4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

On 4/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, Kiralyn D said:

Thanks, @Dave K. I guess that's part of the problem - I haven't found any veggies that aren't just weird for me to eat so early in the morning (and don't require a lot of time)... I'll try folding some in with the eggs tomorrow. 

@Kiralyn DRight now there are a bunch of bell peppers for good prices available in my local grocery store and fruit and veggie vendor, so I have been stocking up and slicing them up. I usually do a grab and go breakfast of some cold egg "muffins" (eggs, onions, greens, ground meat), bell peppers and maybe a piece of fruit or cut up strawberries. The combo of the greens in the eggs and the bell peppers gets my veggies in in the morning, and the peppers are sweet and cold enough to not be weird to me in the morning.  I've also tried it with cucumbers, carrots and cherry tomatoes to good success.

@Bootsie1947 I am still having sleep problems, and I just finished day 18. Not sure what your schedule is like, but perhaps it's not completely whole30 related? I have a lot of stress at work, and I think that's a serious contributor. Plus, there's the whole don't get sleep, be tired, drink caffeine, can't go to sleep early cycle that I sometimes fall into.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

Day 18 down.

I seem to be in a bit of a food rut.  I'm cycling through the same few meals.  Right now its not a problem, I'm not bored with it yet, but I need to change it up a bit before I do get bored.

I hear ya, @bigmamabird!  I was getting seriously bored - almost depressed - with my food choices last week.  But I have some really great recipes to share, which I will get to later.  Stay tuned!

Right now I have a pressing question about Coconut Cream ~ How long does this last in the frig before it goes horribly wrong???  I had some set aside for various dishes, and today I tried to top my breakfast casserole with a dollop of it.  It SMELLED fine, as far as I could tell, but OH MY GOODNESS - the TASTE was very rancid!  I had to toss my serving. Very sad!  I don't seem to be using up the Coconut milk or cream quickly enough to justify opening a can.  ANY SUGGESTIONS???  

13 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

Day 18 down.

I seem to be in a bit of a food rut.  I'm cycling through the same few meals.  Right now its not a problem, I'm not bored with it yet, but I need to change it up a bit before I do get bored.

Same here... the safe/easy plan would be to head into next week carrying over most of the meals we've been cooking. I was also thinking it's time to mix it up. We do a lot of diced chicken, one meal i think i'm planning  is adding chicken to the stir-fried cauliflower rice that @suzannes posted previously. I plan on doing a little searching this weekend.

Jalapeño pepper soaked in vinegar...on JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING at some point in the week...from omelets to chicken to fish.  A spicy kick gets me through...mustard, peppers and hot sauce do it for me.  But I'm weird.  I'm the girl that LIKES liver Brussel sprouts and black licorice...the latter, of course, which has not been consumed for quite a bit BEFORE the Whole...

19 hours ago, Roonster said:

@Kiralyn DRight now there are a bunch of bell peppers for good prices available in my local grocery store and fruit and veggie vendor, so I have been stocking up and slicing them up. I usually do a grab and go breakfast of some cold egg "muffins" (eggs, onions, greens, ground meat), bell peppers and maybe a piece of fruit or cut up strawberries. The combo of the greens in the eggs and the bell peppers gets my veggies in in the morning, and the peppers are sweet and cold enough to not be weird to me in the morning.  I've also tried it with cucumbers, carrots and cherry tomatoes to good success.

@Bootsie1947 I am still having sleep problems, and I just finished day 18. Not sure what your schedule is like, but perhaps it's not completely whole30 related? I have a lot of stress at work, and I think that's a serious contributor. Plus, there's the whole don't get sleep, be tired, drink caffeine, can't go to sleep early cycle that I sometimes fall into.

I’m in the sleep problem Camp too! It’s definitely not Whole30 related...I’ve had this challenge a long, long, time. That being said I’m always searching for the magic formula and I hoped Whole30 would help. I can say it definitely hasn’t hurt! My prayers go out to all of you with sleep battles! xo Dianne

Day 19 and feeling spry! A little sleepy from lack of sleep, late night, early morning. But, I’m feeling good. I don’t know that I’d call it Tiger Blood but it’s good. My moods are stable, I function better with lack of sleep, inflammation appears to be reduced. No complaints from this girl!

Going for the gold with a new recipe tonight. The spiralized noodles or spagetti squash, with a pasta sauce and meat, all Whole30 approved.

i still have some cravings for the not so good old days of sweets, cookies, etc. But self control and not allowing anything in my home that’s not Whole30 approved is the key. I live alone with Hope, the dog, so no problem.

i really didn’t like basically cooking 3 meals a day, but am quite used to it now. Planning and having supplies on hand is key.

How are ya’ll doing (yes, I used to live in the South). Love hearing from you and your tales of victory or challenges.

Please be encouraged as you all so encourage me! xo Dianne

Hi all. I haven't posted much on here but I have been keeping up with my Whole30 Day by Day journal. I really have been enjoying it. I think it has kept me motivated this time around. I was starting to get discouraged because as I read other people saying things like I've fit into my skinny jeans or I'm down a size or I've peaked at the scale and I'm down 10lbs. (This was the reason I pulled away from the forum.) I've felt a mental shift and took the desperation out of it. Yes I'm hoping for weight loss but the main reason I decided to do the W30 this time was to correct some digestive issue and I've done that. I'm seeing the improvements that I was hoping for so I need to take that as a huge victory. Before I couldn't go more that a few days without eating something sweet and now I've gone 19 days and I don't even crave fruit to use as a substitute for dessert. I'm trying to change behavior more then just following a set of rules. I'm already thinking about what happens on Day 31. I'm planning on relaxing the "no added sugar" rule so that I can eat the bacon, sausage and ham that I have in my freezer but I will still stay away from things like ketchup and BBQ Sauce and Salad dressings. I want to do this for 30 days. I'm thinking every 30 days to reintroduce something but in the end it won't be a lot because I was really eating W30 before by with dairy. Think of it as a really slow reintroduction. 

NSV - I got a manicure the first week of April and my fingers still look good.

Unfortunately, no tiger blood here. I was hoping my sleep would improve but it hasn't been consistent. This is another reason why I think I need more that just 30 days to see the improvements I want which is totally ok with me. 

52 minutes ago, humanitysurvey said:

Hi all. I haven't posted much on here but I have been keeping up with my Whole30 Day by Day journal. I really have been enjoying it. I think it has kept me motivated this time around. I was starting to get discouraged because as I read other people saying things like I've fit into my skinny jeans or I'm down a size or I've peaked at the scale and I'm down 10lbs. (This was the reason I pulled away from the forum.) I've felt a mental shift and took the desperation out of it. Yes I'm hoping for weight loss but the main reason I decided to do the W30 this time was to correct some digestive issue and I've done that. I'm seeing the improvements that I was hoping for so I need to take that as a huge victory. Before I couldn't go more that a few days without eating something sweet and now I've gone 19 days and I don't even crave fruit to use as a substitute for dessert. I'm trying to change behavior more then just following a set of rules. I'm already thinking about what happens on Day 31. I'm planning on relaxing the "no added sugar" rule so that I can eat the bacon, sausage and ham that I have in my freezer but I will still stay away from things like ketchup and BBQ Sauce and Salad dressings. I want to do this for 30 days. I'm thinking every 30 days to reintroduce something but in the end it won't be a lot because I was really eating W30 before by with dairy. Think of it as a really slow reintroduction. 

NSV - I got a manicure the first week of April and my fingers still look good.

Unfortunately, no tiger blood here. I was hoping my sleep would improve but it hasn't been consistent. This is another reason why I think I need more that just 30 days to see the improvements I want which is totally ok with me. 

Great  post @humanitysurvey! So good to hear from you again! I can relate to so much of what you are saying! I agree with your reintroduction phase. Sounds good! I too like the Day by Day Whole30 journal! Really am glad to hear from you and all the input you offer! Be encouraged! xo Dianne

Day 20!!! 

2/3 of the way there!!

Nice going everybody!! We got this!!

Feeling like my self again, run this morning felt good and plenty of energy for trx Class in 30 min. Will be trying to keep busy outside the house today. Not really tempted, but don’t want to slip. 

Have a great weekend!!

Hey Y’all! Day 20 Whoop Whoop!

I’m  with @Dave K feeling perky and able to exercise, fully committed! Is this Tiger Blood? I dunno. Maybe!

I love really knowing the food template by now, planning comes so much easier, and I keep stocked up on supplies!

Wrote you all the perfect post at 2:30 am and deleted it by accident. Gee, maybe I was sleepy! But it was great, trust me! :D

Be very, very, encouraged everyone! We’ve got this!!!  xo Dianne

Yesterday was Day 17 and I felt distinctly good. Tired - I am not sleeping well. But - no aches, no pain. And I felt - bold. And clear-minded.

I've been having some trouble with my glasses (went to the eye dr and ordered a new pair on Thursday but they will take a few weeks) and I actually thought to dig up an old pair in the meantime. I can SEE!!!!!

I got my hair cut/colored after dithering about it for months. I feel about 5 years younger.

I told my husband to meet me at our favorite restaurant for dinner. I was unashamed and went in and explained my Whole30 needs. I was pretty sure that they only used olive oil - you can taste it in the food - and they were so kind about it. I had salmon and roasted potatoes and broccoli with garlic. Date night is back and it was great! No dishes - that was even greater lol.

Now, some other things in my life are just really good right now so this is not all the W30. But I think it is really making a difference!

18 minutes ago, LizaQ said:

Yesterday was Day 17 and I felt distinctly good. Tired - I am not sleeping well. But - no aches, no pain. And I felt - bold. And clear-minded.

I've been having some trouble with my glasses (went to the eye dr and ordered a new pair on Thursday but they will take a few weeks) and I actually thought to dig up an old pair in the meantime. I can SEE!!!!!

I got my hair cut/colored after dithering about it for months. I feel about 5 years younger.

I told my husband to meet me at our favorite restaurant for dinner. I was unashamed and went in and explained my Whole30 needs. I was pretty sure that they only used olive oil - you can taste it in the food - and they were so kind about it. I had salmon and roasted potatoes and broccoli with garlic. Date night is back and it was great! No dishes - that was even greater lol.

Now, some other things in my life are just really good right now so this is not all the W30. But I think it is really making a difference!

YEHHHHEHHHHHS!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! No hermitting, eating our meals in silence and solitude as if we have no confidence in ourselves or don't have the right to clarify...gently and appreciatively...what WE would like to PAY for to eat!! Not as if we're asking for a big Mac at burger king...yuck.

You GO ON now, with your BAD SELF!! Date night is alive and well!!! :wub:B)

1 hour ago, LizaQ said:

Just wanted to clarify - I was pretty sure that they usually use olive oil but I was just double checking. I am sure it was just oo last night. The salmon tasted a little different which makes me think that they probably usually use a marinade with some sort of sugar but left it off for me. But it was delicious plain with lemon. And the only hard part of the evening was not having sangria. Because of all the sugar, I doubt that it will be the first alcohol I reintroduce...but I really hope that I won't have any trouble with an occasional glass of wine!

Started today!  I have been prepping for a week and I have hit the ground running today. Spinach frittata with fruit and tea for breakfast, I have a Cobb salad lined up for lunch and sausage bangers and sweet potatoes with carmelized onions from the recipe book for dinner.  My husband isn't doing it with me, but he's enjoying the food. Here we go!

Hey April Whole30-ers! Hope y'all are having a great weekend and a super 3rd week. Day 21 here for me. Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks, really flown by. It's been really nice to have this forum to turn to for all my questions and doubts (of which there were and still are many).

I hope everyone is doing well, staying strong and seeing/feeling positive health improvements. I definitely am, though they are subtle.

My top three benefits of Whole30:

• Food Taste Better! Seriously, without all that taste-dulling junk food/sugar, fruits and veg taste sweeter, with deeper flavor. 
  • I'm eating happily guilt-free for the first time in my adult life, everything I'm eating is good for me, nourishing, satisfying...and not fattening -- my clothes are looser. 
  • Discovering new delicious recipes and feeling pride in making all my meals from scratch -- granted I'm still making my meals in Sunday prep marathons, but even that is fun. 

What benefits and "non-scale-victories" are you awesome Whole30-ers feeling/seeing in your lives over the last 3 weeks?

2 hours ago, tinkarooni said:

Started today!  I have been prepping for a week and I have hit the ground running today. Spinach frittata with fruit and tea for breakfast, I have a Cobb salad lined up for lunch and sausage bangers and sweet potatoes with carmelized onions from the recipe book for dinner.  My husband isn't doing it with me, but he's enjoying the food. Here we go!

Good luck @tinkarooni, planning your meals is key! Looks like your on the right track. 

21 minutes ago, suzannes said:

Hey April Whole30-ers! Hope y'all are having a great weekend and a super 3rd week. Day 21 here for me. Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks, really flown by. It's been really nice to have this forum to turn to for all my questions and doubts (of which there were and still are many).

I hope everyone is doing well, staying strong and seeing/feeling positive health improvements. I definitely am, though they are subtle.

My top three benefits of Whole30:

• Food Taste Better! Seriously, without all that taste-dulling junk food/sugar, fruits and veg taste sweeter, with deeper flavor. 
  • I'm eating happily guilt-free for the first time in my adult life, everything I'm eating is good for me, nourishing, satisfying...and not fattening -- my clothes are looser. 
  • Discovering new delicious recipes and feeling pride in making all my meals from scratch -- granted I'm still making my meals in Sunday prep marathons, but even that is fun. 

What benefits and "non-scale-victories" are you awesome Whole30-ers feeling/seeing in your lives over the last 3 weeks?

I’m with you, @suzannes! Same benefits, really! I’m just lovin it! Must be some Tiger Blood flowing within me! So many firsts for me as you stated so beautifully! 

Im really not looking forward to reintroduction. I would just keep going if it weren’t for my son coming to stay with me for/because of my niece’s wedding. There will be Rehersal Dinner, Wedding Feast, all that Jazz. @SugarcubeOD gave me some great guidelines for only partially and slowly reintroducing a few things if I must, but Dianne’s temporary version of Whole30. Then I may very well go another round! My inflammatory conditions have improved soooo much! Don’t want to feel sick again.

What are other people’s thoughts about reintroduction and/or going another round of Whole30, now or relatively soon!

Love You April 1st, 2nd, or whatever-ers! Be very, very, encouraged! xo Dianne

Happy Saturday  @Hope4Overcomers and all our fellow April Whole30 folks! 

Thoughts on another round of Whole30, since I'm heading in to the "final" 4th week here: 

Surprising myself... I am already planning to do another round of Whole30 in May, focusing on getting completely off of caffeine, going to 100% decaf coffee ('cause I like coffee) and herbal tea. I have cut back from my past coffee consumption (fighting chronic depression and long-time insomnia -- yeah, I know it's a vicious self-defeating cycle: coffee --> sleeplessness --> coffee... repeat). I chose not to cut out caffeine on this 1st Whole30 so wouldn't have to fight sugar AND caffeine withdrawal, a steep effort.

Also, my fire-breathing sugar dragon is still roaring and has certainly not been slain. Whole30 has helped tremendously, and as promised has helped me reset my eating and how I think about food and health. I have truly surprised myself that I've avoided sugar for 21 days already, I never thought I could do that! But the sugar-junk carb cravings are still there. I have successfully resisted during Whole30, but I want to be able to do more than just resist , I want to stop thinking about sugar-junk carbs all the time: I want food freedom. I think I should not consume any added sugar-junk-sweets for a long long time if ever, because they are so addictive and nearly impossible to control, at least for me. I want to make sure that sugary foods and junk carbs are extremely rare in my diet moving forward. So I think that another round or more of Whole30 will be helpful. 

Interested in y'all's thoughts on reintro and/or continuing Whole30 after April. 

@suzannes, very good stuff going on there.

I have never done two in a row before...the thought is not repulsive. It helps to know there IS no going back to foolishness. Diabetes is a definite game changer. So life after whole will not be much different.

Are we attempting to keep this group into the next 30? You all let me know what you want to do. If there are enough of us, I'm in...

Feeling good. Knees not hurting going up the stairs is blowing my hair back. Amazing...

Whatchall wanna do??? ^_^

Archived