Bare Banana and Cinnamon chips

JamieStonesifer

Hi all,

just started the whole 30 yesterday. I ate plantain chips and realized after more research that they weren’t compliant so I started over today. I ate bare banana chips (only banana and cinnamon as ingredients) and now I am worried that these are not compliant. Can some one help? I only had about 10.

best,

jamie

• Moderators

Sorry, no commercially prepared chips of any kind.  Also, if you're eating these becasue you're hungry between meals, protein and fat is going to do you a world more good than dried fruit chips - go for a hardboiled egg and mayo or something similar if you need to eat between meals :)

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 7:37 PM, JamieStonesifer said:

Hi all,

just started the whole 30 yesterday. I ate plantain chips and realized after more research that they weren’t compliant so I started over today. I ate bare banana chips (only banana and cinnamon as ingredients) and now I am worried that these are not compliant. Can some one help? I only had about 10.

best,

jamie

Then what about this this does say pair apple chips are whole 30 compliant. So why wouldn’t banana chips be whole 30 compliant they are just dried bananas with cinnamon?

4BB2A87D-998E-4AE7-8998-24E13C51CCD0.png

Any list of compliant foods on a website that is not www.whole30.com can't just be taken at face value. Lots of "health blogs" write content to draw in readers without fully researching the actual program they're writing about. Or this could have been written before the "no commercially prepared chips" rule. Either way, the current rules say no commercially prepared chips or deep fried chips regardless of the ingredients. So that's what we're going with. 

• 1 year later...

This baffles me a bit. Dates from stores are allowed. While bananas (even baked) have a higher natural sugar content than dates, if the banana slices were in a container would they be ok instead of a bag? If they were called slices instead of chips would they be compliant? If I’m allowed to slice and bake my own banana slices the only difference is that the “Bare” banana slices cost me more and are called chips. They are ONLY bananas and are baked. Nothing else added. Now if it is a mental part of the program related to bad habits and based in the idea that most people take a bag of anything and eat a lot of it then it should hold that someone who eats only three banana chips twice a week with a meal should still be compliant. 

I'd say that someone who "only" eats banana chips twice a week and is unhappy with this rule is maybe a little more stuck on the banana chips than they think. I enjoy banana chips quite a bit but I can't remember the last time I ate them. The rule doesn't bother me. 

The rule is the rule. You want to do a "WholePatrick" and continue to have your chips rather than look at why this rule "baffles" you, then go for it. Try replacing the banana chips with an actual banana and see how that goes. 

You’re a hoot! You may want to ask yourself why you’d avoid a few banana chips once in a while since you really enjoy them. I think I’ll take Mellisa’s own words to heart (which I found after I posed my bafflement) but I do think WHOLEPATRICK is fantastic! To remind you of what Melissa said last year about fruit and dried fruit... “I have a three-part recommendation: first, make a rule that fruit isn’t to be eaten by itself; second, identify a set portion up front that you know both suits your meal planning needs and doesn’t make you feel bad, physically or emotionally, and third, practice mindful eating with fruit or other sweet “treats.”

11 hours ago, Patrick77 said:

You’re a hoot! You may want to ask yourself why you’d avoid a few banana chips once in a while since you really enjoy them. I think I’ll take Mellisa’s own words to heart (which I found after I posed my bafflement) but I do think WHOLEPATRICK is fantastic! To remind you of what Melissa said last year about fruit and dried fruit... “I have a three-part recommendation: first, make a rule that fruit isn’t to be eaten by itself; second, identify a set portion up front that you know both suits your meal planning needs and doesn’t make you feel bad, physically or emotionally, and third, practice mindful eating with fruit or other sweet “treats.”

Regardless of the fact that it's none of your business why I don't seek out banana chips, they're in the cereal aisle in my local supermarket. I don't eat cereal, and banana chips aren't a constant presence in my mind, so I rarely buy them. 

I've been here a while, man. Most people who fight against one particular aspect of a rule are fixated on a particular food in a way that's bordering on addiction. Just something to think about. *Why* is it so important to you that you need to keep having your banana chips? 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Patrick77 said:

Now if it is a mental part of the program related to bad habits and based in the idea that most people take a bag of anything and eat a lot of it then it should hold that someone who eats only three banana chips twice a week with a meal should still be compliant. 

It would be very hard for us to make a rule like that tho right?  'No commercially available chips allowed except if you only eat them 2 times a week and then only if you don't feel like you have an attachment to them'.  We have to make the rules consistent across the board and one of those rules is 'no commercially available chips'.  Also, making them yourself instead of buying them pre-made often makes people rethink these types of 'convenience' foods... sure I can make sweet potato chips at home, but do I WANT to screw around thinly slicing just so, standing guard over the oven so they don't burn?  Not much of a convenience and I'm going to be less likely to reach for them mindlessly when I've invested myself in them... does that make sense?

There are a couple of rules that are hard to wrap my had around and this is one of them, but as Madeline says, I'm fairly certain it's about the act of mindlessly eating a bag of "chips" whether they're a bag of Lays, or an alternative such as Bare Apple Chips. This is kind of a SWYPO thing - you're replacing one snack food with another so at the end of the 30 days when you can eat any ingredient again, you still have the habit of eating a bag of "chips" in front of the TV. If you make your own food, you're more aware of what you're putting into your body, even on a subconscious level. Apple chips are fairly easy to make for yourself (recipe: https://www.wellplated.com/apple-chips/), and here's a recipe for banana chips: https://www.momables.com/homemade-banana-chips-recipe-baked/

"No commercially prepared chips" is a very clear rule, which makes it fairly easy to comply.  When you ask about them in the "Can I Have ____?" section of the forum, mods will answer with the exact rule because again, it's very very clear cut. That said, no one is going to come to your home/office and rip the apple chips or banana chips from your hands.  Whole30 is a voluntary program - if you follow the rules and guidelines exactly, you'll benefit from it more. If you don't, you'll probably still benefit but to a slightly lesser degree. 

Archived