Whole 30 with Gout

So, this is the second week on the program for my husband and I, and he has been struck down with a horrible flair of gout since day 4.  It's so bad that he's not able to walk at all. It's the worst flair-up he's ever had.  I'm /SO/ disappointed in this program that preached how eating this 'healthy' way was the cure for inflammation and pain conditions. 

Before I lose my temper completely, I want to reach out and see if anyone else has been struggling with this. My husband is amazingly still eating on program despite the pain he's in and being off work the past three days because he can't walk.  I'm not sure this program is worth it if he's going to have this spike in his pain eating this way.  The program wasn't supposed to make people worse than they started.   

Please help!

The Brat <3

• Administrators

HI @Lady Bratface - sorry that your husband is struggling. Just to be clear, Whole30 has never proclaimed that it's the cure for anything, it's simply an elimination diet designed to help folks determine what is problematic for them. The foods removed are generally those which are inflammatory so this way of eating can reduce inflammation but it cannot be said to cure anything. It's completely possible for your husband to be eating things which are Whole30 compliant but which do not agree with his condition. Some items which are Whole30 compliant but can be inflammatory are white potatoes, peppers, eggs for some people.

Can you give us a rundown on what he's been eating the last few days? How is Whole30 different from how he normally eats? Is he eating a lot of something he didn't before? Usually it tends to be proteins that are problematic with gout, what are his portions like? What was it like before?

Yes, yes, I know the program isn't a cure-all, but it's sure touted as a means to eliminate all inflammation issues.  I knew to take it with a grain of salt that it was probably just like any ol' fad diet, I just wanted it to be better.

Anyway...

Last week breakfasts  for him have been No'tmeal (Apples, nuts) and banana.  Otherwise Eggs, Sausage, Potato.  One morning we did kale in the eggs.

Lunches:  Chicken, carrot/celery/cucumber with dipping sauce (Avacado, basil and Whole30 Mayo).  Meatball soup with squash, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and cabbage.

Dinners: Shepherds pie (Whole 30 Recipe), Cuban Pork, Chicken Tiki (Whole 30), Hamburger lettuce wraps, Grilled chicken. Veggies: Broccoli,  Squash, Cabbage, Kale, Swiss Chard, cauliflower 'rice'.  Oranges. Almonds and cashews.

We typically have about two-three cups of veggies and it's hard to give an estimate on the meat sizes but trying to use the 'palm' method.  Tend to not eat the whole meal because we are full. Due to the flair up, he's drinking sugar-free Cherry juice. (yeah, yeah, you're not supposed to on program, but cherry juice is supposed to help.)

His diet before included a lot of breads but he was already cutting back on the sugar (He gave up soda months ago).  We're eating larger portions now than we did before due to the nature of his 'diet'.  

Currently, his doctor is prescribing him medication for the gout because this attack has been so acute.  Not sure what else he should/can cut out from this program without just not eating anything. LOL.  

The only thing I can think of eating wheat. He ate  whole grain pasta and bread as part of most meals and now that's cut to zero.  Mostly he's kept away from shellfish and really fatty meats because they are big triggers.  Now he might have to cut back red meat.  

He's still unable to walk today.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:42 AM, ladyshanny said:

I've found considerable information online that fructose can play a large part in gout flare ups as well. Is he eating a lot more fruit than normal?

Hi Ladyshanny;

He's not eating any more fruit than usual. 

The new medication his doctor prescribed seems to be helping. He has been able to walk as of Saturday. We also made a cucumber/ginger/grapefruit smoothie for him, along with a LOT of cherry juice. I think the medication is what's really helping, but regardless, at least he's able to get back to work after a WEEK.

I'm so proud that he didn't cave ONCE during his down time.

• 3 months later...

My doctors love the WHOLE30 and the success I have had on it like 70 pounds in 4 months!! I do have to say I was ill during this time frame  with kidney stones which blocked my kidney from working and I was with constant infection the whole time I have had this before so Whole30 was not a contributor to the problem! Stones are also caused  Uric Acid. I also lost weight too fast which caused some problems with lean muscle lost. My Urologist stated a needed to stay on a low Purine Diet and added some medications to help with the stones. 2 things that help to rid your body of uric acid  are white starches and dairy products draw purines out of your body so for a while I tried adding these back in and started gaining weight back so we reviewed the diet to  determined what vegetables are high in starch and crossed off the ones to really stay away from. I am now doing Whole30 with those changes. Dairy is an issue and with a low purine diet you only get 6 oz. of protein a day! and I make sure 2 oz. of it is dairy not on the diet I know but I will see how it effects it I am hoping sticking to everything else will still be a big help. All so my doctor added calcium citrate to my routine-he would rather have me lose the weight which also contributes to uric acid than added the dreaded white starches back! I would like to also add shellfish is another big protein to stay away from and Tuna which was my always easy to go to protein is no more.

This is in my opinion a great diet and feeling so great almost immediately has been wonderful. One of the other things I liked about it was not having to count anything just remember the 3 basics protein, vegetables and fruit  and there you have it! I wish all of you luck and helps this gives some information to people with gout and I hope my 2oz a day will not be a killer.

Archived