4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

22 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Hi there April Buddies! 2 Days to go. How are people proceeding? How are you handeling the Reintroduction for yourself? Going another round? Switching to Whole30 Vegetarian?

Im considering 1. Going another round or 2. Trying Whole30 Vegetarian (Vegetarian has been my leaning in life for 50 years...just don’t like meat much and don’t digest well). 3. Trying Whole30 Vegetarian but reintroducing quinoa. 

Right now my food supplies on hand are to go another round of “traditional” Whole30. I haven’t quite figured out which aspects have made me feel better and I’d like to get in touch with that, if you know what I mean. I do have cravings and am not currently experiencing Tiger Blood. Too much fruit? Maybe. Hmmmm.

So what’s up with the rest of you? I’d love to hear!

Be encouraged! We did this thing and we are finishing (or going on) strong!

xo Dianne

Hi Dianne...  It's been a fun journey. A bit surprised how good I feel right now and I can see myself continuing is some fashion. We have kicked around the idea of the Mediterranean Diet as one possible avenue moving forward. The supplements that I took prior (BCAA and Protein Powder) will most likely be first on my list to reintroduce. Mostly to finish out the containers I have on hand that I purchased prior to starting W30. Depending upon how I feel towards the end of next month will determine if I purchase them again. Alcohol would probable be next. We have a drink or two in moderation and that will most likely continue. Instead of every weekend, a goal would be maybe a weekend or two out of the month. I would like to try and keep up with the elimination sugars and processed foods. They were reduced in our diet prior but the body feels good taking it a step further. Some of those hidden sugars will probable sneak in there only because they're in everything. I want to be more conscious of it.

We have a bunch of trips planned over the upcoming months that will make it difficult to do a full 30, but I can see myself giving it another run in the fall. Good luck with your Journey!!!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! We are nearing the end, and I am feeling all kinds of things!! As I'm sure you all understand. I'm not sure where to go from here. My goals for this Whole30 were to 1) tame my Sugar Dragon 2) stop sneaking food 3) change my relationship with food/stop using food as a reward or therapy 4) honor my body and recognize feelings of true hunger and satiety/stop eating things just because they are there. I feel like I've been fairly successful in these goals, but I recognize that changing food habits over a lifetime takes more than 30 days. I will go through the reintroduction calendar just to see what these food groups do to me. But I don't think I have any food intolerances. And that's kind of where I'm stuck. If I keep going with these "restrictions," I will just want them more just because I can't have them. If that makes sense. It's harder to make these decisions for myself rather than just someone telling me what to do. So someone tell me what to do! Haha. We also have some big trips coming up this spring/summer... I just don't know. Any help/suggestions out there for figuring this out? 

@Hope4Overcomers - It's funny you should mention doing Whole30 for vegetarians. My daughter really wants to eat more vegetarian, but she tends to be anemic so I wanted to do a little research first. I was wondering what the Whole30 veg program is like. Have you looked into it?

I'll probably go through a couple of reintroductions over the next 2 or 3 weeks (usually wine gets reintroduced in short order :P), but I'll use that time to figure out what's next.

What a great active supportive group this has been. Thanks everybody! Enjoy day 30!

So here we are on the eve of the Last Day! (right?)  I have my annual physical tomorrow, and I'm going to attempt to fast during the day so I can get my blood drawn at the appointment.  Otherwise I have to come back Wed morning.  We'll see how that goes.  I just want to be DONE ~ so I can EAT ALL THE THINGS!  I have enough food in the freezer & fridge to use up that I will continue with the plan at least for the week.  But with some WINE.

I'll come back to this thread to give a full report of my stats once I get the results (even if I'm only reporting to myself).  I wish you all the best going forward! And thanks so much for the support!!!

8 hours ago, Kiralyn D said:

Hey everyone! We are nearing the end, and I am feeling all kinds of things!! As I'm sure you all understand. I'm not sure where to go from here. My goals for this Whole30 were to 1) tame my Sugar Dragon 2) stop sneaking food 3) change my relationship with food/stop using food as a reward or therapy 4) honor my body and recognize feelings of true hunger and satiety/stop eating things just because they are there. I feel like I've been fairly successful in these goals, but I recognize that changing food habits over a lifetime takes more than 30 days. I will go through the reintroduction calendar just to see what these food groups do to me. But I don't think I have any food intolerances. And that's kind of where I'm stuck. If I keep going with these "restrictions," I will just want them more just because I can't have them. If that makes sense. It's harder to make these decisions for myself rather than just someone telling me what to do. So someone tell me what to do! Haha. We also have some big trips coming up this spring/summer... I just don't know. Any help/suggestions out there for figuring this out? 

@Kiralyn D, sounds like you need to explore the concept of Food Freedom (new book).  I had the book out from the library but had to return it before I read much.  It looks helpful though.  The point of this adventure is to reverse the role food plays in your life:  Now you own IT, rather than it controls you.  Please check back in at some point and tell us what you figured out. =)  Best of luck!

My FFF will come in two days.

I am determined to keep this thing right...as right as humanly possible- resetting quickly when it gets a little dirty...not allowing a swamp to occur before I pull myself back in...

I have two days to be very honest with myself: do I need to extend to be fully confident about being in control, or am I ready? 

This weekend was great. I want THAT as my majority...bold and determined to choose what I eat and enjoy my choices...

The book comes on MY 30-May 2nd.

This time, it's a lifelong journey...

We can all do this

Let's DOOOOO it!!!!!

2 hours ago, tutormom said:

So here we are on the eve of the Last Day! (right?)  I have my annual physical tomorrow, and I'm going to attempt to fast during the day so I can get my blood drawn at the appointment.  Otherwise I have to come back Wed morning.  We'll see how that goes.  I just want to be DONE ~ so I can EAT ALL THE THINGS!  I have enough food in the freezer & fridge to use up that I will continue with the plan at least for the week.  But with some WINE.

I'll come back to this thread to give a full report of my stats once I get the results (even if I'm only reporting to myself).  I wish you all the best going forward! And thanks so much for the support!!!

It’s been great! I’ll be looking for your stats from the blood draw!!

14 hours ago, tutormom said:

So here we are on the eve of the Last Day! (right?) 

I totally miscounted and thought yesterday was the last day. :wacko:  I keep thinking a day ahead.... Well one more day won't hurt me. I even have some paleo bacon I can cook this morning. Aaah but I was looking forward to that glass of wine...

I forgot to weigh and measure myself before starting but I am excited to hear about everybody's successes!

Woo-hoo!!!  Last day!!

I'm going to do another month, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this thread.  I'm so happy to have done this with you.  

I anticipate this next month to be a breeze because I'm already in the zone.  And also because fruits and veggies are starting to come into season so it will be easier on the budget.

Congratulations everyone!!

Happy Day!!! Day 30!!! Congratulations to everyone who completed the program!!! It's been fun riding out the last 30 days with you. I'm curious to see how the measurements will work out this evening.

Hats off to those of you continuing for another 30. I don't think i'd have to many issues continuing along the same journey. My wife on the other hand is looking forward to a little creamer in her coffee. :) Other than that, I think she would be fine as well.

It's been fun, interesting, nerve racking, a little stressful, and a great learning experience of all the hidden ingredients in what is called "food".  I hoping to take what I've learned to the next level and continue to eat healthy. This was a great first step! I'm glad i did it!!

Congratulations to all of you who are DONE!

I'm just on Day 28...and I am not sure if I will reintroduce right away or take another week. I am still having occasional digestive issues and I would like to give it a little longer before I start having beans etc. again...but I am eager to see if anything really affects me!! But it hasn't really been difficult. But our anniversary is coming up and I'd like to be able to eat out with a little less stress about cooking oil etc. But but but...just not sure!

I'll probably be posting a thread with my reintro plan in the reintroduction section as soon as I have thought it through a bit more.

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

Happy Day!!! Day 30!!! Congratulations to everyone who completed the program!!! It's been fun riding out the last 30 days with you. I'm curious to see how the measurements will work out this evening.

Hats off to those of you continuing for another 30. I don't think i'd have to many issues continuing along the same journey. My wife on the other hand is looking forward to a little creamer in her coffee. :) Other than that, I think she would be fine as well.

It's been fun, interesting, nerve racking, a little stressful, and a great learning experience of all the hidden ingredients in what is called "food".  I hoping to take what I've learned to the next level and continue to eat healthy. This was a great first step! I'm glad i did it!!

I am confident that you will... B)

1 hour ago, LizaQ said:

Congratulations to all of you who are DONE!

I'm just on Day 28...and I am not sure if I will reintroduce right away or take another week. I am still having occasional digestive issues and I would like to give it a little longer before I start having beans etc. again...but I am eager to see if anything really affects me!! But it hasn't really been difficult. But our anniversary is coming up and I'd like to be able to eat out with a little less stress about cooking oil etc. But but but...just not sure!

I'll probably be posting a thread with my reintro plan in the reintroduction section as soon as I have thought it through a bit more.

I assure you that you CAN enjoy your anniversary and not compromise your eating...if that's what you choose to do.

That being said, no regrets, WHICHEVER you choose. Do it with GUSTO! ;)

Congratulations everyone. Although I loved the program, I won't keep doing it. I love my cheese and grains to much to give up for a long run. I didn't lose a lot weight (5LBS) even though I didn't cheat one day. But, I love the fact that it stopped my cravings.  Good luck for those who will keep doing it. :) 

Congrats everybody, well done! It was nice traveling along with you on the April Whole30. It went by really fast surprisingly. 

Like @bigmamabird I'm going to continue at least another month since my sugar dragon is still breathing fire, and I just want to make this healthy way of eating a good solid habit, and see if I can continue to relieve some health issues.

So, I'll be around here if anyone wants to chat more about this journey or just wants to check in sometime. 

Good luck, best wishes, and bon voyage to all of you fellow Whole30ers! :wub:

I finished my day 30 yesterday, but I think I'm going to continue with a modified version for another 30 days. AKA, my sugar dragon is still breathing fire, but I would like to do reintro of everything else to see what I may or may not be sensitive to. The funny thing is that I feel much better in a lot of ways, and I don't really want to do reintro and risk eating something that makes me feel bloated, tired, etc.

I considered trying to do a whole60, but I am scheduled to start travelling for work again, a lot, and I know it's too hard to do this while travelling in foreign countries. Plus, I have a weekend here and there, and I want to try local delicacies :) The challenge now is defining what my Food Freedom looks like. I think it will be very close to whole30, with maybe some cheese, cream or wine (assuming I'm tolerant) when I'm home. I've enjoyed these 45 days (the last 30 were straight whole30, the first two weeks I ate hidden soy and grains, oops!) and the challenges of cooking. I've come to love Mel Joulwan's recipes, and plan on using her cook books for the future.  The combo of really tasty, varied foods with actual hard books... the best!

If anyone keeps using this thread, I'll keep checking in, at least through reintroduction! I haven't been nearly as active at posting as I wanted, but I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences!! I am WHOLE30 :)

14 minutes ago, Roonster said:

I finished my day 30 yesterday, but I think I'm going to continue with a modified version for another 30 days. AKA, my sugar dragon is still breathing fire, but I would like to do reintro of everything else to see what I may or may not be sensitive to. The funny thing is that I feel much better in a lot of ways, and I don't really want to do reintro and risk eating something that makes me feel bloated, tired, etc.

I considered trying to do a whole60, but I am scheduled to start travelling for work again, a lot, and I know it's too hard to do this while travelling in foreign countries. Plus, I have a weekend here and there, and I want to try local delicacies :) The challenge now is defining what my Food Freedom looks like. I think it will be very close to whole30, with maybe some cheese, cream or wine (assuming I'm tolerant) when I'm home. I've enjoyed these 45 days (the last 30 were straight whole30, the first two weeks I ate hidden soy and grains, oops!) and the challenges of cooking. I've come to love Mel Joulwan's recipes, and plan on using her cook books for the future.  The combo of really tasty, varied foods with actual hard books... the best!

If anyone keeps using this thread, I'll keep checking in, at least through reintroduction! I haven't been nearly as active at posting as I wanted, but I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences!! I am WHOLE30 :)

Hi there Apriler’s and @Roonster! I’m continuing on moving in a modified version of Whole30 Vegetarian. Right now I still have some meat to finish off but that’s the direction I’m moving in. I don’t want to reintroduce foods that made me ill, which may be lots of them! I do have my son coming and a family wedding so I’ll be allowing for that too. But I don’t want to make choices that make me ill. So I’ll be here! Keep checking in! I’ll be glad to be hearing from you! xo Dianne

I've been thinking about the Sugar Dragon. I haven't felt any physical pull towards sugar, probably because I did WW for a few month first. But it's an emotional pull. I love to bak and I love to celebrate. I like to stop for froyo after dinner with my husband. I like to share birthday cake or Christmas cookies...or anytime cake and cookies!!..with family and friends. I like to offer guests a slice of homemade apple cake. I like to have Cinnabon in the mall with my kids. It's also a taste thing - sugar is delicious. Not more delicious than guacamole or steak. But delicious enough that I would miss it if I could never have it again.

I am able, for months at a time, to eat sugar in moderation. And then I go off the rails for a bit. And then I am moderate again. I think I will read the Food Freedom book before I decide how I am going to handle sugar.

Just thinking out loud here!

We did it! 30 days....congratulations everyone way to go. I hope you all are feeling mentally fantastic today because you totally rocked this! Take care and hopefully I see you on here again. I am starting again may 21st. I have inspired a few friends so I'm going to walk through this with them. 

Take care

8 hours ago, LizaQ said:

I've been thinking about the Sugar Dragon. I haven't felt any physical pull towards sugar, probably because I did WW for a few month first. But it's an emotional pull. I love to bak and I love to celebrate. I like to stop for froyo after dinner with my husband. I like to share birthday cake or Christmas cookies...or anytime cake and cookies!!..with family and friends. I like to offer guests a slice of homemade apple cake. I like to have Cinnabon in the mall with my kids. It's also a taste thing - sugar is delicious. Not more delicious than guacamole or steak. But delicious enough that I would miss it if I could never have it again.

I am able, for months at a time, to eat sugar in moderation. And then I go off the rails for a bit. And then I am moderate again. I think I will read the Food Freedom book before I decide how I am going to handle sugar.

Just thinking out loud here!

Excellent thinking. FFF will put it all in perspective...

Well...the day is just about over. 30 days are quickly coming to an end.

Thank you ALL...this focused and determined bunch on THIS thread were definitely instrumental in my success.

I hope we have all secured more grip over the inanimate object...food...and will carry this knowledge on...that cravings come and go, but we remain in control of the outcome. No guilt, just well informed choices.

Well done everyone...WELL DONE!!! B)

Archived