they are used to the drill. My mom even poached a chicken breast for me so I could have something for lunch when I got there. But dinner tonight was challenging. My brother and his family and my sister and hers were all at my parents house and there were several of the big bottles of craft IPAs being shared (I love IPA!). I made sure there was plenty of sparkling water for me!

@dnewc It’s tough! During this 30 days we have several out of town family members coming to stay with us on 2 separate weekends, an anniversary, and my birthday. Part of me wishes I had waited to start until next month... But I know if I can make it through this, I can make it through anything!! Luckily family has been really supportive. 

1 hour ago, Kiralyn D said:

@dnewc It’s tough! During this 30 days we have several out of town family members coming to stay with us on 2 separate weekends, an anniversary, and my birthday. Part of me wishes I had waited to start until next month... But I know if I can make it through this, I can make it through anything!! Luckily family has been really supportive. 

Tough month, a lot of extra planning. Birthday celebration Day 31!!! :) 

Day 13... 2nd weekend. Sticking with the plan, Get away from the house. Hike planned for this morning then a trip to the grocery store. 

Last night was a little tough, thinking about closing the work week off with a drink, bad habit trying to break, as the book suggested found something else to do. 

The children, visiting this weekend, came home to an empty refrigerator and pantry.... supportive, but kept looking for a snack. :) 

Energy bounced back this week,Morning runs are back to normal, energy wise, and not as tired throughout the day. 

My wife is still a little sluggish, hoping to break through that feeling this weekend. 

Good luck!!! Almost halfway there!! 

Day 13 Here too and doing great! Some days sluggish, mostly not though. I keep finding more interesting things to eat that I enjoy and are Whole30 approved. Monday will be tough. I have to bring the dessert, yes, make one, to a luncheon potluck. I don’t plan on eating anything at the potluck. Knowing this group nothing will even approach Whole30 approved. I’m the only one bringing dessert, so I can’t pull off the bring fruit with this totally unhealthy crowd. I do still have cravings but move on. Started exercising again on Whole30 last week.

How is everyone else doing????

Be encouraged,

Dianne

On 4/3/2018 at 8:47 AM, Dave K said:

Day 1 for me was approved tuna and mayo, salad with a variety of vegetables and banana for fruit. For my wife, still searching for a dressing, not a fan of a vinegar / vinaigrette, opted to make a pot of chicken / vegetable soup over the weekend. She went with an approved broth over the weekend, but next weekend we will probable make the broth using a 4-5lb chicken as indicated in the book, the chicken would be for lunches through the week. Today I went for soup / salad combination with a fruit mix of blackberries/strawberries/fresh mint. The rest of the week will be a combination of chicken breast / vegetable, maybe chicken salad / bacon / salad, and tuna /salad again. The plan later tonight is to make a ranch dressing. Good Luck!!

@Dave K even though I’m not part of your group I’ve been reading some of your comments and it’s great that you all have great enthusiasm. Regarding your dressing issue of not having found one that’s Whole30 approved, try Primal Kitchen dressings or mayo.  Whole sisters have a recipe for Ranch dressing which is addictive as well as one for mayo. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

22 hours ago, Let's Dooooo It! said:

I KNOW!!! I am day 11...but so far, I COULD HELP LIFT HEAVY FURNITURE!

No...not available for moves today. :D

Funny! I'm not supergirl yet (tho I haven't tried lifting a couch lately, so who knows!) but I have much more of my energy and happier mood back, so I'm very happy here on Day 14. The first week and a half were not much fun, but I got through it (thanks in large part to this forum and the awesome Whole30-ers here!). You sound like you are doing great too - so cheers to you and hope you have a fun, healthy weekend. 

4 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Day 13 Here too and doing great! Some days sluggish, mostly not though. I keep finding more interesting things to eat that I enjoy and are Whole30 approved. Monday will be tough. I have to bring the dessert, yes, make one, to a luncheon potluck. I don’t plan on eating anything at the potluck. Knowing this group nothing will even approach Whole30 approved. I’m the only one bringing dessert, so I can’t pull off the bring fruit with this totally unhealthy crowd. I do still have cravings but move on. Started exercising again on Whole30 last week.

How is everyone else doing????

Be encouraged,

Dianne

Great job so far @Hope4Overcomers and stay strong and positive at the potluck. I had an after work function last night that was nonstop pizza beer and wine. Soooo, sparkling water with lemon for me. I still had a great time with all my colleagues though, so I call that a success. Yes, I do miss beer and wine, but I had to give that up earlier before Whole30 for other reasons. Oh well. I'd much rather enjoy good friends than unhealthy food, hands down. I hope it's the same for you at your potluck with friends, focusing on the company, not on the tempting goodies. I know you'll do great since you've been doing so well, and you seem like such a positive, committed person. (And thanks again for being such a cheerful, encouraging presence on this forum and thread, I really appreciate all your input.) Cheers and have a fabulous weekend!

Archived