4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

I'm starting on April 1st and would love an accountability partner. I've already done 60 days of Mark Hyman's 10-day sugar detox, and that was terrific for me, but then I started eating sugar and snacks again for a few weeks, and it is madness. Decided Whole 30 is a bit easier for me, since I travel a lot and don't have to deal with the detox smoothies, which are challenging on the Sugar Detox program. Looking forward to this.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @sanjosebarbie! I’m so glad you’ve joined the bunch of us starting or restarting in April. Mostly April 1st or 2nd. I’m starting the second, my first round. I still feel a bit unprepared but it’s new to me so maybe that’s not uncommon. I’m working to clean up m diet for inflammation reasons and I would like to lose a few pounds. I don’t travel, so we don’t have that in common. I don’t know if someone else in the group does travel a lot. That would be perfect for you, but I am definitely here for you for accountability and support! Be encouraged!

Hello everyone!  Just started to clean out the fridge, freezer and pantry of all non-complaint Whole30foods -it was more than I thought!  I have lots of space now for all the “good stuff”. Reading the Whole30book is very helpful and will keep it close the next few days, especially the FAQ section.  Wishing you all a good start that will carry you thru the next 30 days!

Hi @sanjosebarbie! I’m so glad you’ve joined the bunch of us starting or restarting in April. Mostly April 1st or 2nd. I’m starting the second, my first round. I still feel a bit unprepared but it’s new to me so maybe that’s not uncommon. I’m working to clean up m diet for inflammation reasons and I would like to lose a few pounds. I don’t travel, so we don’t have that in common. I don’t know if someone else in the group does travel a lot. That would be perfect for you, but I am definitely here for you for accountability and support! Be encouraged!

Hi @Carmen66! I’m going through the same process and checking it twice! Smile. I was surprised that all my teas are good. No added ingredients or anything non compliant with the Whole30 Program. Am staying home today to review and read more and be sure I am as ready as I can be. We are on the same page! How is everyone else doing??

My wife and I will be starting our first w30 tomorrow. We got the books and had planned on starting at 1/1 but “something” always got in the way. Looking to this forum for ideas.

Planning on making some hard boiled eggs for breakfast and making some frozen chicken breasts for lunches. Lunches will be hardest for me as I usually just pop a microwave meal in with chips and a soda. 

My wife has read the books and is currently looking through one of the cookbooks for dinner ideas. Wish us luck. 

Hi @ToddMS! Sounds like you and your wife have a plan! I’m sure you will both do great! There is no perfect time to start, is there? Just gotta jump in (prepared) and go with it! I’m excited to start 4/2. There are quite a few folks here starting tomorrow or in the next few days. We can all support each other! Definitely wishing you and your wife the best of luck! Please, be encouraged!

Fun day meal planning and grocery shopping yesterday. Some meals as before, prepared a little differently, some recipes from the back of the book.  (Looking forward to trying them)

A little bit more reading today to refresh some of the information, and sign up for the daily newsletter mentioned on page 21 in the book.

good luck everybody making your final preparations to start tomorrow! 

This sounds like an awesome group. I will be starting another whole 30. I completed my successful one into 2013. Since then I have tried to do other ones but have fallen off. I am now in a critical stage of inflammation and all of my old injuries in my shoulders elbows and wrists activate it. I am in pain, I have some eczema, & sleep issues just to name a few so I’ve just got to do it. I will be 51 in May. I can definitely lose some weight as well but I am not concerned about that at this point. 

I have a lot of allergies because of my leaky gut. I have to stay away from garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. I do have  I be careful with citrus because it can cause issues with canker sores. I am not sure if I will eliminate all of them but severely limit them. I do like using the zest. I do have an incredible time constraint. I’m in school 35 hours a week as well as working 30 to 35 hours a week. So this is going to be interesting. 

My problem is I prep all the food and then don’t eat it. I am a bona fide fast food junkie. I love going to breakfast and reading. That is my current vice. I have some things already made from previous weeks like beef cabbage stew. I have some meat cooked and frozen. I am prepping Brussels sprouts with sweet potatoes, asparagus, cole slaw, sweet potato salad, sautéed Swiss chard with mint & pistachios, and some salads, I will also make an egg thing but not sure. I am so busy I have to make all my food Mon-Thur. Then Thur do a prep for Fri-Sun. But I am hoping to do breakfasts fresh as much as I can. 

My NSV goals are to 

1. Get a better handle on the sugar dragon

2. Do all food prepping on Sun & small one on Thur

3. Keep clean after cooking 

4. Not going out to fast food

5. Doing my PT every day, and when ever possible walking & stretching into my week. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Dave K said:

Update... for the daily newsletter.

Message at site - no longer taking daily subscribers for the newsletter

Yep, that's right - the Day by Day book has replaced the daily newsletter - it has more content and in most cases, is less expensive than the daily newsletter :) 

I'm starting my second W30 in April too. Today is day 1 for me. My first W30 was in January and I feel I need to get back to the basics as I've slipped back into some bad dietary habits. For me, hard, strict rules work. 

Let's do this!

4 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

This sounds like an awesome group. I will be starting another whole 30. I completed my successful one into 2013. Since then I have tried to do other ones but have fallen off. I am now in a critical stage of inflammation and all of my old injuries in my shoulders elbows and wrists activate it. I am in pain, I have some eczema, & sleep issues just to name a few so I’ve just got to do it. I will be 51 in May. I can definitely lose some weight as well but I am not concerned about that at this point. 

I have a lot of allergies because of my leaky gut. I have to stay away from garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. I do have  I be careful with citrus because it can cause issues with canker sores. I am not sure if I will eliminate all of them but severely limit them. I do like using the zest. I do have an incredible time constraint. I’m in school 35 hours a week as well as working 30 to 35 hours a week. So this is going to be interesting. 

My problem is I prep all the food and then don’t eat it. I am a bona fide fast food junkie. I love going to breakfast and reading. That is my current vice. I have some things already made from previous weeks like beef cabbage stew. I have some meat cooked and frozen. I am prepping Brussels sprouts with sweet potatoes, asparagus, cole slaw, sweet potato salad, sautéed Swiss chard with mint & pistachios, and some salads, I will also make an egg thing but not sure. I am so busy I have to make all my food Mon-Thur. Then Thur do a prep for Fri-Sun. But I am hoping to do breakfasts fresh as much as I can. 

My NSV goals are to 

1. Get a better handle on the sugar dragon

2. Do all food prepping on Sun & small one on Thur

3. Keep clean after cooking 

4. Not going out to fast food

5. Doing my PT every day, and when ever possible walking & stretching into my week. 

Hi there, @EJSmadhatter! Yes you’ve come to the right place! We are a great group (I think!) and are so happy to have you with us! You are indeed a busy lady with lots going on. I share your inflammation challenges and hope to bring that under control. We are all here to support each other and are truly glad you’ve joined in!

20 minutes ago, Aud1 said:

I'm starting my second W30 in April too. Today is day 1 for me. My first W30 was in January and I feel I need to get back to the basics as I've slipped back into some bad dietary habits. For me, hard, strict rules work. 

Let's do this!

Hi @Aud1! So pleased you are coming along with us all! I think we are a great group and will support each other in whatever challenges and victories we encounter! Be encouraged!

On 3/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Yes, each meal should have protein, fat and veggies per the template (linked in my signature below).  When you use salad greens as your veggie, you need a truckload of them (think of what happens to fresh spinach when you steam it down... it nearly disappears).  Adding heartier veggies to salad greens is a good way to bump up your veggies and yes, definitely fat at every meal!

Thanks so much for that. I always wondered why I got hungry so quickly.  Hahaha :P

Hi all,

Just found this group and it looks active active active!

I started a whole30 on March 19, so today was day 14. At Easter dinner, I found out that the sauce I was dipping in was peanut based and that the topping on the yams was made with lentils. Honestly, it was worth it :) So tomorrow I'm starting over.

My goals are:

1. Stop treating food in a way that lets it control my life (using food to reward, punish, etc).

2. Sleep better and stop my reliance on caffeine to get me through the afternoon.

3. Reinforce my morning workout habit.

And I'll take any weight loss that happens!

I'm 28, about to turn 29. I live in Italy, and I travel a lot for work, so this time of year is possibly the only whole month I'll have off to do this in!

Looking forward to getting started. I have a whole30 log I've been keeping linked in my signature if anyone is interested :)

Sierra

Hello @Roonster! So glad you found us! Hopefully we will be a very active group, full of support and idea sharing! I admire your goals and that you are going to start over and shoot for those very concrete goals again! Sounds like your Easter slip up, was, well, worth it. Oops, did I say that? At any rate welcome! So glad you are a part of us, Sierra! Be encouraged! Dianne

Hi! I am starting my whole30 tomorrow too! I did whole30 for a two weeks last month but had to stop because I had knee surgery. I never bought the book and still don't have it. Is it necessary or can I complete whole30 without the book?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nic1428 said:

Hi! I am starting my whole30 tomorrow too! I did whole30 for a two weeks last month but had to stop because I had knee surgery. I never bought the book and still don't have it. Is it necessary or can I complete whole30 without the book?

All the information you need is available for free on this site. Start here for all the information:   https://whole30.com/new/

Hi everyone! I am starting Whole30 tomorrow as well! I am happy that there is a group starting together. I am 31 y/o and this is my first Whole30. I have been planning on starting on 4/2 for the last 2 weeks. I have read so much about this and even though it feels difficult I am determined to stay positive! I meal prepped today and I think I am as ready as I'll ever be to start. Good luck to everybody tomorrow:)

Archived