HaleyK

FIRST TIMER - Starting 4/9/18

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ygygold said:

Saturday is especially hard for me. I'm Jewish and since it's Shabbat I need to drink a cup of Wine and eat a Small piece of Matzo. I know technically I broke the Whole30 and need to start over. But that means I will never get to do it, religion is before everything. 

The hard part is not the cravings after breaking the diet. It's reminding and pushing myself to be fully compliant even though I ate something that's not allowed. 

Religious requirements trump Whole30 - many people use dealcoholized wine and drink and eat only as much as is strictly required for the religious purpose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Religious requirements trump Whole30 - many people use dealcoholized wine and drink and eat only as much as is strictly required for the religious purpose

I don't think there is kosher non alcoholic wine with no sugar. I use regular wine and drink only the minimum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ygygold said:

I don't think there is kosher non alcoholic wine with no sugar. I use regular wine and drink only the minimum

Sorry, I may have been mixing up communion with Shabbat - my mistake and apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ygygold said:

Saturday is especially hard for me. I'm Jewish and since it's Shabbat I need to drink a cup of Wine and eat a Small piece of Matzo. I know technically I broke the Whole30 and need to start over. But that means I will never get to do it, religion is before everything. 

The hard part is not the cravings after breaking the diet. It's reminding and pushing myself to be fully compliant even though I ate something that's not allowed. 

I believe she talks about this type of situation in the book.  Though I think her example was communion.  Religion does indeed come first, as do doctors orders, so you didn't not break your Whole30, at least that's my opinion.  As you said, your religion makes it so you could never do a true Whole30, but as long as the rest of the time you are sticking to it, there is no reason to feel upset about it. Religion trumps everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we are having a "food day" at work.  Celebrating on the April Birthdays.  Originally I had planned to bring some compliant deviled eggs in.  However, i felt like crap yesterday (not really due to the Whole 30, I had a small procedure on Tuesday and was still recovering) and didn't have time to get them ready.  I walked in the kitchen to fill my water bottle, saw all the food and really the only things that looked good was the salsa a friend made (that was compliant, but I didn't want any) and another type of salsa (that wasn't compliant because it has cheese and beans in it).  But I just walked away.  I didn't really feel any urge to try anything.

I did bring an Rx bar today, just in case i really was tempted I had an extra something to choose instead.  We have been saving the Rx bars for our hikes or other situations when we need something more (like when I had to run to a meeting, so didn't have time to eat dinner.  I had half an Rx bar to hold me till I got home afterwards and could then eat dinner.)

Actually feeling pretty good.  We are doing biggest loser right now at work.  A friend has been tracking my weight loss for me (I close my eyes when I step on the scale- only almost fell once lol).  And she submits my loss %.  So I don't know how I am doing, but I feel pretty great, so not concerned.  The biggest loser event ends 2 weeks after our Whole 30, so I might talk my husband into waiting to do our reintroduction phase till after it ends, because I really just don't want to go through those icky feelings while finishing up the program here at work.  I feel great right now and want that same feeling when we complete Biggest Loser.  Regardless of how much I lost, I want to have the Great Feeling to hold on to, because then I know I did well- even if the scale doesn't reflect that.  Does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dockris said:

but as long as the rest of the time you are sticking to it, there is no reason to feel upset about it. .

I'm not upset, it's just hard. I appreciate your support. 

2 hours ago, Dockris said:

Today we are having a "food day" at work.  Celebrating on the April Birthdays.  Originally I had planned to bring some compliant deviled eggs in.  However, i felt like crap yesterday (not really due to the Whole 30, I had a small procedure on Tuesday and was still recovering) and didn't have time to get them ready.  I walked in the kitchen to fill my water bottle, saw all the food and really the only things that looked good was the salsa a friend made (that was compliant, but I didn't want any) and another type of salsa (that wasn't compliant because it has cheese and beans in it).  But I just walked away.  I didn't really feel any urge to try anything.


Actually feeling pretty good.  We are doing biggest loser right now at work.  A friend has been tracking my weight loss for me (I close my eyes when I step on the scale- only almost fell once lol).  And she submits my loss %.  So I don't know how I am doing, but I feel pretty great, so not concerned.  The biggest loser event ends 2 weeks after our Whole 30, so I might talk my husband into waiting to do our reintroduction phase till after it ends, because I really just don't want to go through those icky feelings while finishing up the program here at work.  I feel great right now and want that same feeling when we complete Biggest Loser.  Regardless of how much I lost, I want to have the Great Feeling to hold on to, because then I know I did well- even if the scale doesn't reflect that.  Does that make sense?

Congrats on staying strong! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the first day that I freaked a little about my eating schedule. The morning started out great, then I got busy. I had an appointment this afternoon at 1:30 and knew that I would need to eat my lunch before I left. The next thing I knew, it was time for me to leave and I hadn’t eaten lunch! I panicked because I wouldn’t be getting home until 3:00. I headed out the door with my first Larabar! When I got home after 3:00, I didn’t know what to do because we usually eat by 6:00. I was afraid if I went ahead and ate a full meal, that I wouldn’t be hungry for our last meal of the day. Sooooooo I ate all my vegetables. I’m pretty sure I probably should not have done it that way. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should have done? Surely this happens to other people, right? Lolol

Other than all of that, we have had a really good week. The weekend is approaching again.......We made it through last weekend, we will make it through this one! I’m looking forward to the next step, TIGER BLOOD!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, @30Rookie -- a couple of things you might try next time this situation happens. First, if you know you need to eat by a certain time before you leave, set a timer so you don't forget. Second, be sure there's food made up ahead of time so you can just grab it without a lot of thought or prep, so you have no excuse not to eat a real meal, even if you have to just grab the food out of the fridge as you walk out the door. Eating vegetables at 3:00 to tide you over was not a bad idea, but I would say to be sure this isn't happening often. The recommended three template meals (plus pre- and post-workout if you're working out) are the minimum amount of food you ought to be eating each day. Skipping one meal one day in your Whole30 is not the end of the world, but if it happens often, you'll end up undernourished and feeling tired and run down, which is not what we want you to experience at all. If you find yourself on the go a lot and needing to take food with you to eat, you probably don't want to rely on Larabars. Many people keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge so they can grab a few of those to take with them, or cans or pouches of tuna or salmon or chicken, packets of olives, compliant jerky, pre-cut vegetables, even leftovers can work, it's just a matter of planning ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Hi, @30Rookie -- a couple of things you might try next time this situation happens. First, if you know you need to eat by a certain time before you leave, set a timer so you don't forget. Second, be sure there's food made up ahead of time so you can just grab it without a lot of thought or prep, so you have no excuse not to eat a real meal, even if you have to just grab the food out of the fridge as you walk out the door. Eating vegetables at 3:00 to tide you over was not a bad idea, but I would say to be sure this isn't happening often. The recommended three template meals (plus pre- and post-workout if you're working out) are the minimum amount of food you ought to be eating each day. Skipping one meal one day in your Whole30 is not the end of the world, but if it happens often, you'll end up undernourished and feeling tired and run down, which is not what we want you to experience at all. If you find yourself on the go a lot and needing to take food with you to eat, you probably don't want to rely on Larabars. Many people keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge so they can grab a few of those to take with them, or cans or pouches of tuna or salmon or chicken, packets of olives, compliant jerky, pre-cut vegetables, even leftovers can work, it's just a matter of planning ahead.

Would you believe I have everyone of your “keep on hand”! Not only that, I also have an alarm set on my phone for my 2nd meal..........I turned my alarm off, because I would remember. Lololol I did not even think about the things I could have grabbed. My mind was focused on my left over porkchop that I wanted to eat. Thank you so much for your tips and suggestions. Even though I have a busy day to day routine, it is rarely interrupted my appointments. Oh, and my alarm is back on now ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's everyone doing on Day 12? I'm feeling great although tonight is the first time I was reluctant to cook and started thinking of all the days ahead and the meal prep coming up for next week. But this too shall pass! My biggest challenge is not eating soon enough after a workout (and not eating before). That's becoming a daily thing to work on. :-) Have a good weekend everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. @ShannonM816 I’m now following you on IG. I’m Tami Rena’s Cookies. Yeah, how funny is that! I bake and decorate cookies for a living. I am proud to say, not one single piece of cookie dough or icing has touched my lips. 

Anyway, you have responded to a few of my posts and I wanted to thank you for your support. I also want to applaud your profession. My aunt, uncle and cousin are all hearing impaired. I’ve always wanted to do what you do.........but the cookie orders keep coming. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ygygold said:

How is everyone doing? 

Sleeping great! I had to change my 4 year old's habit of coming into our bed in the wee hours of the morning, which has gone surprisingly well so far. We also got new fancy pillows over the weekend and they seem to have fixed my problem of waking up with a stiff lower back. (Next stop - new bed, but need to save up for that). Anyhow, the whole 30 set the tone for making these changes for me. I was finding that I could sleep through the night peacefully when my son wasn't here, so thank you diet changes!

Also, I feel very steady emotionally, which is fantastic. I feel more logical. Problems are easier for me to solve (and don't seem as insurmountable). 

Honestly, its still a struggle to get all the right foods in me for busy days, and when I don't i get agitated. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself when I'm at school (Im a grad student) and I can't purchase a snack or meal that satisfies. But those moments are fleeting compared to the overall sense of wellbeing I am experiencing. 

How are you all feeling at the tail end of this journey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Incandescent said:

 

How are you all feeling at the tail end of this journey?

I feel somewhat disappointed this time. I don't have my NSV that I had last time around. And I don't see myself losing as much weight as I did.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ygygold said:

I feel somewhat disappointed this time. I don't have my NSV that I had last time around. And I don't see myself losing as much weight as I did.

 

 

With this being our first time, we have nothing to compare it to except for the way that we used to feel. I feel great! My husband, not so much. I keep telling him that some people may have to do it a little longer to feel the “tiger blood”. 

What we have discovered is that the food is AMAZING!! I have made things I would have never dreamed of making before; BBQ sauce, mayo, ranch dressing, to name a few. I have enjoyed these things more than the store bought bottles! I really want to continue this journey with clean eating. I’ve never been a dairy fan, so I have not missed that one bit. Pasta and breads are my downfall. Since being on Whole30, I miss them but I’m too full to want them. That’s a big win in my book!

I know you are not suppose to weigh yourself until the journey is completed. With that being said, after the completion of week 2, I had to. Lol On week 2 I was down almost 7lbs. I really have not noticed a change in clothing sizes. I see a huge difference with my husband.....figures. To be honest, I did not want to start Whole30 with the thought of loosing weight. I wanted to see what the “tiger blood” was all about and to manage what I was putting into my mouth. Weight loss was an added bonus. 

We start our reintroduction on Tuesday (May 8), to say I am nervous is an understatement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 30Rookie said:

What we have discovered is that the food is AMAZING!! 

Couldn't agree more! 

 

1 hour ago, 30Rookie said:

I know you are not suppose to weigh yourself until the journey is completed. With that being said, after the completion of week 2, I had to. Lol On week 2 I was down almost 7lbs. I really have not noticed a change in clothing sizes. I see a huge difference with my husband.....figures. To be honest, I did not want to start Whole30 with the thought of loosing weight. I wanted to see what the “tiger blood” was all about and to manage what I was putting into my mouth. Weight loss was an added bonus. 

 

I did it for the weight loss, but I don't feel it worked. It might be because this time I rarely worked out. Working out is one of my biggest fears.  

1 hour ago, 30Rookie said:

We start our reintroduction on Tuesday (May 8), to say I am nervous is an understatement!

I want to continue another 30 days, this time with working out for 10-20 minutes every day. I have a couple weddings coming up end of June, so I want to complete another 30 days before that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe it is day 25! Is anyone else worried about Day 31 and after? I have had such a great experience with Whole30 so far. I can't believe how much my sugar cravings are tamed, I have seen a reduction in cellulite, I am sleeping better and longer, have a lot more energy, and have really been enjoying all of our meals. We have food prep/ shopping nailed down! Still doing dishes non-stop, but we have managed to only have one grocery store trip this week. It is so much easier shopping now and I don't spend nearly as much time reading labels and googling if an ingregient is compliant. 

All that said, I am kind of worried about after Whole30. I have read the re-introduction schedule (the slow and 10- day versions), but I don't really feel the need to re-introduce much. I would say the only thing I miss is the occasional dining out with friends/ family. I don't like having to decline invitations because I can't find anything ahead of time on the menu. Has anyone not re-introduced things per the schedule, eating only whole30 style, and just adding in the occasional dining out? Is it okay to just re-introduce at my own pace?  

If anything I can see us re-introducing: black beans, corn, goat cheese, the occasional gluten free crust for pizza, and dark chocolate into our regular diets. I surprisingly don't miss my sugar canister on the counter, bread, creamer, and other foods I consumed regularly. 

Any practical tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, boyercs said:

I can't believe it is day 25! Is anyone else worried about Day 31 and after? I have had such a great experience with Whole30 so far. I can't believe how much my sugar cravings are tamed, I have seen a reduction in cellulite, I am sleeping better and longer, have a lot more energy, and have really been enjoying all of our meals. We have food prep/ shopping nailed down! Still doing dishes non-stop, but we have managed to only have one grocery store trip this week. It is so much easier shopping now and I don't spend nearly as much time reading labels and googling if an ingregient is compliant. 

All that said, I am kind of worried about after Whole30. I have read the re-introduction schedule (the slow and 10- day versions), but I don't really feel the need to re-introduce much. I would say the only thing I miss is the occasional dining out with friends/ family. I don't like having to decline invitations because I can't find anything ahead of time on the menu. Has anyone not re-introduced things per the schedule, eating only whole30 style, and just adding in the occasional dining out? Is it okay to just re-introduce at my own pace?  

If anything I can see us re-introducing: black beans, corn, goat cheese, the occasional gluten free crust for pizza, and dark chocolate into our regular diets. I surprisingly don't miss my sugar canister on the counter, bread, creamer, and other foods I consumed regularly. 

Any practical tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

I feel the exact same way! I love how I feel while eating this way but really miss the ease of eating out and not worrying what the chicken on my salad was cooked in or if there's sugar in the salad dressing (and, not going to lie I miss wine ;-)). I want to try to do the re-introduction for the information side of it but am planning to keep eating Whole30 as much as I can in general. I am mostly worried that I'll slide back into old habits without the structure though. Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HaleyK said:

I feel the exact same way! I love how I feel while eating this way but really miss the ease of eating out and not worrying what the chicken on my salad was cooked in or if there's sugar in the salad dressing (and, not going to lie I miss wine ;-)). I want to try to do the re-introduction for the information side of it but am planning to keep eating Whole30 as much as I can in general. I am mostly worried that I'll slide back into old habits without the structure though. Anyone else?

Same here! I operate really well when there is structure and clear guidelines. I am worried about slipping back into snacking constantly and boredom eating. I can't believe that whole30 has trained my body and mind to sustain itself between meals. I don't even find the urge to snack most days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boyfriend and I are doing Whole 30 together and I agree about the structure being important. We are going to try a schedule where we eat whole 30 3 days a week, vegetarian 2 days a week (so adding tofu and beans back in), then have a cheat day. This is a schedule we are going to try to stick to. I know if we don't have structure I'll start snacking on rice crackers and such and start eating ice cream on the regular. Its such a slippery slope! We both feel great and enjoy eating this way. The one unknown is alcohol. He doesn't want to touch it anymore, but I miss wine with meals. I need to figure that one out...Maybe I will only have wine when out to dinner or on special occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 9:15 AM, boyercs said:

All that said, I am kind of worried about after Whole30. I have read the re-introduction schedule (the slow and 10- day versions), but I don't really feel the need to re-introduce much. I would say the only thing I miss is the occasional dining out with friends/ family. I don't like having to decline invitations because I can't find anything ahead of time on the menu. Has anyone not re-introduced things per the schedule, eating only whole30 style, and just adding in the occasional dining out? Is it okay to just re-introduce at my own pace?  

You can do reintroduction any way you want to, but the value of making sure you just have one thing at a time is that then you know how that one thing affects you, which can help you determine whether it's ever worth it to you to have it. For instance, if you find that black beans cause immediate bloating and gas, you might decide they're not really worth having at dinner when you're heading to a movie immediately afterward, but maybe you're okay having them at home. If you decide you're just going to occasionally go out and order whatever sounds good, you may get beans and dairy and corn all at once, for instance in nachos or burritos, and then if you have a reaction, you don't know which item caused it, so you can't really avoid the one that bothered you. Even if you do the slow roll reintroduction, you should try to only have one type of non-whole30 food at a time so you can know how they affected you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Incandescent said:

My boyfriend and I are doing Whole 30 together and I agree about the structure being important. We are going to try a schedule where we eat whole 30 3 days a week, vegetarian 2 days a week (so adding tofu and beans back in), then have a cheat day.

Structure and rules are good. Be careful with the cheat days, though. Here's the official Whole30 take on cheat days (from this article:   https://whole30.com/step-four-finished/)

Quote

So how do you allow yourself to indulge in less healthy (but totally worth it) foods without turning back into a Cookie Monster? Here’s our basic strategy; but first, a word from our sponsor: Do not plan cheat days. That is just setting yourself up for failure. Do not decide ahead of time that on Saturday, you’re going to want pancakes, brownies, ice cream, and movie theater popcorn. Because when Saturday rolls around, even if you don’t want pancakes, brownies, ice cream, or popcorn… you will eat them anyway, because you told yourself you could. This is the opposite of the strategy we want you to follow.

I really recommend reading that article for some tips on life after Whole30. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 12:03 AM, 30Rookie said:

P.S. @ShannonM816 I’m now following you on IG. I’m Tami Rena’s Cookies. Yeah, how funny is that! I bake and decorate cookies for a living. I am proud to say, not one single piece of cookie dough or icing has touched my lips. 

Anyway, you have responded to a few of my posts and I wanted to thank you for your support. I also want to applaud your profession. My aunt, uncle and cousin are all hearing impaired. I’ve always wanted to do what you do.........but the cookie orders keep coming. Lol

I just saw this today -- I did wonder how a cookie person found my account. It's good to know what I do for a living is helping people -- since I rarely interact with the people who are using closed captions, it's easy to feel like no one is really seeing them and wonder why I even bother. Your cookies look amazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 12:18 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Structure and rules are good. Be careful with the cheat days, though. Here's the official Whole30 take on cheat days (from this article:   https://whole30.com/step-four-finished/)

I really recommend reading that article for some tips on life after Whole30. 

 

I've done Whole30 twice before, with great results, so this is the third round for me in 2 years. Unfortunately, I have found that after a while, the deliberate tasting of delicious foods just once in a while turns into "whenever I want". Don't get me wrong, I know it's not in my best interest to be eating pizza regularly (even if its gluten free). However, when faced with hunger 3 or more times a day, making the right choice each time has been enormously difficult. So, for me, adding one day on which I can eat any food, is appealing. Then, I can't make a choice to indulge 6 days out of the 7. It will be an experiment of course. I'm not sure how it will go. My hope is that, say I eat a sandwich on cheat day and some ice cream (I don't plan to eat all noncompliant foods, just a couple things), within a couple days of eating clean after that day, my body will be back to it's optimum self. I wouldn't advocate for anyone else trying my experiment, but I am sharing what I think MIGHT work for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now