Day 3 and bloated! Help!

I recently started the Whole30, yay! Day 1 I felt super human, I was eating a lot more than I usually do (prior I had primarily a vegetarian based diet--and snacked a lot on hummus/pretzels/dark chocolate--but relatively healthy) and felt energized. Day 2 in the morning I felt great as well, and I've been having much more regular movements in the restroom...which is a big plus for me since I've struggled with IBS/Lactose Intolerance/overall belly malaise for 6+ years. But today (Day 3) I feel awful! I just ate lunch very similarly to yesterday, and I could barely get myself to eat the whole thing. My pants feel so tight and I'm bloating, spilling over them. I can't remember the last time I felt this way. Any recommendations? motivation?

Thank you Whole30 angels!!

• Administrators

Hi @Hazelgrace - this is fairly normal, take a read of the timeline. Although you may be a bit further ahead in the timeline to be experiencing bloating now, the same principles apply. Your body is working hard to balance your new intake composition and quantity. 

https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Thank you so much @ladyshanny, I appreciate your help and quick reply. Should I eat more cooked veggies to help? I have been eating a lot of fresh vegetables at lunch--maybe too many. I also didn't realize I could move a little faster, that's good to know! It felt a little soon for bloating.

• Administrators
Just now, Hazelgrace said:

Thank you so much @ladyshanny, I appreciate your help and quick reply. Should I eat more cooked veggies to help? I have been eating a lot of fresh vegetables at lunch--maybe too many.

Raw veggies definitely contribute to bloating. As do excess nuts/nut products, high amounts of cruciferous (broc/cauli) veggies. Bubbly water can contribute as well. Do you want to list out the last few days of your food and we can see if anything stands out?

Yes! I've definitely been high on the nut/veggie end. I've also found myself snacking a bit...maybe my meals aren't big enough? Here's the last few days

Day 1:

Potato swoodles with 1 piece of bacon and a fried egg

raw cashews and raisins

Turkey burger with fresh greens and tomatoes

banana with almond butter

cauliflower rice with onion, tomato, cold cut turkey and kale/basil/walnut pesto

Day 2:

1/2 sweet potato with salt and 1 fried egg

cashews/raisins/almond butter/1/2 apple

BLT salad with goddess dressing (tomato, onion, kale, spinach, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 hard boiled egg)

1/2 plaintain 

Ahi Tuna served with avocado, pineapple, tomato 

Day 3: (today!)

1/2 sweet potato and 1 fried egg

cashews and raisins, seaweed

spinach/kale salad with 1/2 plaintain, turkey sausage, guac, homemade salsa, red peppers, jalapeno, tomato, onion

Thank you!

• Administrators

Have you seen the meal template? https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Each meal should be composed in such a way that gets you 4-5 hours between. Eggs, when they are your sole protein, are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; 3-4 is a good start for most people.

If you need to snack between meals, make it a protein + fat or protein + veg. The dried fruit/fruit/nuts/seeds combos aren't doing anything for you.

Check out the deli-turkey - deli meats are notoriously hard to find without any non-compliant ingredients. There are a couple brands out there but just take another look. And remember the template - 1-2 palms of protein (the length, width and thickness of your own palm). You'd have to eat a tonne of deli meat to get that size of a serving, it's not the best selection for a meal-sized protein.

The template also asks for 2-3 cups of cooked veggies or equivalent. Half a sweet potato or potato shreds isn't cutting it, sorry! You can include the sweet potato but then also add a couple cups of a non-starchy veggie.

The goal for you is going to be getting your meals to match the template, cutting out the known bloaters (nuts, dried fruit, seeds, raw veggies etc) and meal composition such that you do not require snacking.

Thank you for the tips!

I have been doing my best to follow the template, I have it taped up in my kitchen! But I'm also a pretty small person, so I'm definitely struggling with some of the portion size/hand size adjustments. And my deli turkey is safe! From a local organic butcher with no additives :) The template reminders are really helpful and I'll work to cut down on bloaters and up on proteins and fats!

1 hour ago, Hazelgrace said:

Thank you for the tips!

I have been doing my best to follow the template, I have it taped up in my kitchen! But I'm also a pretty small person, so I'm definitely struggling with some of the portion size/hand size adjustments. And my deli turkey is safe! From a local organic butcher with no additives :) The template reminders are really helpful and I'll work to cut down on bloaters and up on proteins and fats!

Hang in there! @ladyshanny gave you some great feedback, so you should be seeing some improvements soon. It does take a while to get the meal template down and figure out the best meal sizes for YOU. So don't get discouraged if you don't have it all figured out in just a few days - you'll get there if you just keep experimenting and tweaking!

Archived