FIRST TIMER - Starting 4/9/18

HaleyK

I had veggie and beef egg muffins for bfast and grilled chicken and avocado with green veggies for lunch.  Drinking lots of mint and green tea.   Feeling a bit low key. I’d say irritable but knowing that’s possible is keeping me in check.  I have beef and squash from realplans waiting for  dinner. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HaleyK said:

A bit hungry, but other than that good! I have tried two of the recipes from The Whole30 book and both were great. Spinach Frittata and No-Fuss Salmon Cakes (although next time I would grease the pan a bit more... they aren't pretty!)

I know the cravings will start after dinner when I would normally reach for something sweet...

My craving time is about 3:30 every day at work.  Just because I am over being at work, lol and want to go home.  Hang in there, you got this.  Plan something fun to do after dinner, or something to keep you busy to help distract you!

We’ve only been at it for 2 days, but so far so good......I think. I love vegetables, so getting those in is no problem. I’m not a huge fan of meat. I eat it, but I get bored with it. lol We had the Cashew Chicken out of the Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook this evening. It was incredible!! There was no possible way I could eat all my chicken, so I’m saving it for tomorrow’s lunch. Right now it’s almost 8:00 p.m. here and I’m still full. I’m ready to take on day 3!!

My husband and I just started today!! No fancy recipe meals yet...eggs and sausage for breakfast, tuna raw veggies and guacamole for lunch and pork chops potato’s and a few grapes. I need to do more research about it for sure. I know my husband is starving right now. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, CrystalHarper said:

My husband and I just started today!! No fancy recipe meals yet...eggs and sausage for breakfast, tuna raw veggies and guacamole for lunch and pork chops potato’s and a few grapes. I need to do more research about it for sure. I know my husband is starving right now. 

Don't forget the following (which will likely help the husband)

1. add fat to all your meals - generally don't count cooking fat, add plated fat as per template

2. eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping - each of you so if your hubby is bigger than you, he'll have bigger hands and be able to hold more - 

3. building on what number two said, the template asks for each participant to use their own body metrics to determine how much food to eat so again, if hubby is bigger than you, then his hand, palm, thumb, fist size is going to be greater than yours.  Sometimes when the smaller person does the cooking/plating, the larger person gets less food than they need... could that be the case here?

If you haven't seen the template, click my signature below or google 'whole30 meal template'

I started today too! 4/9/18 I made beef carnitas style in the slow cooker overnight and roasted some potatoes to have for the week. I "try" to eat paleo in regular life, but today was a wake up call that I must be cheating every day, since I felt quite hungry in the afternoon. I am a grad student single mom, so I am out and about most of the day. Planning for lunches feels really overwhelming! I am most worried about SUGAR - my biggest weakness. 

It's day 2! Who's feeling "the hangover"?! ME!

Overall though, day 1 went well. I made sloppy joe baked potatoes for dinner and YUM! Did not feel like I was missing anything. My plan is to have it for lunch today, too so now I can't wait 'till noon! I'm realizing that sometimes my urge to eat something sweet or to have a glass of wine in the evening is more out of habit than really still being hungry... at least that's how it felt on day 1 (ask me again later this week, haha!)

How is everyone else feeling?

14 hours ago, 30Rookie said:

We’ve only been at it for 2 days, but so far so good......I think. I love vegetables, so getting those in is no problem. I’m not a huge fan of meat. I eat it, but I get bored with it. lol We had the Cashew Chicken out of the Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook this evening. It was incredible!! There was no possible way I could eat all my chicken, so I’m saving it for tomorrow’s lunch. Right now it’s almost 8:00 p.m. here and I’m still full. I’m ready to take on day 3!!

Vegetables are the hardest part for me.  I only like a few so I get bored easily.  Trying to expand my horizons during the whole 30 and try some new ones.

12 hours ago, Incandescent said:

I started today too! 4/9/18 I made beef carnitas style in the slow cooker overnight and roasted some potatoes to have for the week. I "try" to eat paleo in regular life, but today was a wake up call that I must be cheating every day, since I felt quite hungry in the afternoon. I am a grad student single mom, so I am out and about most of the day. Planning for lunches feels really overwhelming! I am most worried about SUGAR - my biggest weakness. 

Do you have a link for the beef carnitas style in the slow cooker?  We need more whole30 compliant slow cooker meals.

2 hours ago, HaleyK said:

Overall though, day 1 went well. I made sloppy joe baked potatoes for dinner and YUM! Did not feel like I was missing anything. My plan is to have it for lunch today, too so now I can't wait 'till noon! I'm realizing that sometimes my urge to eat something sweet or to have a glass of wine in the evening is more out of habit than really still being hungry... at least that's how it felt on day 1 (ask me again later this week, haha!)

Hang in there!  I am not feeling the hangover too much today.  I am tired with a slight headache... but that has been my constant state of being the last few months, so just feels like another day to me.  And actually I am feeling a little bit better than normal.  I am sure that will change thought.  My husband on the other hand is definitely feeling hungover today.  He always gets up about 5 or 5:30 depending on if its a work day or not.  He got up and let the dog out.... then apparently went back to sleep till I got up around 830.  I am sooooo looking forward to lunch to.  I have a log thread going, so will post more there, but our dinner was amazing.  We both licked our plates clean (I kid you not, licked them clean!)  Sheet pan flank steak and veggies.  So goooooood.  I dreamed about the meal last night.

So far so good for day 2. I do feel tired, but I guess it's part of the hangover.

My biggest craving is for a cigarette. I even considered doing the whole 30 but allow smoking. 

Also, one of the difficult things is how much to eat. They say eat as much protein as you can hold. While I can hold 4 eggs or more, it seems like a lot. But if I were to hold chicken or steak it would be less then I usually eat. 

1 hour ago, ygygold said:

So far so good for day 2. I do feel tired, but I guess it's part of the hangover.

My biggest craving is for a cigarette. I even considered doing the whole 30 but allow smoking. 

Also, one of the difficult things is how much to eat. They say eat as much protein as you can hold. While I can hold 4 eggs or more, it seems like a lot. But if I were to hold chicken or steak it would be less then I usually eat. 

I can definitely see how the no smoking would be hard, just think of all the benefits.  Hold on to how great you will feel in the future.

As for the protein.  My protein intake has been a little lower adjusting for the guidelines, but I have added more vegetables and some fruit, which has helped me still feel full.  Maybe try that if your still hungry- increase the vegetables and adding some fruit and healthly fats.

I might be a little edgy today...... I was sitting at my desk, working and my pen disappeared.  I mean I lose it all the time when I leave my desk, but I was sitting here.  I had a freak out.  I had to get up and walk away.  It might be time for lunch.  I found the pen, so that's good, but it is probably a good thing that I kind of sit by myself lol.

Dockris, I am so there with you today! I am on Day 3 and I feel super cranky today! It's like the second I try to concentrate on something, the phone rings or someone in the office has a question or needs me for something.

I haven't felt the hangover I don't think. I feel like I have been eating enough to stay full without having to snack at work but I feel I am already getting bored with the meals I chose this week. I made chicken salad for Sunday and Monday and had egg roll in a bowl last night and today. I currently have chicken going in the crock pot at home with red potatoes and green beans. Hopefully it turns out good. I don't have a headache or anything today but just kind of cranky and blah. Is that the hangover??

18 minutes ago, jhawk608 said:

Dockris, I am so there with you today! I am on Day 3 and I feel super cranky today! It's like the second I try to concentrate on something, the phone rings or someone in the office has a question or needs me for something.

I haven't felt the hangover I don't think. I feel like I have been eating enough to stay full without having to snack at work but I feel I am already getting bored with the meals I chose this week. I made chicken salad for Sunday and Monday and had egg roll in a bowl last night and today. I currently have chicken going in the crock pot at home with red potatoes and green beans. Hopefully it turns out good. I don't have a headache or anything today but just kind of cranky and blah. Is that the hangover??

I would say its possible.  I think the crankiness and blah feelings are part of the "hangover"    That food sounds yummy.  I have leftover steak and veggies today.  My coworkers were jealous of my lunch.  My headache is getting worse as the day goes on.  Glad my husband is at home making our meals for the rest of the week, so dinner should be ready when I get home.  Can eat and relax and maybe go to bed early.  If anyone wants to check out my blog post about today:  http://ourlifetheburkefamily.blogspot.com/2018/04/whole30-day-2.html

Hi Haley,

I started my first whole 30 yesterday, too.  I am a special snowflake, so I am doing no eggs or nightshades.  Day 1 went easier than I expected; however, I go a nasty headache after lunch and it is still with me today.

1 hour ago, Rev.M said:

Hi Haley,

I started my first whole 30 yesterday, too.  I am a special snowflake, so I am doing no eggs or nightshades.  Day 1 went easier than I expected; however, I go a nasty headache after lunch and it is still with me today.

I am sorry you are having a headache.  I have one too, it has gradually gotten worse throughout the day.  Thank you for your post, your snowflake comment made me chuckle, and I needed a chuckle.  Hang in there.

Checking in with a Day 3 update! My husband and I are both suffering from headaches, major crabbiness (mostly my husband :wacko:), and just feel icky. My husband walked in from work and said if he feels like this tomorrow he is quitting!  I came unglued. Lolol He is not quitting and either am I! Although, I do hope the “tiger blood” hits me soon!

8 hours ago, Dockris said:

Do you have a link for the beef carnitas style in the slow cooker?  We need more whole30 compliant slow cooker meals.

I used this recipe https://www.pinterest.com/pin/70368812909578140/ but I swapped out the pork for 2 lbs "slap meat" beef, since my butcher was out of pork butt. I would recommend using less salt, other than that its delicious!

On 4/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, HaleyK said:

We also started 4/9 ! I must say sloppy joe baked potatoes sound delicious!! What did you use to make the sloppy joe sauce? We made classic chili from the whole30 cook book Monday and served over mashed potatoes! It was AMAZING!

I am surprisingly not feeling as much of "the hangover", but I also don't feel any different. I started whole30 because I was feeling tired and bloated all the time. I had a serious problem with sugar and boredom eating. I sit most of my day at work so snacking was a constant thing. The sugar cravings haven't been as bad as I thought they would be. Maybe I am feeling the same but for different reasons? Maybe it is actually "the hangover"? One can only hope! 

9 minutes ago, boyercs said:

We also started 4/9 ! I must say sloppy joe baked potatoes sound delicious!! What did you use to make the sloppy joe sauce? We made classic chili from the whole30 cook book Monday and served over mashed potatoes! It was AMAZING!

I am surprisingly not feeling as much of "the hangover", but I also don't feel any different. I started whole30 because I was feeling tired and bloated all the time. I had a serious problem with sugar and boredom eating. I sit most of my day at work so snacking was a constant thing. The sugar cravings haven't been as bad as I thought they would be. Maybe I am feeling the same but for different reasons? Maybe it is actually "the hangover"? One can only hope! 

They were so good! I found the recipe on Pinterest: https://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-sloppy-joe-bowls/

I omitted the dates though because I didn’t feel like buying them lol. A little more tangy without but still good!

I’m going to have to try the chili from the book, that sounds yummy!

I had a bad headache by the time I went to bed.  And I have been quite grumpy.  Today, I am just tired.  Was up most of the night with some stomach pains.  We had broccoli for dinner and that never seems to settle well in my stomach.  Being so tired is not helping my crankiness.  I am trying to decide if I should take a half day off work for a mental health day... or if I need to save it for the next few days if/when I feel worse.  Just so tired, can't think.

Archived