nsquared kicking off first Whole30+ on 1/1/13

Nila

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19

For the first day in 2 weeks, I did not have a boundless energy day. By 3:30 I hit a brick wall. I hadn't made it to 8 hours of sleep for the previous 3 nights and just barely got there last night, so maybe I was simply tired. I also didn't get vegetables in my first meal, other than salsa. Then I went resale shopping today which can be exhausting in itself and has me fighting perfume smells. We ended up at Chipotle for my 2nd meal. I feel a touch icky after that. Can't say why other than the fact that the raw onion in their tomato salsa is much more prominent than I like. Raw onion messes with me. Whatever it was or is, I took an hour nap and have taken it easy the rest of the day. I'm sure I'll rebound tomorrow.

Eaten

1. Eggs, avocado, salsa

2. Chipotle carnitas, guacamole, lettuce, tomato salsa, lime

3. Beef (frozen grass fed patties that I braised with spices), sweet potato, avocado dressing, broccoli, apple sauce, a taste of coconut butter

Oh yeah...coconut butter! I bought a jar on Thursday and just took it out of the pantry to test it out. Yum!

Day 20

Eaten:

1. Breakfast casserole (eggs, homemade chorizo, sweet potato - 1/6 of the recipe which is pretty much this one), sauteed baby kale, kale/jalapeno/cilantro pesto
  2. Strangely hungry just 3 hours later, so more breakfast casserole and a small sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon
  3. Tried a cup of oolong tea with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and coconut milk but it was very meh to me. My son drank it. :)
  4. Hungry (weak, shaky, not craving) again a few hours later but close to when I'd be pulling the chicken out of the oven so I had a couple spoons of coconut butter and some apple sauce - I realize this isn't the best choice and hardly a mini meal but frankly, I didn't have the energy to pull anything else together at the time.
  5. 1/4 of a roast chicken, green beans with crisped prosciutto, roasted carrots - I could only eat half of what I put on my plate.

And yet...

I've been very weak and hungry today. I wrote in yesterday's log post that about halfway through the day I started feeling tired. Even so, up until today, I could easily go 6 hours before eating again.

I got 8.5 hours of sleep last night plus an hour nap yesterday afternoon. I've done a little housecleaning today but nothing extraordinary in terms of physical activity. I've drunk the same amount of water and iced weak green/herbal tea I do every day.

I'm simply drained. My arms and legs feel weak and heavy.

Am I doing something wrong?

Do I have a bug?

Did I eat something bad at Chipotle without knowing it?

Am I feeling the effects of stress from this proposal presentation I have tomorrow?

It doesn't feel good. I'd like to solve this.

I did manage to drag myself through separating the rest of the chicken meat from the carcass and tossing the bones in a pot with the requisite vegetables for stock. I look forward to that goodness.

I take pics with Instagram on my phone. Then on laptop go on to webstagram site and copy the image location URL into your post using the image button above.

I tried this today. I was so hopeful. I got my post all written and inserted an image with a URL, hit post and.......no go. I got a message that I'm not allowed to use the extension in this community. Hrmmmm.

I'm simply drained. My arms and legs feel weak and heavy. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a bug? Did I eat something bad at Chipotle without knowing it? Am I feeling the effects of stress from this proposal presentation I have tomorrow? It doesn't feel good. I'd like to solve this.

What I found works for me: limit carbs. My breakfasts have no sweet potato or butternut squash or fruit. I make sure there are greens involved. Yesterday I made a sausage stir fry with sausage, broccoli slaw (which is just julienned broccoli stems and a bit of carrot), a small yellow onion, a small red onion, a package of baby bella mushrooms, and two bunches of swiss chard. I have that with a couple of soft scrambled eggs and sauerkraut. When I'm not doing that I have sauteed greens with onions and garlic and a splash of vinegar to have with eggs and some bacon or a sausage patty and more sauerkraut. Maybe it's the probiotics in the sauerkraut?

Lunch this week will be a lot of salads with leftover baked chicken thighs, or clams, or salmon cakes, or a chicken salad with homemade mayo if I get around to it.

I also started a batch of green tea kombucha yesterday. I am looking forward to making my own regularly. I also started some water kefir. They've all got good probiotics so if you're having some detox symptoms.. what did you eat at Chipotle? I've been okay eating the chicken because the carnitas does not taste very good to me, but they do use soybean oil in the marinade.

Nila, I feel like we're in the same place. It sounds like you're eating well and doing everything right.

I have felt kinda blah overall in the physical sense for the past couple of days. And my workouts have been lackluster. This morning, I went into a workout where I was supposed to deadlift [x] + 10 lbs. The [x] is an amount I lifted, without too much effort, last week. So it should be no problem to add 10 pounds to that, right? Lo and behold, I was barely able to lift [x]. The same amount I'd already handled with ease a few days ago. I just shook my head. I won't get too hung up on why today was not fabulously triumphant.

In some ways this reminds me of my years practicing piano as a kid. I'd practice and practice, show up faithfully for my lesson, and then get tripped up the same old problems that hindered me the week before. I'd try to tell my instructor, I promise that I did practice! Then head home, practice as usual for another week — and when I showed up for the lesson the next week, I'd have taken a huge leap forward.

These things aren't always linear — it's like regression (or stasis) is, in a strange way, a critical part of moving forward.

I think if we stay with it, the energetic dip will pass and we'll be feeling vigorous again. Just gotta stay focused on the big picture.

Day 21

I'm still a little flat in the energy department today though not quite as ravenous as yesterday.

My proposal presentation went well. It's good to be on the other side of planting those seeds.

Late this afternoon, I decided that we all could use a change of pace so we headed out to a mall where there's an Elevation Burger and nice eye candy. I picked up a julienne peeler to shake up my vegetable routine. And I splurged on a couple of Lush bath bombs as my special treat for getting 3 weeks in to my Whole30.

Eaten:

1. Breakfast casserole, kale/jalapeno/cilantro pesto, mayonnaise
  2. Leftover roast chicken, mayo, green beans, carrots
  3. 3 burger patties, lettuce wrapped, tomato, mustard, side salad with olive oil and pepper

My kids wanted chocolate from Godiva at the mall. So I sent my husband in to buy it with them while I bought my peeler. On the way home, they munched away on their chocolate while I kept sticking my super sensitive nose in the Lush bag. I survived. Yay...I survived! (I used to love chocolate.)

I stepped on a scale today...at the doctor's office. It's not the same scale or the same suit (the birthday one) that I used to weigh myself at the beginning of my Whole30, so it's pretty irrelevant. My doctor said he wants to see my keep going and stay on a strict paleo diet. So, there you go. I'm doing WholeWhateverDoesTheNumberEvenMatter for the foreseeable future. I'm on board. I really want the inflammation to go away.

He also advised me to, instead of jumping into stressful exercise (much is for me at this point) that I continue my yoga practice and to take get up and move around for 10 minutes every hour while I'm working at my desk. I'm pretty sure I can manage that. So that's starting tomorrow. I have many hours to sit at my desk for the rest of this week. I'll have plenty of time to practice.

Also, my doctor told me about a guy in his practice who did a Whole60 recently and reduced his blood pressure from 160/110 to 120/70 over that time. And his blood sugars went from diabetic levels to normal. Love it.

Bring on normal health. Bring. It. On.

Day 22

9.5 hours of sleep last night. That was very nice. And today my energy began it's return. Cause or correlation? Either way...welcome back energy.

Eating wasn't quite as easy as usual. I had a business meeting over lunch and then an impromptu dinner party sort of thing for a friend who'd come into town. I didn't get enough to eat at lunch so I ate more afterward. Then I ate before the dinner thing only to eat again. I wasn't sure there would be anything for me and didn't want to risk an empty stomach in this situation with people eating things all around me. It's not the norm, so I'm going to let it slide, especially since the what I ate was in line.

Eaten:

1. Breakfast casserole with pesto and mayo, green beans
  2. The world's smallest tenderloin medallions, a speck of roasted cauliflower, chopped salad (all vegetable) with olive oil
  3. Chicken salad (leftover roast chicken, mayo, raisins)
  4. 2 Applegate Farms beef hot dogs (cold...ick), banana (I grabbed this stuff at a store on the go)
  5. Plain burger with lettuce and tomato, "cup" (more like half cup) of fruit
  6. Chai with a splash of coconut milk

I found the two restaurants to be very accommodating though the first, an upscale chain, had more trouble doing so than the mom and pop casual place I went for dinner. I was rather appalled at what I paid for what was barely more than 3 oz of cooked steak (that wasn't all that tasty) and the meager vegetables that accompanied it. Well, I should say appalled at what my business "date" paid. :D I made sure to tell both that the only true allergy I have is seafood but that it's very important that I not eat things from the list I gave them, noting that it's truly doctor's orders. I apologized, as I tend to do, for being high maintenance. Neither server batted an eye and even seem interested in what I was working on. It felt good to not seem like a freak show out there in the world beyond my own kitchen.

Day 23

I felt good today. I had plenty of energy. I didn't get hungry. My mood was good. Whatever those few days were, I'm glad they are behind me.

I don't if the scale would say so, but I'm feeling that my body has changed. I'm much less bloaty, really not bloaty at all. But I also just can feel difference here and there. It's hard to describe here.

I spent most of the day at my desk, save for cooking, eating, and drop off and pick up of the kids for school. I got up at least once an hour and moved around or at least stood while I worked.

My first and second meals were a strange concoction of leftovers and vegetables that needed to be moving on.

My eggs didn't come in my Green B.E.A.N. Delivery today. :( No eggs for me tomorrow. And if I don't get to a store tomorrow, none for the next few days either. Darn it.

Eaten:

1. Small chunk of egg casserole with kale pesto, one egg fried in ghee, mug of some Indian-ish chicken thing (leftover chicken, coconut milk, ghee, roasted carrots, spices)
  2. Turnip/mushroom/tomato saute (ghee), more of the chicken stuff
  3. A stew of ground beef, onions, garlic, cabbage, tomatoes, smoked paprika, thyme, tomato paste; topped with Cholula

Drunk:

1. Water
  2. Herbal tea, iced
  3. Black chai (just tea), hot

My Mountain Rose Herbs order came today with my favorite white tea, organic herbs (thyme, sage, ground celery seed), and a new discovery - smoked sea salt. It's fabulous! It's a wonderful place to order essential oils, tea, herbs and spices.

I love Mountain Rose Herbs! What kind of white tea do you like? I'm getting more into teas now that I'm trying to keep coffee out of my life. I just joined a Frontier coop but I did join a one-time MRH coop and got some good stuff!

I had a good energy day today, too. I need to go check in on the 1/1/13 thread and see if others are feeling improvement too?

I just get white peony and blend it with other things like lemongrass, lemon verbena and spearmint. I also like their Easy Day too. It's an herbal that makes a nice iced tea.

I don't care for coffee. I've not drunk a half cup total my entire life. I have drunk tea as long as I can remember. In the beginning it was literally instant tea. (Gack!). Then I moved to Lipton tea bags. Somewhere along the line I had real tea and haven't looked back. In the past 15-20 years I've moved to lighter tastes.

I see fewer people talking about being tired or grumpy. Some still are but it does seem there was a mass ick.

Day 24

It was a pretty uneventful day in the whole scheme of things. I got a ton of stuff done...lots of SEO and social media stuff for my own business...a couple of blog posts.

Okay, there was an event. I made dinner to take to another family. I know they are no where near Paleo. And while I feel guilty about making them food I wouldn't eat, I did it. Hash brown casserole, smoked sausage, green beans (those were edible by me). It's weird to make food that I can't even taste. I have to trust my cooking and actually follow a recipe when I can't taste it.

Plenty of energy today. And now I'm sleeeeepy.

Eaten:

1. Sausage, sweet potato, ghee
  2. Leftover cabbage casserole, 2 Applegate Farms hot dogs
  3. Chicken broth (while I was cooking for others...and cooking a breakfast casserole ahead for myself)
  4. Sausage, eggs, green beans, banana

Bed, please.

Day 25

Work. Work. Work. I was on my backside all day. I looked at Mark Sissons Primal Fitness book. Does that count?

Eaten:

1. Breakfast casserole (this time I added chopped and pre-steamed broccoli stem, mushrooms) - YUM!, mayo, kale/jalapeno/cilantro pesto
  2. Leftover cabbage casserole mixed with 2 sliced Applegate Farms hot dogs and a handful of green beans, with a dollop of mayo
  3. Banana, almond butter, coconut milk chai
  4. Two braised beef burgers, green beans, yam with coconut oil and cinnamon

My face is a little breaky-outy. The timing suggests hormones. I wonder if I'll have other timing related issues...mood, tenderness, crampy.

I need to hit up Whole Foods this weekend. I'm running out of some staples. Or, can I get by without ghee, ground pork, eggs, cauliflower, garlic, and sweet potatoes for another few (or several) days? I'll bet I can. I have coconut oil, ground beef, turnips, rutabagas, onions, and a host of other fresh vegetables.

I want to do nothing that looks remotely like work tomorrow - domestic or business. I envision candles, cushy spaces, books, and films.

I posted these figures in the 1/1/13 Whole30 log, but I'll record it here for myself more than anything. Blood work results came in from Monday.

• Fibrinogen went down from 527 to 413 - goal is 300 or lower (too high = sticky blood)
  • A.M. cortisol went up to 7.5 from 3 - is now within normal (too low = fatigue)
  • Homocysteine is up to 3.9 after being below 1 - 4.5 to 11.9 is the goal (too low correlated with heart disease, as is too high)

I have not measured insulin or CRP this month but will within the next two months.

And those are my random thoughts for the day.

Day 26

So much for that relaxing day I imagined. My son has grown about half a foot since the last time we went through his clothes. With his dwindling options, we decided to go through every single item to see what still fits. I bagged up more than half of what he owned for charity. We hauled that off and went shopping for a few items. I figured since I'd be out, I might as well grocery shop too. And so we also landed at Whole Foods which was a very busy place late this afternoon. Shockingly busy. By the time we arrived home it was time to make dinner. I was anxious to do so having splurged on pastured New York strips for my husband and I.

I'm wondering if I had a reaction to the almond butter I ate last night or the 3 consecutive days of eating bananas. I have spots on my abdomen where I get very itchy, bilaterally, at times. Over the years I've decided it is one of my body's reactions to intolerable food. The only thing that's been different in my diet, as far as I can recall, was what I've already mentioned. I've eaten at home or food from home for the last several days. I haven't been eating many nuts during this Whole30. I need to go back over my log, but I think I'd only had macadamia nuts and a little almond oil. I'll try it again in a few weeks and see what happens.

Over on the Whole100 log, people have been talking about breaking the Whole100 into 3rds and focusing on a different aspect of what they need for their health. I'm wondering if I'm going to do that too, in way, treating each month as a renewal for some aspect of WholeLife. Mulling.

Eaten:

1. Egg casserole, mayo, Cholula
  2. 2 Applegate Farms beef hot dogs (so, so over these guys right now), 2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil, beets
  3. New York strip browned in ghee and finished in the oven, baby bok choy lightly sauteed in the pan after the steaks, fresh tomatoes tossed with mayo and basil (this may have been one of my favorite meals so far)

I just took a long lovely bath, reading while the jets worked their magic on me.

I have another long night's sleep ahead of me. Yay! Adequate sleep is clearly crucial to energy and mood. I'm average just over 8 hours a night so far this month. I'd like to get it higher. Yet, I appreciate that I've made progress. In November I averaged 7.9 and in December 7.7. I like where the numbers in my life are heading.

Thanks to all who read, whether you comment or not. I appreciate the depth of reading that goes on here and the difficulty in the busyness of all our lives that may prevent us from thoughtfully commenting on each post we read.

Day 27

I spent a few hours doing some prep. I made seasoned 6 pounds of ground meats and cooked 4 pounds of it. The chorizo needs to sit over night at least. Then I peeled and otherwise prepped every vegetable I had in my refrigerator. It was a load of work and I hope that it makes other meals this week easier.

I tried to sleep as long as possible last night and only made it to 8.5 hours before my body said "done!"

I only started feeling tired or sleepy in the last 30 minutes. Right on cue.

It's time for me to meditate now, I'd better get this log done and get on the cushion.

Eaten:

1. 3 eggs, turkey breakfast sausage, an heirloom tomato sautéed
  2. Turkey sausage, green beans, coconut butter
  3. Chicken fajitas (chicken breast, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, seasonings, lime and lemon juice stir-fried in coconut oil), guacamole (my daughter makes the best guar), mango and kiwi

Have I mentioned that I have monster hands (hair-free, thankfully)? A palm-size serving for me is, erm, healthy...like 4.25"x4"x1.25". And my fingers are looong. So without context, my hands look normal. But when I compare them to others'...mercy. And I can hold 5 eggs. I don't have the grip strength anymore, but I used to "palm" a basketball. I should probably be playing piano. Okay, just a little Nila trivia should you ever need it.

Güten Nacht!

Over on the Whole100 log, people have been talking about breaking the Whole100 into 3rds and focusing on a different aspect of what they need for their health. I'm wondering if I'm going to do that too, in way, treating each month as a renewal for some aspect of WholeLife. Mulling.

Thanks for sharing this... I haven't been to that forum in a long time, this is a very good idea and I am also considering transition options

You are sure doing well, keep it up.

We are closing on our new house in two weeks. What I am buying myself to celebrate completion of my Whole30 and 21 DSD is a stand up desk. I am going to start building up standing while I work...I'll begin with 15 minute intervals, then increase to 30 so that eventually, I am standing at least half of my work day. I'm hoping that helps since I sit on my butt all day long, glued to my computer.

Congratulations on improving your blood work results! i can not wait to go to my doctor to do blood work again. He is going to be so impressed with my A1c and chances are he will either discontinue the ACE inhibitor (prescribed to protect my kidneys because of the diabetes) because my blood pressure is dropping too much. I have already cut the pill in half, but I am going to have to cut it in 4ths because I am still having problems maintaining a normal number. The doctor on call when I had the problem originally told me to stop altogether, but when my doc called back, he suggested cutting it in half instead.

Part of me feels guilty because I feel like I am experiencing these great results where others on our other board are struggling, but I know it is because I had so many medical issues to fix as well as the fact that I did a 21 DSD at the same time (which means my fruit intake was a lot more restricted) and I cut out coffee and I really haven't had any dessert/snack type items at all.

What test does your doctor run that indicated inflammation? When I had a hysterectomy a couple years ago, my doctor told me that when he opened me up, every organ in my body appeared swollen. I wondered if there is anyway to monitor that and I know you have discussed inflammation, so I thought I would ask :)

I found a community center in the city we are moving to and they have a covered pool. They offer water aerobics so I have decided that is how I'll start the exercise. We move on the 8th of February, so I'll start membership there that weekend. I'm also looking into Yoga at Helen's recommendation.

I'm still going back and forth about whether I am going to continue past the 30 days or take a day or two and then start again. Honestly, the only thing that I would do that would not be considered Whole30 is a have a glass of wine. I know I am running out of time to decide though, LOL.

I love reading what you post, even though I don't always comment :) Once the 30 days is up (I had committed to logging my food daily), I think I am going to expand my blog to discuss how I am feeling more like your log here. I think that will be more beneficial to my continuing to stay on plan.

Keep up the great work!

Day 28

Two. More. Days.

Okay, so I'm keeping with it, but it's still kind of exciting to know I've made it this far.

Not much exciting to report. I had a meeting, another meeting, then another meeting. Then I worked on a website (not the technical side). And then I completely flipped out on my family for turning our home into a pig stye (sans pigs) and went on strike for the evening. I think I might be a touch in PMS land. I have no physical symptoms whatsoever. But, dang, the wrath!

Eaten:

1. Spinach, herb, avocado omelet; blueberries; chicken sausage
  2. Leftover braised burger patties (2), sweet potato/coconut oil hash browns, giant pile of green leaf lettuce with a quickly whipped up ranch-like mayo dressing
  3. A sauté of apple, raisins, fennel, kohlrabi, and turkey/pork sausage

Oh, sleep last night...horrible. I started having anxiety about a presentation I'm giving in a few weeks. I haven't done public speaking for a few years and I'm very much regretting the decision to do it again. I tried to sleep for 8 hours. I'm giving myself credit for 7.5 but it was a restless sleep. Yet I feel fine today. Maybe I had too much over the weekend? Eh, who knows? I suspect I'll be fine tonight.

And that is all.

Day 29

Made my best evah mayo...and then my bestest avocado dressing.

I had another bad night's sleep. I took a hot bath right before bed. Probably a bad idea. I think my body got revved up. It was also unseasonably warm out which shouldn't really make a difference since I don't sleep in the garden. Somehow that affects me. Go figure. I darned well better sleep well tonight or else. Else what? Dunno. I'm >this< close to Kill All The Things.

Eaten:

1. Spinach, herb, carmelized onion omelet; chicken sausage; avocado slices
  2. Zucchini, marinara, turkey/pork sausage
  3. 2 hard cooked eggs, a beet
  4. Sweet potato, pork sausage, avocado dressing

Could have used more greens today.

I feel like I should have a party tomorrow. Day 30 party. What would a Day 30 party look like?

Archived